HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you improve the in-arena experience? (other than changing the music)

Old
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
A little arcade section somewhere by a bar that includes
-Air hockey
-Bubble hockey
-NHL open ice 2 on 2 challenge (Bonk is a machine in that video)

-Golden Tee, with a custom made board of all Leafs players on it
-Ice Strippers

I think Im describing of what I want in my basement actually. Either way that would be a fun intermission.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 143
A NEW ****ING SCOREBO..... oh wait

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
How do you inject passion into people? It's the like the people in that arena have no soul.
I generally agree with this, but I *do* get excited, mostly when I get something for a lot less money or I get something free or the product on the ice was exciting itself.

The only time I got excited about the team in recent memory was Pizza Line days, where I was completely insufferable with the Habs fan (with Habs Lunch Box) and Leafs fans cubicle mates at work. It was so delicious!

These days though, just go with the wife and a kid and enjoy the game but mostly sit on my ass all the time and don't cheer. That might change if the team plays fast, hard-hitting and exciting hockey. Also, excitement comes from the top and when I see a wizened 70 year old that's always sad...instead of a pimpin' 70 year old in nice sweaters and coke-bottle glasses with swagga....or another guy that radiates calm and knowledge, that doesn't help things.

As for the OP:

Better music
Scoreboard
Less stuff with kids during the intermissions...instead get a light show going, get Gord Wilson pumping us up.
Sparatacat interacting with fans more. When I went to the PEns/Sens playoff with my friend in a baby-blue Malkin jersey I got Sparty to wrestle him down, was awesome.

Anyway, excitement starts at the top. It translated through team success and performance. Conservative GM, safe team, crowd that's gone through 45 minutes getting to that place, all adds up.

Actually, TAILGATING.

Get some BBQs and beer out there!

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Also, please bring back the goalies who race around the rink. That was so much more entertaining than people pushing shopping carts.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Chinstrap

Generally not a fan of the ice girls idea. I mean, sure hot girls around isn't automatically a bad thing...but it's just a dumb football idea that they've tried to convert to hockey. Hockey and baseball are unique in that they don't need to bring in strippers to get people to appreciate the game...why not keep it that way? If a classy organization like Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, etc. did that, there would be a riot. Ottawa doesn't need to stoop to the level of Carolina or Dallas to get fans to games.

The number one thing to make the experience better is to make it louder. Not sure if they could do that architecturally or something, but it's like the f-ing library in there some nights. Maybe hire people to get cheers going in each section? Better timing for contests and stuff? Less respect for the other team?

Last edited by Chinstrap: 08-04-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Chinstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinstrap View Post
Generally not a fan of the ice girls idea. I mean, sure hot girls around isn't a bad thing...but it's just a dumb football idea that they've tried to convert to hockey. If a classy organization like Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, etc. did that, they'd get laughed at. We don't need to stoop to the level of Carolina or Dallas to get fans to games.
Agreed. It's just tacky. Nothing says second-class franchise like bringing in cheap American gimmicks.

Honestly, I'm not so sure that much can be done to improve the experience beyond improving the on-ice product. The lack of excitement is a result of the culture of the individual crowd members, and not a reflection of the arena's entertainment ability. With tickets being so expensive, the bulk of people going to games are going to be quieter, white-collar people. You can't change that.

However, I do have some suggestions:
- Work more closely with RSF. Encourage people to join RSF, encourage other groups to form.
- Divide the arena into zones for different kinds of fans. Have a (real) family zone (not a lower ticket price area where non-family cheapos sit, like we have now), where the culture will be quieter and more family-oriented. Have a hardcore zone, where all the the rowdy fans can get together. When it's a Toronto or Montreal game, have an away fans zone where they can get together. Allowing like-minded fans to be together would allow them to build up far more energy than they could if they were scattered around the building. That energy would then become infectious and spread around the arena.
- Less cheese. So many of the contests and on-ice events are just so cheesy. You don't need to get rid of them all together, just make them a little more classy.
- Improve the PA system. Some say Kimberly is great at speaking English and French. That's a surprise to me. To me, she's just a great speaker of jibberish, I can't understand what she's saying half the time the speakers are so terrible. Spread them around the arena instead of having them all in the middle around the scoreboard.
- Do not touch Lyndon Slewidge. This man is one of the best things the Senators' in-arena experience has going for it.
- Generate more music based of the Sens introduction theme, and use these pieces of music for other important moments. Have a Sens-win-the-game-in-OT song, a Sens-score song, a Sens-win-a-fight song, all based on the same theme (while still being reasonably different). Instant class.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Do Make Say Think
d00 da Bieber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This is totally unrelated to this thread, but does anyone have any idea why we make that weird "et eu" noise at the end of the that "Car ton bras sait porter l'epee (et eu)" and "Ton histoire est un epopee (et eu)" verses? What is with that?
Epee and Epopee are feminine: the first "e" should have an accent and the second one is for the feminine. So when sung it goes just like you spell it out :et (e with accent aigue) eu (the letter e in french).

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
The Illusive Man

To enhance MY experience:

Play music I like, Give me free food, put me in good seats, win games, let me high five Karlsson during intermission, Ice girls.

The Illusive Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

I'm rather content with the in-game experience as it is. More free **** fired into the stands maybe.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Chinstrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
- Improve the PA system. Some say Kimberly is great at speaking English and French. That's a surprise to me. To me, she's just a great speaker of jibberish, I can't understand what she's saying half the time the speakers are so terrible. Spread them around the arena instead of having them all in the middle around the scoreboard.
- Do not touch Lyndon Slewidge. This man is one of the best things the Senators' in-arena experience has going for it.
On the first: so true. The PA system is garbage. I'm also not a Kimberley fan. I mean, not in the personal sense, I'm sure she's a wonderful person. But her stumbling through English (IMO) just leaves the fans embarrassed.

On the second: qft.

Chinstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

What would you say is the absolute worst part of the in-game show?

For me, it's the stupid "Sparty playing a shell game in a cheap townhouse" thing. So called sens fans yell louder about which cup the ball is under than they do when we score goals. Then the guy wins like $20 off a house or something

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I'd love it if they got some of the Algonquin visual arts kids to make up some sick looking video vignettes about the sens in 3d animation. Awesome vids for the fans to enjoy, plus it's a good promotion for the school/students. Play the best ones at the games.

Maybe throw a couple local house bands that can play outside on a little stage before and after the games like when you're walking into blues fest. They'll basically do it for free exposure.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Harbinger
Oppose and Disagree

Is the atmosphere in that building THAT bad?

Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM
LeTigre

Want a louder, livelier, more passionate crowd? Set up a light rail hub adjacent to SBP with another stop at the Centrum already. Get people to the game drunk and belligerent.. instead of sober, responsible, and dreading the behind the wheel experience in the parking lot for 45 mins after the game (35 mins with the new on ramp).

In addition, have the ushers allow for increased freedom of expression from 'passionate' fans. It's a downer to see people plucked from games in the second period for being too loud. It's a live sports experience in a private facility. Censorship should be limited, because as it stands I always feel like I have to keep a lid on it when I'm getting loud, for fear of being kicked out by a semi-retired usher couple working the upper 300's.

Finally, lower the drink prices a little, or at least cap them for a long term time-frame, and allow for more sales to the individual at a given time. Drinking is what loosens up the crowd, and the way the fanbase drinks at SBP is far from efficient or optimal. It's simple, really.

And I'm not even a heavy drinker.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
It's Ottawa. We'll complain about anything and everything.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
It's not THAT bad, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Another thing I was thinking, going back to how I said earlier that I wouldn't get season tix because the repetitive nature of the experience makes it go stale that much quicker - have a few different opening montage videos, instead of the same one for every single home game. Hell, if CBC can come up with a new one every week (and every day in the playoffs), we can do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba troopa
I'd love it if they got some of the Algonquin visual arts kids to make up some sick looking video vignettes about the sens in 3d animation. Awesome vids for the fans to enjoy, plus it's a good promotion for the school/students. Play the best ones at the games.
There's a solution right there

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
In addition, have the ushers allow for increased freedom of expression from 'passionate' fans. It's a downer to see people plucked from games in the second period for being too loud. It's a live sports experience in a private facility. Censorship should be limited, because as it stands I always feel like I have to keep a lid on it when I'm getting loud, for fear of being kicked out by a semi-retired usher couple working the upper 300's.
I can tell you that this is going to change over the next year or two. Don't expect it overnight, but it's looking like a gradual thing.

Although I have to say, I've never heard of anyone being kicked out for being too loud. In fact, most ushers I know WANT the fans to be as loud as they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
Finally, lower the drink prices a little, or at least cap them for a long term time-frame, and allow for more sales to the individual at a given time. Drinking is what loosens up the crowd, and the way the fanbase drinks at SBP is far from efficient or optimal. It's simple, really.

And I'm not even a heavy drinker.
Can't really blame the Sens for this, all the food in the building is subcontracted to Aramark. They set the prices.
I can tell you that SBP is one of the ten cheapest beers in the NHL. Or at least they were like 2 years ago. Crazy expensive beer is an issue league-wide.

As for the "more sales to an individual at one time", that's regulated by the AGCO (Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario).

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:39 AM
LeTigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I can tell you that this is going to change over the next year or two. Don't expect it overnight, but it's looking like a gradual thing.

Although I have to say, I've never heard of anyone being kicked out for being too loud. In fact, most ushers I know WANT the fans to be as loud as they can be.

Can't really blame the Sens for this, all the food in the building is subcontracted to Aramark. They set the prices.
I can tell you that SBP is one of the ten cheapest beers in the NHL. Or at least they were like 2 years ago. Crazy expensive beer is an issue league-wide.

As for the "more sales to an individual at one time", that's regulated by the AGCO (Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario).
Damn AGCO. Ruining the in-arena experience for everyone. The nerve!

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Lexicon Devil

Oh yeah, it would be so "tacky" and "American" to have good-looking women performing tasks that involve high visibility. I'm sure there would be "a riot" if women were ever objectified that way in Montreal.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:44 AM
BK201

Free parking. Or so cheap it's almost free parking.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:43 AM
PablitoArg

the color in the arena is too blunt... paint the stairs and walls everywhere in RED ... Put some heavy lights inside the arena every time we score !!

Even boost up the music, with added Go Sens Go chants in the music... So we sound 10x louder, and hearing that will make the fans even louder !!!!

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Bob Kudelski

Cyril Leeder on the Team1200 this morning hinted that there would be girls (cheerleaders?) in the stands this season.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Philoops
Summer Can Distract

My only complaint is all the fans complaining. Make everyone stop complaining and the atmosphere of the building and the fans would be a lot less embarrassing. Don't like the between game entertainment: Go buy your food then instead of getting in peoples way during the game. Don't like the prices? Eat before you go. Don't like how quiet it is? Yell, CHEER! Don't like the parking? Well they are trying to fix that... All I gotta say, honestly I never realized how down on our team sens fans are, complaining about every little detail about the organization.. Go Sens Go!!!

Philoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
My only complaint is all the fans complaining. Make everyone stop complaining and the atmosphere of the building and the fans would be a lot less embarrassing. Don't like the between game entertainment: Go buy your food then instead of getting in peoples way during the game. Don't like the prices? Eat before you go. Don't like how quiet it is? Yell, CHEER! Don't like the parking? Well they are trying to fix that... All I gotta say, honestly I never realized how down on our team sens fans are, complaining about every little detail about the organization.. Go Sens Go!!!
Yeah, a REAL fan just ignores problems and hopes they go away on their own.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
Yeah, a REAL fan just ignores problems and hopes they go away on their own.
Maybe he actually believes that the problems aren't that bad. Sounds crazy but I agree with him.

I enjoy myself very much every sens game I go to, except when the team gets blown out on home ice. Can't really blame the people running the arena for that one.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote