HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Dana White gives the boot to Fedor

Old
08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
MR50goalscorer
Grabo nets 50 !

vCash: 500
Dana White gives the boot to Fedor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24686/whit...h-showtime.mma

First it was Allistar Overeem
than Einemo, Val. Overeem and Marloes Coenen

and now... Fedor Emelianenko

rumored to be cut: Barnett, Kharintonov

MR50goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Dana obviously has his personal issues with these guys but it was the right decision for business. He has lost three straight fights, he makes 1.5M per fight, and they make Strikeforce co-promote with M-1. Only reason people will have an issue with this is because it's Fedor.

Dana White is an ***hole but Fedor is the idiot who let the M-1 Global guys **** up his career.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Strikeforce pays pretty much every name fighter they have well over market value, for them to fight in buildings that are often half-full or worse. Why should Zuffa continue to support SF's awful business habits?

SF: Fedor vs. Henderson drew 8,311 fans
SF: Overeem vs. Werdum drew 7,639 fans
SF: Diaz vs. Daley drew 9,059 fans
SF: Feijao vs. Henderson drew 7,123 fans
SF: Fedor vs. Silva drew 11,287 fans

Again, why should they support Strikeforce's awful business habits?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:04 PM
m9

Although I would still love to see Fedor fight in the UFC, the fact is that he's looked absolutely dreadful since he came to Strikeforce. He didn't look good vs Rogers, a guy who is barely relevant. He fell into Werdum's flopping act and got subbed in the 1st, got absolutely steam-rolled by Silva and took a brutal beating, and then got KO'd in the 1st round by a guy who is at least one weight-class lower than him.

This isn't the case of a guy narrowly losing a couple decisons - he has been convincingly finished by three different methods.

I'm still interested in Overeem/Fedor, though. Don't really care where it gets shown, I want to see it.

As for the Strikeforce thing, it was expected so nothing really to see here. Others in the thread have already gone over it, and this things happens all the time in business. I'm especially unconcerned because of the Superchannel/Strikeforce connection up here in Canada. Between Spike, PPV, Sportsnet, or HDnet I can see virtually every other organization easily, but Superchannel is of no interest to me.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:49 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Barnett and Kharitonov are rumoured to be gone too? That's really unfortunate if it proves to be true.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
End of Line
Human After All

That sucks to hear about Fedor but he makes 1.5million per fight....

Barnett to be cut!?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:58 PM
bostone737

way to go Dana, that's like 2 of your biggest names gone with in a week or so

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:18 PM
rushockey

Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
Dana White is turning MMA into worse sport than it was even 5 years ago. It's clear to me that having a second powerful MMA organization is must. UFC's latest events have been overshadowed by Strikeforce events and now Strikeforce is almost done. Fedor may be in decline but he always performed for the viewers and all his fights have been beyond entartaining, can you say the same about majority of UFC fighters who are more defense oriented than ever before because they are scared to death to lose.

rushockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushockey View Post
Dana White is turning MMA into worse sport than it was even 5 years ago. It's clear to me that having a second powerful MMA organization is must. UFC's latest events have been overshadowed by Strikeforce events and now Strikeforce is almost done. Fedor may be in decline but he always performed for the viewers and all his fights have been beyond entartaining, can you say the same about majority of UFC fighters who are more defense oriented than ever before because they are scared to death to lose.
The last UFC PPV was great, the last TV card had an amazing finish, the card right now has had good fights, and there have been countless shows with both really good and bad fights. Strikeforce's fights are generally entertaining (except for large portions of their last show), they are also generally gross mismatches. Guys like Matt Lindland and Scott Smith have no place fighting top fighters.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

So Dana says he made Fedor/M-1 a "crazy" offer that they turned down. Fedor was going to come to the UFC and fight Brock right away. I think he was talking about when Brock was still the HW champ.

Interview is right here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/0...dor-turned-do/

Fedor talk is near the end of the interview.

Old
08-07-2011, 07:12 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Fedor may be entertaining, but he sealed his own fate when he decided not to sign with the UFC. Because of that, casual fans just don't know who Fedor is. Combine his insane price tag and a 3 fight losing streak and it really was a no brainer to let him go. If he had signed with the UFC years ago and built up a fan following he probably wouldn't be in this boat.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
So Dana says he made Fedor/M-1 a "crazy" offer that they turned down. Fedor was going to come to the UFC and fight Brock right away. I think he was talking about when Brock was still the HW champ.
Yea I think it was right around mid 2009 after Fedor's fight with Andrei Arlovski and the collapse of Affliction and Lesnar's fight with Mir at UFC 100.

Apparently the contract could've been for as many as 6 fights and a total of $30M when factoring in PPV revenue. Considering Lesnar reportedly made $5.3M for his two fights against Carwin and Velasquez in 2010, it's not out of the question that Dana could've offered Fedor that type of contract. There was also a rumour that they were willing to offer him a one fight, title shot against Lesnar, but he also turned that down.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

I think Dana probably really enjoyed doing this. It's a nice little ego boost.

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguination View Post
I think Dana probably really enjoyed doing this. It's a nice little ego boost.
Yeah, for sure. You can tell he enjoys it all a bit too much, but you can also tell he spent a ton of time and energy on Fedor so its hard to totally blame him.

Old
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
rushockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Fedor may be entertaining, but he sealed his own fate when he decided not to sign with the UFC. Because of that, casual fans just don't know who Fedor is. Combine his insane price tag and a 3 fight losing streak and it really was a no brainer to let him go. If he had signed with the UFC years ago and built up a fan following he probably wouldn't be in this boat.
Well, obviously Fedor doesn't care about UFC as much as you and some others do. He definitely has his own agenda. He decided to be part of M-1 and obviously he is sticking with his decision. Some people really think they know better than Fedor himself. The way I see it is that Fedor being part of M-1 is trying to promote MMA in Russia. Most probably don't know but MMA culture is almost non-existent in Russia. There are couple of places in Russia where they train MMA but that is about it. M-1 is doing a good job trying to popularize the sport in Russia. As of now Russian kids choose boxing, wrestling but MMA is mainly unknown to them. M-1 at least is trying to change that and it only became possible because Fedor is part of that organization.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
m9

Quote:
Well, obviously Fedor doesn't care about UFC as much as you and some others do. He definitely has his own agenda. He decided to be part of M-1 and obviously he is sticking with his decision. Some people really think they know better than Fedor himself. The way I see it is that Fedor being part of M-1 is trying to promote MMA in Russia. Most probably don't know but MMA culture is almost non-existent in Russia. There are couple of places in Russia where they train MMA but that is about it. M-1 is doing a good job trying to popularize the sport in Russia. As of now Russian kids choose boxing, wrestling but MMA is mainly unknown to them. M-1 at least is trying to change that and it only became possible because Fedor is part of that organization.
It's not like he was fighting in Russia instead of the UFC, though. Would it not grow the sport in Russia more to have him on top of the biggest promotion in the world, as opposed to Affliction/Strikeforce? I would have to think that would've been pretty cool for kids there and grown his profile even more. Or does the M1 thing mean more than that in Russia?

Old
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

M-1 is a joke and they are only in it for themselves. The worst thing Fedor did in his entire career was joining those guys.

They released a statement today saying that Fedor won't retire and he'll fight on some M-1 shows in Russia. Like I said, only in it for themselves. They don't care about his legacy or his health, they only care about making money and they're going to keep using Fedor as long as they can.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
rushockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
It's not like he was fighting in Russia instead of the UFC, though. Would it not grow the sport in Russia more to have him on top of the biggest promotion in the world, as opposed to Affliction/Strikeforce? I would have to think that would've been pretty cool for kids there and grown his profile even more. Or does the M1 thing mean more than that in Russia?
I have never seen live UFC events on any Russian channels. Fedor events are shown constantly because of M-1 copromotion I think. M-1 also organizes a lot of tournaments with Russian fighters in it.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:16 PM
rushockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
M-1 is a joke and they are only in it for themselves. The worst thing Fedor did in his entire career was joining those guys.

They released a statement today saying that Fedor won't retire and he'll fight on some M-1 shows in Russia. Like I said, only in it for themselves. They don't care about his legacy or his health, they only care about making money and they're going to keep using Fedor as long as they can.

Fedor himself doesn't care about his own legacy. Plus he would hate to work for a liar like Dana White.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Honestly, I could care less if he continues to fight outside of the UFC. I just wish he would listen to his brother and improve on his coaching and training.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I'd like to see Fedor vs. James Toney in modified rules, like that one Aoki match. Round 1 is standing only, Round 2 is unified MMA rules.

That'd be a funny one to see.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I think the negotiations before the fight would be more entertaining than the fight itself.

Which side would give in? If the first round is standing only, Fedor is getting knocked out in the first. If the first round is MMA rules, Toney is most likely tapping in the first.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Go Habs Go

Why do people keep saying that Fedor screwed up or M1 messed him up... The amount of money that Fedor made by refusing to join the UFC is huge. Even if the UFC retained him, he'd have to fight for like another 10 years to accumulate that kind of money. Fedor made the right choice for Fedor. I would've loved to see Fedor in the UFC but in the end, he made the right choice for himself and secured himself financially for the rest of his life. For some people, being known as the best is important but for some its not. I can certainly understand that. You'd only be known as the best today anyways. In 20 years, people will be coming up with reasons as to why you were never the greatest and how the current fighter at the time is the greatest of all time. Same mentality in hockey.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
m9

^All indications are that Fedor would've got a great deal financially from the UFC, so I disagree with that part. It wouldn't have taken him 10 years to get that kind of money.

As for everything else, I agree.. To each their own, everyone's wired differently.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Why do people keep saying that Fedor screwed up or M1 messed him up... The amount of money that Fedor made by refusing to join the UFC is huge. Even if the UFC retained him, he'd have to fight for like another 10 years to accumulate that kind of money. Fedor made the right choice for Fedor. I would've loved to see Fedor in the UFC but in the end, he made the right choice for himself and secured himself financially for the rest of his life. For some people, being known as the best is important but for some its not. I can certainly understand that. You'd only be known as the best today anyways. In 20 years, people will be coming up with reasons as to why you were never the greatest and how the current fighter at the time is the greatest of all time. Same mentality in hockey.
You're nuts if you think Fedor would have made less money in the UFC.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote