HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 Prospects, #9

View Poll Results: #9
Adam Almqvist - Defense 18 22.78%
Cory Emmerton - Center 4 5.06%
Thomas McCollum - Goaltender 4 5.06%
Petr Mrazek - Goaltender 8 10.13%
Xavier Ouellet - Defense 2 2.53%
Ryan Sproul - Defense 18 22.78%
Marek Tvrdon - Left Wing 2 2.53%
Dick Axelsson - Left Wing 18 22.78%
Mitchell Callahan - Right Wing 1 1.27%
Joakim Andersson - Center 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
ricky0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
You can say similar things about almost every player.

Sproul is getting votes now and he was just drafted. People voted for Sheahan early last year too.

And McCollum. His good numbers in juniors put him high up in people's rankings 2 years after the fact.

I think Mrazek has done good enough to be rated at least as highly as some of these other guys. At the level he plays, he is exceptional. We don't know if it will carry to the pros, but again, that's no different than anyone else.
the difference between him and the other players you just listed is that Mrazek was just drafted in the 5th round last year and the others were 1st/2nd rounders

personally it takes more than a single good year in juniors for me to put a player that was just drafted that late very high in the rankings

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I went with HTD. I've been pulling for the guy for a couple of years, though this is likely the last one. He doesn't make the jump next fall, I'm writing him off entirely.

I also liked AA, because he seems to project the best psychologically. Callahan is the surest shot left, but likely as a bottom6 guy. He just doesn't have the upside for me. I want to see another year of Sproul and Tvrdon before putting them this high.

Add Ferraro.

08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Go back and see how well he did during the calender year thus far. I think only Ryan Murphy had more points on the blueline in that same time then Sproul. I'd say it's not a lot but its a far cry from saying he's done nothing.. far from.
I think he had the second most goals in the second half of the season; that doesn't outshine Axelsson's or Almqvist's accomplishments in my eyes.

I'm also concerned over reports that "his decision-making is horrid in every zone on the ice and it goes beyond basic rawness". We've seen defensemen compensate for physical deficiencies with strong positioning and decision-making but rarely is it the other way around.

GeoSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
True I just think he had a better year in juniors last year than Sproul who currently has more votes.
Maybe the first half of the year, Sproul killed it in the second half. Plus his ceiling is higher

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Ryan Sproul seems like a major project.
One year of OHL hockey under his belt. Very, very, very raw. It's just really hard for me to say he's a good prospect at this point.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoSacks View Post
Sproul has done nothing to distinguish himself above many of these guys other than be 6'2". AA is already a pro and much closer to the NHL. Hell, from what I've read Ouellet has better puck skills and far better hockey sense but gets no love at all.
Not to mention Ouellet was drafted before Sproul, and no real hockey has been played since the draft.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Not to mention Ouellet was drafted before Sproul, and no real hockey has been played since the draft.
Just cause a player was drafted higher doesn't mean the organization thinks they are better than someone drafted after them

Old
08-04-2011, 11:43 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Just cause a player was drafted higher doesn't mean the organization thinks they are better than someone drafted after them
Not necessarily, but that is most likely the case.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Not necessarily, but that is most likely the case.
just playing devil's advocate

Old
08-05-2011, 01:46 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I went with HTD. I've been pulling for the guy for a couple of years, though this is likely the last one. He doesn't make the jump next fall, I'm writing him off entirely.
This is about how I feel. He may be an 'all-world jackass' who never plays for this organization but he's far too good of a hockey player not to be in the top 10 of this list (or higher). He's 24 years old, not 30. He has time.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:00 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

I also liked AA, because he seems to project the best psychologically. Callahan is the surest shot left, but likely as a bottom6 guy. He just doesn't have the upside for me. I want to see another year of Sproul and Tvrdon before putting them this high.

Add Ferraro.
I think many are doing the same. It's like the Grigorenko thing. You can only pull for the guy for so long before enough is enough. HTD has entered the no-more-excuses dimension this season and he should flourish.

AA, to me, needs to make sure he can separate himself from the rest of the pack with pure intelligence and emerge into special teams. I think most of us would agree that its very intriguing to sit back and see what Tvrdon can do if he's healthy for an entire season.

