HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Eric Brewer an overrated def?

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Arel

vCash: 500
Is Eric Brewer an overrated def?

I was wondering is Eric Brewer what overated , he is a really good defensman , have a great defensive game , but ..overrated or not?

Old
08-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Russian_fanatic

My answer is simply no. I think he's more underrated than overrated. His defensive game is so polished IMO, and his offensive touch will come soon enough.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:05 PM
adichiara03

agreed. He just hasnt broken through yet.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
My answer is simply no. I think he's more underrated than overrated. His defensive game is so polished IMO, and his offensive touch will come soon enough.
My thoughts as well. He was overrated for a while after his inclusion on the Canadian Olympic Team but people are now starting to underrate him. He has a very good defensive game and his closing speed on 1on1's is one of the best in the NHL. His offensive game is still fairly weak but even Jovanovski's offensive game didn't come around till his 7th season in the league (Brewer just completed his 6th). I don't think he'll ever be a 60 point guy but I fully expect him to round into a consistant 40 point guy from the back end..

Old
08-06-2004, 10:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I don't think he should be on Canada's World Cup Team...but he's a solid defenseman.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:14 PM
SabresFan44

Actually I think he is Over Rated. Maybe because my Dad is an oiler fan and I'm always getting calls from him saying how good Brewer is and so on.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I don't think he should be on Canada's World Cup Team...but he's a solid defenseman.
That's pretty much my opinion, too. There are other defencemen who deserve to be on that team ahead of him. He's a good defenceman, but he's nowhere near an all-star.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Arel

Maybe the future Adam Foote so?

Old
08-06-2004, 10:39 PM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arel
Maybe the future Adam Foote so?
2 completely different types of defensemen.

Foote is one mean, intimidating SOB. Nobody in the NHL likes to play against him.

Brewer is faster, younger, maybe even better offensively (hasn't shown it yet though) but isn't as smart in his own zone as foote, who is one of the premier defensive defensemen in the game nor is he as intimidating or physical.

If I had to choose between the two of them at the same age Brewer is now I'd pick Foote without giving it a second thought.

Old
08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
littleHossa

Yes Brewer is overrated to me, he gets as many points as Chris Phillips and has the same mobility as him.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Arel

Brewer play like...? who?

Old
08-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Brewer play like...? who?
Well I personally think he plays like Ohlund, but a poors man right now. Less offence, and a little worst defensively.

Either him or Jovo except a poors man, again lol.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Malefic74

I suppose it depends on whose opinion your going by. People on these boards (other than Oiler fans) tend to under-rate him a little. The hockey media over-rate him a little. The truth lies somewhere in between.

He's a big kid, but uses his size more for angles and clogging passing lanes than he does for hitting or battling for position. For someone his size you'd expect a little more strength in front of his own net, and yet he's significantly quicker than other players of similar size. His slapshot is a big weakness IMO, as it's not that hard and takes a long time to get off. He's far more effective with snapshots and wristers to the net and letting forwards bang away at rebounds. He's never going to be a guy who blows them by the goalies. His passing is good and he plays pretty smart. Where he gets into trouble is when he tries to do too much. This past season was a great example of that. With Niniimaa gone he tried to assume that role and play his own. It was too much and led to a lot of costly mistakes.

If he continues to progress he will probably develop into a solid Wade Redden type. But his defense has to improve. Someone with his skills and size and the amount of icetime he gets AND as part of the Oilers top pairing can NOT be a -6.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:51 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
If he continues to progress he will probably develop into a solid Wade Redden type. But his defense has to improve. Someone with his skills and size and the amount of icetime he gets AND as part of the Oilers top pairing can NOT be a -6.
Given that he plays 24+ Minutes a night (No.1 in Edmonton), against the other teams top players, on a team with questionable goaltending and a brutal power play, his +/- may not tell the entire story.

Put on a team that didn't have to rely on him "making the safe move," defensively to win, and a better coached powerplay, IMHO his offensive numbers would be better.

Brewer is not an elite defenseman. That he is is his teams number one defenseman, is young, and still has the potential to improve and become an elite defenseman is overvalued by some. He may not be an all-star, although I don't believe that he is far from being one.

Old
08-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Personally? Yeah, I think he's overrated. It has a lot to do with his draft position, his height (and the susequent comparisons that it draws), and lastly certain (and I say certain, not all) fan boys hopes of him. Now with that said, being overrated doesn't necessarily mean that he's a bad defenseman. On most teams I think he'd make a great second pairing defenseman. IMO though, he hasn't proven anything that would make me think any differently at the moment.

I think it's getting better as he improves and as the overhypers get tired of overhyping him.

Old
08-07-2004, 02:47 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I suppose it depends on whose opinion your going by. People on these boards (other than Oiler fans) tend to under-rate him a little. The hockey media over-rate him a little. The truth lies somewhere in between.
Sounds about right to me. I also agree with the guy who earlier said he was at first overrated and is now underrated.

Old
08-07-2004, 03:09 AM
se7en*

Yeah hes overrated. Hasn't had a + season since 2001 and shows up for maybe 30 games a year. I can't wait until we get our other D out of the system to make this lazy floater expendable.

Old
08-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I was wondering is Eric Brewer what overated , he is a really good defensman , have a great defensive game , but ..overrated or not?
I think he used to be overrated. But most of the people who embarassed themselves with the Brewer-worship have gone back to their hole and now he is mostly recognized for what he is: a pretty good D but not an amazing one.

So no, as a whole, I do not think he is overrated. Not anymore.

Old
08-07-2004, 01:31 PM
PigPen

He reminds me a bit of Bret Hedican.

Closed Thread