HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2011, 06:55 PM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
i dont take it lightly either, but should a personal incident like this really cost him the last year on his contract? an incident that lets be honest, your opinion aside, in the criminal justice system isnt a big deal? we have seen some guys get away with murder... literally. dont see this as the incident where they make an example out of an athlete.
its not his first offense with issues off ice. He has been suspended by the league. He has been through mandatory anger management. He has not put his hands on an officer. Its BATTERY. Plain and simple.

Look I wasnt there. I am going by a STORY that is being told. But I grew tired of Sean's antics over a year ago. And he become less of a player day by day. He looks for the limelight but in negative ways. Now he has put his hands on a police officer. At what point do you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

As for other people getting away with Murder and the likes. I completely agree with you. Its really sad the world we live in. I wont root for Mike Danton. He went to Prison for Attempted Murder on his FATHER. Whether his father was a tool or a ****** is not up to me to decide. He was charged and found guilty of Attempted Murder. I wont root for anyone that either got away with murder or some heinous crime or anyone that served their time for heinous acts and came back to the league.

Thankfully the NHL has a good bunch of people. We have our issues here and there. Ya. But usually nothing too absurd (minus Mike Danton).

I dont root for anyone that can not keep his personal life in order and play the game we love. If you disrespect the game I am not a fan of yours.

But again I dont want to make this entire thread about ME.

Like I said. When you join your Local LEO, come back and talk to me. I GUARANTEE YOUR OPINION WILL CHANGE

Old
08-06-2011, 06:55 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Anyways, I dont want to make this about me or the local LEO's.

I feel very strongly that Avery went to far and I wont be rooting for him anymore. And its funny. this is the FIRST RANGER PLAYER NO MATTER HOW STUPID OR BAD THEY ARE THAT I DONT ROOT FOR. I always root for my rangers whether right or wrong. But I am tired of Averys antics.

If you still like him or he is your favorite player FOR his actions as of recently. All the more power to ya. Just dont look to me to be cheering with you.

Lets put this issue to rest.

LETS GO RANGERS.

Cant wait till the Pre-Season starts. I want to see Richards in a Rangers Jersey SOOO BAD!
That's the problem right there though. Always rooting for "your" Rangers whether right or wrong is like sticking up for every LEO just because he/she is an LEO. You should be more discerning in both cases. I'm sure there have been many Rangers that don't deserve accolades based on what they've done in their private lives and the same can be said for some police officers. Respect should be given for actions, not titles.

Old
08-06-2011, 07:01 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
its not his first offense with issues off ice. He has been suspended by the league. He has been through mandatory anger management. He has not put his hands on an officer. Its BATTERY. Plain and simple.

Look I wasnt there. I am going by a STORY that is being told. But I grew tired of Sean's antics over a year ago. And he become less of a player day by day. He looks for the limelight but in negative ways. Now he has put his hands on a police officer. At what point do you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?

As for other people getting away with Murder and the likes. I completely agree with you. Its really sad the world we live in. I wont root for Mike Danton. He went to Prison for Attempted Murder on his FATHER. Whether his father was a tool or a ****** is not up to me to decide. He was charged and found guilty of Attempted Murder. I wont root for anyone that either got away with murder or some heinous crime or anyone that served their time for heinous acts and came back to the league.

Thankfully the NHL has a good bunch of people. We have our issues here and there. Ya. But usually nothing too absurd (minus Mike Danton).

I dont root for anyone that can not keep his personal life in order and play the game we love. If you disrespect the game I am not a fan of yours.

Like I said. When you join your Local LEO, come back and talk to me. I GUARANTEE YOUR OPINION WILL CHANGE
like i said before, everything he does gets blown out of proportion. he did not deserve to be suspended and sent to rehab for his sloppy seconds comment, i firmly believe that. he was out longer than gillies who assaulted a guy. another example is when he was talking trash to tucker and blake and a reporter said avery made comments about blake having cancer, which was confirmed never happened. this is his first non hockey/ legal issue.

Old
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
cooke and gillies do ON ICE stuff.

Avery in another state assaulted a police officer. Whether he pushed him hard, less hard, whiffed, whatever. Assault on an Officer is well, assault on an officer.

I commend you for wanting to join the Force. I wish you well in your career path. Your train of thought will change when you have to be on the "other side" of the fence and see how disrespected you get every day and how many people feel they can "put their hands on you" without being charged with a crime.

Most will resist (depending on your sector and house) arrest and then cry about it when you tell them their additional charge of resisting is being filed.

Avery's off ice problems have been well documented. This for ME is the last straw. I supported him as much as I could. But for ME I dont take Police Reverse Brutality lightly. As I dont take Police Brutality lightly either. I feel they BOTH dont deserve to be in this world
you're acting like avery beat the living piss out of the officer when in reality he merely brushed him off to slam the door. I'd have respect for police officers if they did their jobs and tried to stop real crimes rather than loud music, and busting balls. Nowadays people are such *******, if you want your neighbor to lower the music, just tell them, no need to call the cops like a little *****.

Old
08-06-2011, 07:05 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
you're acting like avery beat the living piss out of the officer when in reality he merely brushed him off to slam the door. I'd have respect for police officers if they did their jobs and tried to stop real crimes rather than loud music, and busting balls. Nowadays people are such *******, if you want your neighbor to lower the music, just tell them, no need to call the cops like a little *****.
I agree with your loud music assumption that neighbors should just ask.

But this is my last comment on this. I have explained my side of the story and you can explain yours till your blue in your face. We will just have to agree to disagree respectfully.

Lets look forward to the season and winning us a CUP damnit!

Old
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
like i said before, everything he does gets blown out of proportion. he did not deserve to be suspended and sent to rehab for his sloppy seconds comment, i firmly believe that. he was out longer than gillies who assaulted a guy. another example is when he was talking trash to tucker and blake and a reporter said avery made comments about blake having cancer, which was confirmed never happened. this is his first non hockey/ legal issue.
Um, okay. So why exactly is it everything HE does gets blown out of proportion...? Why is Sean Avery this poor, persecuted individual unlike everyone else in the NHL?

Why after all the **** he's been in (even if only HALF of it is deserved!) do you still defend him?

Especially considering that based on his play last year, and really since 2007, he stands a good chance of sitting in the press box based on play alone?

Why the heck do people have such a need to root for him and choose to believe that as incident after incident occurs it's ALWAYS the other guy's fault?

Old
08-06-2011, 07:20 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Um, okay. So why exactly is it everything HE does gets blown out of proportion...? Why is Sean Avery this poor, persecuted individual unlike everyone else in the NHL?

Why after all the **** he's been in (even if only HALF of it is deserved!) do you still defend him?

Especially considering that based on his play last year, and really since 2007, he stands a good chance of sitting in the press box based on play alone?

Why the heck do people have such a need to root for him and choose to believe that as incident after incident occurs it's ALWAYS the other guy's fault?
because besides last year he always talked **** and backed it up. the league doesnt like him because he is outspoken and and they completly over reacted by sending him to rehab.

your points to me cant be more false. i never blame any incident regarding avery on anybody else. all im saying is that his punishments are unwarranted when compared to criminals in other leagues and repeat offending head hunters in the nhl.

i am not defending a guy accused of ****. i see your on the over reacting bandwagon.

Old
08-06-2011, 07:30 PM
chip chipperson*

if this was anybody else on the team everybody would share the same reaction i have. should this of happened? no. is it a big deal? no. some of these over reactions are sickening.

Old
08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

lol @ gotmonte, y u so mad bro...

Sean Avery = by far my favorite rangers player, he's got NHL skills and he's not a little girl in the face of media/petty bueareaucrats (aka a lot of cops). He also is probably smarter than 99% of these boards, lol u guys jealous broskies?

The incident isn't even a big deal the cops probably said something stupid to incite sean's reaction (lol @ 20G fine). Some of u guys are acting like cops deserve more respect than other humans??? Loolll anyways hope Sean makes the team and gets 15-25-40 to shut up the haters

Old
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
I dont root for anyone that can not keep his personal life in order and play the game we love.

where's the facepalm button? This guy plays in the NHL my man he's 1239421384times better than the people who post here at the game we idolize. That in itself deserves respect

Old
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Because lots of people prefer glitz to worth.

Old
08-06-2011, 10:31 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Eco- you don't even have to compare it with Heatly.

Eric Staal and Jordan Staal were arrested for a more serious issue during a party.

Eddie the Eagle fought a cop if I remember correctly.
As a matter of fact Belfour has been arrested on two separate occasions for resisting arrest.

A few others:

Chris Pronger was arrested along with several of his teammates after a barroom brawl in March of 1994. A month later he was arrested for a DUI. Soon afterwards Hartford traded him to St. Louis.

HOF'er Al MacInnis was arrested for assault in 1989.

Eric and Jordan were arrested for pretty much the same reason as Avery.

Kevin Stevens for purchasing crack cocaine.

John Kordic died while resisting an arrest. Mike Danton for trying to hire a hit man.

Incidents with Patrick Kane, Craig MacTavish, Chris Nilan post-career. There was a former NHL'er from the Czech Rep. a few years ago arrested for dealing drugs.

Being arrested is not a frequent occurence among NHL players but it has happened before.

Chris Chelios and Gary Suter vandalized--trashed several rooms at the Olympic Village in the Olympics one year. Nothing really happened to them but it was pretty piss poor behavior.

Anyone notice that several of the above mentioned were pretty good players.

Old
08-06-2011, 11:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As a matter of fact Belfour has been arrested on two separate occasions for resisting arrest.

A few others:

Chris Pronger was arrested along with several of his teammates after a barroom brawl in March of 1994. A month later he was arrested for a DUI. Soon afterwards Hartford traded him to St. Louis.

HOF'er Al MacInnis was arrested for assault in 1989.

Eric and Jordan were arrested for pretty much the same reason as Avery.

Kevin Stevens for purchasing crack cocaine.

John Kordic died while resisting an arrest. Mike Danton for trying to hire a hit man.

Incidents with Patrick Kane, Craig MacTavish, Chris Nilan post-career. There was a former NHL'er from the Czech Rep. a few years ago arrested for dealing drugs.

Being arrested is not a frequent occurence among NHL players but it has happened before.

Chris Chelios and Gary Suter vandalized--trashed several rooms at the Olympic Village in the Olympics one year. Nothing really happened to them but it was pretty piss poor behavior.

Anyone notice that several of the above mentioned were pretty good players.
Some of them excelled on ice. Where does Avery excel?

Old
08-07-2011, 12:52 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 350
Cops in California are D_Bags, I got pulled over in LA for "Failing to signal" and the way they reacted to a New York state driver's license you'd have thought I had an assault rifle on the front seat while driving about their smog ridden hellhole...

It's a misdemeanor for cryin' out loud, not a felony, tone the butthurt down a few notches.

Last edited by OrbitalDynamics: 08-07-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old
08-07-2011, 12:58 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
This is a bit of a contradiction.

A lot of times, the people flat out refuse to turn down the music or w/e - I've had to deal with people like that a LOT.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
08-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
This is a bit of a contradiction.

A lot of times, the people flat out refuse to turn down the music or w/e - I've had to deal with people like that a LOT.
This. A friend of my mom's has called the cops 3 times on neighbors across the street, and they were asked politely and then warned the police would be called all three times and didn't oblige.

Old
08-07-2011, 05:28 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brooks smacked around his buddy Sean

Quote:
Avery has spoken with both Garden CEO Jim Dolan and Rangers president/general manager Glen Sather. One supposes Avery has apologized privately to the two men who, truth be told, are the reason he has a job in New York, which is to say are the reason he has a job in the NHL.

And though Avery's first obligation here is to follow the advice of his counsel, public acknowledgement of regret is in order, so long as it is sincere. Avery is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty, and he has not been charged with a capital offense, that much is understood. Yet that doesn't mean this episode hasn't embarrassed the Rangers organization, because it has, and Avery must recognize that.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1UKyGnic5

Brooks doesn't feel this incident hurts Avery's standing with the team which wasn't strong to begin with.

Old
08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So are you arguing a penalty should be applied determined on level of playing ability?

And the truth is you've been after him for years but it's only been the last two-three years that his play has fell off. He was a very good player before that but you still couldn't stand him. Before it had nothing to do with Avery's level of play. More convenient for you now that he's not the player he once was and you can use that against him. And OTOH you did not want to recognize the fall off in Drury's play. You resisted that for all you were worth and wouldn't even acknowledge the damage caused to the team by Drury's underperformance in respect to his cap hit.

It just seems inconsistent to me. More like you're looking at these people more for their character (good-bad) than for their play on the ice relative to the % available of cap space a particular player gets as compensation.

There's no doubt in my mind that Avery's days as a Ranger appear numbered. There is noticeable decline in the last couple years--the coach has much more faith in other players--so it seems a real longshot that he's going to get back to where he was say 5 years ago. His cap hit for a 4th liner/spare is kind of high. That doesn't however mean he's not still an NHL worthy player and probably a better option than someone say like a Hagelin who still really hasn't got his feet wet as a pro.

In any case to me it should come down to this--a hockey decision--not a 'I fought the law but the law won' decision.

Old
08-07-2011, 09:40 AM
pld459666

I think NWA said it best.

**** tha police.

LOL.

Old
08-07-2011, 09:43 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Why on earth should that matter?

Old
08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
scrap2 Informal
n
a fight or argument
vb scraps, scrapping, scrapped
(intr) to quarrel or fight

This didn't qualify as a "quarrel or fight"? Really? What do YOU mean?
The strict definition is one thing but most people use scrap to indicate an actual punches thrown fight not just one single shove and some insults. When you use words that have one definition but are used normally a certain way it doesn't help you to use the strict definition. Avery pushed a cop and insulted them by calling them pigs. in other words he's the same as most of America (Always resent the people who can get you in trouble when you're the one doing the wrong thing). If he hadn't pushed one he wouldn't even be going to jail so again you're being a big baby over a little incident with a 4th liner who's never been in legal trouble before and been nothing but a positive player for this team. His play has declined but he's in his last year so odds are he finishes this year and that's it.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 08-07-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old
08-07-2011, 10:10 AM
SML

Quote:

Mike Danton wanted to have his agent killed, not his father. If you're going to be outraged, have the facts.

Old
08-07-2011, 10:39 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks smacked around his buddy Sean

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1UKyGnic5

Brooks doesn't feel this incident hurts Avery's standing with the team which wasn't strong to begin with.
Sometimes I wonder what goes through Larry's brain on a daily basis. If he was the GM I'd think the Rangers would look like the Panthers.

Old
08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
eco's bones

I think the problem I have with gotmonte and Chosen here--is their points of view are kind of ideological. Everything is black/white. People are good/bad. There is really no gray area involved with the broad range of human conduct. And when they condemn somebody it's like for all time. Could Mike Danton have rehabilitated himself?--even a little? You don't even have to like him but if he's done his time--give him a break for it--at least until. Some human behavior as well can be traced back to environmental conditions--for instance where someone was brought up or even what their family life was like. I'm not a sociologist--it just instinctively makes sense.

Avery use to be a hell of a player even if he could also at the same time be a ***** both on and off the ice. This isn't some major crime--best not to treat it like it was then. Police types feeling disrepected?--time to join the club then as there are tons of people in loads of occupations (or flung out of their jobs through no real fault of their own) feeling disrepected too--and the fact is there are lots of people these days who feel police dole out a brand of justice that is skewed much more towards the haves than to the have nots and I don't know if everyone has noticed but the ranks of the have nots are increasing. Hey I understand that some people invite less sympathy--and wealth and power can certainly change how people look at each other--but those who want authority to be respected need to balance their approach--be seen as willing to treat everyone the same and with respect too.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

Brooks says innocent until proven guilty and then a paragraph later says Avery should apologize. Which one is it?

I like Brooks sometimes other times he annoys the hell out of me. I think he's bipolar and that's why sometimes I like him & other times can't stand him

Closed Thread