Last edited by zetterberg40: 08-05-2011 at 01:09 PM.
zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I think many are doing the same. It's like the Grigorenko thing. You can only pull for the guy for so long before enough is enough. HTD has entered the no-more-excuses dimension this season and he should flourish.

AA, to me, needs to make sure he can separate himself from the rest of the pack with pure intelligence and emerge into special teams. I think most of us would agree that its very intriguing to sit back and see what Tvrdon can do if he's healthy for an entire season.
WTF are you talking about?
With Grigorenko, how much did he do that pissed you off before you said "enough is enough?"

One freakin' camp? That's the extent of your patience before you say "enough is enough?"

Or did those years he spent in a coma and rehabbing from his SHATTERED bones piss you off too?

Old
08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
WTF are you talking about?
With Grigorenko, how much did he do that pissed you off before you said "enough is enough?"

One freakin' camp? That's the extent of your patience before you say "enough is enough?"

Or did those years he spent in a coma and rehabbing from his SHATTERED bones piss you off too?
He was in a coma for years?

And really, one camp is all we had, Grigorenko wasn't sticking around and isn't coming back.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:39 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
He was in a coma for years?
LOL. I never wrote that. I said he was in a coma and rehabbed for years.
But it figures you'd go after what I said, and not the person who somehow insinuated that Grigorenko was some kind of troublesome player that was a thorn in the side of the wings and their fans.

Quote:
And really, one camp is all we had, Grigorenko wasn't sticking around and isn't coming back.
I agree. What I take issue with is the moronic position that Grigorenko was a loafer, or lazy, or that he had a bad attitude.

Why don't people criticize Jesse Wallin for never fully recovering from his serious car crash? Because he's not Russian?

I don't know. Maybe people had unfair expectations of Grigorenkp when he came over and hold it against him that he wasn't able to reach them.
Or Maybe it's just more of this white trash hatorade against Europeans who don't want to "pay their dues" in Grand Rapids.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
You should have probably phrased it better because it definitely looked like you were saying he was in a coma for years. How long was in actually in a coma, though?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:01 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You should have probably phrased it better because it definitely looked like you were saying he was in a coma for years. How long was in actually in a coma, though?
Yeah. Everybody knows I was trying to say Grigorenko was in a coma for years, right? Because I'd lie about that and nobody here, being Red Wings fans, would know any better.
That was sarcasm, in case you didn't know.

Old
08-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Leadzedder

Axelsson (easily)

Add Ferraro

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 06:26 AM
gamefan14*

On the thread though, HTD is probably the most talented prospect left, and would probably be at 5-6 if people liked him but I really doubt he's ever gonna play for the wings.

gamefan14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I think we need a tie-breaker for this one.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Anchor Town

Someone should take initiative and start the next one. Ill be outta town the next few days

Old
08-06-2011, 07:19 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Ryan Sproul seems like a major project.
One year of OHL hockey under his belt. Very, very, very raw. It's just really hard for me to say he's a good prospect at this point.
Very, very, very raw indeed. However, if the end of the season spurt is a sign of what he could potentially do... he could also become scary good.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:09 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Very, very, very raw indeed. However, if the end of the season spurt is a sign of what he could potentially do... he could also become scary good.
Could. But if you take the best eight-week stretch of any prospect's career, you can project great things.
Seems like he's not accomplished enough to be viewed as a top prospect at this point.

Old
08-06-2011, 11:26 PM
newfy

Quote:
Could. But if you take the best eight-week stretch of any prospect's career, you can project great things.
Seems like he's not accomplished enough to be viewed as a top prospect at this point.
Sproul apparently was the second best defenseman in camp besides Smith, so that is saying something as well. In his first camp he was outplaying pros like Almqvist and a slew of other guys who had experience at these types of things.

Take that knowledge and given his physical gifts/ability its hard to not be high on the guy

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:34 AM
jacK

w/ the banks out of town and 3 days of voting down, i'm going to call this a 3-way tie with 17 votes each, and start up a poll for #12

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:22 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Sproul apparently was the second best defenseman in camp besides Smith, so that is saying something as well. In his first camp he was outplaying pros like Almqvist and a slew of other guys who had experience at these types of things.

Take that knowledge and given his physical gifts/ability its hard to not be high on the guy
Doesn't have enough natural skill with the puck like Hudler and Zherdev.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote