HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Still rumors of PHX interest in Isbister

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 02:45 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Still rumors of PHX interest in Isbister

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE: Jerry Brown reports Phoenix Coyotes GM Michael Barnett is still shopping for more depth for his roster next season. He's in the market for "a lower-tier defenceman" worth $1 million or less and a scoring winger. Free agent blueliners such as Jason Strudwick, Brad Norton and Rick Berry might fit the bill on the blueline, while rumours persist Barnett is very interested in Edmonton Oilers forward Brad Isbister, who recently re-signed with that club.

Spector's Note: My thanks to Jim Reilly. Isbister has thus far failed to play up to the hype as a potential power forward. If the Coyotes truly want him, and Brown suggests they have " a logjam of forwards" on which to draw trade-bait, the Oilers might be willing to listen to an offer Also, Strudwick signed with the Rangers last month. My thanks to everyone who pointed this out.

Barnett makes some strange trades, sometimes overpays for guys he likes. Hopefully that will be the case with Isbister. Plucking any of Tanabe, Mara, Kolanos, Taffe, Sjostrom would be nice, assuming guys like Langkow, Nagy, Doan, etc, are off the table.

Even a guy like Knyazev is intriguing, Ballard as well

Old
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
serum114

Hadley is reporting they signed Hull today, which may eliminate their need for Izzy as it bumps someone down into a depth role.

Old
08-06-2004, 02:55 PM
PigeonCamera

I'd be surprised to see another young d-man brought in, but you never know. If they flipped him in a deal where Taffe or Kolanos was the main asset coming back, I'd be okay with it.

The last time I watched a PHX game, I paid special attention to Taffe. He looked like a player. I'm not as sure about Kolanos, especially with the concussion problem. He was less than a point a game guy in his stint in Springfield last year too, for those of you that care. Still, he was certainly hyped after his 11 goals and 22 assists as a rookie a couple of years ago.

Old
08-06-2004, 02:56 PM
copperandblue

If they are interested, I would like to see Lowe target Nash.

Perhaps Nash and a 2nd for Izzy and Cross (if they are looking for a D in the 1 mil range).

Nash fills the disturber role that Edmonton has been missing and he fits the 4th line better than Izzy does (with Izzy in the line up, Edmonton is basically wasting a talent on the 4th line). The 800k price tag is attractive as well.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Hemsky4PM

This rumor actually makes sense. The Coyotes are painfully small at forward and could use a big body like Isbister. I would definately do Nash for Isbister straight across. It all depends on where the Oilers see Isbister fitting in, is he a top-6 or destined to be a 3-4th liner?

Old
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Big T

I am not on the side that says we should trade Izzy. IMHO it would be trading away a player on the low side of his percieved value, rather than when he's over-hyped. Just not good assett managment.

Now, after saying that, Nash is an interesting option. But not for the fourth line. I don't think we need a veteran filled 4th. That space should be used for developing the huge number of kids we've got.

T

Old
Mr Sakich

perhaps this could be a quantity for quality deal (go ahead and start flaming). They like Izzy, they could sure use a guy like Ulanov or Cross, and we also have a plethora of prospects. Pheonix has comrie, Lankow, Ricci, Taffe, Kolanos as natuaral centres and Doan and Chimera as guys who I think have played centre.

How about Izzy, Cross, and a prospect for Langkow? How about Izzy and Staois for Langkow? If Pheonix is worried about deptha t centre, how about Izzy, Horcoff , and Cross for Langkow?

Old
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

LOL how about Isbister for Comrie

I wouldn't mind a Isbister and Cross for Mara trade. that would be fine by me.

Taffe is also of interest as are Nagy (who isn't moving) and Langkow (who we might be able to get) as well

Actually Langkow would be great, And given their depth a C we could make a run at him. we have to offer up something else, maybe Niinimaki?

Also I don't like the idea of Nash at all.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:18 PM
looooob

doesn't Phoenix have literally a hundred forwards already? while I agree they could use some size, I can't see a fit?

as it is, they are looking to have some waiver issues, so I would imagine they would have to send the Oilers back at least one other NHL forward if not more as opposed to a prospect or defenceman

mind you I don't understand much of what Phoenix is doing this season so I guess all bets are off

Old
08-06-2004, 03:23 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
mind you I don't understand much of what Phoenix is doing this season ...
You and every other hockey fan in the world.

As Serum threw out there, Hull is confirmed to Phoenix now. That ones a head scratcher. Does Pheonix even have a passing Centerman?

They seem to have a lot of trigger guys but no one to actually move the puck around...or is it just me that sees it that way?

Old
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Actually Langkow would be great, And given their depth a C we could make a run at him. we have to offer up something else, maybe Niinimaki?
If lowe can get Langkow this is a 100 point team, hands down. IMHO. One of my favourite players. Just watch him for a few shifts next time the Yotes are in toen ... helluva a hockey player, and under-rated I think.

And, as speeds says, Barnett and Gretzky are hard to figure, anything is possible with these guys.

I know I'm dreaming ... but if somehow Lowe can get Langkow, say for Brewer and Isbister ... he's a genius. I know that is too much salary for PHX to absorb ... but a guy can dream.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I know I'm dreaming ... but if somehow Lowe can get Langkow, say for Brewer and Isbister ... he's a genius. I know that is too much salary for PHX to absorb ... but a guy can dream.
Thus leaving our top two d-men as Smith and Staios? You're definitely dreaming..

Old
08-06-2004, 03:29 PM

That was actually an old article reported on a month ago, somehow it ended up as a new article today but the site fixed it (evtribune.com).

With all of the Coyotes depth (quantity not necessarily quality) at the forward position, I personally don't see them trading for Isbister at this point.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:37 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Thus leaving our top two d-men as Smith and Staios? You're definitely dreaming..
Yup, the same two top defencemen for the Oilers as last year. Hardly a radical thought.

If it wasn't for the exhorbinant amount of PP time he's the #3 guy in E-town. (try and find a guy who got more PP time in the NHL last year and accomplished less with it, by any measure ... you won't). Though hopefully this was just stunningly obvious anyways.

Adding a solid vet to the D if Brewer got moved wouldn't be a bad idea ... but probably not necessary. Its not a bad bunch there as it is, and Semenov looks ready to eat more minutes. And perhaps Roger Nielsen will come to MacTavish in a dream and tell him to start using a forward on the PP point.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
I know I'm dreaming ... but if somehow Lowe can get Langkow, say for Brewer and Isbister ... he's a genius.
Tell me I didn't read this. If he makes that deal he should be fired.

I like Langkow a lot. He has a number of tools that the Oilers could use, and is maybe one of the most underrated players in the league.

But whether or not you like Brewer (I know you don't), he has serious trade value and could fetch much much more than Langkow IMO. And if PHO is chasing Isbister, then he's more than simply a throw in.

Maybe Isbister, Brewer and ??? for Langkow and Mara. Not that a deal like that would ever happen, I don't think Mara's on the table.

I'd want Taffe or Spiller for Isbister (although we don't really need a guy like Spiller... I just like the way he plays).

Old
08-06-2004, 03:54 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Tell me I didn't read this. If he makes that deal he should be fired.

I like Langkow a lot. He has a number of tools that the Oilers could use, and is maybe one of the most underrated players in the league.

But whether or not you like Brewer (I know you don't), he has serious trade value and could fetch much much more than Langkow IMO. And if PHO is chasing Isbister, then he's more than simply a throw in.

Maybe Isbister, Brewer and ??? for Langkow and Mara. Not that a deal like that would ever happen, I don't think Mara's on the table.

I'd want Taffe or Spiller for Isbister (although we don't really need a guy like Spiller... I just like the way he plays).
Well, the concensus here was that the Oilers should be able to get Frolov for Carter. :lol

Hindsight shows the Comrie for Legwand or Datsyuk proposals to be a smidge optimistic as well.

All of us rate our own team's players a bit high, don't you think? A player's salary, relative to their value, has a huge impact on their trade return of course. And this applies to both Isbister and Brewer.

Edit to add: I remember that lowetide suggested that if Lowe could get York for Poti he would be a genius! This was a while before the trade deadline that year. Terrific call, and a great trade.

Last edited by igor*: 08-06-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old
08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
MrMackey

I agree, I think every team's fans tend to rate their players at a higher value than their true worth. I also agree with the salary relative to the value.

After signing Morris to a $3.5M deal (he got a raise too), I'm wondering if Gretzky & co. really feel that Brewer is as grossly overpaid as some here do.

Isbister's value is only going to be high if the Coyotes really want him. Otherwise his trade value will remain very low.

Old
08-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Asiaoil

Hmmm -Brewer for Langkow........ Well Langkow is a solid 20 goal 50-60 point center who is wonderful 5 on 5 (especially on that Phoeonix team which was brutal defensively). Sounds like the player MacT has been dreaming of for our top line. I really have no idea what Brew's trade value is - but doubt Langkow is on the table anyway.

