HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield/Winning Expectations

Old
08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

vCash: 500
Springfield/Winning Expectations

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and someone earlier today commented about Howson making progress learning on the job, so I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

It appears that Howson and the team are consciously signing and planning for a competitive team in Springfield next year. Is part of the motivation to raise the organizational standard for winning? I think it is an intentional effort and applaud the effort. I'm sure it's not cheap, but think that teaching the young guys that winning is ultimately what pro sports is all about is will yield great dividends. I only wish/wonder why we haven't aggressively pursued this path in the past.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Is part of the motivation to raise the organizational standard for winning?
Just to answer that question right off the bat, yes.

It doesn't matter how talented your players are, if they don't care about winning or losing, you will likely not have success. A good franchise will be competitive throughout the entire system - if the winning attitude is started at an early level, it will hopefully carry on with the young guys as they move up through the system. If they won't take losing well, they will compete harder. Talented guys who compete hard are damn tough to beat.

We saw it in Spokane a few years back - the team had some good players, but it just wasn't working. Bringing in an entirely new bench staff (literally - down to the equipment guys and all), and bringing in kids with the belief that losing isn't okay (I saw some very talented kids get beat out for roster spots by guys who just worked harder) ... changed everything. After awhile, everyone adopts this winning attitude and the guys compete with each other to be better as a whole. Our reward was a Memorial Cup ... the team that year was probably not even in the top-15 for talent in the CHL, but they simply refused to lose.

There's a lot to say for talent, but there's also a lot to say about being competitive.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and someone earlier today commented about Howson making progress learning on the job, so I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

It appears that Howson and the team are consciously signing and planning for a competitive team in Springfield next year. Is part of the motivation to raise the organizational standard for winning? I think it is an intentional effort and applaud the effort. I'm sure it's not cheap, but think that teaching the young guys that winning is ultimately what pro sports is all about is will yield great dividends. I only wish/wonder why we haven't aggressively pursued this path in the past.
I think partially is it to have the prospects in a hopefully winning enviroment.

Also, the Falcons owners/GM basically had a metting with the Jackets and said we want quality players or this affiliation won't work out. Many years of bad teams leads to bad attendance and losing money every season. By no means the Jackets problem or fault. Just Bruce Landon & Charlie Pompea need a winning team. Hopefully it works and we have more fans at the games and of course a winning team.

Also, I am seeing some of the plan the Falcons Calder Cup parade route comments. A team good on paper does not always translate. I am excited about the signings, but think we definately need to see how the team gels and plays together. October...I mean Sept. 28th needs to get here!

Hockeygirl2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
TSA0402

I'd say developing talent is more important than winning but yes.. mostly, having a competitive team goes hand in hand with developmental success. Its a delicate balance though.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
I think partially is it to have the prospects in a hopefully winning enviroment.

Also, the Falcons owners/GM basically had a metting with the Jackets and said we want quality players or this affiliation won't work out. Many years of bad teams leads to bad attendance and losing money every season. By no means the Jackets problem or fault. Just Bruce Landon & Charlie Pompea need a winning team. Hopefully it works and we have more fans at the games and of course a winning team.

Also, I am seeing some of the plan the Falcons Calder Cup parade route comments. A team good on paper does not always translate. I am excited about the signings, but think we definately need to see how the team gels and plays together. October...I mean Sept. 28th needs to get here!
Well I hope in some small way Lindsey Kramer is green with envy.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I think it is a good move by the Jackets to put top notch AHL talent in Springfield to do exactly what everyone on this board has been talking about. A culture of winning throughout this organization is a must.

Fans in Springfield must also never lose sight of the fact that it is always, and always will be, about the big club. Even if they are having a great year, and the Jackets need to, or want to, call up certain players, they will do just that mo matter how it affects the Falcons play. That is the nature of the beast.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
blahblah

I expect them to play as well as they can with the team we allow the to keep. The good news is that with the team loaded with AHL stars, we can pull our real prospects and, potentially, hear less complaining about it.

Beyond that, it's the minor league system. They win some years, they lose some years. Beyond that we might be making a bit more of it than what there is.

Last edited by blahblah: 08-04-2011 at 08:07 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:11 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

You also potentially raise the hope, prayer, and play

of said "AHL All Stars", that they might get the chance to hit the big sheet with the Jackets! Some of these guys, career AHL players have probably figured they got the short stick along the way, playing in the system for the Jackets might provide a chance to really shine.

As a fan of the CBJ, I am looking for a great story like that, a new fan favorite, our in house over achiever. Not likely, but not unheard of.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
blahblah

Maybe, when push comes to shove some people have illustrated why they haven't been on NHL teams. We'll see, but if we're picking them off with 1 year/2 way contracts (I think most were) I'm not all that hopeful.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:27 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Probably right

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Maybe, when push comes to shove some people have illustrated why they haven't been on NHL teams. We'll see, but if we're picking them off with 1 year/2 way contracts (I think most were) I'm not all that hopeful.
the other thing going against them is age, many of the new additions are now in their prime of their careers, so not having played in the NHL yet to any degree makes Coaches GM's look at them as having already peaked, and limited.

This is much the same as some Blue Jacket draft picks though.. that have done really well in the Canadian Jrs., but are looked at as too small, too slow, or lacking hockey IQ.

Dalton Smith, Boone Jenner.. makes me wince when the scouts / or fans say that guy needs to work with a power skate coach. Telling me a guy is not fleet of foot is like the kiss of death @ age 18. The NHL has always been about speed.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
the other thing going against them is age, many of the new additions are now in their prime of their careers, so not having played in the NHL yet to any degree makes Coaches GM's look at them as having already peaked, and limited.

This is much the same as some Blue Jacket draft picks though.. that have done really well in the Canadian Jrs., but are looked at as too small, too slow, or lacking hockey IQ.

Dalton Smith, Boone Jenner.. makes me wince when the scouts / or fans say that guy needs to work with a power skate coach. Telling me a guy is not fleet of foot is like the kiss of death @ age 18. The NHL has always been about speed.
Skating skills can be improved. Compete levels, desire, and Hockey instincts cannot.

These seem to be the more common traits among the most recent CBJ draftees and acquisitions. Going back to the asked question of what is the identity of the Blue Jackets.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Skating skills can be improved. Compete levels, desire, and Hockey instincts cannot.

These seem to be the more common traits among the most recent CBJ draftees and acquisitions. Going back to the asked question of what is the identity of the Blue Jackets.
Way too much of a generalization for me to completely agree. All I can say is.... Well sometimes.

Old
08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Well I hope in some small way Lindsey Kramer is green with envy.
He doesn't need to be; Anaheim is making similar moves in Syracuse.

(Yes, they were talking about changing affiliations before the offseason. I think Tampa Bay was the fan frontrunner at one point.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:15 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I'd say developing talent is more important than winning but yes.. mostly, having a competitive team goes hand in hand with developmental success. Its a delicate balance though.
This sort of goes to my original point. I think the team has always been of the mind of "developing prospects" first. And by this I think the focus has been on getting the kids lots of ice time, exposure to the pro game. This summers signings of AHL All-Stars will make that ice time harder to get and potentially slow development for some.

Having said that, I love that winning is a bit higher priority than in years past. And as others have mentioned, let's just hope that the team wins.

A delicate balance for sure.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I think it is a good move by the Jackets to put top notch AHL talent in Springfield to do exactly what everyone on this board has been talking about. A culture of winning throughout this organization is a must.

Fans in Springfield must also never lose sight of the fact that it is always, and always will be, about the big club. Even if they are having a great year, and the Jackets need to, or want to, call up certain players, they will do just that mo matter how it affects the Falcons play. That is the nature of the beast.
I completely agree. I don't complain about players that are re-called or the players that were supposed to be in Springy (a la Kyle Wilson last season) that end up with the Jackets instead. Good for the player. The AHL is for development. There are tons of fans that do not understand the concept and I understand the frustration of losing a talented player, but it's part of the process.

As for the comment skating ability can be improved, it's true to a point. If a player is so much slower footed than the NHL game, all the training in the world will not make them fast enough. I have seen it many times over the years. It's the reason Alex Giroux is not an NHL player, too slow.

Hockeygirl2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:31 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I am interested in only one thing... good development our prospects. That is all.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
I completely agree. I don't complain about players that are re-called or the players that were supposed to be in Springy (a la Kyle Wilson last season) that end up with the Jackets instead. Good for the player. The AHL is for development. There are tons of fans that do not understand the concept and I understand the frustration of losing a talented player, but it's part of the process.

As for the comment skating ability can be improved, it's true to a point. If a player is so much slower footed than the NHL game, all the training in the world will not make them fast enough. I have seen it many times over the years. It's the reason Alex Giroux is not an NHL player, too slow.
I also agree with your post. We have the AAA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians here in Columbus, the Clippers. I like them winning, but I love seeing the guys get called up to Cleveland to play with the big boys. For them, that is everything, and I wish them nothing but the best and hope they stick there.

The Baseball minor league system is much deeper than hockey's. I always enjoy seeing the new faces come up from AA, and A ball. Last season, many of the guys that were with the Clippers in the end, when they won the AAA championship were call-ups from Akron, and a few from one of their A affiliates.

If you keep it all in proper perspective, you will maintain your sanity.

I do want to see a good team in Springfield, though.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote