HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Erik Johnson Article

Old
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
AvsWraith

vCash: 500
Like the talk from EJ, but talk is cheap. Hope he can back up what he is saying on the ice this year.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I already mentioned this before, EJ already has enough pressure on him to preform. I would like to see him captain since I think he is the best avs player they have and he is a leader but I want him to grow as a player before giving him extra pressure. So, a year from now I would like it but now not so much.
Valid reasons I guess.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
EJ has all the potential in the world, hopefully he continues his good form this season and becomes the player he can be. A potential win-win trade for both sides.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
PeterTheGreat

Im so excited for EJ next season. I already thought he moved incredibly well for such a big guy, but now hes saying hes improved his lower body and footwork/quick twitch muscles thats just scary. The potential he has is scary. If he puts it all together he'll be a top 5 dman in the league. No one has the type of raw tools that he has.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
foppagirl21

I think now is the time to give the Captaincy to EJ. Grab the bull by its horns, ya know? In my personal opinion, EJ seems like one of those guys who will thrive knowing he is the leader. Everything- from his demeanor on the ice and off the ice SCREAMS Captain. He won't be afraid to give the guys a kick in the pants when they need it, but he is a really personable and an easy to relate to individual. I do not think the team would regret the decision to give the "C" to EJ. At all.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Like the talk from EJ, but talk is cheap. Hope he can back up what he is saying on the ice this year.
Exactly. EJ had a few good games last year indeed. I would like to see him make the same strides this year that Shea Weber made his sophomore year. EJ has been surrounded this year with a better cast in O'brien, Hejda and healthy Quincey. Be very interesting to see if he can lead this D-corp

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Exactly. EJ had a few good games last year indeed. I would like to see him make the same strides this year that Shea Weber made his sophomore year. EJ has been surrounded this year with a better cast in O'brien, Hejda and healthy Quincey. Be very interesting to see if he can lead this D-corp
I hope so, too.

Old
08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
I'd like to see more action and less talk.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Dgill

I really hope EJ brings the style of player I grew to hate during his junior days because he was so damn effective. It's great to see him working his ass off while also feeling confident and positive with training camp approaching.

Looking back I feel I overreacted on the trade. Losing Stewart and Shattenkirk hurts, but I am so excited to have a prospect like Siemens in our system along with a player like EJ who seems 100% committed.

I guess you can say I am glad I was wrong about EJ, and I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
I feel the same.

On the bright side this will all change in 66 days. Until then we have to deal with talk. That's all there is.

expatriated_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Nothing wrong with talk so long as you back it up later.

Nice article. Excited to see how he does when the puck finally drops.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

It's not really smack talk if you only talk about your expectations on yourself. He sets ambitious goals for himself and I see no reason why he shouldn't.

I like that we have a few more big defenders this year. It means we don't have to put EJ out all the time, like we did when he arrived. It means we can give him the minutes best suited for his skill set. We shouldn't have to ride him that heavily on PK. That said, he seemed to enjoy playing a lot so it wouldn't surprise me to see him averaging 25 minutes a game this season.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
kapzk

With Shea Weber receiving 7.5 million through arbitration and Drew Doughty gearing for huge contract probably bigger than Weber, I wonder how much will Erik Johnson demand once he becomes a RFA. All indication is Johnson is preparing for big breakout year. Sure it would be great for the Avs to get Johnson to produce big time. But I fear then Johnson will demand a lucrative contract ranging around 6.5-7.5 million, most likely 6.5 cuz Weber and Doughty are a level higher than Johnson at the moment. This can pose a big problem for the Avs down the road with all the big contracts that they gotta give out.

I personally want Johnson to sign for 4.5 - 5 million but I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

kapzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:10 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
With Shea Weber receiving 7.5 million through arbitration and Drew Doughty who will get a bigger contract probably than Weber, I wonder how much will Erik Johnson demand once he becomes a RFA. All indication is Johnson is preparing for big breakout year. Sure it would be great for the Avs to get Johnson produce big time. But I fear then Johnson will demand a 7-8 million contract as well.
Heck, if EJ produces like Doughty or Weber next season, I will be more than happy with the Avs giving him $7mil.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:11 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
With Shea Weber receiving 7.5 million through arbitration and Drew Doughty who will get a bigger contract probably than Weber, I wonder how much will Erik Johnson demand once he becomes a RFA. All indication is Johnson is preparing for big breakout year. Sure it would be great for the Avs to get Johnson produce big time. But I fear then Johnson will demand a 7-8 million contract as well.
If that's the fair market price for an elite level defenseman, so be it. No need to fear it.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
kapzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Heck, if EJ produces like Doughty or Weber next season, I will be more than happy with the Avs giving him $7mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
If that's the fair market price for an elite level defenseman, so be it. No need to fear it.
Fair enough. If Johnson's play improves to the level where he is considered elite, then he certainly does deserve that type of money. Hopefully the Avs can work out a contract where the cap hit is lower which I am sure they will try. However with the CBA expiring who knows what the cap will look like going forward. And there has been talk about getting rid of the backload/frontloading of contract to cheat the cap hit, which will suck for us then. Keep in mind Duchene and O'Reilly are expected to get raises. Duchene will probably get 5 million.

Which means Stastny 6.6, Johnson 7 and Duchene 5.. yikes that ain't looking good. Close to 19 million tied up in 3 players.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
avsfan9

this is why i can see stastny being traded next year.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Fair enough. If Johnson's play improves to the level where he is considered elite, then he certainly does deserve that type of money. Hopefully the Avs can work out a contract where the cap hit is lower which I am sure they will try. However with the CBA expiring who knows what the cap will look like going forward. And there has been talk about getting rid of the backload/frontloading of contract to cheat the cap hit, which will suck for us then. Keep in mind Duchene and O'Reilly are expected to get raises. Duchene will probably get 5 million.

Which means Stastny 6.6, Johnson 7 and Duchene 5.. yikes that ain't looking good. Close to 19 million tied up in 3 players.
If Paul is making 6.6, I can see Duchene making atleast that much, if not more. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, just an unfortunate reality because of the deal that Paul walked in to.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

I understand that he means to keep it simple, but I find it alarming how many of our players say that Sacco tells them not to think too much out there. I don't want a Skoula hanging onto the puck until he loses it, but I would like guys to use their heads too.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
kapzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
If Paul is making 6.6, I can see Duchene making atleast that much, if not more. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, just an unfortunate reality because of the deal that Paul walked in to.
Well Duchene has yet to reach Paul's point totals in the first two seasons. I guess you can make the case that Duchene was younger when he entered the league. Unless Duchene puts up 80+ pts this season, then he can make around Stastny's money otherwise if he puts around 70 pts then I can't see him make close to Stastny, maybe 5 or 5.5 million.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Well Duchene has yet to reach Paul's point totals in the first two seasons. I guess you can make the case that Duchene was younger when he entered the league. Unless Duchene puts up 80+ pts this season, then he can make around Stastny's money otherwise if he puts around 70 pts then I can't see him make close to Stastny, maybe 5 or 5.5 million.
it's not really that big of a deal if duchene gets 5, 5.5 hes already got a caphit of 3.2 , so a 2 million dollar raise on a team with 15 million in capspace leading to 47 million next year don't really have to worry,

johnson wont be getting 7 after one superb year , if that happens, he'd jump himself into burns/seabrook type money , and if he does that we will be contending for a playoff spot if the goalies pan out as well.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
What else is he supposed to do in August?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:35 PM
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
What else is he supposed to do in August?
Drive golf-carts

KingSizeKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:42 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
With Shea Weber receiving 7.5 million through arbitration and Drew Doughty gearing for huge contract probably bigger than Weber, I wonder how much will Erik Johnson demand once he becomes a RFA. All indication is Johnson is preparing for big breakout year. Sure it would be great for the Avs to get Johnson to produce big time. But I fear then Johnson will demand a lucrative contract ranging around 6.5-7.5 million, most likely 6.5 cuz Weber and Doughty are a level higher than Johnson at the moment. This can pose a big problem for the Avs down the road with all the big contracts that they gotta give out.

I personally want Johnson to sign for 4.5 - 5 million but I highly doubt that's gonna happen.
If he plays and produces like Weber I would be more then willing to drive the bus and unload the 7 million on his front yard myself. I dont see anything wrong with it if he earns it. If bringing another cup to Denver means losing a few guys so be it aslong as we keep the core guys im fine with it.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

EJ has the attitude of a General. He just seems like a refined leader that can take the worst of flak and stand up for his team mates. I would love to see him with the C.

I'm looking to get a blue Avs shirt with Johnson on the back.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote