Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fitness Goals and Overall Health III

Old
03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
I unintentinally am down to 180. I'm increasing my WW points so I can stop losing weight. I'd forgotten how wonderful candy bars taste. I still have to realize I need to only have 1 per day. The doc, at my last physical, said I can go down as low as 160, but I don't think so.

I still work out almost an hour 6 days a week on the three cardio machines. Thanks to my handy dandy IPod, it still hasn't gotten boring yet although watching what's on TV still distracts me from what I'm listening to.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Cid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
I unintentinally am down to 180. I'm increasing my WW points so I can stop losing weight. I'd forgotten how wonderful candy bars taste. I still have to realize I need to only have 1 per day. The doc, at my last physical, said I can go down as low as 160, but I don't think so.

I still work out almost an hour 6 days a week on the three cardio machines. Thanks to my handy dandy IPod, it still hasn't gotten boring yet although watching what's on TV still distracts me from what I'm listening to.
Throw some resistance training in there, my friend. Will help build strength, add lean muscle, increase your metabolism and make it easier to manage weight in the future. Will also help strengthen bones, give you better shape and definition and help to prevent injuries when you get older! =)

Cardio is great too, but doing both is better!

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Throw some resistance training in there, my friend. Will help build strength, add lean muscle, increase your metabolism and make it easier to manage weight in the future. Will also help strengthen bones, give you better shape and definition and help to prevent injuries when you get older! =)

Cardio is great too, but doing both is better!
Every time I try, I end up pulling a muscle. Last time, it was in the shoulder and before that, it was in the leg. Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to do stretch exercises before I do the weights. Any suggestions on how long I need to do the preliminaries ?

Old
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
You have some serious dedication if you can do cardio every day...

I struggle to do it every other day... Its not fun

Ive run a mile in under 7 minutes 3 cardio days in a row now, which Im happy with

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:46 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
You have some serious dedication if you can do cardio every day...

I struggle to do it every other day... Its not fun

Ive run a mile in under 7 minutes 3 cardio days in a row now, which Im happy with
And wife asking "What do you mean you're not going to the gym today ?" doesn't hurt either. Note that she's too busy working on a school paper to go with me. Blast Bridgewater State University anyways !!!

Old
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
ksp1957

So it's tough with the playoffs going full tilt, but how's everyone doing fitness wise ? I've gotten down to 180 pounds and will probably stay there for a while. GOTTA statrt doing weights since my arms look kinda puny.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

vCash: 2769
bumping this old thread, because I figured it was the best place for this question. basically, I am trying to figure out how many calories I need to eat to maintain my weight or gain a slight amount of weight. I am 30 years old, male, 6'3 188lbs. Normal week is two hockey games (adult league, decent pace and I skate hard) and 3 times running between 3 and 5 miles. Running pace is usually about 6:40-7:40/mi. depending on distance and how tired my legs are from hockey. I also do pushups, situps and back strengthening after I run.

My main goal is just to improve cardio and run a faster 5k if I can (but that's a side thing.) I don't want to lose weight. In fact, if anything, I want to get back to about 195. When I look online about what my calorie intake should be, I get results ranging from 2400-4000. Anyone have any idea what the real approximate answer is? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Falcon63

Name: Thurman Murman
Sex: Male
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 215
Goal: Become a huge, hulk-like, strong, beastly alpha-male
Main motivator: Being healthy, strong, and being better at football and kickboxing
Biggest obstacle ahead: Getting past my 3rd torn ACL in 3 years and osteoarthritis
Bench: 315 (way down from 385 since my last surgery)
Squat: 335 (again, way down from 420 with all my knee injuries)
Deadlift: 440 (wanna get this way up)
Bent-Over Row: ~275 (got 315, but not sure if form was good)

I'm going into my sophomore year in college and I'm coming off my 3rd torn ACL in 3 years. I still play football, but I think my football career won't last much longer, so I'm hoping to make a long career in kickboxing (hoping to eventually turn pro and win a lot).

I do my own program that started out as 5/3/1, but is now completely different for strength, and most of my cardio comes from heavybag work and jump roping. Also do lots of plyometrics, and while I still can't jump very high or far, I think that and the jump roping has helped my footwork a lot.

Cardio still needs work, since I was bed-ridden for a while after each surgery, so once I get my cardio better, I think I should be a pretty good kickboxer (I'm not arrogant, I just have heart and have a high tolerance for pain since my injuries).

Falcon63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Falcon63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotedToughGuyDKrejci View Post
bumping this old thread, because I figured it was the best place for this question. basically, I am trying to figure out how many calories I need to eat to maintain my weight or gain a slight amount of weight. I am 30 years old, male, 6'3 188lbs. Normal week is two hockey games (adult league, decent pace and I skate hard) and 3 times running between 3 and 5 miles. Running pace is usually about 6:40-7:40/mi. depending on distance and how tired my legs are from hockey. I also do pushups, situps and back strengthening after I run.

My main goal is just to improve cardio and run a faster 5k if I can (but that's a side thing.) I don't want to lose weight. In fact, if anything, I want to get back to about 195. When I look online about what my calorie intake should be, I get results ranging from 2400-4000. Anyone have any idea what the real approximate answer is? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Estimate how many calories you burn through exercise and add 2000.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotedToughGuyDKrejci View Post

Try an app called MyFitnessPal. It's free and and a decent tracking calorie tracking tool. You enter where you are at, what you want to lose/not lose each week, enter in what you eat and it takes it from there. You can also put in your exercise and calories burned.
It helped me become more aware of what I was eating counts for and have lost over 10 pounds gradually over the last 3 months. Another 5 and then I'll go into cruise control. I don't use the app anymore, keeping a rough estimate in my head is working now that I know what it is.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

vCash: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
Estimate how many calories you burn through exercise and add 2000.
Yeah, I just haven't been able to find anything consistent for what hockey is burning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaryuh View Post
Try an app called MyFitnessPal. It's free and and a decent tracking calorie tracking tool. You enter where you are at, what you want to lose/not lose each week, enter in what you eat and it takes it from there. You can also put in your exercise and calories burned.
It helped me become more aware of what I was eating counts for and have lost over 10 pounds gradually over the last 3 months. Another 5 and then I'll go into cruise control. I don't use the app anymore, keeping a rough estimate in my head is working now that I know what it is.
Thanks, I will check it out.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Falcon63

Anyone here do Crossfit?

Old
06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with weight watchers or cancel that online membership and go to myfitnesspal or sparkpeople. Anyone have any experience making that shift, or experience with MFP v SP?

I've been working out with a personal trainer for 2 weeks. It's expensive, but I'm looking at it as an investment in myself...and telling myself that the $$ I saved from quitting smoking in November is being re-purposed.

I was an athlete in high school, but outside of intramurals in college and the 7 years post college, I've been pretty sedentary. Feels good to move again. We're doing a ton of work with balance and core work which is new to me but really really good. I can tell I'm already getting stronger in the few weeks we've been working together.

I bought my first pair of boxing gloves tonight...and yes, they're pink. I've really really liked boxing..awesome workout, get out some aggression, and learn how to punch things.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Falcon63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with weight watchers or cancel that online membership and go to myfitnesspal or sparkpeople. Anyone have any experience making that shift, or experience with MFP v SP?

I've been working out with a personal trainer for 2 weeks. It's expensive, but I'm looking at it as an investment in myself...and telling myself that the $$ I saved from quitting smoking in November is being re-purposed.

I was an athlete in high school, but outside of intramurals in college and the 7 years post college, I've been pretty sedentary. Feels good to move again. We're doing a ton of work with balance and core work which is new to me but really really good. I can tell I'm already getting stronger in the few weeks we've been working together.

I bought my first pair of boxing gloves tonight...and yes, they're pink. I've really really liked boxing..awesome workout, get out some aggression, and learn how to punch things.
Never done WW, but MFP is really good at tracking calories, and I haven't seen one bad review of it.

As for boxing, well...as said above, I kickbox, so obviously I'm not against it, haha. I've had to spar many females at my old gym, and some of them were pretty good.

Oh, and I just transferred colleges, so I'm now on the lookout for a new gym. Hope I can find a good one near me, cause I hate training without someone there to correct me! If people can't tell already, I'll be a regular ITT.

EDIT: Also, anyone here take supplements? I take fish oil, lecithin, flaxseed oil, and multivitamins (I take others, just these are the non-strength-related ones), and my blood test numbers have drastically improved. I'm in the ideal range for nearly everything now.

Last edited by Falcon63: 06-26-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

My new obsession is the foam roller. That ***** is a miracle worker.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
My new obsession is the foam roller. That ***** is a miracle worker.
Yes...I don't use mine often enough. It came from the rec of my AT. It does miracles on the tight muscles in the legs and low back.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Brian View Post
Yes...I don't use mine often enough. It came from the rec of my AT. It does miracles on the tight muscles in the legs and low back.
I just bought one for my house so I can use it when I'm just hanging out. Learning about that and only having access to it at the gym nearly doubled the amount of time I was spending between stretching before and after. It just feels so freaking good.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

On vaca on my phone, so not sure if it's in this thread or not. Has anyone tried Power 90 (the precursor to P90x? If so, do you recommend it?

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I've managed to maintain my weight for the last 3 or so months. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never get passed 135-140 which is fine. I have been toning a ton through Pure Barre.

It is a mix of ballet bar, pilates and weights. It is expensive tho but after 9 classes I lost over 4 inches all around. I have never sweated as much as I do in class. I'm buying one of the DVD's so I can at least do some exercise while my wrist heals.

They have a studio in Newton but one on Newbury St and Burlington are opening soon.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Falcon63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
On vaca on my phone, so not sure if it's in this thread or not. Has anyone tried Power 90 (the precursor to P90x? If so, do you recommend it?
Well, it depends on what your goals are. If you want to get strong, I would try something like Starting Strength 5 x 5. If you want to get in shape, you could do something like P90x. If you want to be strong AND get in shape, I'd do Starting Strength 5 x 5 and start jump roping and running a lot.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
ksp1957

Well, that didn't take too long.

BUMP !!!

Old
07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Returning to Curves after 2.5 month layoff [back issues.again.]

I've been walking a lot the past 2 weeks but it is time to get back to work.

Ugh.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
CDJ*

Time for me to get in shape before school. I got a month or so (and I can obviously continue while at college too). Just need to trim some excess blubber (sides, moobs, gut, etc)

I'm 6'1'' 190. Any recommendations on how to trim any of this excess flab. Anything in particular work very well? Especially on the sides and moobs (gut is fine, could stand a trim but not even that much)?

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote