HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pollak: Sharks sign D Colin White to one year deal, $1m

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
You have to think, whatever the other shoe is, it's going to drop pretty shortly. If DW went after White so quickly that means he has a trade ready to go but needed a replacement player. If so, he's likely been waiting since White was announced as a buy out and so the trade has been sitting around on the shelf for a few days.

I've been on a role this off-season, so why stop now.

It's seriously dumb luck, I'm not gloating, but it is kind of crazy:

1) I got the Burns trade. Railed for us to get him for weeks, then we did, and I was even right about Seto going the other way (though I had hoped Heatley).

2) I said Heatley should and might get traded, people said i was crazy, and then he did.

3) I called the Burns signing like 48 hours before he signed (I said I expect him to be signed within the next few days). I didn't get the price right (I guessed 6.5) but i got the years right (5).

4) Vlasic next? haha

Old
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDevils30 View Post
You guys are going to love White. He's played top-4 minutes in New Jersey since the lockout. Sometimes on the top pair. He's been our most consistent guy for awhile.

His defensive partner last year was a revolving door. He started paired with rookie Matt Taormina and made him look good.

Tallinder was awful in the 1st half. He was paired with White and looked very good.

In our excellent 2nd half, White often found himself paired with Volchenkov. No one could get through that pairing. As good a shutdown united as there was in the 2nd half.

If he's going to be on your 3rd pairing this year, you guys are looking extremely good. A tremendous signing. He's far from flashy. No offense but will make a great defensive play for you when it's needed.

Glad you guys got him.
So I guess the questionis whom does he play with. He's essentially Murray redux. So does he slide in with Burns? That'd be nearly 13 feet of defensemen on the top pairing. Could make a devastating pair. If Vlasic is moved I'd look at this happening

Demers maybe? That probably makes the most sense if Vlasic is kept...

Old
08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
FlameChampion

Gotta like how Doug Wilson is always trying to better his club.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
IMO- DW isnt going to trade anyone (yet...) I see him going into the season with this D, and will make a trade if he needs to during the season.

edit:Nevermind, just read Legions post. Somebody has to go
Not really, Braun to AHL and Moore dumped in some fashion.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You have to think, whatever the other shoe is, it's going to drop pretty shortly. If DW went after White so quickly that means he has a trade ready to go but needed a replacement player. If so, he's likely been waiting since White was announced as a buy out and so the trade has been sitting around on the shelf for a few days.

1) I got the Burns trade. Railed for us to get him for weeks, then we did, and I was even right about Seto going the other way (though I had hoped Heatley).

2) I said Heatley should and might get traded, people said i was crazy, and then he did.

3) I called the Burns signing like 48 hours before he signed (I said I expect him to be signed within the next few days). I didn't get the price right (I guessed 6.5) but i got the years right (5).

4) Vlasic next? haha
Quick, make a prediction about the cup...

Old
08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
glasgow26

I had a feeling we'd pick this guy up after he was bought out. Solid signing, I'm happy with it. I really hope this doesn't mean Vlasic is traded though, I really like how our D is looking right now. I know we need a third line winger but I'm still hoping we address that in free agency.

Old
irregardless
Registered Dummy

If DW wants to trade off Vlasic, I hope he waits until after training camp and at least a month or so into the season. The coaches need to see which pairings work best, in particular Burns's partner, before they start trading off their D.

The signing might also be a nudge to Vlasic, that he needs to take some serious steps this year or he will definitely be gone. The addition of Colin White doesn't have to mean someone is on the way out, or at least that's what I'd like to think!

Old
Landeskog92

Hometown boy is a shark... remember when he brought the cup here as a devil.. hope to see him back with it again this summer

Old
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:

4) Vlasic next? haha

or maybe Miss Cleo? or John Edward?

Old
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

That's a gold medal pick, I'm pissed off right now

Old
hockeyball

I know what you are saying (about keeping Vlasic) but I can make the same argument for Braun. He's cheaper and likely can be retained more long term than Vlasic because of that.

Also, it's just all the pieces when you put them together seem to indicate DW is going to make a trade for a forward:

1) We know for a fact he's been trying to sign a forward, at the very least we know he tried for Vrbata, and possibly Gagne/Jagr and who knows who else.

2) We know for a fact he hasn't been able to sign a forward.

3) We know for a fact DW is looking at trades.

4) We know the Sharks dont have a lot of futures to offer, and likely can't afford to offer what they do have.

5) We know DW was unhappy with last years bottom 6 from the get-go and felt waiting to correct it was a mistake.

It just seems to fit. Sharks talked to other teams, found some players they liked, but a defensemen was the required return (probably to a team that can't lure a UFA and so needs to trade). Sharks want to maintain their depth on defense, so they sign Colin White.

Old
WedgeAntilles*

If the Sharks keep Vlasic, Demers/White becomes the best 3rd pairing I've seen in 40 years of watching NHL hockey...

Old
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:

4) Vlasic next? haha
So maybe you are right about Weber for Vlasic, Doherty, and 2 firsts?

Old
08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
If the Sharks keep Vlasic, Demers/White becomes the best 3rd pairing I've seen in 40 years of watching NHL hockey...
I don't know. Meszaros - O'Donnell was pretty great for the Flyers last season before Pronger's injury shuffled the deck.

Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Haha yah right

Old
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
If DW wants to trade off Vlasic, I hope he waits until after training camp and at least a month or so into the season. The coaches need to see which pairings work best, in particular Burns's partner, before they start trading off their D.

The signing might also be a nudge to Vlasic, that he needs to take some serious steps this year or he will definitely be gone. The addition of Colin White doesn't have to mean someone is on the way out, or at least that's what I'd like to think!
It really doesn't. I don't know why anyone keeps saying that. Its not like we're over or up against the cap.

Braun at this point is going to stay in the AHL and log the minutes he needs to log, and Moore could be loaned to a Euro team.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:30 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Haha yah right
Well, I am in the Church of hockeyball...for this summer at least.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
$7.5M... I don't think we have the cap space.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I'll be pissed if Pickles leaves, hes worth way more than a 3rd on third with todays D-man market

Otherwise, I'm STOKED we got such a bargan. DW is in total wizzard mode now

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Old
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
It really doesn't. I don't know why anyone keeps saying that. Its not like we're over or up against the cap.

Braun at this point is going to stay in the AHL and log the minutes he needs to log, and Moore could be loaned to a Euro team.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but could anyone explain to me how those loans work? I know the player's cap hit is off the books but is ownership still on the hook for their salary or does the Euro team pay it? Thanks.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
SJSharkzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
That's a gold medal pick, I'm pissed off right now
I wonder how long it will take for this joke to get old. It still makes me laugh at least.

Old
JonathanK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
$7.5M... I don't think we have the cap space.
I think we're close with Vlasic's 3.1M and the near 4M we have in free space after the White signing. just sayin'......

Old
sjshrky27

wow 7.5mil for weber? seems way overpriced IMO

Old
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

brodiebrazilCSN 12:18pm via TweetDeck Will chat with Colin White, and have some quotes for you momentarily... #sjsharks]

SanJoseSharks 12:24pm via Web
The Sharks have signed Cup winning defenseman Colin White. http://t.co/WvLP96h

Old
08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
gonegonegone*

wow poor vandy haha. unless vlassic gets moved, he's the one in the pressbox.

Closed Thread