HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Weber?

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
What to do with Weber?

What should the team do with Weber?

Trade him? Will we get full value for him now that it is out he likely wants out? Will we trade him at the deadline and hurt our chances of possibly making the playoffs?

How about accept an offersheet next offseason? Make it to July 1st and accept an offersheet if one comes. Of course nothing is stopping a team from offering something insane especially with Rinne and Suter possibly being free agents. And of course, nothing is stopping a team from offering a one year deal where even if we sign him to that we could lose him to UFA the following year.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Hard to make a decision at this point without knowing the result of the arbitration.

That said, if Weber doesn't want to stay we need to find a way to move him. 6'4" D-men who shoot the puck through the net don't grow on trees.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I really dont know what to do. I say if we truly dont believe he will be here after this season then trade him now.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

For starters they should offer him something less insulting than the 4.75 arbitration number they threw out there. Isn't he already making 4.5? I get that they want to under offer him, but that's just a joke.

Why is it such a given to some that Weber wants out? Maybe he just wants to ensure the team is going to be able to actually contend if he stays around. I'm sure he doesn't want to sign for 7 years at 7 per year only to find out the next day they've traded Suter and Rinne because they will lose them next offseason.

Old
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Old
08-02-2011, 09:08 PM
AEM6729

Yup. PAY THE MAN.

This might be the doom and gloom talking but for me there's 2 ways this could go down:

1. Spend some money to bring in some offense this year. Do what Shea (and really what the entire fan base) wants. Then pay the damn man! Sign him to big money and big years. Everyone is happy.

2. Be typically stingy, bring in some Mike Fisher-esque player (or like three Joel Ward-esque players), lose Weber. Maybe lose Suter and Rinne also. Fan base implosion.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Yup. PAY THE MAN.

This might be the doom and gloom talking but for me there's 2 ways this could go down:

1. Spend some money to bring in some offense this year. Do what Shea (and really what the entire fan base) wants. Then pay the damn man! Sign him to big money and big years. Everyone is happy.

2. Be typically stingy, bring in some Mike Fisher-esque player (or like three Joel Ward-esque players), lose Weber. Maybe lose Suter and Rinne also. Fan base implosion.
Those are the 2 outcomes I see

Old
08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Unless Weber publicly states that he wants a trade, I don't think his trade value is hurt. If we get a favorable arbitration ruling, his value may be even more than if Poile gave into his demands.

When to trade him is the million dollar question. Probably not until next summer, or this trade deadline of we are way out of it

Old
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

I think we should accept whatever figure the arbiter decides on, then go to work on getting the most out of our offense this season, possibly make some moves, see how far we can go in the postseason, and then readdress the issue over next summer. Possibly signing Suter and Rinne to extensions during the season if possible.

I personally don't want to think about a trade at this point. If at all possible, we should pull out all the stops to try to work on a longer term deal. If we give up and trade him (unless he absolutely demands a trade), then I think it would be reflected on our franchise as a monumental failure. After all of the steps forward we have taken, I think it will pretty much wreck the progress we have made, especially in the eyes of the other teams and in the media. Whether we deserve it or not, we'll be labeled as the team that can't keep its stars, and we'll be reminded again what being a small 'non-traditional' market means.

Let's not hit the panic button quite yet. The only problem now is that there is a pretty epic crossroads for the franchise coming up next year when we will attempt to resign 3 stars. Until then, though, I think I'm just going to try to enjoy the season. Who knows, if we make it beyond the second round, that may satisfy some of the folks who "want to play for contenders."

Old
08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
RaiderDoug

Trade him. Work the phones tonight.

Unless there's a 4-5-6 year deal that comes out of this in the very near future, he's as good as gone.

And this is an asset that marches closer to FA every day - meaning every single day he's worth less (see why no one wants to give anything for Parise right now?).

You know what 2 years of reasonably priced Shea Weber could bring back in the trade market? Just about anything we want. What 1 year brings? Not so much. Less than 1 year - check the Thrashers return for Kovalchuk and make sure you have a barf bag nearby.

If he has an issue with the way we build our team, too bad. We're never going to be a spend to the max team. Just not going to happen. We have money that can be allocated to build a competitive team - we can pay hefty salaries, but not 15 of them like some teams. If that's a problem for Weber, then that's not going to change in the next, oh, 10 years. Time to move on.

I also don't see this having an effect on Suter/Rinne. It's not like we can be outbid (we have to spend the dough), and for most players, $$$ still rules. Besides, who's to say the assets we get in return for Weber won't make us a better team. I've always said it isn't wise to spend 20% of the cap on the defense corps - spread it out.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Broom of the System

If it appears that he doesn't want to be here, or that we can't do the things that he requires in order to stay (improve the offense or whatever), then I say that we should trade him as soon as possible.

If we wont be keeping him, it only makes sense to maximize the return and that would be accomplished best by trading him sooner rather than later.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
braindead

Hold on and find out what he says. Then decide. He has to explain his rationale for why this happened. Poile may already know. I don't for a second believe this is an issue about paying him. The Preds have the cash and want to spend it on him. It's about years or about waiting out someone else like Doughty or wanting to have more time to negotiate or wanting Suter/Rinne or wanting to leave or something. We need to know what it is.

He didn't go for the 2 year arb option which would seem to make more sense for him if he wants to get to UFA. Next year's award wouldn't likely be much different, he loses if he has a career ending injury this year,etc. I think something else is at play and it could be something much less drastic than scenarios being mentioned.

If, however, he wants to leave or is ambivalent, re-sign Suter asap, trade Weber for Parise asap and take your chances.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:37 PM
predfan24

For sure think we should start shopping him after he gets his one year deal. If you trade him before the season starts the team that trades for him gets him for one year and then he is still RFA. We should be able to get King's ransom for him.

It's unfortunate it has got to this situation but let's face facts if Weber really was dead set on being here he would have signed for 3 or more years already. Need to get as much as we can for him while his value is sky high.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Ill tell you what we do with Weber. We tell him to have his ass in Nashville the first day of camp and be prepared to have another big season busting heads and scoring goals.

You tell him we are playing to win, just like we do every year and he is the captain of this team and we expect him to act like it and play like it.

Then we play Predator hockey and look for an opportunity to make the team better via trade when it presents itself.

This is the same plan that we have followed for the last three years following the firesale, and we have improved every one of those three years.

We make good solid offers to extend Suter and Rinne, and we see if we can get Radulov back.

And then come next summer, We make Weber another offer, and he takes it or he doesnt.

Im over this. Time and time again this TEAM has proven its bigger than any one player, and always seems to play better than the sum of its parts.

I hope we have Weber for many years to come, but if we dont, it wont be the end of the world.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:21 PM
weeze

If SW and his Agent were firm with the 8mill+ stance then I find it hard to believe SW wants to be a Pred. Even though we can pay that, I dont think we should. Would hurt chances of resigning our own players and ability to bring in new players. And vise versa with GMDP, if he was firm with his 4.7m offer then shame on him and the Preds deserve what happens.

Until we know what the specifics were, it is hard to know who is at fault for this mess and who was being truthfull. Time will tell.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:19 AM
hockey diva

Trade him and at least salvage something from this debacle. Changing my profile pic.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Those are the 2 outcomes I see
Number one is the option because think of Carolina Hurricanes they won the cup and they basically tore up that team afterwards but I don't hear any screaming for them to move or this or that. Because they won the cup and they went for it and the fans will always remember that run and they will put up with retooling. Weber and Suter and Rinne and a Top 6 forward and then you take your shot and the owners will not make any money and probably loose some money but the time is now and with the tandem I mentioned and when it passes and we did or didn't we gave it our best try. This franchise living on revenue sharing life support has caught up to them. All we need is a top scorer not a Mike Fisher who is and was never a top scorer. Then all the other pieces will fall into place. Then if it doesn't work out unload everybody who isn't under contract and maybe then Weber or Suter might have to go but let them have their run and then we have no right to complain

Old
08-03-2011, 01:06 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Number one is the option because think of Carolina Hurricanes they won the cup and they basically tore up that team afterwards but I don't hear any screaming for them to move or this or that. Because they won the cup and they went for it and the fans will always remember that run and they will put up with retooling. Weber and Suter and Rinne and a Top 6 forward and then you take your shot and the owners will not make any money and probably loose some money but the time is now and with the tandem I mentioned and when it passes and we did or didn't we gave it our best try. This franchise living on revenue sharing life support has caught up to them. All we need is a top scorer not a Mike Fisher who is and was never a top scorer. Then all the other pieces will fall into place. Then if it doesn't work out unload everybody who isn't under contract and maybe then Weber or Suter might have to go but let them have their run and then we have no right to complain
almost exactly what i told my friend earlier.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

yea i agree, our window of opportunity is here and its closing. Poile/Ownership need to get their heads on straight before were looking back a few years from now saying why didnt we just spend the extra few million on some offense, WHY??!?!? Bcuz i know I'll be saying that in a few years if we dont take our chances

Old
08-03-2011, 03:16 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

roll those f'ing dice Poile!!!

Old
08-03-2011, 03:29 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Thre Peds have the cash and want to spend it on him.
these are words.. the facts so far suggest the Preds don't want to spend money on anyone

Old
08-03-2011, 03:49 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Preds should trade him ASAP.

Nobody I have read thinks it's about the money. There is something else going on.

Keeping an unhappy player through the season is a bad move. It is much worse if it is the Captain. Much worse!

Add in the risk of injury and I totally think the risk outwieghs the benefit. What are the chances Weber is worth more next offseason? He'll be most valuable when his arb goes through and there is financial certainty.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:54 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The big unanswered questions ....
1) What did Poile offer?
2) What did Weber request?
3) What length of term is each side looking for?
4) How much of the deal is Shea looking for in signing bonuses paid in early years?
5) What kind of NMC/NTC is each side looking for?

Without at least those basic details, we're all just blindly pointing and assigning blame. The arbitration numbers are extreme from both parties to get the arbitrator to rule somewhere in the middle with a reasonable one year number ... but those are the ones we know so we'll focus there.

How long until the puck drops?

Old
08-03-2011, 04:15 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ill tell you what we do with Weber. We tell him to have his ass in Nashville the first day of camp and be prepared to have another big season busting heads and scoring goals.

You tell him we are playing to win, just like we do every year and he is the captain of this team and we expect him to act like it and play like it.

Then we play Predator hockey and look for an opportunity to make the team better via trade when it presents itself.

This is the same plan that we have followed for the last three years following the firesale, and we have improved every one of those three years.

We make good solid offers to extend Suter and Rinne, and we see if we can get Radulov back.

And then come next summer, We make Weber another offer, and he takes it or he doesnt.

Im over this. Time and time again this TEAM has proven its bigger than any one player, and always seems to play better than the sum of its parts.

I hope we have Weber for many years to come, but if we dont, it wont be the end of the world.
Are you David Poile?

Anyway, what you said is probably what will happen. But what others have said...that we have a window of opportunity to win a Cup that appears to be rapidly closing...is true too. This team has proven it's bigger than any one player, and we play better than the sum of our parts, but it's no longer enough to just make the playoffs. We tasted the second round last year and we have so much potential to go further than that with Weber/Suter/Rinne. We could possibly go my entire LIFE without winning a Stanley Cup and I've been a fan since I was 12 years old. You have to take the opportunity when it's there.

Nobody is content with just making the playoffs anymore. We want more.

Old
08-03-2011, 06:39 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

One option I'd eliminate is a deadline trade. The team wouldn't get his value until next summer (or this one).

Closed Thread