HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

LHS trying to stop people from purchasing online

Old
08-10-2011, 02:02 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

vCash: 500
LHS trying to stop people from purchasing online

Is anybody else's local shop doing this? I stopped in to grab a pair of used skates the other day and they had a sign reading "Skate fitting will now cost $40 if you do not purchase skates. We will gladly refund your money if you bring in a receipt from another local shop". I think it's a good thing as I always support LHS's. At first I thought they were trying to make you buy at there store until I read the last part. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Haven't seen it in Vancouver. I always get my stuff from LHS. I only order online if there are no shops around.

It's kinda sad to see this though, that just means a lot of people are taking up the time of the staff @ LHS and not buying there.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Fred89

I want to tell what happens here in Milan, since i went to a LHS months ago, and i asked them some skate prices, for Bauer and Reebok skates.

Well other than not telling me prices for Bauer skates (and you should do since i can be a potential customer and they have them at the catalog), they told me the price of a 6K skate from Reebok, and I was shocked since they cost 185$ according to IW. They sell them at 299€, and the difference can't be only related to import. It's just trying to live selling little amount of skates at an high price, instead of trying to make everyone buy from your shop instead of purchasing skates on the web..

I've bought my first pair of skates via a friend in the US, luckily they fitted nice even if a bit big (and they didn't cost a lot, One20) and right now i know what fits me better, but i really can't think to spend almost 150€ extra on the skate purchase without a real purpose, plus i should probably spend a lot on first sharpening and baking (since first sharpen cost 15€, other sharpenings 10€) so the same skate will cost 200€ more or less..

I would like to try everything on but money is a "problem" at my age and i can't really effort to waste it.

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred89 View Post
I want to tell what happens here in Milan, since i went to a LHS months ago, and i asked them some skate prices, for Bauer and Reebok skates.

Well other than not telling me prices for Bauer skates (and you should do since i can be a potential customer and they have them at the catalog), they told me the price of a 6K skate from Reebok, and I was shocked since they cost 185$ according to IW. They sell them at 299, and the difference can't be only related to import. It's just trying to live selling little amount of skates at an high price, instead of trying to make everyone buy from your shop instead of purchasing skates on the web..

I've bought my first pair of skates via a friend in the US, luckily they fitted nice even if a bit big (and they didn't cost a lot, One20) and right now i know what fits me better, but i really can't think to spend almost 150 extra on the skate purchase without a real purpose, plus i should probably spend a lot on first sharpening and baking (since first sharpen cost 15, other sharpenings 10) so the same skate will cost 200 more or less..

I would like to try everything on but money is a "problem" at my age and i can't really effort to waste it.
The difference isn't that crazy in Canada/US, so that extra mark up makes sense if you purchase there. Also, since you live in Europe, wouldn't buying Graf stuff be cheaper?

Old
08-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Fred89

It probably might be more fair than that, but i've found some good stuffs for protective gears and eventually also skates in Germany that allows you to return stuffs by paying only the return shipping and they change you the product if you need to replace with different size.
I've taken a look at Grafs as i started looking for new skates, but i've seen some of their skates from my friends and while i've found them very supportive and with custom fits, i've compared weight and lightness and i still like more Bauer fit and stuffs..
I'll probably need a Graf sidas footbed though if the built in footbed isn't so comfortable as i hope, but right now since i don't have particular feet problems, i won't stick with them.

Also, I've found an easy way to get skates from US with a dedicated service for shippings from US to Italy that is Consegnato.com so i'll probably get mine from IW and then spend a 30-40 on sharpening and baking.
Anyway the weirdest thing from Europe is that if you take a look at hockeymonkey.eu they charge an incredible amount of shipping costs that isn't ever comparable for example to the hockeyoffice's 14 one-fee charge.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
AIREAYE

Though that's not a common practice (I haven't seen it) here in Canada, I have heard of several LHS' implementing it in the states. The guys over on MSH had a heated debate over this fee, but it essentially does what Wilch says. People basically use their LHS as a fitting service free of charge while they waste the time of the employees and don't buy from them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
shoeshine boy

the local shops here in Atlanta have been doing that for years though it's usually a $20 fee instead of $40.
for awhile there was really only one non-rink LHS in town and they used to jack up prices of some things so high that it made no sense to buy from them. example: my first pair of shoulder pads. I could buy them online for $45 but the LHS wanted $85+. no frakkin' way.
now we've got 3 shops scattered around the north side of town and all have reasonable prices.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Haven't seen it in Vancouver. I always get my stuff from LHS. I only order online if there are no shops around.

It's kinda sad to see this though, that just means a lot of people are taking up the time of the staff @ LHS and not buying there.
Actually, might not matter. I tried ordering a Bauer visor a few weeks ago and they contacted me saying some major brands couldn't be exported outside the USA. Easton, Bauer, Warrior.

But yeah, anything as far as fit (skates, helmet, etc) or feel (stick) I always buy from a LHS anyways. Visor one of the few exceptions, ended up buying a Hejduk brand visor from IW.

When you tack on shipping to here in Canada, often it's just better to buy local. And get them baked for free.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Actually, might not matter. I tried ordering a Bauer visor a few weeks ago and they contacted me saying some major brands couldn't be exported outside the USA. Easton, Bauer, Warrior.

But yeah, anything as far as fit (skates, helmet, etc) or feel (stick) I always buy from a LHS anyways. Visor one of the few exceptions, ended up buying a Hejduk brand visor from IW.

When you tack on shipping to here in Canada, often it's just better to buy local. And get them baked for free.
You're right about most manufacturers prohibiting the retailers to ship outside of US/Canada. That includes Bauer, CCM, Easton, Mission, etc. Warrior doesn't actually prohibit their goods to be shipped outside of NA though - I just ordered Warrior gears from IW a few days ago and confirmed that Warrior products can be shipped internationally. I am currently in China by the way, where there's no LHS and it's almost impossible to find Bauer/CCM/Easton stuff. I had to get a friend of mine who's leaving Vancouver for Shanghai to grab the pair of skates I left in Canada, otherwise that pair alone would've costed $300 to ship

Old
08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I can understand why they are doing it. Is it just on skate fitting right? They are not making you buy everything you try on in the store right?

I would never go through the process of having someone help me try on skates and then not buy from them unless they had nothing I liked, but that is just the kind of person I am. I would feel bad that they took all that time and then didn't get the sale. I have however from time to time checked out what size I would be in certain product and then bought it online. I mean there are some crazy deals to be had online and I would not have been able to buy my enitre kit at full price.

Now that I am just filling in stuff here and there though I buy at my LHS more often. Plus I love simply going to my LHS and checking out all the new stuff so if I want to be able to continue to do that I better support them.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I can understand why they are doing it. Is it just on skate fitting right? They are not making you buy everything you try on in the store right?

I would never go through the process of having someone help me try on skates and then not buy from them unless they had nothing I liked, but that is just the kind of person I am. I would feel bad that they took all that time and then didn't get the sale. I have however from time to time checked out what size I would be in certain product and then bought it online. I mean there are some crazy deals to be had online and I would not have been able to buy my enitre kit at full price.

Now that I am just filling in stuff here and there though I buy at my LHS more often. Plus I love simply going to my LHS and checking out all the new stuff so if I want to be able to continue to do that I better support them.
Yeah, the charge is only for skate fitting, because that's really the only thing that takes quite a bit of an employees time. I for one fully support them doing this. Especially when the shop is in an area where there are probably 10 shops within a 20 minute drive. I guarantee you can find something you like in one of those stores.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
ponder

It makes sense, brick and mortar shops have more overhead than online shops, so their products tend to be a bit more expensive, but they provide fitting services that online shops obviously do not, which justifies this higher cost for many customers. If everyone starts using LHSs just as fitting services, taking advantage of employee time and all other costs inherent to brick and mortar shops, only to buy online, it's obviously going to hurt LHSs tremendously. So they charge the fitting fee, which is obviously refunded if you buy skates at the shop. I don't see it as a big deal, I think it's pretty sleazy in the first place to go into a store pretending that you'll buy skates there, and take up employee time getting fitted, knowing fully well that you're just lying to them and fully intend to buy online.

You don't really see this in Canada because there aren't any good online Canadian stores like hockeymonkey, ice warehouse, etc. Online stores in Canada use the same prices as LHSs, and importing from the States means risking major duty charges (plus you simply cannot import a lot of brands, Bauer for one), so there's really no reason to use your LHS as a free fitting service in Canada. In the States it makes sense though.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have no problem with that.

Conversely, my LHS gave me several hours of fitting and advice for free. I was so impressed that when I got my tax return the next week I returned to purchase them. They appreciated that and gave me a nice deal on a trade-in, as well as free baking/sharpening/punching/stretching and LIFETIME free sharpenings. More shops should do that. They also gave me half off a profiling a few weeks later and repaired two eyelets that fell out for free (they were out of warranty).

Never shopping anywhere else again!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have no problem with that.

Conversely, my LHS gave me several hours of fitting and advice for free. I was so impressed that when I got my tax return the next week I returned to purchase them. They appreciated that and gave me a nice deal on a trade-in, as well as free baking/sharpening/punching/stretching and LIFETIME free sharpenings. More shops should do that. They also gave me half off a profiling a few weeks later and repaired two eyelets that fell out for free (they were out of warranty).

Never shopping anywhere else again!
If they did that at the LHS i know, i would never buy anything out of their shop, but since every sharpening and every thing is supposed to be paid, i'll buy only small things from there and get skates sharpened also.
I'm sad to do that because i always bought everything in shop for basketball and ski, but the markups plus the bad service make me do that..