HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

How would you improve the in-arena experience? (other than changing the music)

Old
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
No. They paid for their ticket just like you did... last time I checked, there was no age restriction to liking hockey. In fact, there are a lot of seniors with lots of disposable incomes who drop a lot of money at the arena. They make up a pretty good number of STH's.
I'm just sayin, they're not exactly livening the place up.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoArg View Post
the color in the arena is too blunt... paint the stairs and walls everywhere in RED ... Put some heavy lights inside the arena every time we score !!

Even boost up the music, with added Go Sens Go chants in the music... So we sound 10x louder, and hearing that will make the fans even louder !!!!
This. I'm surprised no one mentioned this before. Don't get the maroon upholstery. Don't underestimate the power of visual impact. Bright red or deep black seats with the proper lighting would help.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Chinstrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Oh yeah, it would be so "tacky" and "American" to have good-looking women performing tasks that involve high visibility. I'm sure there would be "a riot" if women were ever objectified that way in Montreal.

Dude, "good-looking girls performing high-visibility tasks" isn't what ice girls are. Ice girls are dressed-down dance teams that have mascot-like attention purely for their cup size. Again, I'm a fan of cup size as much as the next guy, but that's pretty much the definition of tacky.

The riot in Montreal wouldn't be because women were objectified (that's not even close to what my point was), it would be because ice girls are not a part of hockey at all, and Montreal fans are thankfully opposed to such tackiness and gimmickry. This is a team that didn't even have a mascot until after the lockout.

Chinstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
The in-arena experience is what separates it from just watching it on TV. I can get a group of my friends together, split on a pizza and a case of beer, and have an enjoyable time for a fraction of the cost of going out to the game.

I think a lot of people who never go to games because they don't like the experience are silly and not worth catering to, but I'll tell you now that I have minimal interest in holding any kind of ticket package - though I try to get to one or two games a year - because I have no interest in taking in the current game experience 12/22/44 times a year, and I'm sure there's plenty of us out there, and these are the people that need to be listened to.
You are cheap and not a true hockey fan of this team. Yeah, there are plenty of cheap freeloaders who are on the backs of STHs and other ticket buyers who do the heavy lifting. Enjoy your pizza and beer at home because there is nothing like being at a game live, which you obviously don't get.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

How bout a compramise of just scantily clad shovel girls?? Did we not use to have that a few years back?

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
coladin

As far as improvements, I know a lot of people hate the parking lot thus you have people running to the parking lot to get to their car in order to avoid getting stuck. A very simple solution which is what I noticed leaving the United States Grand Prix, an F1 race, at Indianapolis. There were 200,00 plus and no light rail station. They had cops override the lights.

1. A clear egress path to get out of the parking lot

2. Over pass for pedestrians. As people leave Gate 2 or gate 1 and they cross over from parking lot 2 to where the hug lot is on the opther side of the street...you need an overpass where fans climb over the street while the cars can continue uninterrupted out to the Queensway. Anyone who has been to an F1 race would know what I mean as at Montreal you climb over the track as the cars pass underneath you. It would work beautifully.

3. The cops would direct everyone right from that area, the main area both lanes, and everyone else would exit left both lanes to the exit interchange.

Everything else? I go to watch the game. i am pretty intense at the game and a whistle gives me a chance to exhale, if anything. Every hockey arena is the same. We have all watched TV, we have all heard the music, it is the same everywhere.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
You are cheap and not a true hockey fan of this team.
1 - I earn my money, don't tell me what I should do with it. You go ahead and blow your allowance on hockey tickets; next week I'm going on my sixth major trip in the last year and a half - I'm sorry I've disappointed you and disgraced our team by preferring to go out and see the world instead of the inside of a hockey arena.

2 - I don't need to waste my time to "prove" to anyone that I'm a "true fan". If you want to think you're a "better fan" than I am because you go to more games than I do, you go right ahead. I'll be right here pretending to give a crap about where I rank on the list of "true fans" of this team.

Quote:
Yeah, there are plenty of cheap freeloaders who are on the backs of STHs and other ticket buyers who do the heavy lifting.
Good for the STHs. If they're happy taking in the exact same experience 44 times, more power to them. For me, once or twice a year is enough. I have better things to do with my money.

Quote:
Enjoy your pizza and beer at home because there is nothing like being at a game live, which you obviously don't get.
I'll also enjoy my replays, updates on the game (and others in progess), not having to hear "Cotton Eye Joe", and having enough money to explore my other non-hockey pursuits & passions (which you obviously don't have if you're blowing all your money on hockey tickets).

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Yeah, seeing a game at home on HDTV is actually better than going to a game, for me at least.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Yeah, a REAL fan just ignores problems and hopes they go away on their own.
A real fan is grateful we even have a team and gives constructive criticism. Im just disgusted when people btch and moan about everything and make it sound like our organization sucks. When I went to see the sens prospects, someone asked Cyril Leeder, in the presence of the new coach and the heads of scouting, why there is no hot water in the washrooms, WTF!? It makes all of us look bad.

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
L2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Ice girls, nuff said
Yup! What an easy way to entertain the at least 50% of the audience who appreciates an attractive female.

Call them something politically correct e.g. "Sens Ice Crew"and don't dress them overly slutty and you're good.

L2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
Yeah, seeing a game at home on HDTV is actually better than going to a game, for me at least.
You cheap, freeloading, non-fan, you.....

Old
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
My friend has the most insane set up for TV with projectors and insane sound system and all you can think of, but it still doesn't come anywhere close to being as exciting as going to a game, no matter what's going on in the arena.

Honestly I can't even begin to understand how someone can say "I'd rather watch it on TV". Watching the game from home has it's advantages no doubt, but being able to see the entire play develop (rather than being restricted to the camera) is well worth the price of admission. That being said, I always go to the 300s: I'm not paying hundreds of dollars to be against the glass!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

I've mentioned it before in other threads but I would really like the Sens to embrace modern technology (i.e. tablets and smart phones) to max the in-game inexperience.

First Wi-Fi the whole friggin' arena. Next, set up a "private website" (fans get their log-in when they get to their seat) and create a multimedia experience that they can watch on their tablet/smart phone.

1) Play-by-play - actual REAL TIME play-by-play by Dean and Gord (not the 7 second delay of Team 1200. I know old people love listening to the call while watching.

2) On demand instant-replay. Wanna watch that hit again? How about the goal that was called off? Now you can. Watch it on your phone or tablet so you can see if when you want during the game.

3) Access to different streaming cameras. Wanna see what's happening on the bench? Or in the penalty box. BOOM - Select-a-camera.

It's not the most pressing need but in my opinion, we're the tech capital of Canada, let's make our arena reflect it!

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I've mentioned it before in other threads but I would really like the Sens to embrace modern technology (i.e. tablets and smart phones) to max the in-game inexperience.

First Wi-Fi the whole friggin' arena. Next, set up a "private website" (fans get their log-in when they get to their seat) and create a multimedia experience that they can watch on their tablet/smart phone.

1) Play-by-play - actual REAL TIME play-by-play by Dean and Gord (not the 7 second delay of Team 1200. I know old people love listening to the call while watching.

2) On demand instant-replay. Wanna watch that hit again? How about the goal that was called off? Now you can. Watch it on your phone or tablet so you can see if when you want during the game.

3) Access to different streaming cameras. Wanna see what's happening on the bench? Or in the penalty box. BOOM - Select-a-camera.

It's not the most pressing need but in my opinion, we're the tech capital of Canada, let's make our arena reflect it!
I think this is a little unrealistic.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:

What a great idea! Unfortunately that sounds pretty expensive, wouldn't that bump up costs for tickets....

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Untill we have truley unlimited plans i don't think so much features as you listed would go over very well.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
coladin

Quote:
1 - I earn my money, don't tell me what I should do with it. You go ahead and blow your allowance on hockey tickets; next week I'm going on my sixth major trip in the last year and a half - I'm sorry I've disappointed you and disgraced our team by preferring to go out and see the world instead of the inside of a hockey arena.

2 - I don't need to waste my time to "prove" to anyone that I'm a "true fan". If you want to think you're a "better fan" than I am because you go to more games than I do, you go right ahead. I'll be right here pretending to give a crap about where I rank on the list of "true fans" of this team.

Good for the STHs. If they're happy taking in the exact same experience 44 times, more power to them. For me, once or twice a year is enough. I have better things to do with my money.

I'll also enjoy my replays, updates on the game (and others in progess), not having to hear "Cotton Eye Joe", and having enough money to explore my other non-hockey pursuits & passions (which you obviously don't have if you're blowing all your money on hockey tickets).
Sure, sure...trip away my friend.

Doesn't change the fact that your participation on this forum, this Sens board doesn't jive with the way you support your team. For you to come in here and post with all kinds of Sens fans, fanatics over 8,000 times then don't give a crap to actually go see those games tells me you are full of it. You and your eight trips or whatever the hell it is.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:14 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
My friend has the most insane set up for TV with projectors and insane sound system and all you can think of, but it still doesn't come anywhere close to being as exciting as going to a game, no matter what's going on in the arena.

Honestly I can't even begin to understand how someone can say "I'd rather watch it on TV". Watching the game from home has it's advantages no doubt, but being able to see the entire play develop (rather than being restricted to the camera) is well worth the price of admission. That being said, I always go to the 300s: I'm not paying hundreds of dollars to be against the glass!
Me neither. Watch on TV, a hockey fan, instead of live. The reason the freeloaders are even able to watch the games is because of fans who buy tickets and support the team. People have to find a price that is right for them and there is not a bad seat in the house. Of course, if you go to the games to hear the DJ, like some people here, than you are not as biga hockey fan as you may think...

Old
08-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Hutz
Classless User

delete, sorry

Last edited by Hutz: 08-05-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that your participation on this forum, this Sens board doesn't jive with the way you support your team. For you to come in here and post with all kinds of Sens fans, fanatics over 8,000 times then don't give a crap to actually go see those games tells me you are full of it.
Full of what? The only person trying to prove what kind of fan I am is you - for some reason you're desperate to paint me as some kind of awful fan because I prefer to watch the game at home than at the arena *gasp!*, and go out and do things with my friends instead of throwing thousands of dollars at hockey tickets.

And now you're claiming that there should be some correlation between how much I post on an internet message board and how many hockey games I attend. Next you'll be asking what temperature I set my thermostat to, and telling me that a "real fan" would have set it a little higher.

If there's any kind of fan that the Senators don't need, it's the type that start pissing contests with other fans over who loves them the mostest, and try to shame other fans into blowing money on tickets and jerseys and crap to "prove" themselves as fans.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinstrap View Post
Dude, "good-looking girls performing high-visibility tasks" isn't what ice girls are. Ice girls are dressed-down dance teams that have mascot-like attention purely for their cup size. Again, I'm a fan of cup size as much as the next guy, but that's pretty much the definition of tacky.
Dance teams? The only places I have seen them (e.g. Long Island) they just have girls shoveling the ice.

Tacky? It's a professional sporting event, not the metrpolitan opera.

Quote:
The riot in Montreal wouldn't be because women were objectified (that's not even close to what my point was), it would be because ice girls are not a part of hockey at all, and Montreal fans are thankfully opposed to such tackiness and gimmickry. This is a team that didn't even have a mascot until after the lockout.
I haven't been to the Bell Centre in years, but they used to have dancers in the 300 sections, so your point seemed a bit ridiculous. A "traditional team" would never have to stoop so low, right? Chicago:

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Untill we have truley unlimited plans i don't think so much features as you listed would go over very well.
Bell is a pretty large sponsor at Scotiabank Place (they even have their own booth set up on the 300 level).

They could easily sponsor the development of wifi in the building. I believe there are other arenas in NA already doing this.

OR you make it a pay feature of $5 extra - Call it SENSXTRAVISION™ and subsidize the costs.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
coladin

Quote:
Full of what? The only person trying to prove what kind of fan I am is you - for some reason you're desperate to paint me as some kind of awful fan because I prefer to watch the game at home than at the arena *gasp!*, and go out and do things with my friends instead of throwing thousands of dollars at hockey tickets.

And now you're claiming that there should be some correlation between how much I post on an internet message board and how many hockey games I attend. Next you'll be asking what temperature I set my thermostat to, and telling me that a "real fan" would have set it a little higher.

If there's any kind of fan that the Senators don't need, it's the type that start pissing contests with other fans over who loves them the mostest, and try to shame other fans into blowing money on tickets and jerseys and crap to "prove" themselves as fans.
Correlation between how much you post and what kind of fan you are? Yes, there should be. Phrases such as "throwing thousands of dollars at hockey tickets" and "blowing money on tickets and jerseys and crap" simply do not make any sense with someone who posts over 8,000 times , typically about their cheapest, errr, favourite team. It's blasphemy. When fans start saying "thousands" it usually means that they don't want to spend money because for less than a thousand you can see lots of live hockey. Oh wait, let me guess...you don't want nosebleed seats and whenever you have time between your trips to Fiji and Rome, you only sit along the glass right?

I would much rather you be honest and just state that you don't want to spend your hard earned money rather than insult the intelligence of fans on this forum, that's all. Who you kidding? A true fan of this team wouldn't dare say they are throwing money away or blowing money on tickets, jerseys and crap. Doesn't make sense if you are a fan of this team...

Old
08-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Kid Canesten

here's how we do it:

a) we must find something everyone here in ottawa hates (i.e. dany heatley) and incorporate it (or him) into the game. last year's game against the sharks was one of the loudest and best games ive ever been to.

b) whenever we play the leafs or habs, anyone with a leafs or habs jersey is not allowed in...or we're allowed to throw stones at them. it will be considered a team building exercise.

if we follow these two points, we're golden

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Pitlick*

1. Velvet covered seats you can buy either heat or vibration with a quarter.
2. Larger seats; 50% bigger
3. Seats should recline: take out some rows
4. Cheerleaders
5. Cheerleaders that will dance right in front of you for $10
6. Champagne room
7. Shisha
8. Lounges for well cigarred poker games before during and after game
9. Oh yeah, there's a hockey game down there.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote