Notices

Fitness Goals and Overall Health III

Old
08-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I've heard that stick to the perimeters thing is a myth.
How so? The perimeter of most grocery stores contains the meat, vegetables, fruit, and dairy products. Ie the good stuff.

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral View Post
How so? The perimeter of most grocery stores contains the meat, vegetables, fruit, and dairy products. Ie the good stuff.
End caps. Nuff said.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Just did my first 30 minute workout. Can't believe I could sweat this much. Burnt off 148 calories. After this weekend away, it'll be more consistent next week but it felt good to get the first one under the belt.

This might be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm not really great with doing sit-ups/crunches, and I was thinking if I did 5-10 twice a day, then eventually it'll get easier and I'll be able to increase the number of reps. Thoughts or am I just trying to take the lazy way out?

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
For the most part that's the good stuff, but things like beans, fiber and other grains, etc live in the middle.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Just got back from the gym. Did squats, deadlifts, and overhead press for the first time in 3+ months. Needless to say, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
Just did my first 30 minute workout. Can't believe I could sweat this much. Burnt off 148 calories. After this weekend away, it'll be more consistent next week but it felt good to get the first one under the belt.

This might be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm not really great with doing sit-ups/crunches, and I was thinking if I did 5-10 twice a day, then eventually it'll get easier and I'll be able to increase the number of reps. Thoughts or am I just trying to take the lazy way out?
I would say try to do as many as you can at once, then take of 20 % and turn those into reps. You really can't just do 5 or 10 if you don't know what you max is in my opinion. But others here have more knowledge then I do.

Also you may want to try the plank also. I've been doing that on the Wii and I'm up to 90 seconds and it also gives you a score and the best I've gotten so far was 94 %. Now it also lies, says I'm a body builder...

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post

No. The more you do them, the more your ab muscles will gain strength allowing you to do more per set next work out. But, as a rule, if you're not doing them until you're burning on your last few reps on each set. Well, you're not getting everything you can out of them.

Doing them on an exercise ball (they're cheap money), where you're stabilizing the rest of your bod w/ your legs is the way to go. Also squeezing your muscles when fully extended on each rep is going to help in building stamina. Hope that helped.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
No. The more you do them, the more your ab muscles will gain strength allowing you to do more per set next work out. But, as a rule, if you're not doing them until you're burning on your last few reps on each set. Well, you're not getting everything you can out of them.

Doing them on an exercise ball (they're cheap money), where you're stabilizing the rest of your bod w/ your legs is the way to go. Also squeezing your muscles when fully extended on each rep is going to help in building stamina. Hope that helped.
See someone with more knowledge...

But I have a question Neely. I was told by my chiropractor that doing situps on one of those stabilizer balls is bad for you ?

Old
08-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Just got back from the gym. Did squats, deadlifts, and overhead press for the first time in 3+ months. Needless to say, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.
Dump some glutamine powder into those pancakes!

I'm seriously going to try those.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Cid

Quote:
Precisely.

Everything processed and stripped of all real nutrients in favor of preservatives to increase shelf life and also overloaded with sugars and salts to stimulate our taste buds are generally found in the middle aisles of the grocery stores. Avoid these canned and boxed unhealthy food choices.

As others have stated stick to the outsides of the store for the following.

Complex Carbohydrates - Brown breads, etc.
Fruits and Vegetables - Especially leafy green veggies
Lean Proteins - Chicken, Fish, Turkey
Low Fat Dairy - 1% Partially skimmed milk, yogurts, cottage cheese
Alternatives - Nuts (almonds), Egg Whites, Flax Seeds, etc.

All can be found on the outer rims of the store!

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
See someone with more knowledge...

But I have a question Neely. I was told by my chiropractor that doing situps on one of those stabilizer balls is bad for you ?
If that's what your chiropractor told you, then don't listen to some guy on the internet. You know why you're seeing a chiropractor.

Personally I've never heard that. The idea of the ball is to hit other stabilizing core muscles, while also isolating your abs. I use a ball at home, and a decline bench at the gym. Those balls are so versatile they're worth their weight in gold due to all the ways you can apply them to other exercises.

Although, ANYTHING done w/ improper form can be bad for you. Ex. Like having your hands behind your head, and pulling yourself up by your neck, jamming your chin into your chest when you're gassed. Or, bouncing, and going too fast, not using your abs at all.

I keep my hands out in front of me as if holding a weight or medicine ball on my chest, and keep my back perfectly straight at all costs. Reps should be slow and deliberate at first, always paying close attention to form. Five proper sit ups is always better than 20 rushed ones w/ poor form. It helps to pick a spot on the ceiling directly over you to focus your eyes on each rep, in order to keep your neck and back in proper form.

Also, people tend to go too far up. One, they're resting and taking the tension off their abs. Two, it's wasted motion and could hurt your back. Once you feel the burn leave your abs, you've gone too far up.

I have serious lower back issues I always have to work around. I've never had any problem using a ball, and like it most of all because I get a better range of motion than I do on the floor, or on a bench.

Just for clarification, this is proper form w/ an exercise ball:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zQb...eature=related

Last edited by Neely08: 08-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't want to live in a world where I'm not allowed to eat pasta. Sorry, the perimeter thing will never work for me.

They key is eating a normal serving size, not 5 normal serving sizes.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Cid

Quote:
I don't want to live in a world where I'm not allowed to eat pasta. Sorry, the perimeter thing will never work for me.

Go with whole wheat pasta noodles vs the traditional white. Not only does whole wheat have a ton of additional nutrients but anything complex like that keeps you feeling full longer. The starchy white carbs are burned off instantly and never leave you feeling full, so you are likely to eat more than one serving. Just a tip!

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:

Have you tried zucchini noodles? It's a pretty good replacement.

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Have you tried zucchini noodles? It's a pretty good replacement.
Nope. I want to eat pasta. Regular old carb-y white flour based pasta.

Old
08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
If that's what your chiropractor told you, then don't listen to some guy on the internet. You know why you're seeing a chiropractor.

Personally I've never heard that. The idea of the ball is to hit other stabilizing core muscles, while also isolating your abs. I use a ball at home, and a decline bench at the gym. Those balls are so versatile they're worth their weight in gold due to all the ways you can apply them to other exercises.

Although, ANYTHING done w/ improper form can be bad for you. Ex. Like having your hands behind your head, and pulling yourself up by your neck, jamming your chin into your chest when you're gassed. Or, bouncing, and going too fast, not using your abs at all.

I keep my hands out in front of me as if holding a weight or medicine ball on my chest, and keep my back perfectly straight at all costs. Reps should be slow and deliberate at first, always paying close attention to form. Five proper sit ups is always better than 20 rushed ones w/ poor form. It helps to pick a spot on the ceiling directly over you to focus your eyes on each rep, in order to keep your neck and back in proper form.

Also, people tend to go too far up. One, they're resting and taking the tension off their abs. Two, it's wasted motion and could hurt your back. Once you feel the burn leave your abs, you've gone too far up.

I have serious lower back issues I always have to work around. I've never had any problem using a ball, and like it most of all because I get a better range of motion than I do on the floor, or on a bench.

I see my chiropractor tomorrow morning for my neck ...again and I will ask him to fill me in again. It's not so much he told me but my wife.

I'll let you know what I find out.

I will also take a look at that video tomorrow but for now I have to get ready for work.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Nope. I want to eat pasta. Regular old carb-y white flour based pasta.
Come on Katie. You know the system. You can have pasta as long as you deal with the points expenditure. Don't worry about it.

I can have ice cream as long as I can deal with the points consequences too.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Come on Katie. You know the system. You can have pasta as long as you deal with the points expenditure. Don't worry about it.

I can have ice cream as long as I can deal with the points consequences too.
Exactly. That's why if I want pasta I'll have it, and compensate for it in other areas.

Old
08-04-2011, 06:31 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Just read about a new recipe coming out tomorrow for "protein donuts." Oh man...

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:37 PM
ksp1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Just read about a new recipe coming out tomorrow for "protein donuts." Oh man...
Isn't that a contradiction in terms ?

Old
08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Ok, I've basically ignored this thread for many months although I have had something to contribute, I think.

Basically, on August 1st of last year I decided enough was enough. I had reached 282 lbs. I'm 6'2" with a big frame and wear suits most of the time so no one really thought I was so overweight since I appeared to carry it well, but on a trip to FLA with my family I couldn't stand the sight of myself in a bathing suit.

I went cold turkey. Started on a treadmill, downsized my portions, eat low-carb (but not "no-carb"), eat a green salad with added protein sources such as egg/tofu/chick peas five days a week for lunch, avoid eating at night after 9, no McDonald's or other such junk food, joined a health club where I do free weights/crunches/nautilus for about 30 minutes a day at lunch.

I now weigh 213 lbs and have built a lot of muscle. I'm like a different person. I'm 48 but am in better shape than I was when I was 28. The before and after pictures are dramatic.

The first two months were tough. The hunger pangs were intense during the day. I drank those Hydroxycut packets that you add to bottled water 1x per day to help with that. After the first two months, though, I was on track and didn't need them.

I dropped 20 lbs in the first month. Dropped 45 lbs over the next 6 months. Dropped 5 since and have been holding steady at around 215 for several months now.

I can now have the occasional steak and cheese or whatever and it doesn't matter.

Basically, it's a life change thing. Diets are temporary. You've got to get to the point where you're sick of the way you look/feel and realize that the saying, "Nothing tastes as good as "thin" looks and feels" is true.
I'm really impressed TR13L. These first two paragraphs are ones I could write right now (except for the Florida vacation thing ). I've also avoided (at least posting in) this thread, but I've hit the point where I'm tired of avoiding my issues. I'm hoping that by publicly declaring it, I'll have that extra motivation to get myself into better shape. Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing.

I'm currently hovering between 280 and 285, and am a shade under 6'1". I've always carried weight well, but now have too much to do anything well. I still play hockey once a week (twice a week in the winter), but for the most part, that's about it. We've had a family membership to the Y, and I've had a couple of time periods when I was going fairly regularly. But I haven't been in almost a month. I had originally thought to myself that I would use August 1 as my starting point (like TR13L did last year). Guess I missed that by a few days. Better late than never.

So, off I embark on a journey to change my body. Dropping this weight should help me regain some flexibility, and maybe even allow me to skate faster. Although that would really just be a relative term. I'll keep you all posted. Feel free to ask me for updates - you know, that whole peer pressure thing...

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
ksp1957

So I've upped my cardio workout on the elliptical and the treadmill. I've also started on the Cybex weight machines which I don't like as well as the Nautilus machines. Oh well, the local Y decided to 'upgrade'. I'll get used to them. No aches from doing the machines yesterday so I'm not pushing too hard. We'll see how the workouts go until next weigh-in on Tuesday.

Old
08-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Weighed in today. Down .2 lbs. Given my huge loss last week I'm not too surprised.

Now the goal is to not undo all of the good I've done so far while on vacation.

Yuengling just tastes so good.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:00 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
Weighed in today. Down .2 lbs. Given my huge loss last week I'm not too surprised.

Now the goal is to not undo all of the good I've done so far while on vacation.

Yuengling just tastes so good.
Just find some time to do some form of exercise and still manage the amount you eat but eat what you want.

Good for you by the way.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
thegodfather

Quote:

Basically he said new research has shown it puts undo stress on the lower back which in turn will cause more damage.

He then told me I was crazy for trying Insanity but he wished me luck and then he told me not to do them on the ball.

He still swears by the plank which I also love doing.