HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI] Blake Comeau re-signs with Isles (1 year, $2.5M)

Old
08-03-2011, 04:14 PM
glasgow26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Well, we do have two 2nd round picks next year: Minny's and the 25th (once we let Patrick White go).
Indeed. I'd be more than willing to trade Braun and one of the picks for Comeau. That's much better than letting go of Vlasic, Murray or Demers.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Indeed. I'd be more than willing to trade Braun and one of the picks for Comeau. That's much better than letting go of Vlasic, Murray or Demers.
Islanders don't have interest in Braun, especially at the cost of Comeau. Islanders are looking for a established top 4 defensemen. Braun does not fit that description. Only way you guys get Comeau is if Vlasic is coming back the other way.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
We're not really rebuilding anymore. Trading for a guy like Braun and pics for Comeau wouldn't be a great idea because it wouldn't make us better now. This team is trying to push for the playoffs.

I'm totally for a Vlasic for Comeau swap.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
I don't like the idea of trading Comeau for a dman who was 6th on your team in TOI with 15:16 minutes of ice time per game.
Quote:
I don't care. Isles aren't shipping out a guy who scored 24 goals for a guy who will just be behind Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic and Eaton. Jurcina will likely get more ice time then Martinez as well given that Jurcina will get lots of SHTOI.
Martinez could easily handle more minutes and thrive. He's a PMD and Murray's system is to pair a PMD and a shutdown D. Do you expect Martinez to play more than Johnson or Doughty? Martinez will be a good PMD. He's one of the smoothest skaters we have and was on the 2nd PP unit. He could easily slide into your 2nd pairing and handle it and play well.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:49 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Yes. Please get Comeau out of the Atlantic. He loves to score on the Rangers.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Yes. Please get Comeau out of the Atlantic. He loves to score on the Rangers.
18 points in 23 games vs all Atlantic Division teams this year although against the Rangers he had 4 goals and 3 assists in 6 games this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Martinez could easily handle more minutes and thrive. He's a PMD and Murray's system is to pair a PMD and a shutdown D. Do you expect Martinez to play more than Johnson or Doughty? Martinez will be a good PMD. He's one of the smoothest skaters we have and was on the 2nd PP unit. He could easily slide into your 2nd pairing and handle it and play well.
Of course I don't expect him to play more minutes than Doughty or Johnson, but I do expect him to gain the coaches trust to play more then 15 minutes a game. He isn't playing on the second pairing, MacDonald and Hamonic have that spot. Were looking for a top 4 dman to slide in with Streit. So you want this guy is going to go from 15 minutes to 21? I don't think so. If they traded Comeau for him it would be a horrible misuse of assets and Eaton would end up being paired with Streit anyway.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Of course I don't expect him to play more minutes than Doughty or Johnson, but I do expect him to gain the coaches trust to play more then 15 minutes a game. He isn't playing on the second pairing, MacDonald and Hamonic have that spot. Were looking for a top 4 dman to slide in with Streit. So you want this guy is going to go from 15 minutes to 21? I don't think so. If they traded Comeau for him it would be a horrible misuse of assets and Eaton would end up being paired with Streit anyway.
Sorry didn't really know your scenario. Isn't Streit a PMD? Wouldn't you want a more defensive guy next to him? Anyways, I think Martinez would be able to handle 21 minutes a night. Terry Murray relies heavily on Doughty and he eats a lot of minutes, meaning less for Martinez. If you watch Martinez play, watch his skating. Smooth as silk. He's got a good breakout pass and a decent shot. If you talk to some Kings fans, he was our best defender last year according to them. And he plays in a Terry Murray system, which is defense first so he's no flake defensively. The only reason I think the Kings should move him is so he has an opportunity to play while allowing us to have Voynov at the NHL level, clearing room at the AHL level. We're so deep on D we actually sort of need to move someone.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
thekernel

2.5? must be that dang old cap inflation.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
2.5? must be that dang old cap inflation.
Yep... he only makes 3.8% of the cap

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Sorry didn't really know your scenario. Isn't Streit a PMD? Wouldn't you want a more defensive guy next to him? Anyways, I think Martinez would be able to handle 21 minutes a night. Terry Murray relies heavily on Doughty and he eats a lot of minutes, meaning less for Martinez. If you watch Martinez play, watch his skating. Smooth as silk. He's got a good breakout pass and a decent shot. If you talk to some Kings fans, he was our best defender last year according to them. And he plays in a Terry Murray system, which is defense first so he's no flake defensively. The only reason I think the Kings should move him is so he has an opportunity to play while allowing us to have Voynov at the NHL level, clearing room at the AHL level. We're so deep on D we actually sort of need to move someone.
No harm no foul. Either way, the Isles will be looking for someone with more experience.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:11 PM
thekernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Yep... he only makes 3.8% of the cap
i dont know what you're implying, but i'm implying that he's getting paid more than he normally should/would on account of the cap increase.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
i dont know what you're implying, but i'm implying that he's getting paid more than he normally should/would on account of the cap increase.
He's getting paid fine.

Old
08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
18 points in 23 games vs all Atlantic Division teams this year although against the Rangers he had 4 goals and 3 assists in 6 games this year.

I really think Hamonic is going to get the spot on the top pair with Streit, so adding Martinez shouldn't affect that. I know how well Hamonic played with MacDonald, but I don't think that will prevent the Isles from giving him a shot at the top. After all, I think every Islander fan agrees that he has top-pairing potential. Just because he showed solid chemistry with A-Mac doesn't mean he shouldn't get rewarded with more minutes. He might show even better chemistry with Streit.

Martinez would look solid playing on the 2nd pairing with MacDonald, or on the 3rd with Eaton bumping Jurcina up to play with MacDonald. Either way, I wouldn't mind a deal like this but I would obviously prefer Vlasic if that deal is out there.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:10 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I really think Hamonic is going to get the spot on the top pair with Streit, so adding Martinez shouldn't affect that. I know how well Hamonic played with MacDonald, but I don't think that will prevent the Isles from giving him a shot at the top. After all, I think every Islander fan agrees that he has top-pairing potential. Just because he showed solid chemistry with A-Mac doesn't mean he shouldn't get rewarded with more minutes. He might show even better chemistry with Streit.

Martinez would look solid playing on the 2nd pairing with MacDonald, or on the 3rd with Eaton bumping Jurcina up to play with MacDonald. Either way, I wouldn't mind a deal like this but I would obviously prefer Vlasic if that deal is out there.
I think it's more about vet experience than how Martinez would fit on the Islanders defense.