Isbister for Taffe may work given the logjam the dogs have at center (Langkow, Comrie, Devereux, Ricci, Taffee, Kolonos) and our excess bodies on the wing. Something has to give there.

Old
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Edit to add: I remember that lowetide suggested that if Lowe could get York for Poti he would be a genius! This was a while before the trade deadline that year. Terrific call, and a great trade.
That was a great deal, especially considering the circumstances surrounding Poti at the time.

I was ecstatic about the Carter deal and really liked the Comrie deal too. I think if we could get similar value in a Brewer trade I'd be happy. But we really can't afford to thin out our defense more than it is right now, so we'd have to get a dman back.

Old
08-06-2004, 04:43 PM
igor*

Quote:
After signing Morris to a $3.5M deal (he got a raise too), I'm wondering if Gretzky & co. really feel that Brewer is as grossly overpaid as some here do.
Ya, I'm impressed that LaCroix was able to dig himself out of his own hole by giving Morris away. Having said that ... Gratton wasn't exactly a prize in return. A 'your mistake for my mistake' kinda thing maybe.

How much is Jovanowsky really worth? At that coin I don't think many teams would be interested at all, I don;t think many would take him for an 8th ... though there's always the big5 I suppose. Those guys are living in a different world. it's a strnage little market, this one.

Old
08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Hmmm -Brewer for Langkow........ Well Langkow is a solid 20 goal 50-60 point center who is wonderful 5 on 5 (especially on that Phoeonix team which was brutal defensively). Sounds like the player MacT has been dreaming of for our top line. I really have no idea what Brew's trade value is - but doubt Langkow is on the table anyway.

Isbister for Taffe may work given the logjam the dogs have at center (Langkow, Comrie, Devereux, Ricci, Taffee, Kolonos) and our excess bodies on the wing. Something has to give there.
Ya, Legwand is another player in the same mould. But Poile would never bite.

But Gretz and Barnett ... they could do any thing at any time, so there's hope. Old school, bless 'em.

Old
08-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
That was a great deal, especially considering the circumstances surrounding Poti at the time.

I was ecstatic about the Carter deal and really liked the Comrie deal too. I think if we could get similar value in a Brewer trade I'd be happy. But we really can't afford to thin out our defense more than it is right now, so we'd have to get a dman back.
Yeah those were all great deals - but I won't claim to be thrilled at the time of the Carter swap (although not as outraged as many).

An interesting thing is happening out there - the Oilers used to trade players who were all-stars and went on the seriously upgrade their new teams. That does not happen anymore - in fact most of the guys we deal turn out to be major disappointments once they go elsewhere. Examples include Carter, Comrie (jury's still out), Niinimaa (although he played better late in the season). You could also say that Weight has not met expectations in St Louis given his salary. So maybe the Oilers have been taking advantage of a reputation that just isn't there anymore - and more power to Lowe for doing it.

As for trading Brew - well as I've outlined elsewhere - this may be the time to do it. Given the nature of his contract - 2 things will happen next summer:

- he will pull off a break-out season and demand big dollars (at least $4-5 million) that we can't afford and we trade him. This will happen with or without a new CBA that limits costs.

- he will continue to disappoint and we will have a player who is over-paid with a reduced trade value.

More than anything that's why I wanted Lowe to go arb with him - to force a 2 year deal at a manageable salary that protected the Oilers should he finally break-out. With Brew's bad numbers - getting a 2 year deal without bonuses at around the same salary that he got from Lowe should have been a slam dunk. Why Lowe didn't take advantage of the opportunity is beyond me.

Old
08-06-2004, 05:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
what's all this Brewer trade talk?! I would be floored if Lowe decided that 150k was to much extra for Brewer to lead the defense and decided to trade him!

08-06-2004, 05:27 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
what's all this Brewer trade talk?! I would be floored if Lowe decided that 150k was to much extra for Brewer to lead the defense and decided to trade him!
I think it stared when Lankow's name came up, and then the fact that Brewer is the only guy we've got who could bring him here. I don't think Lowe has any intention of trading him, but we do need a 1st line center and if there's anyone out there who would overpay for Brewer, it's Gretzky. Add that to the initial inquiry for Isbister, and a big deal could be made. I don't think anyone is seriously expecting us to deal him (or even Isbister for that matter), but it'd be something to consider if something like a Brewer and Isbister for Lankow, Nash, and Tanabe deal came up.

Old
08-06-2004, 05:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't think our blueline survies getting Tababe in return for Brewer. Even a Brewer playing bad is very important to our team.

Closed Thread