HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville - Toronto (Weber)

Old
08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
They didn't offer him $4.75m. That was the low amount given to the arbiter for negotiation purposes during the hearing, not an amount expected or offered to Weber.

Be prepared to get flamed, by the way. This point has been discussed ad nauseum for two days.
Not looking to argue, just some info as i admit to know nothing about the Preds offer to him. I'm just going on what i've heard. I think they shoul keep him at all cost as he is a great D-Man.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not looking to argue, just some info as i admit to know nothing about the Preds offer to him. I'm just going on what i've heard. I think they shoul keep him at all cost as he is a great D-Man.
I'm not looking to argue either, trust me. The team supposedly offered him $5.5m for a single year, but close to $7.5m for a six year period. The $4.75m figure that was reported was the team's offer given to the arbiter. As barrytrotzsneck said, it was merely the team's attempt to keep the middle ground lower which is typical of NHL arbitration. Similarly, the Weber camp gave a number much too high in an effort to raise the middle ground. For example, had Weber's agent put in a request of $9m and the Preds put in an offer of $6m the middle ground is $7.5m. The arbiter is usually going to favor the player slightly, especially in a case like this where it's a superstar caliber player, so the number at the end would likely have been $8m. By lowing it to $4.75m they move the middle ground somewhere in the $6.5m area. They didn't get that result, but it was all in an effort to.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not looking to argue either, trust me. The team supposedly offered him $5.5m for a single year, but close to $7.5m for a six year period. The $4.75m figure that was reported was the team's offer given to the arbiter. As barrytrotzsneck said, it was merely the team's attempt to keep the middle ground lower which is typical of NHL arbitration. Similarly, the Weber camp gave a number much too high in an effort to raise the middle ground. For example, had Weber's agent put in a request of $9m and the Preds put in an offer of $6m the middle ground is $7.5m. The arbiter is usually going to favor the player slightly, especially in a case like this where it's a superstar caliber player, so the number at the end would likely have been $8m. By lowing it to $4.75m they move the middle ground somewhere in the $6.5m area. They didn't get that result, but it was all in an effort to.
Thanks, thats the info i was hoping to get. Surpised he would turn down 7.5per, any idea of the term he was offered?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:16 PM
81Leafs50

IN YOUR DREAMS!

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Thanks, thats the info i was hoping to get. Surpised he would turn down 7.5per, any idea of the term he was offered?
The only thing that has come out at all is that they offered a lower amount for a single year or two years, but offered *about* what was granted in arbitration for a six year deal. That's a rumor, but it has a source from within the organization. Exact structure hasn't been leaked at all, which isn't surprising. I think Weber wanted it to be heavily front loaded if he was going to sign a six year deal for a team that he isn't yet convinced will get him a Cup. The trouble for Poile then is paying a heavily front loaded contract, signing Suter and Rinne, and then adding pieces up front to show Shea that he is serious. It's a pretty sizable hang up, but I think they can work it out.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Reasonable value for Nashville (although I'd think someone other than Schenn as the blueliner addition would be fair also), but, yeah, Toronto doesn't have the offensive depth necessary for this trade to work. Which is kind of too bad.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote