HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can win Stanley within 3 years

Old
08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers can win Stanley within 3 years

ESPN Insider article by Mike Hume. Writes ESPN the Magazine and ESPN Insider.

Discusses the addition of Brad Richards which will only help Derek Stepan and Artem Anisimov.

Constants. Henrik Lundqvist and Marc Staal. The Rangers D will only get better with the addition of Tim Erixon and the progress of MDZ and Valentenko.

Future. Chris Kreider and Christian Thomas

Quote:
All of this guarantees precisely nothing. But the Rangers' roster is now in a position to challenge the league's best for the Cup for the next three years. The championship window is now wide open. And the view from it seems quite bright.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...y-good-3-years

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think there isn't a Rangers fan alive that doesn't feel the Rangers are in that 3-4 year window.

With that said I think once the Rangers get that LW'er to play with Richards and Gaborik then we're really set.

Until then I'm not sure even with the development of our prospects that we are fully ready to compete. We need one more 70+ point scorer on the team imo.

08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I think there isn't a Rangers fan alive that doesn't feel the Rangers are in that 3-4 year window.

With that said I think once the Rangers get that LW'er to play with Richards and Gaborik then we're really set.

Until then I'm not sure even with the development of our prospects that we are fully ready to compete. We need one more 70+ point scorer on the team imo.
Have you taken a survey of all of the Rangers fans?

I think the Rangers are in that 3 year window.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
NYR Viper

Very good read

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Have you taken a survey of all of the Rangers fans?

I think the Rangers are in that 3 year window.
I agree that the Rangers are in that 3-4 year window.

I judge my statement based on all the talk I've seen around the boards.

I think everyone of us around here feel like we are on the cusp of being a Stanley Cup Contender.

But like I said, I personally don't think we're there yet until we get that one more LW'er, but I agree with the fact that were are entering this window.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think they're in the top 12 teams in the league, which gives them a chance no matter what. I can still say that at least 6 teams are better than they are roster-wise.

Pittsburgh
Washington
Vancouver
Chicago
San Jose
Detroit

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
eco's bones

Not sure about this coming season. I think we'll be better but there still isn't a lot of playoff experience especially at defense--and in regards to a team that hasn't been past the first round in a while.

Two things that could use an upgrade:

1) a pwp qb defenseman
2) another scoring forward--preferrably a left wing.

It's possible that MDZ will get some of his touch back and that Dubinsky will become a higher and more consistent scorer.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Brunomics

Why is it only a 3 year window with your young D and Lundquivst as well as your young forwards as well?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
broadwayblue

This year I expect us to make the playoffs.

Next year I expect us to contend.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Why is it only a 3 year window with your young D and Lundquivst as well as your young forwards as well?
The author appears to be using the 2014 offseason as the potential breaking point. He isn't saying that the window will definitely close in 3 years. Instead, he's saying that when the Rangers need to re-sign Lundqvist, Gaborik, Callahan, etc. as UFAs, the window could close, but at the very least, it will be open for the next three years.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
While things like a PPQB and a scoring LW are needed, we also need the little things.

-Someone who will cause havoc in the crease
-Our D-Man (not named Sauer) should actually defend Lundqvist when he holds the puck or guys are whacking at his pads.

I've never felt more confident for this team but I don't think winning a cup is realistic just yet.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Probably because Callahan, Lundqvist, and Gaborik are all unrestricted in 3 years.

08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Free agency and the salary cap doesn't allow a team to keep all of their top players. It's that way in the NHL and NFL. The Rangers have the roster under contract for the next 3 years.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
ck20

Quote:

Before we got Richards, it was "all we need is Richards to bring Gaborik back to form and we're set." Now it's "all we need is an elite winger to play with Richards and Gaborik and we're set." Next it's going to be "all we need is a time machine to draft Lidstrom, bring his younger self forward in time to play with Staal on our 1st d-pair and we're set."

The Bruins didn't have a single 70-point player on their team last season (62pts was their highest).

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Before we got Richards, it was "all we need is Richards to bring Gaborik back to form and we're set." Now it's "all we need is an elite winger to play with Richards and Gaborik and we're set." Next it's going to be "all we need is a time machine to draft Lidstrom, bring his younger self forward in time to play with Staal on our 1st d-pair and we're set."

The Bruins didn't have a single 70-point player on their team last season (62pts was their highest).
I've said it all along that we needed a #1 center and a top line LW before I feel like we're ready to compete.

Getting Richards was great and what I wanted, but I think most of us knew that Richards wasn't the final piece to propel us to a championship caliber team. Couple Richards with a top line LW'er and the development of our young players and now you're talking.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I think people see the window being approximately 3-4 years because around that time guys like Animov, Stepan, McDonagh, Sauer, etc. will all be starting to get more substantial raises, and contracts like Staal, Girardi, Gaborik, Dubinsky, and Callahan are going to start expiring. It's going to be tough to stay at our current level with all of the money we'd need to pay to keep those folks around.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
While things like a PPQB and a scoring LW are needed, we also need the little things.

-Someone who will cause havoc in the crease
-Our D-Man (not named Sauer) should actually defend Lundqvist when he holds the puck or guys are whacking at his pads.

I've never felt more confident for this team but I don't think winning a cup is realistic just yet.
Brad Richards is one of the top PPQBs in the league. If anything, we now need a shooter to pair him with.

Most importantly, we need to realize that no team is perfect. Every team, even the eventual Stanley Cup Champion, will have had holes. The goal should be to make those holes as small as possible, not eliminating all of them, because the latter is essentially a pipedream.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
NYR Viper

I think a top-line LW is being blown out of proportion. What they need is chemistry and another top-6 LW. Dubinsky is one. Find another and they are all set. Kreider may be that guy in a year.

On RW, they need a 3rd line RW. Thomas may be that player in a couple of years.

Old
ck20

Quote:
I've said it all along that we needed a #1 center and a top line LW before I feel like we're ready to compete.

Getting Richards was great and what I wanted, but I think most of us knew that Richards wasn't the final piece to propel us to a championship caliber team. Couple Richards with a top line LW'er and the development of our young players and now you're talking.
Again, the Bruins didn't have elite status players making up their top line so why do we absolutely NEED an elite winger before we're even allowed a mention? Game's not played on paper.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
truebluegoalie

I am excited for this season, but I think next season is a key season. After this year we lose Christensen, Avery, and Wolski. That is lots of dead weight, which either allows the team to sign a another solid scorer or worst case scenario makes room for one of the young guys.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Wait, where is the "It's ESPN" post?

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I am excited for this season, but I think next season is a key season. After this year we lose Christensen, Avery, and Wolski. That is lots of dead weight, which either allows the team to sign a another solid scorer or worst case scenario makes room for one of the young guys.
Whoever replaces EC and Avery as a 13th forward and bottom 6 forward respectively will be making at most a million less than the combined cap hits of EC and Avery. Not much savings there.

The real savings comes from Wolski and the reduction in Drury's buyout number.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Again, the Bruins didn't have elite status players making up their top line so why do we absolutely NEED an elite winger before we're even allowed a mention? Game's not played on paper.
First of all you are using one example of a team that didn't have an "elite" top line that had won a Stanley Cup.

Secondly, I never mentioned we needed an elite top line LW'er. I said we need another top line LW'er capable of putting up 60ish points so we can keep Dubinsky on the 2nd line and increase our depth.

It's all about having depth. We want to keep our 2nd line together, we have a solid 4th line, and we will have a very good 3rd line. We need to increase our depth, and when I look at the team that top line isn't complete. Get us another 60 point LW'er and we are set to go.

Old
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Levitate

Big thing will be that their defense needs to keep improving...can't have guys like Sauer and McDonagh flounder and regress, they have to keep getting better.

3 year window sounds about right if the defense holds

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
NYR Viper

I think it will work like this:

compete for 3 years......take a step back, compete again for 3 years in 5 years when Kreider, Thomas, Miller, McIlrath are all around.

I would NOT be shocked to see the Rangers be serious buyers at the next (3) deadlines.