HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why don't we just bury Bulin in the minors?

Old
08-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Usual_Suspect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
ya sure, DD is a good prospect but he's one NOTHING compared to Bulin. What news flash did I miss ??
You said that Khabibin was an elite starter. His SP was 45th out of 47 regulars in the NHL last year.

Here's a good read you should check out:
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...or-khabibulin/

Quote:
So, could Nikolai Khabibulin rebound? The hope for the Oilers must be that he follows Roloson’s career path, resurging after a dismal performance. We’ve already seen one significant dip (following the lockout with Chicago, Khabibulin was awful for two seasons), and Belfour never emerged from the second, so the other potential positive comparison isn’t a favourable one.
Naturally, Khabibulin is a unique individual, and his future can’t be pigeon-holed based on what others have done. All that recent history can tell us is that the odds are certainly not in his favour.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
he has played with a bad back for a few years now, goalies get older and when he came here he had to flop around like a fish out of water with our Defence. That is what finally did him (his back) in.

I am no expert but I have watched a lot of Goalies and have studied the position. When I watch Bulin and the way he moves, the guy is good period, that's why he got the contract in the first place.
Make up your mind. Is he done or is he a starter?

Old
08-01-2011, 10:19 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
We don't want him here!

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
beaterson

All due respect to Khabby; he has a Cup, and 20ish years in the NHL-he was great for his time. I just don't think he has it anymore, and there's no reason to make the team suffer as a result.

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:25 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
You said that Khabibin was an elite starter. His SP was 45th out of 47 regulars in the NHL last year.

thank-you it was a good read.

some other facts about Bulin

-FOUR appearances in All-star game
-TWO olympic medals
-Stanley cup

This guy is not a flash in the pan, he has been everywhere and done everything as a Elite goalie. His stats suck as he has gotten older but bad back/ bad team seems like a bad fit for this guy.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Asher

Quote:

Quote:
That is the funny thing about the goaltending position, age doesn’t seem to matter if a guy has the competitive spirit and drive he can bounce back late in his career, and as a result it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility that the ‘Bulin wall bounces back as well.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569879

Well, Bob Stauffer believes in Khabby, so that's good enough for me.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Make up your mind. Is he done or is he a starter?
I do not know sir, if his back is better we will see a good goalie. Don't think anybody can tell how back surgery's turn out ??

Old
08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
beaterson

Quote:

-TWO olympic medals
-Stanley cup

This guy is not a flash in the pan, he has been everywhere and done everything as a Elite goalie. His stats suck as he has gotten older but bad back/ bad team seems like a bad fit for this guy.
You're flip-floppin more than Obama in this thread

Old
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569879

Well, Bob Stauffer believes in Khabby, so that's good enough for me.
Lol. I'd say poor Stauffer but he's doing alright these days.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
You're flip-floppin more than Obama in this thread
care to explain ?

Old
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
The question to ask is "IF" the Oilers sent him down to OKC. Would he report to the Barons? I don't think that he would do it, but I don't see the Oilers even going down that road. Tambo has said in the past that they're going to honor his contract.

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:

-TWO olympic medals
-Stanley cup

No one here is arguing that he wasn't a great goalie in the past.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
beaterson

Quote:
care to explain ?
You seem to be arguing both sides; he's an elite goalie who should start, he's damaged goods, etc

Old
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Fact: Khabibulin has been one of the worst starters in the league since the lockout.

Fact: We gain nothing from putting him in the minors.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
oilexport

Quote:
No one here is arguing that he wasn't a great goalie in the past.
people here talk about him as if he's a bum...what a joke

Old
08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
oilexport

Quote:
You seem to be arguing both sides; he's an elite goalie who should start, he's damaged goods, etc
I'm being a realist, he's used to be a great goalie. If he has a good recovery from back surgury and he's got a half decent team in front of him, he should do well. I did not flop or contradict anything. Read my posts again please...

Old
08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Asher

Quote:
people here talk about him as if he's a bum...what a joke
If people seem disrespectful it's frustration talking. I used to be a huge Khabby fan back when he played for the Jets. He's had a great career, but like everyone else who's had a great career, it doesn't last forever. He's got too many miles on him; the injuries have caught up, and he's not getting any younger. I honestly don't believe he's an NHL starter anymore, and I'm not even too thrilled with the idea of him being the backup, especially since DD has not proven himself yet to be a starter.

Old
08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
beaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If people seem disrespectful it's frustration talking. I used to be a huge Khabby fan back when he played for the Jets. He's had a great career, but like everyone else who's had a great career, it doesn't last forever. He's got too many miles on him; the injuries have caught up, and he's not getting any younger. I honestly don't believe he's an NHL starter anymore, and I'm not even too thrilled with the idea of him being the backup, especially since DD has not proven himself yet to be a starter.
And still two more years...

Old
08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Goalies are a weird breed. He may bounce back but the odds are against him due to his age and injury history. That being said, he'll be just fine backing up DD, sending him to the minors accomplishes nothing.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Asher

Quote:
And still two more years...
One thing I heard that I agree with (I think Mark Spector said it): this is Khabby's last chance in the NHL. If he does not have a bounce-back year he will not be on the team for the final year of his contract. The Oilers will either buy him out (doesn't save them cap space but it reduces the number of contracts) or make a deal to send him to a European team (like CHI did with Huet).

Old
08-01-2011, 10:50 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

vCash: 50
Personally, I'd like to see him pull a Tim Thomas, storming back from an off year and reclaiming his spot as the defacto #1. Do I think it will happen? Not really, but the chance is there.

Hopefully he's healed up, his legal issues get resolved and he comes into camp fit and refocused. He's not going to be the same player he once was as age gets the better of us all, but if healthy (mentally and physically) he still has the talent and experience to contribute and can still be a solid back-up/1B/mentor for Dubnyk.

We've all seen his name being dragged through the mud, and in certain aspects there was good cause, and while I realize that we Oiler fans are, as a whole, sick of the wait and see mantra, give the guy a chance. Burying him will solve nothing.

/rambling.

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
MS

Your management messed up when they didn’t try to get his contract voided as a result of the DUI conviction and pending jail time. Don’t know if it would have worked, but it would have been worth a shot.

The guy is done as an NHL-calibre netminder. Was horrendous last year, and isn’t going to get any younger or any better.

Best thing Edmonton could do is cut their losses and get the stink out of the organization and start fresh in net. Set up an arrangement for him to play in the KHL like Chicago did for Huet in Switzerland. Oilers would still have to pay the contract, but at least he wouldn’t be hurting the team with his performances.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:15 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Fact: Khabibulin has been one of the worst starters in the league since the lockout.

Fact: We gain nothing from putting him in the minors.
I wish I could believe that bulin was anywhere close to elite, but the numbers are just make to strong of a case against. He has been brutal since the lockout, he was good for 40 games one year and crap the rest.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Tyrolean

If we play Habby a lot we are assured of a top 5 pick next year. If we bury him them we improve 5 places up.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:37 PM
vespa99

[QUOTE=Joey Moss;35583639]That makes the Oilers look terrible.. Souray, then Khabibulin? God, Free Agents would never sign here again knowing they might get buried in the minors if they play poorly on a big contract. As bad as Khabibulin has played at times, he has also carried this team at times and like him or not he's better than any Free Agent goalie on the market.

Actually it makes the Oilers look like they hold players accountable for their performance. I would like players to know that if they sign a big contract and then play like crap that there will be repercussions. Letting players underachieve without any accountability is the old Oiler way. I hope those days are gone.

That having been said we might as well give him another chance to get back on track. It is not like we are a cup contender at this point anyway. As long as the team makes some sort of move with him (even to the press box) if he still sucks.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote