HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pollak: Sharks sign D Colin White to one year deal, $1m

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
ATTENTION DOUG WILSON: I know that HF Sharks often whine about Vlasic and his faults and ignore the faults of some other players, but I want you to know thag you shoul not trade Vlasic! He's young, cheap, and the perfect partner for Brent Burns. I kniw how you like to mold your team off of whichever team has just beaten you in the playoffs, so to follow this trend, why don't we keep Vlasic and roll with 6 top-four guys like Vancouver did.

Vlasic-Burns
Murray-Boyle
C. White-Demers
Vandermeer Braun

Solid.
Yeah, that's a solid plan. Trading Vlasic or D at this point (except like Moore) would be dumb. Doug Wilson would essentially be trading our futures for a Cup or bust year. They have the cap-space, might as well role with 7 D with one in the press-box every game. No different from last season really with Joslin, aside from Vandermeer>>>>> Joslin.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Ok i know we want Doan. Wont happen. Both LA and VAN would have interest, and Vancouver can offer Schneider+Hodgson, LA can offer Bernier+Toffoli+Hickey

Both of those offers meet the needs of QC () and are better then what we could offer. If Doan would waive to come here, he'd waive to go both of those places.

Moore wont be in the AHL this year. To many others that need to play there like Petrecki, Doherty, Wrenn, Irwin, Sullivan, Acoltase, and hell, maybe even Braun.

Moore will be traded, even if its for a 7th, he will be traded.

Braun, i also see getting traded. You can afford to move him for the right 3rd liner that has 2nd line upside (comeon Comeau) and even throw other things, like Moore in as well

Old
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
AnderFunk

Wallin = $2.5 Million
Huskins = $1.7 Million
Total = $4.2 Million

White = $1 Million
Vandermeer = $1 Million
Total = $2 Million

A noticeable improvement AND less than 50% of the cost?

Old
08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
Wallin = $2.5 Million
Huskins = $1.7 Million
Total = $42 Million

White = $1 Million
Vandermeer = $1 Million
Total = $2 Million

A noticeable improvement AND less than 50% of the cost?
Your math may be wrong, but at times it sure felt like Huskins and Wallin were sinking us by $42 million. Maybe 42 million facepalms.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:52 PM
5H4RK5

I like our defense, we are soooo deep. If we kept White we would have the Great White Shark XL2 pairing. Welcome to SJ White, Colin version.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Is it Opening Night yet?

08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Tealblood

I like the idea of keeping braun in the AHL for the year, because it's not ideal to have a prospect getting minimal minutes in a 6th or even a 7th dman spot.

I don't see a trade coming for vlasic, it seems counterproductive to put all this money in the D just to lose a key part of it again. DW finally realizes that depth at this position wins championships.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Is it Opening Night yet?
67 days

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...s-with-sharks/
Pollak with lots-o-quotes from Colin White.

Old
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
67 days

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...s-with-sharks/
Pollak with lots-o-quotes from Colin White.
66 according to
http://www.howmanydaysuntilhockey.co...x.php?Team=SJS

Old
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Is it Opening Night yet?
With creative rounding, preseason is only 1 month away!

Old
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
coupe89

A guy from my home town sweet.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:03 PM
fr4ed2384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
BTW, if the defense stays as is, this means Boyle doesn't have to play PK.

White, Murray, Vlasic, Burns, Vandermeer are all capable of playing PK.

Talk about a complete makeover of the defense.
Demers also played 1 1/2 min of PK last year

What interesting is the TOI/g for last year 10-11 for this defense
Boyle 26 min
Burns 26 min
Vlasic 21 min
Murray 19 1/2 min
Demers 19 1/2 min
C White 18 3/4 min
Vandermeer 18 1/4 min
Braun 16 1/2 Min

that is 131 min for the top 6 alone and another 35 min for Vandy and Braun .. Mac could cut Boyle and Burns ice time to 21 min each ..
Talk about keeping a d fresh all year

Old
08-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
White-Murray

Imagine that lineup. Offensive line, hybrid line, defensive line.

The possibilities.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
hockeyball

I get that the depth is nice, but the total lack of depth at forward is going to kill us. A defense alone is not going to win a cup and you guys are seriously underrating the forward depth issue.

There are 4 top 4 spots, we have 6 top 4 defenders right now and several possible in prospects. By the time Vlasic and Murray's contracts expire in 2 years we will still have Burns, Boyle, Demers and likely one of Braun, Petrecki, Doherty, or someone else vying for a spot. We won't be able to retain both Murray and Vlasic (and I personally prefer Murray). Even if Boyle is traded (which I doubt) neither Vlasic or Murray is a replacement.

When you realize that no matter what one of those two guys is not going to be around in 2 years, and right now you may be able to move one of them and not only strengthen the forward depth this year, you may be able to strengthen the forward depth for years to come, to me it's a no brainer.

I like both Vlasic and Murray, I do. I could make an argument to keep either one, but not both, not long term.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
White-Murray

Imagine that lineup. Offensive line, hybrid line, defensive line.

The possibilities.
I can imagine the PP(offensive unit) and PK(defensive unit) looking something like that, but we'll have to see how good burns really is defensively otherwise there's no point in having a super offensive line that gets scored on all the time.

I'm comfortable with the "balanced" pairings of murray-boyle, vlasic-burns, white-demers. Means one guy can always be risky with the puck and still have a defensively reliable partner backing him up.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I get that the depth is nice, but the total lack of depth at forward is going to kill us. A defense alone is not going to win a cup and you guys are seriously underrating the forward depth issue.

There are 4 top 4 spots, we have 6 top 4 defenders right now and several possible in prospects. By the time Vlasic and Murray's contracts expire in 2 years we will still have Burns, Boyle, Demers and likely one of Braun, Petrecki, Doherty, or someone else vying for a spot. We won't be able to retain both Murray and Vlasic (and I personally prefer Murray). Even if Boyle is traded (which I doubt) neither Vlasic or Murray is a replacement.

When you realize that no matter what one of those two guys is not going to be around in 2 years, and right now you may be able to move one of them and not only strengthen the forward depth this year, you may be able to strengthen the forward depth for years to come, to me it's a no brainer.

I like both Vlasic and Murray, I do. I could make an argument to keep either one, but not both, not long term.
I think you're seriously underestimating our top 6 and the Offensive D we have in Boyle, Burns & Demers. I agree we need to add a player, but we need not be in any hurry or trade away a player like Vlasic to make it happen. If it happens, for the right player, you won't see me cryin', but I like our depth on D right now and I hope the top 6 D stay as is.

Well, that was another in a long series of regrettable life choices
Old
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
This site is incredible!

I love hockey and hate counting, so it's perfect! Thanks!!!

Old
08-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
I can imagine the PP(offensive unit) and PK(defensive unit) looking something like that, but we'll have to see how good burns really is defensively otherwise there's no point in having a super offensive line that gets scored on all the time.

I'm comfortable with the "balanced" pairings of murray-boyle, vlasic-burns, white-demers. Means one guy can always be risky with the puck and still have a defensively reliable partner backing him up.
plus the balance in size which each line. big body each pairing.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, but it has to be the right piece. The Sharks are fine going into the season and they could get someone at the TDL when there are more sellers. I don't think trading Vlasic or Murray for a year of Comeau or Clutterbuck is the right move.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
This is just another one of Doug Wilson's copycat moves, and I don't mean that in a bad way. He saw how well Vancouver's defensive depth worked for them and he completely revamped the Sharks defense. Soooooo stoked.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I think you're seriously underestimating our top 6 and the Offensive D we have in Boyle, Burns & Demers. I agree we need to add a player, but we need not be in any hurry or trade away a player like Vlasic to make it happen. If it happens, for the right player, you won't see me cryin', but I like our depth on D right now and I hope the top 6 D stay as is.
I don't think he's underestimating the top 6; I'm assuming we can all agree it's as good as it's been in years. His point (and one I agree with) is that the Sharks need offense from their third line if they plan on going deep in the playoffs as recent champions and finalists have demonstrated. It makes no sense in Todd McLellan's system to ice a third line of McGinn, Handzus and Mitchell. TMac will ensure the Marleau line faces top competition which means the soft minutes the third line will receive as a result need to be capitalized on and none of those three are fit to accomplish that.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Le Rosbeef

Exceptional deal - there is no way White is worth just $1m per.

Amazing.

I wouldn't go out and deal anyone just yet - I'd take this roster into the year and see how they go. We could always make moves towards the deadline if needed given a lack of scoring etc...

Old
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I agree, but it has to be the right piece. The Sharks are fine going into the season and they could get someone at the TDL when there are more sellers. I don't think trading Vlasic or Murray for a year of Comeau or Clutterbuck is the right move.
If you could move Vlasic for Clutterbuck you do that and don't look back. Clutterbuck has 2 years left and is still an RFA after that. Comeau is an RFA as well at the end of this season so you are getting two years minimum there.

I'm all for an argument of getting a BETTER forward, but the point is I would rather give up a replaceable player that is likely on his way out fairly soon anyway than futures which we have so few of.

The problem with moving Vlasic (or Murray) at the deadline is that teams are generally looking for futures at the deadline (which we have a very small supply of) and Vlasic will have, for better or worse, developed a pairing with someone at that point.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:38 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Monster View Post
I don't think he's underestimating the top 6; I'm assuming we can all agree it's as good as it's been in years. His point (and one I agree with) is that the Sharks need offense from their third line if they plan on going deep in the playoffs as recent champions and finalists have demonstrated. It makes no sense in Todd McLellan's system to ice a third line of McGinn, Handzus and Mitchell. TMac will ensure the Marleau line faces top competition which means the soft minutes the third line will receive as a result need to be capitalized on and none of those three are fit to accomplish that.
I'm still all for signing Wellwood. I think he'd be a great fit with Mitchell and Handzus, and he wouldn't cost any roster players.

Old
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Last year we talked all about forward depth...

Essentially the biggest changes thus far:
-Setoguchi
-Heatley
-Wellwood

But:
+Havlat
+Handzus

If we were to sign Wellwood (which is within reality), we essentially trade the scoring of Seto and Heatley for an elite pker and defensive playmaker with speed. Havlat can get you 20+, and it's not unrealistic to think Handzus can get you 15 or possibly 20 if he has a great year.

Meanwhile in the land of defense:
-Huskins
-Wallin
-I. White

But:
+Burns
+C. White

That shifts the goal differential heavily. HEAVILY. Night and day. Burns had 17 goals last year. Fresher legs for everyone on the defense.

Our PK improves, our speed in the top 6 improves, our defensive depth vastly improves, our puck moving gets a little better, our PP stays elite...

Yes it'd be nice to get another forward capable of 15 goals. Maybe someone steps it up in a big way. There's always the deadline. I get what hockeyball is saying about trading from a strength to get a weakness, but if the bottom 6 is physical and defensively responsible... our defense makes our top 6 that much more lethal.

Sign Wellwood and you can have Pavs back on the 3rd line if need be, then you find someone who can play an effective role in the top 6 and maybe they aren't Setoguchi but there's enough talent up there to make up for it.

I say keep the defensive depth. If need be trade Moore + prospect for a 3rd liner, or utilize the deadline. This is the best we've looked on paper in quite some time. You only trade Vlasic or Murray if you think you're getting someone who has extreme potential to be a 2nd liner. Until then roll with these troops.

Closed Thread