HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New York Rangers sign Michael Nylander

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

vCash: 500
New York Rangers sign Michael Nylander

3 year deal worth $8.9 million, with a $3 million option for a fourth year (don't know whether it's player or team)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1856327

Last edited by Tap on the Ankle: 08-10-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I expected that to say $8.9 Million/year.

Not a bad deal. We'll see if the vortex takes Nylander's skill away as well.

Old
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

wow... strange deal for a team that is supposedly looking to a rebuilding process?

I thought that the rangers weren't going to add any free agents this year... and while it's not a Holik type deal, $3mill/yr seems pretty high for a rebuilding team signing

Old
08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

One more gone from the Bruins... I'm happy to be a Habs fan... If I was a Bruins fan, I'd be will all these departures...

Old
08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
wow... strange deal for a team that is supposedly looking to a rebuilding process?

I thought that the rangers weren't going to add any free agents this year... and while it's not a Holik type deal, $3mill/yr seems pretty high for a rebuilding team signing
If you consider how few veteran forwards the Rangers have right now the move makes more sense. If Nylander and Lundmark center the two top lines it looks like Holik will finally be usd to center the third line, unless Lundmark moves to left wing. Plus, most of the Rangers prospects who are ready to play in the NHL are 3rd/4th line players with the exception of Balej.

Old
08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Even with Nylander (and maybe one more vet), the Ranger still look to be playing at least 6-7 kids up front...And they don not have many more then that ready..So they are rebuilding as fast as they can---unless three more UFAs are signed.....A player like Nylander, who can dish off to Jagr and play 1st/2nd line C (1st in NY unfortunately)was desperately needed at C..The only thing that bugs me about the deal is Nylander's injuries.......A good signing in my book...

Old
08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

"Rebuilding" doesn't mean a roster full of inexperienced kids. You have to support inexperience with stable veterans, otherwise you have a disaster. Which is what some here, who drool for lottery picks, may covet, but GMs are paid to assemble winning teams, no?

Nylander is a nice "stopgap" acquisition, one who NYR could likely move on to a contender come March, should they - and he - be going nowhere.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-11-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 01:05 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
"Rebuilding" does mean a roster full of inexperienced kids. You have to support inexperience with stable veterans, otherwise you have a disaster. Which is what some here, who drool for lottery picks, may covet, but GMs are paid to assemble winning teams, no?

Nylander is a nice "stopgap" acquisition, one who NYR could likely move on to a contender come March, should they - and he - be going nowhere.
I agree... the signing doesn't really surprise me...

I've just been hearing how the Rangers will run with a low payroll for now, and not be active in the UFA market.

personally, I don't think they are done... I can't picture a Rangers team with 6-7 rookies, as suggested, in the lineup.... wouldn't surprise me if we see another signing (like Rucinksy) soon... then after the CBA gets hammered out, and the big name UFAs start signing - guys like Palffy, Demitra, Murray, etc - that the Rangers sign one of these guys.

To me it doesn't make sense to go with a young rebuilding lineup in a city like New York... I still remain skeptical with them going into a true rebuilding phase at all... I don't think that any GM, especially with Sather's track record in NY, lasting long in that market unless the Rangers get into the playoffs soon... 6 yrs is an awful long time for the league's biggest market to be out of the playoffs.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Jacob

This signing was clearly Jagr's decision more than anything.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Makes sense, considering the only centers the Rangers have under contract for next season are Ortmeyer and Holik. You can't just lose Messier, Lindros and Nedved and expect kids to fill all those roster spots.

I do question the length of the deal, though. Also, Nylander would be a much more effective player if he'd actually grow a sack. He has to be the softest player in the league...supremely gifted, though.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:11 PM
shadoz19

Good move at a good price.

Did they fire Sather too?

Old
08-10-2004, 01:15 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Another blow to the Ruins.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I agree... the signing doesn't really surprise me...

I've just been hearing how the Rangers will run with a low payroll for now, and not be active in the UFA market.

Everything is relative. "Low" for NYR is ridiculously high for 99% of NHL teams and their fans.

To me it doesn't make sense to go with a young rebuilding lineup in a city like New York...

Interesting and popular opinion, but I respectfully disagree with that assumption. In fact, I think that such a philosophy has been at the very heart of NYR's failures over the last 7+ years. A philosophy that was frequently expressed publicly by Neil Smith: NY does not have the patience for a rebuilding team. That "hurry-up" mentality, IMO, has contributed to many a lousy personnel decision by NYR in the ensuing time. And if you read the NYR board, seems like that sampling of fans are generally favorable to the new approach by Sather. (I personally expected him to rebuild the team when he arrived a few years back. One suspects it was pressure from Dolan and the wealth of re$ources that he had at his disposal that caused him to go from a skin-flint in Edmonton to an irresponsible big spender in Manhattan.)

Of course, we'll see how long that fan "patience" last. Perhaps until the first pre-season loss.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-10-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old
08-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I thought that said 8.9 million a season not over 3 seasons not a bad move by the Rangers.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Here the come the Rangers are ruining hockey posts.Fact is the Rangers have Jaromir Jagr under contract for four more years.They can not repeat the same mistakes they made when they had Wayne Gretzky and never put a quality winger on his line.They do not have a single player on their roster or in their system capable of playing with Jagr.They have two forwards making major money-Jagr and Bobby Holik-and a bunch guys making less than the league average salary.Currently they don't even have enough forwards to field a team.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:21 PM
habsfan19

not a bad move for the Rangers I think
they need a veteran or two to lead the kids, because Jagr is not the best to be doing that
and being a Habs fan, seeing the Bruins lose everybody is pretty good..hehe
Thornton can't be impressed seeing his team fade away

Old
08-10-2004, 01:26 PM
BruinsGirl

I am pissed... Not because Nylander is an exceptional player but he did have a great chemistry with Samsonov. I hope MOC knows what he is doing.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:32 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I am pissed... Not because Nylander is an exceptional player but he did have a great chemistry with Samsonov. I hope MOC knows what he is doing.
Didn't he make like $2.6m last year? This wouldn't have been a bad contract for Boston.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Interesting and popular opinion, but I respectfully disagree with that assumption. In fact, I think that such a philosophy has been at the very heart of NYR's failures over the last 7+ years. A philosophy that was frequently expressed publicly by Neil Smith: NY does not have the patience for a rebuilding team. That "hurry-up" mentality, IMO, has contributed to many a lousy personnel decision by NYR in the ensuing time. And if you read the NYR board, seems like that sampling of fans are generally to the new approach by Sather. (I personally expected him to rebuild the team when he arrived a few years back. One suspects it was pressure from Dolan and the wealth of re$ources that he had at his disposal that caused him to go from a skin-flint in Edmonton to an irresponsible big spender in Manhattan.)

Of course, we'll see how long that fan "patience" last. Perhaps until the first pre-season loss.
time will only tell I guess...

I understand where the Ranger fans are coming from... I agree with them too on this, that you can't build a team properly without going through those rebuilding phases properly.

but I think that the market will dictate the direction more than common sense will here... it's not Sather, and it wasn't Smith, who makes the decision on the team's directions... IMO they simply make the decisions that need to be made to follow the direction set by ownership.

and ownership in most hockey cities, aren't hockey fans first, they are businessmen.

what NY has is a huge market... lots of $$ in tv revenues, merchandise sales and everything else that comes with having a market of 20mill people.

if we're talking about a team that makes the playoffs, but fails to go to the finals, then a rebuilding makes more sense... but in a market that size, with that much money in it, how much longer do they go without making the playoffs.

a proper rebuild would mean another 1-2 years without making the playoffs, letting their young players get primetime to develop, and getting top picks... then maybe another 2-3 years of getting that playoff experience in early rounds, before the core of their team - not Jagr or Holik - but the core made up of their young future assets, like Lundmark, Balej, Montoya/Blackburn, Tjutin, Jessiman, etc... - takes over and this core leads them to a Cup.

In 4 yrs Jagr's contract is over... a team now just starting to rebuild, realistically, isn't going to rely on a guy that age in 4 yrs to be their best player to lead them to a Cup.

But this is NY... I think what IMO is more realistic, given market demands, is that their young future core - the guys mentioned above - will play supporting roles for them when they expect to be challenging for a Cup - my guess is that ownership wants them there in 2-3 yrs tops.

That's why I think they will add more UFAs... probably be one of the first teams to add a UFA next offseason when the current CBA is forgotten, and fiscal responsibility that ownership as a whole is preaching goes out the window for teams like NY that don't have to - and shouldn't have to - worry about the little guys.

This in the end is still big business... and I can't see the league even wanting to, let alone the ownership of that franchise - to have that team rebuild... rather I think that Dolan, along with the blessing of the league, is hoping to be a top team as soon as financially possible for them... the CBA sitaution currently has slowed that down... because we don't know what is financially possible any more in a new CBA.

of course only time will tell... personally this is how I see it... not that I agree with it at all... I'm old school in my hockey thinking... a great team needs to be built through patience and time, not through dollars and cents... but I'm thinking that Dolan doesn't think that, no matter what he publically says - which we all know doesn't mean jack.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Jackson Ranger

Obviously in order to stay competitive, the Rangers had to sign a #1 center to go along with Jagr. I can also see another round of Rucinsky for the Rangers. However, that is where I would draw the line as a Ranger fan. If this rebuild is true, there would be no other FA signings after a #1 LW is signed.

And for those of you who say how can you rebuild with this signing (or even one more) the Ranger forwards last year consisted of Messier, Simon, Barnaby, Lindros, Kovalev, Nedved, Carter and Rucinsky along with Jagr, Holik and Ortmeyer.

They are being replaced with the likes of Lundmark, Balej, Murray, Betts, Wiseman, Scott, and you can insert any AHL/youth player in. If you don't think they are rebuilding, please give me your definition.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Obviously in order to stay competitive, the Rangers had to sign a #1 center to go along with Jagr. I can also see another round of Rucinsky for the Rangers. However, that is where I would draw the line as a Ranger fan. If this rebuild is true, there would be no other FA signings after a #1 LW is signed.

And for those of you who say how can you rebuild with this signing (or even one more) the Ranger forwards last year consisted of Messier, Simon, Barnaby, Lindros, Kovalev, Nedved, Carter and Rucinsky along with Jagr, Holik and Ortmeyer.

They are being replaced with the likes of Lundmark, Balej, Murray, Betts, Wiseman, Scott, and you can insert any AHL/youth player in. If you don't think they are rebuilding, please give me your definition.
if all those guys are going to be in the lineup next season, and no more than 1 mid-level UFA is signed (like Rucinsky), then I agree they are going into a rebuild.

but with the season still months away, and who knows how long with the CBA situation, I don't think that the Rangers are done yet.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they sign one more UFA like Rucinsky in the next several weeks... then wait until the new CBA, and if the season starts in January, after a CBA is finalized in December, I can see them signing more guys at that point - especially one of the big UFAs that are also pretty much in limbo until a new deal is reached.

until then - when the season officially starts - we won't know if the Rangers are actually going to insert all those young players into the lineup, or whether it's all just talk right now.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
Didn't he make like $2.6m last year? This wouldn't have been a bad contract for Boston.
Our crappy GM wanted to give a two year offer, not three.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
if all those guys are going to be in the lineup next season, and no more than 1 mid-level UFA is signed (like Rucinsky), then I agree they are going into a rebuild.

but with the season still months away, and who knows how long with the CBA situation, I don't think that the Rangers are done yet.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they sign one more UFA like Rucinsky in the next several weeks... then wait until the new CBA, and if the season starts in January, after a CBA is finalized in December, I can see them signing more guys at that point - especially one of the big UFAs that are also pretty much in limbo until a new deal is reached.

until then - when the season officially starts - we won't know if the Rangers are actually going to insert all those young players into the lineup, or whether it's all just talk right now.
Agreed. As a Ranger fan, I know ANYTHING can happen but speaking for most Ranger fans, we are ready for a rebuild where younger players get the opportunity to play instead of over the hill vets.

Now, Sather could go out and sign Ziggy and Murray and trade for Pronger but I just don't get that impression. Not to say the Rangers won't try to "speed" up the process by adding to the mix but I don't see them doing things like they did in the past.

I know I realized that building a team is more important than buying a team.

Old
08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Well...as much as I liked M Nylander he is not #1 center. He is very good #2. I don't feel he can handle physical aspect of being #1.

Old
08-10-2004, 02:01 PM
DARKSIDE

Well, there goes the rebuilding project before it ever really started. Who's next? You just new all this talk about going with youth, was just that, talk. That's what happens when you have Dolan and Sather running the show. Some people never learn!

Closed Thread