HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout solution: Mandatory Incentive-laden contracts?

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 04:08 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Lockout solution: Mandatory Incentive-laden contracts?

Wouldn't this solve all the problems? Do you think the union will call this a veiled salary cap too?

Old
08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Capitano

I have thought of something very similar, but I'm not sure how it would fly.

Essentially the base salary of any player would be 1 million. Then the salary would increase when a formula is applied. Like if you score 50 goals, you get 5 million. 80 points is another sum of money. Nobody will go for this though because there is no security from a player's POV.

Your idea is better though...mandatory incentives....something tells me that the players will wouldn't go for it. The players like getting paid to do nothing...they don't want to have to achieve anything for their money.

Cap

Old
08-06-2004, 05:56 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I have thought of something very similar, but I'm not sure how it would fly.

Essentially the base salary of any player would be 1 million. Then the salary would increase when a formula is applied. Like if you score 50 goals, you get 5 million. 80 points is another sum of money. Nobody will go for this though because there is no security from a player's POV.

Your idea is better though...mandatory incentives....something tells me that the players will wouldn't go for it. The players like getting paid to do nothing...they don't want to have to achieve anything for their money.

Cap
Players would hate the idea. A hard salary cap in comparison with that is like fine wine

Old
08-06-2004, 09:50 PM
habsfansam

it'd be a very effective way to keep salaries for RFAs low, but once players get too much bargaining power (ufa or the nhlpa steps in with a "fund" to keep all the players in their highpowered lifestyles), then it's all downhill.

if i were a gm, it's definitely how i would try things... it keeps cost low, and promotes success. The only danger is that you put too much emphasis on the individual and the team suffers with 20 guys who all want to score all the time. Team based incentives would be necessary...

currently the players will come out on top in any system the nhl execs setup because while money seems to grow on trees for the nhl (it is afterall an entertainment industry that went from paying Gretz 1mill to paying Jagr 11mil in about 10 years), skilled hockey players definitely do not. there is no system in place to punish a player that sits out... sure they lose out on a few games, but teams simply can't afford to have a skilled guy out of the lineup anymore, the dillution of the talent with 30teams is the root problem. The league simply grew too fast without changing the way it dealt with players and contracts...

the owners seriously need a setup much like the nhlpa, something where the overarching body can fine owners for fiscal irresponsibility... idiots like Sather need to be regulated. it'd keep them in line... finally.

Closed Thread