Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
VicWHL101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Royals lost tonight 6-3 to Kamloops. Crooks, Caroll and Nelson scored for Vic, and Rathjen had the start, stopping only 25 of 31. The next two games are HUGE! Not that I needed to say that.
They probably gave Rathjen the start knowing how important the two games in Prince George are. Hopefully Keith Hamilton is rested and has some confidence going into Friday night.

VicWHL101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:23 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Victoria at Prince George 24/25 Feb

at

With only 12 games left for the season, Victoria is now fighting for their skating lives. Every game is crucial and with the caliber of playing that has being going on, I fear that we may not make it.
Prince George, Everett and Seattle are all in the same boat. It will come down to the wire for the last two playoff spots.
By Thurs we may have a better idea as to who will be in.

CdnSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 01:21 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Victoria wins game one, 4-2 and Everett loses as well. Now to have the same happen again tomorrow night.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:39 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Royals grind it out in cats' den

When the going gets tough, the plumbers get going.

Getting full value from its grinders, the Victoria Royals recorded a critical 4-2 Western Hockey League victory over the host Prince George Cougars before 1,755 fans Friday night at the CN Centre.

“Our depth players came through with a good game,” said Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid.

“It was really workmanlike but it was a complete effort by guys like [Luke] Harrison, [Dakota] Conroy and [Zane] Jones. They were always a threat to score.”

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...#ixzz1nNR60kR0

Old
02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Spokane at Victoria 28/29 Feb 12

at

After taking two games in a row against Prince George and bumping up to 7th spot, the Royals are getting close to a playoff position.
With 10 games remaining in the season, the Royals need at least 6 wins to be in the playoffs.
Victoria has played Spokane twice this season losing both.
Spokane has lost 2 in a row and is 3 and 7 past 10

Old
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Royals getting hot at right time

Royals getting hot at right time
By Cleve Dheensaw, timescolonist.com February 27, 2012 Maybe inspired by the Academy Awards, Marc Habscheid used a movie reference to describe the vagaries and permutations of a stretch drive in the Western Hockey League.

“Junior hockey is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you will get until you bite,” said the Victoria Royals GM and head coach, channelling his inner Forrest Gump.

If a silent film can win best picture for the first time in 83 years, anything is possible in art and sport — like Everett’s unexpected 2-1 overtime victory against the Portland Winter Hawks on Sunday night that further complicated the Western Conference playoff race.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...#ixzz1nhlFm7uA

Old
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Hey guys, just noticed today that Tyler Stahl has only played in 11 games and I was wondering what's up? Is he stuck behind other guys or has he been injured? And how has he been when he has played?

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:41 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

6 1

Glad I stayed home this evening with the wife. Talking about getting spanked :groovy: 6 - 1 with 2 shorthand goals.
The only condolance to all this, and I am sorry for their fans as well is that Prince George and Everett suck as bad as we do

Old
02-29-2012, 11:44 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Hey guys, just noticed today that Tyler Stahl has only played in 11 games and I was wondering what's up? Is he stuck behind other guys or has he been injured? And how has he been when he has played?
Stahl was seriously injured at the beginning of the year. He was given clearance to play early Feb and has not been doing to bad.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
VicWHL101

Stahl really played on the edge last night. Some really good hits.

VicWHL101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
I hate how we are streaky like this. we play like were legitimate playoff contenders one week and the next week we play like ****.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Rysac

I was there for both mid week games. Tuesdays game was really good and i have no issues with it. i thought it was a rough game and was really entertaining. Wednesdays game was not so good glad i only paid 5 bucks for a ticket. Keegan Kanzig is really starting to impress me, it seems every game he is getting better and better and starting to fight on a regular basis. that fight with Spokane captain Kramer was also impressive. the fact that a 16 yr old was able to do that to a 20 yr old tough guy was amazing. you will be seeing allot more from him in the years to come. Jamie Crooks has stepped out of the shadow of Sundher and emerged as a pretty decent forward. hes embraced the role of the scorer/leader and is running with it. cant wait to watch the weekend match up with the giants. should be good and we definately need to steal at least one from the weekend

Rysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Royals to be Cheered on by Superfan Cameron

Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals will have a the ultimate 'superfan' Cameron Hughes cheering them on tomorrow night when they host the Vancouver Giants for Military Night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m.

Hughes has brought his energy and enthusiasm to sports arenas around North America as a true sports 'superfan'. He has led the cheering sections of professional sports teams such as the Los Angeles Dodgers, Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Lakers and Ottawa Senators. Cameron was also a part of the cheering crowds at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, as well as the 2011 U.S. Tennis Open.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4361980

Old
03-02-2012, 10:17 PM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Vancouver at Victoria 3/4 Mar

at

Victoria and Vancouver have met each other 7 times this season with the Giants taking 5 of them.
Vancouver is 5 - 5 past 10 while Victoria is 3 - 7 past 10.

7th and 8th spot is anybodys at this time and may go down to the wire.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:24 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

If you guys heard the guy yelling at the ref Benbow on Wednesday night, that was me. I mean, a lot of people were yelling at him but, I'm pretty sure I was the loudest.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnSailor View Post
at

Victoria and Vancouver have met each other 7 times this season with the Giants taking 5 of them.
Vancouver is 5 - 5 past 10 while Victoria is 3 - 7 past 10.

7th and 8th spot is anybodys at this time and may go down to the wire.
Could be a rough couple games for the Royals unless Hamilton stands on his head.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
Could be a rough couple games for the Royals unless Hamilton stands on his head.
You must mean Rathjen. Royals win 5-2. Rathjen with the start, and the win tonight.

Nice article on him...

Quote:
With 10 games left to go and a ticket to the post-season that just got a little to easier to grab with the four points earned in Prince George last weekend, the Royals’ still aren’t taking things for granted heading down the stretch. Habscheid says the hot-hand will start in goal.

“We just want to win games. Right now, Jared has been stopping the pucks that he should be stopping and he’s earned the right to continue,” Habscheid said.
“That’s how it should be,” added Hamilton. “It brings on a bit of competition which is the best for both goalies.”

Rathjen said, “It’s great to get the confidence from the coaches. It helps me feel more confident and more comfortable in the net. It’s huge.”
I actually have a lot of hope for Rathjen to get drafted this year. It will most likely be a very late pick, in the final few rounds but, he should find a home in someones system. My fingers are crossed he'll end up a Leaf.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Royals win the game 5-2?! With Rathjen in goal?! Unreal.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
You must mean Rathjen. Royals win 5-2. Rathjen with the start, and the win tonight.

Nice article on him...

I actually have a lot of hope for Rathjen to get drafted this year. It will most likely be a very late pick, in the final few rounds but, he should find a home in someones system. My fingers are crossed he'll end up a Leaf.
doubt it. he has the worst numbers in the dub. Not like it's all his fault but still.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
doubt it. he has the worst numbers in the dub. Not like it's all his fault but still.
No longer the worst numbers in the WHL, his GAA is under 5 now.

Love the guy, met him a couple of times at the start of season when they still had Gamble, really nice kid.

No way he gets drafted, he hasn't really taken his game to the WHL level. You notice that he flops around a lot and most of the saves are very lucky and are caused by smart plays by the defenseman. He has gotten much, much better then he was in 2011. But in no way he gets drafted, let alone fight with Hamilton for the #1 job.

I think they are resting Hamilton for the playoffs, but if Rathjen starts one playoff game, no way in hell they get past the first round. Not enough experience at the WHL level yet.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:40 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

5 2

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 0 2 0 2
Victoria Royals 2 2 1 5

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 10 11 10 31
Victoria Royals 6 11 10 27

THREE STARS
1. VIC - 4 Jordan Fransoo
2. VIC - 19 Logan Nelson
3. VIC - 1 Jared Rathjen

Was very impressed this evening by the Royals playing and end game.
Magic number as of the this evening is 12 for the Royals to make the playoffs.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:47 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

ROYALS TOPPLE GIANTS

Victoria nets two powerplay goals in 5-2 win over Vancouver.

For Immediate Release
Saturday, March 3rd, 2012

Victoria, BC – In a Saturday night matchup at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre the Victoria Royals welcomed the Vancouver Giants for the first of a two-game weekend series. The Royals gave Jared Rathjen the start in net while the Giants countered with Adam Morrison.

http://victoriaroyals.com/article/royals-topple-giants

Old
03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
CdnSailor
Go Royals Go

Rolals get crucial win over Royals

Canada's most famous football trophy was in the building — courtesy of former Salmon Kings and now B.C. Lions ticketing rep Jeff Hill — but colour this night far from Grey at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

The Victoria Royals scored a 5-2 Western Hockey League victory over the Vancouver Giants that was as spirited as it was crucial. Maybe that stiff wind felt across the capital region Saturday was the sigh of relief emanating from the Royals dressing room as the race for the final two of eight playoff berths in the Western Conference careens toward a conclusion.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Royals+...#ixzz1o81tfZJy

Old
03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
The good thing about scouts is, they don't just follow the numbers. If they're watching him now, they see a goalie who has a ton of upside. His game right now is as solid as anyone I've watched in the WHL this season.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Rysac

I am wondering what is going on in the dressing room. victoria has the worst goals against in the league and they were saying that they are "going to go with the hot hand." where was Rathjen all year? he played how many games prior to the prince george trip? 1 maybe 2. aside from the games he came in relief of Hamilton. he gets hot i understand that and steals two in P.G. game one against Spokane wasn't his fault, but the second game was kinda fishy. yet they didn't start Hamilton tonight. Yes we got the win and yes i believe it was a good call, but im wondering if Hamilton has had a falling out or there is a riff in the team. either way we are winning the games we need too to make the playoffs and i cannot wait but im stuck pondering "whats going on in the room?"

Rysac is offline   Reply With Quote