Notices

OT: Roller Hockey in Dallas?

Old
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
OT: Roller Hockey in Dallas?

(i tried this in the 'visitors to dallas' thread. no response there, so startin' this one. who knows, might die a slow death to pg 2 here anyway. heheh.)

howdy,
after more than a decade in california, i'm comin' back home to texas, y'all! anyhow, i'd rather play roller than ice, and so was wonderin' if there's any recreation roller hockey available in dallas. i know there was a rink around richardson near where i grew up, but i believe that's since been defunct.

after 'bing'-ing around a bit (yeah, i'm one of those contrarian guys, oddly enough in favor of microsoft), found a league in farmers branch, which is about where i'll be. rink seems to be outside.

anybody tool around in this or any other league i should be wary of?

what surfaces do they use?

any rinks indoors?

other insights/comments?

thank y'all kindly (tryin' to get back into the habit that is southern colloquialism)

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I've played it all in Dallas and honestly the competition for roller is horrible. If you've ever even played ice then you'll pot 7+ a game.

That being said, I have no clue what the current leagues are now. There's very few places to do it and the rinks I played on were terrible.

If you're coming back I'd honestly stick to ice.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I've played it all in Dallas and honestly the competition for roller is horrible. If you've ever even played ice then you'll pot 7+ a game.

That being said, I have no clue what the current leagues are now. There's very few places to do it and the rinks I played on were terrible.

If you're coming back I'd honestly stick to ice.
the way i've been playing lately, i must just fit in. heheh. i started playing as an adult, so i'm definitely no david booth or brad boyes who could parlay their roller skills to the nhl.

i've also played in rec ice leagues before up to low intermediate level.

looks like i've been spoiled playing out here in l.a. surprisingly, lots of opportunities to play hockey, on both roller and ice.

am i correct to think that the surfaces are all concrete? no sportcourt?

Old
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I've never actually played on anything but sportcourt.

With all of that being said there are tons of rec leagues for ice in DFW now. I think I even saw a D league in Plano a couple of years ago. So there's definitely enough people out there at the sam skill level as you. A lot of the AAA I played even had ex NHLers and D-1 College players. So it really goes from beginners all the way to pros, great hockey for everybody... On ice

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I know there are roller rinks in Southlake, Grapevine, and Bedford. Pretty sure they're not concrete. No clue about any leagues associated with them though.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
denniso

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I know there are roller rinks in Southlake, Grapevine, and Bedford. Pretty sure they're not concrete. No clue about any leagues associated with them though.
Actually IIRC those 3 are all concrete outdoor rinks. It's been a while since my sons played on those, though.

For ice leagues, you have a league playing right there in Farmers Branch. I play in the I league at the Stars Center in Euless. I refer to it as the "fat ol' men's league" and you would fit in well with roller experience and not a lot of ice experience. A new session is starting beginning of September.

denniso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:18 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Anyone know any good ones for midget-aged guys in Houston?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
ginblossoms

not in dallas yet, but prepping. just joined the dallas inline hockey meetup group (http://www.meetup.com/DallasHockey/).

anybody here a member?

i'll pro'ly check 'em out at first and go from there. doesn't look too organized however (pics show severe lack of elbow pads, helmets, shin guards, etc.) also, for an outdoor rink, the surface looks pretty nice. it's in allen.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:43 PM
sbrim

In north Arlington there's a rink I play at. Look up the Elzie Odom Recreation Center. Also there's pick-up on Wednesday night and League play Thursday night and all day Sunday.

sbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
ginblossoms

so i've gone to allen the last 2 mondays for roller hockey pick-up. it's better than i expected. surface is concrete with roll-on. puck and skates move well on it. stick blades are still in good shape after 2 sessions. good turnouts (10 skaters and 2 goalies last week, ~13 skaters and 3 goalies this week).

Old
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Bittco

I am a member of that dallas roller group though I haven't gone in a couple months because its been hot/ive been out of town/its really far/my skates are busted

there doesn't seem to be any real indoor roller in dfw- i have heard there was a rink but it has since become a tennis court or something similar- there are plenty of ice rinks though which has been really nice

Bittco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittco View Post
I am a member of that dallas roller group though I haven't gone in a couple months because its been hot/ive been out of town/its really far/my skates are busted
well, a) it's cooler now (they're starting at 7pm now), b) hopefully you're back, c) i commute from carrollton, and d) fix your skates.

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be any real indoor roller in dfw- i have heard there was a rink but it has since become a tennis court or something similar- there are plenty of ice rinks though which has been really nice
the only one i knew of was in richardson (slapshot). drove by a few months ago and it indeed looks to be shut down. not a tennis court, but was empty. i bought my first hockey jersey (montreal away) there years and years ago.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:47 PM
jponder94
Rookie User

Is this all still true

I will be moving to Dallas at the end of this month and I am desperately looking for roller hockey. I have already found a rink in Frisco for ice.

I enjoy playing both; ice will definitely be nice but every now and then, I get that hankering to play some roller. I am from St. Louis and roller is HUGE here.

Inside, outside, I don't care. I have played roller for the better part of my life and pride myself as a stay-at-home defenseman. I don't have tricks up my sleeve so I feel that I can play with many different levels of players (I can adjust my game accordingly to high or low level abilities).

Any help is appreciated. I plan to live near the city of Dallas and will be working in the Irving area. Thanks in advance!

jponder94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Nills Mustache
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponder94 View Post
I will be moving to Dallas at the end of this month and I am desperately looking for roller hockey. I have already found a rink in Frisco for ice.

I enjoy playing both; ice will definitely be nice but every now and then, I get that hankering to play some roller. I am from St. Louis and roller is HUGE here.

Inside, outside, I don't care. I have played roller for the better part of my life and pride myself as a stay-at-home defenseman. I don't have tricks up my sleeve so I feel that I can play with many different levels of players (I can adjust my game accordingly to high or low level abilities).

Any help is appreciated. I plan to live near the city of Dallas and will be working in the Irving area. Thanks in advance!
jponder: I play roller hockey at the Arlington rink referenced above (Elzie Odom). It's an indoor roller league. Shoot me an e-mail at brianproe@gmail.com and I'll give you more information about the league, location, prices, etc.

Nills Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

^ Epic username.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:45 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponder94 View Post

Allen has some outdoor rinks at the skate park.

Definitely play ice though, there is tons of ice in the Dallas area.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 04:19 AM
Nills Mustache
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
^ Epic username.
Ha, thanks. I'm convinced the Stars turnaround is based mostly around the magical mustache of Jim Nill

Nills Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote