HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Ownership Thread: Off life-support for now; still in the ICU

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 02:30 AM
RR

vCash: 500
Coyotes Ownership Thread: Off life-support for now; still in the ICU

picking up from here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=33371562#post33371562

Old
06-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Pressing the button for the nurse, said she'll be here in two weeks.

Old
06-02-2011, 07:47 AM
DesertDawg

AAUUUUGG
NOT ANOTHER THREAD
and they already pulled the plug
where's my medication
help me Matt, help me

Old
06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
I can only wonder if the NHL and company are going to try and make the sale of the Coyotes as secret as possible with GWI lurking?

Old
06-02-2011, 09:20 AM
BuffaloAZ

I have no sources, nor have I read anything to support this…just my gut feeling.

NHL, COG, and …? will be working effortlessly over the next 3 weeks to try to get something done by the BOG meetings. That way they can approve the Thrashers and Coyotes sale. I doubt we hear much of anything over the course of the next 3 weeks.

That being said, if nothing gets done by then…I think we are toast!

Old
06-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Interesting article on how TNSE almost purchased and relocated the Coyotes to Winnipeg, twice.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

Old
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Hopefully the old adage of "no news is good news" applies here but for some reason I don't think so.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
Interesting article on how TNSE almost purchased and relocated the Coyotes to Winnipeg, twice.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey
I got from the article that they were a backup plan and leverage on the City of Glendale.

I keep remembering the original lease agreement and the relocation fee. The reason why Moyes declared bankruptcy, which was a clause in the contract signed with the City of Glendale that stated they could break the lease, and tried to sell it off as a profit. Then to circumvent the NHL and relocate the franchise. I wonder if the City would then have a case to try to collect on the (original) relocation fee, if indeed true north had taking ownership.

Sports need to stay out of the court rooms!

They are still trying to build up Westgate, so that is a good sign...

Old
06-02-2011, 01:58 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
They are still trying to build up Westgate, so that is a good sign...
There's another big outlet mall going in where the dirt field is between Westgate and the 101. I would have preferred they continue the Westgate theme and style, but something is better than nothing. Keep in mind that the original plan was only about 10-15% utilized.

Old
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Magnifique

Does anyone else feel like this will never end?

Old
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Have GWI gone so quiet just as TNSE switched attention to Atlanta?

I'm thinking that's not coincidence.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Have GWI gone so quiet just as TNSE switched attention to Atlanta?

I'm thinking that's not coincidence.
I think it has to do with stagnation

ain't not'en' to say 'bout not'en'

Old
06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I think it has to do with stagnation

ain't not'en' to say 'bout not'en'
I think that it has to do with funding (or the sudden lack thereof.)

Old
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

I just hope that Hulsizer and the BOG are working hard at a deal. This can't go on forever. TNSE bought them half a year at the most.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

That same half a year is more than enough time kill this team. Bryz is a must to keep and this must be completed before July 1st. Just complete the ****ing sale now!!!!

Old
06-03-2011, 12:03 AM
ScottsdaleYote

These aren't stupid people - they know what will happen if ownership is in limbo for another year and it's not good for anyone. I firmly believe that Reinsdorf was a smoke screen to buy time, sell the Thrashers to the Peggers, collect the relo fee, and reduce the price for Hulsizer to something that does not require such a weird deal like before. I think it will sell for $110m and GWI will go back to suing school districts for kicks and Darcy Olsen will go back to taking Fridays off to get her hair and nails done.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
bleed_oil

Phoenix fans: is there a sense that now that Winnipeg is out of the picture, Glendale will be able to get a more fair deal from a perspective owner?
i.e. one would think the NHL's leverage over Glendale in any negotiations should now be non-existent.

Old
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Phoenix fans: is there a sense that now that Winnipeg is out of the picture, Glendale will be able to get a more fair deal from a perspective owner?
i.e. one would think the NHL's leverage over Glendale in any negotiations should now be non-existent.
Other than buying more time, I don't think the Thrashers relocation has any effect on the Coyotes situation. Others here mentioned that the $ 60 M reloc fee could be used to bring the price down. IF that's true, and the franchise price is now $110 M instead of $ 170 M, making it much closer to its actual value (which is probably around $ 80 M to $ 90 M at this point), I'd say a deal could potentially be struck.

But personally, I'm no holding my breath. Over the past couple of years, any rumor involving a price cut or owners upping their offer was quickly shot down. Everything's always been focused on getting the city (and taxpayers) to spend a boatload of money. So until I see the NHL bring the price down and strike a deal vs getting $ 25 M yearly checks, I'll remain skeptical.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Other than buying more time, I don't think the Thrashers relocation has any effect on the Coyotes situation. Others here mentioned that the $ 60 M reloc fee could be used to bring the price down. IF that's true, and the franchise price is now $110 M instead of $ 170 M, making it much closer to its actual value (which is probably around $ 80 M to $ 90 M at this point), I'd say a deal could potentially be struck.

But personally, I'm no holding my breath. Over the past couple of years, any rumor involving a price cut or owners upping their offer was quickly shot down. Everything's always been focused on getting the city (and taxpayers) to spend a boatload of money. So until I see the NHL bring the price down and strike a deal vs getting $ 25 M yearly checks, I'll remain skeptical.
I'm skeptical about the relocation fee subsiding purchase price hypothesis. As we've seen in Atlanta the NHL is quick to throw a market under the bus if things aren't working out and it would be quite naive to believe they would take a radical hair cut on the purchase price of the Yotes.
That said how can you believe that the Winnipeg situation wont impact Glendale? Let me put it this way, why else did the NHL force Winnipeg and Atlanta to hold off on completing there deal (or hold off on negotiations) until COG committed the $25 M for this year? Say Winnipeg was not in the picture and you had no other perspective owners, what's stopping COG from walking away from any subsidies and forcing the owner (the NHL) from taking all losses. I dont know of any market in North America that could accept a hockey team easily in the near future. Souther Ontario is out of the question due to the regional boundary issue, Quebec has no rink and Kansas City has no perspective owners.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Say Winnipeg was not in the picture and you had no other perspective owners, what's stopping COG from walking away from any subsidies and forcing the owner (the NHL) from taking all losses?
The NHL would move the team at that point to literally anywhere somewhat interested and at a great price. Failing that, they'd just contract the team. You don't play hardball like that with a league. Don't forget that Winnipeg refused to support the Jets and thus we got the Coyotes.

The NHL basically just whisked away Atlanta in the middle of the night without any real fuss and some are suggesting the COG somehow has more leverage now?

Coyotes will be in QC or KC after next year if they don't find an owner. The whole 'they don't have a building' thing is a subtle cue for QC to build an NHL appropriate facility. You know... one that has more than 15,000 seats.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Exactly.

Old
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The NHL would move the team at that point to literally anywhere somewhat interested and at a great price. Failing that, they'd just contract the team. You don't play hardball like that with a league. Don't forget that Winnipeg refused to support the Jets and thus we got the Coyotes.

The NHL basically just whisked away Atlanta in the middle of the night without any real fuss and some are suggesting the COG somehow has more leverage now?

Coyotes will be in QC or KC after next year if they don't find an owner. The whole 'they don't have a building' thing is a subtle cue for QC to build an NHL appropriate facility. You know... one that has more than 15,000 seats.
I have seen no evidence that the COG has ever played hardball with the league. "you don't tug on Superman's cape." The COG looks to be inept from this distant vantage, but not obstructionist, and certainly not with the NHL.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
These aren't stupid people - they know what will happen if ownership is in limbo for another year and it's not good for anyone. I firmly believe that Reinsdorf was a smoke screen to buy time, sell the Thrashers to the Peggers, collect the relo fee, and reduce the price for Hulsizer to something that does not require such a weird deal like before. I think it will sell for $110m and GWI will go back to suing school districts for kicks and Darcy Olsen will go back to taking Fridays off to get her hair and nails done.
The NHL is a business and is all about making money by all means even if what the league does to make money is unethical and doesnt take accountability for their own actions when it comes to owning a team. Its not right that the NHL doesnt appercite Glendale for building the Coyotes a new arena when no other city in the Valley would by demanding so much from the city even though the city is being watched by GWI to see to it the city doesnt violate the gift clause. Its not the City's fault for how this team has been managed by anyone and yet they are the ones with a gun to its head. The NHL will have no problem getting its money back plus a profit in a relocation fee even if they have to move the team to Quebec City which seems to be the more likely destionation at this point.

If the NHL had a clue and a heart, the league would understand they are just as responsible for this mess when they took the keys from Jerry Moyes and should use that $60 million relocation fee to reduce the asking price even if it means the league just breaks even in this whole deal. But the NHL doesnt care and they dont want to hear how limited others are in trying to keep this team here or even if the Citizens of Glendale get shafted $500 million plus in losses.

I will say this though, if the NHL doesnt keep the team in Arizona, I will never watch another NHL game again and then I will hope Donald Fehr will bankrupt the league in favor of the players. I will also hope to that all Major League Sports team lose all creditibility then getting public funding for a new arena/stadium for any team in any sport.

Old
06-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

Can anyone down there update the ownership situation since the CoG pledge the $25million?

What is the status of the revamped Hulsizer bid?

Old
06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Can anyone down there update the ownership situation since the CoG pledge the $25million?

What is the status of the revamped Hulsizer bid?
No and who knows.
I'd expect a bit of news after the cup is handed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I have seen no evidence that the COG has ever played hardball with the league. "you don't tug on Superman's cape." The COG looks to be inept from this distant vantage, but not obstructionist, and certainly not with the NHL.
You could say Glendale insistence on Reinsdorf being part of the process is playing a bit of hardball. We've had two other main interested parties, one of which had a legit proposal. Is Glendale causing problems behind the scenes with MH by trotting out the JR idea every now and then? I don't know but it's possible the NHL isn't liking it. I would think the NHL would want Glendale to be 100% behind the current prospective group and not even address JR unless he actually gets in it.

Closed Thread