HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Preds officially become a

Old
08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Have the Preds officially become a

Feeder team?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
pekkaslap

I'd say we were looked at as that before. These recent events have done nothing but reinforce that view among others I'd say. Unless and until we can resign a home-grown elite player to a long term contract I'd say the Preds will be seen as somewhat aof a farm team for the bigger market teams. A very competitive farm team mind you, but a team who can't keep it's own stud players it develops.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

and maybe that's what it takes to keep a team in Nashville.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
and maybe that's what it takes to keep a team in Nashville.
You don't think the fan base will tire of this & erode?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
lstcyr

Isn't Weber the first home-grown elite player we've had? I could make an argument for Vokoun though as he developed here. And we signed him to a long-term agreement here.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Soundgarden

Let's see how this turns out first, guys. If/when we sign Suter and Rinne longterm then it'll be more likely that Weber does too. Or if/when we get some more offensivie help he'll probably sign long term. It's not like Webs is demanding to trade him to Detroit or something.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Sabreality

i've always thought of Nashville as Buffalo West...Great tenured coach, 'smaller' market, good at developing/drafting, always tough to play against.

i hope you guys get a shiny new billionaire owner someday too...its not fun having that dreaded 'self-imposed' cap.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I have lost every inch of faith in this team. We aren't committed to winning. This offseason has shown our true colors. We are too busy worrying about new jerseys and additions to the arena than the actual team. My opinion has never been lower

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Vokoun - developed, signed, and dumped.
Hammer - while most of us don't see him as a 1st pair guy, he's pretty good, and while not a star, surely a visible and desirable guy we lost for nothing.
Hartnell. Top 6 power forward; lost for nothing.
How bout Timonen - again, not a star, but pretty good and we got......

Sure, every one of those was part of the Liarpold fiasco, but....... SW is that much bigger, that much more visible, and that much more coveted and if you're trying to make the point that Nashville has turned the corner it seems you have to handle this better.

That said, this isn't done yet - we lose 2 of the big 3, then you gotta' wonder, but until then, we've signed our guys like Leggy and Erat and they're just as much a credible/important player as a Hartnell or a Hamhuis. Our big 3 are bigger than Kimmo, probably bigger than Vokoun, so it would seem that we either make a real offer to keep these guys or realize that we simply don't offer the opportunities (yet) that are attractive enough to keep players in their prime.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I have lost every inch of faith in this team. We aren't committed to winning. This offseason has shown our true colors. We are too busy worrying about new jerseys and additions to the arena than the actual team. My opinion has never been lower
The UFA market was ridiculous and the only two trades that everyone keeps harping about sent forwards and the #8 overall to Philly for Richards and Carter ... not defensive prospects. When we trade picks for Fisher ... YAY! We're committed to winning. When we don't get Richards or Carter .... BOOO! Poile wants to lose. Bi-polar doesn't begin to describe the fanbase here. As for Weber, nobody knows the details of what actually happened in the negotiations, just the extreme positions staked out by both sides for the arbiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Vokoun - developed, signed, and dumped.
Hammer - while most of us don't see him as a 1st pair guy, he's pretty good, and while not a star, surely a visible and desirable guy we lost for nothing.
Hartnell. Top 6 power forward; lost for nothing.
How bout Timonen - again, not a star, but pretty good and we got......

Sure, every one of those was part of the Liarpold fiasco, but....... SW is that much bigger, that much more visible, and that much more coveted and if you're trying to make the point that Nashville has turned the corner it seems you have to handle this better.

That said, this isn't done yet - we lose 2 of the big 3, then you gotta' wonder, but until then, we've signed our guys like Leggy and Erat and they're just as much a credible/important player as a Hartnell or a Hamhuis. Our big 3 are bigger than Kimmo, probably bigger than Vokoun, so it would seem that we either make a real offer to keep these guys or realize that we simply don't offer the opportunities (yet) that are attractive enough to keep players in their prime.
Using the firesale days to claim we don't keep players is a stretch. Hamhuis wanted more money than a #3 d-man gets in most big markets, nevermind Nashville.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The UFA market was ridiculous and the only two trades that everyone keeps harping about sent forwards and the #8 overall to Philly for Richards and Carter ... not defensive prospects. When we trade picks for Fisher ... YAY! We're committed to winning. When we don't get Richards or Carter .... BOOO! Poile wants to lose. Bi-polar doesn't begin to describe the fanbase here. As for Weber, nobody knows the details of what actually happened in the negotiations, just the extreme positions staked out by both sides for the arbiter.
There's decent offensive prospects in the organization, though, that might have been offered up.

(Disclaimer: This counterpoint is in no way intended to endorse the conspiracy theory that a lack of such trades taking place is in any way the cause of or a major factor in Shea Weber's arbitration hearing.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
of course we arent.

thats a ridiculous assertion considering Weber, Suter, and Rinne are all still here.

Hamhuis was situational... if not for the fact that we had Suter and Weber in front of him, I suspect we'd have paid Hamhuis a fair contract and kept him.

same thing goes for Timonen. It would have been foolish to sign Kimmo for 8 years like philly did with what we had in the pipeline.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
of course we arent.

thats a ridiculous assertion considering Weber, Suter, and Rinne are all still here.

Hamhuis was situational... if not for the fact that we had Suter and Weber in front of him, I suspect we'd have paid Hamhuis a fair contract and kept him.

same thing goes for Timonen. It would have been foolish to sign Kimmo for 8 years like philly did with what we had in the pipeline.
Weber wont be here long and neither will suter.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Thank you Carnac the Magnificent.

Are we going to lose Tootoo, too?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
yyou dont know that, yet.
'

and we are only a "feeder" if we lose a player because we cant afford them, not because they dont want to be here.

we have the money to sign them both... it will be up to them to decide if they want to stay here

Old
08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
yyou dont know that, yet.
and we are only a "feeder" if we lose a player because we cant afford them, not because they dont want to be here.
we have the money to sign them both... it will be up to them to decide if they want to stay here
Well, what are we if we can't create an environment where our guys 'want' to stay?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

A halfway house?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Well, what are we if we can't create an environment where our guys 'want' to stay?
Edmonton? I don't know, I give up.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
depends on how widespread this feeling is.

if we lose one player for this reason, then we shrug it off and move on.

if we lose all three, then we have to decide if we need to draft/sign different kinds of players, change coaches, or whatever the cause of the problem is.

but we are a long way from that point...

Old
08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
I like this guy.

C'mon Nashville, get pissed!!!

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'd rather lose the team than have a team with a vagina. The feeding has to stop. Start signing your big stars and get the ball rolling.
I'd rather watch NHL hockey in my city, tyvm...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
MarkMM

Definitely not a good sign the way things have gone, but no need to let hysterics drive us beyond reasonable balance.

Hamhuis wasn't worth keeping at his price, and why did he leave for nothing? Even though most reasonably expected him not to return, he wasn't traded at the deadline because ownership and management wanted to keep him for the playoff run to give the team the best chance to advance. That's a commitment to winning.

The others were the result of an ownership fiasco. Perhaps it's just to look at that period and be grateful Nashville still has a team, and with ownership that is stable.

We don't know that this impasse is the result of ownership's lack of commitment, perhaps it's the ugly reality that Weber wants to leave for greener pastures? Maybe coming home to BC for the summer and seeing what the province is like when it knows its team is a contender has made Shea rethink being in a team that has a great city but one that constantly needs to rediscover it has a hockey team. IF that is true, IF, then this may be an unfortunate circumstance but will not necessarily be repeated by future home-grown stars.

It's less important what's happened than how management and ownership acts going forward. If necessary, trade Weber for a king's ransom, sign Rinne and Suter to long-term deals, and life will seem rosy.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd rather watch NHL hockey in my city, tyvm...
I understand that. I'm just blowing off steam. You'll understand years down the line when the fanbase gets old and becomes jaded. It happens to everyone that doesn't root for the Red Wings. It doesn't make you less of a fan, it just means you ream them a new ass hole everyone once in a while. It's out of love

Old
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
CloakroomCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I understand that. I'm just blowing off steam. You'll understand years down the line when the fanbase gets old and becomes jaded. It happens to everyone that doesn't root for the Red Wings. It doesn't make you less of a fan, it just means you ream them a new ass hole everyone once in a while. It's out of love
Actually it makes one look childish and immature.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakroomCrusader View Post
Actually it makes one look childish and immature.
YAY ARBITRATION!!

Better?