HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
  #376
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,705
vCash: 500
The police overstated Avery's actions and used heavy handed police work to arrest him for something that doesn't even constitute a crime? I can't believe nobody saw that coming


haveandare is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 04:14 PM
  #377
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother
 
Hollywood Hulk Hogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
lol, its funny how stuff is perpetuated. I'm sure rumours were going around that he beat up a police officer
That would be the first fight he's won in a while

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
  #378
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
That would be the first fight he's won in a while
Te he he he he. Now insert a Gaborik joke and you're good for the day.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
  #379
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
But for whatever reason, if you explain to people that he got the lowest ice time of anyone on the team last year, and that with regular ice time those would be the expected numbers, they ignore your post and continuing talking about how he's not an NHL caliber player anymore.

Right. A 10 goal 30+ point guy who can slot in other places when needed and brings an edge to the ice is hardly NHL caliber and has no place on any of the 30 NHL rosters.

Explain that one to me again chosen and BrooklynRangersFan.
If you cant honestly say that hes a worse hockey player than when he first arrived in 2007 and deserves his lack of ice time, I dont know what to tell you - you're love for the guy just blinds an objective view of his play; and this is coming from a guy thats highly skeptical of Tortorella.

Hes like a deer in headlights on the defensive side of the puck, and it still astonishes me that a 10 year NHL veteran doesnt entirely know the offsides rule.

But the worst part is this "edge" you talk about shows up maybe once out of 8 or 10 games.

But hey, he'll do something wild and crazy about 8 times a year and keep that bizarre relationship with fans like you because of it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
  #380
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,958
vCash: 500
The police are not your friends or your protectors*. Avoid them, don't talk to them, don't ever call them. If you don't ever leave your house or computer screen and don't know this from experience*, please take my word for it. Best case scenario the cop you encounter is a human being with a gun, mace, and a club for beating people; as well as, faults, pride, jealousy, whims and desires, who makes mistakes and has a precedent for destroying or ending lives every single day and who is treated as infallible by our society.

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
  #381
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Meh, cops can claim anything as a battery against them. My guess: the cops came, Sean was being an ass, and they arrested him. Whether the arrest was justified remains to be seen, but lets also remember the LAPD doesn't have the greatest track record.
Hah! I was right.

Stugots is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:16 PM
  #382
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Depends who he's playing with. If they play him alongside Gaborik and Richards like they did with Dubinsky and Jagr, I could definitely see him putting up his usual numbers of around 40 points. As much as he doesn't deserve to play on the top line based on his play last year, I think he would thrive with Richards and Gaborik.
His usual 40 points? How many times has he done that?

chosen is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
  #383
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
His usual 40 points? How many times has he done that?
In the NHL never, in Jnr he did it 3 times though!!!!!!!!!!!

Something i did learn when looking up those stats though is that the most games Avery has ever played a full NHL season once, and that was the year he was traded from LA to the Rangers. his AVG games per year since starting in the NHl is 52.9.

mike14 is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
  #384
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
But for whatever reason, if you explain to people that he got the lowest ice time of anyone on the team last year, and that with regular ice time those would be the expected numbers, they ignore your post and continuing talking about how he's not an NHL caliber player anymore.

Right. A 10 goal 30+ point guy who can slot in other places when needed and brings an edge to the ice is hardly NHL caliber and has no place on any of the 30 NHL rosters.

Explain that one to me again chosen and BrooklynRangersFan.
As you wish. You always ignore the most important point. Players get the ice time that management thinks they deserve.

Either you think everyone Avery has played for is stupid or there is a conspiracy at work.

Is it possible that he never earns the ice time you think he deserves? All players would have better point totals if they played more, not just Avery

You

chosen is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
  #385
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
His usual 40 points? How many times has he done that?
****, that's my fault. For some reason I thought he had hit 40 points two or three seasons . I guess if you extrapolate some of his stats the seasons he got injured he would be in that area.

Regardless, I do think that he would be a good compliment to the Richards - Gaborik tandem on the top line.

NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:29 PM
  #386
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
In the NHL never, in Jnr he did it 3 times though!!!!!!!!!!!

Something i did learn when looking up those stats though is that the most games Avery has ever played a full NHL season once, and that was the year he was traded from LA to the Rangers. his AVG games per year since starting in the NHl is 52.9.
Maybe he should look at returning to juniors to recapture the glory years.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 05:32 PM
  #387
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
In the NHL never, in Jnr he did it 3 times though!!!!!!!!!!!

Something i did learn when looking up those stats though is that the most games Avery has ever played a full NHL season once, and that was the year he was traded from LA to the Rangers. his AVG games per year since starting in the NHl is 52.9.
He actually did hit 48 points that year he got dealt to us and his injuries have been a problem. Probably would have hit 40 points a couple of those years if it weren't for the injuries but because of that, I look like an idiot now

NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
  #388
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you cant honestly say that hes a worse hockey player than when he first arrived in 2007 and deserves his lack of ice time, I dont know what to tell you - you're love for the guy just blinds an objective view of his play; and this is coming from a guy thats highly skeptical of Tortorella.

Hes like a deer in headlights on the defensive side of the puck, and it still astonishes me that a 10 year NHL veteran doesnt entirely know the offsides rule.

But the worst part is this "edge" you talk about shows up maybe once out of 8 or 10 games.

But hey, he'll do something wild and crazy about 8 times a year and keep that bizarre relationship with fans like you because of it.
You obviously don't read my posts well enough.

Where have I ever said he's not a worse player than in 2007? Are you serious?

If you think there isn't room for a 30 point 3rd/4th liner on this team I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, he goes offsides a ton and isn't Pavel Datsyuk. I apologize for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
As you wish. You always ignore the most important point. Players get the ice time that management thinks they deserve.

Either you think everyone Avery has played for is stupid or there is a conspiracy at work.

Is it possible that he never earns the ice time you think he deserves? All players would have better point totals if they played more, not just Avery

You
The "conspiracy" is more with the officials and league than anything. And the fact that you always ignore the blatant bias against him from on ice officials leads this argument to a constant dead end.

There were multiple games last year where a BS call by an official immediately led to Avery's benching and then a reduced role for the next two weeks. Choosing to ignore that is beneficial for your argument so I can understand why you'd do that.

Trying to simplify it and minimize it down to "if he played better, wouldn't he get more ice time?" is your way of misconstruing things by negating details.

Then you'll pick one select sentence from this post, or one select post from someone who exaggerates something, and use it to further your nonsense.

Regardless of where we differ on opinions of his play, the facts remain that he scored 24 points while being given the least amount of ice time than any New York Rangers forward.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that giving him a regular shift would likely result in a 30+ point season for a 3rd/4th line tweener that can forecheck, cycle down low, and play a very useful role on this team.

But again, that's too much for you to admit.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 06:48 PM
  #389
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
Dear Ruckus,

So it is a conspiracy of the officials and the league itself that holds Avery back, according to you.

Who put Avery where he is?

Avery.

We are all responsible for ourselves. If Avery ever figures that out, maybe he will be a valuable player.

Until that day he will remain a self-destructive idiot who has sabotaged his own career.

At some point it becomes clear to most people that they are the primary reason for who they and where they are.

You can continue to tell us what could be if. Avery is the reason for the if. Not the league. Not the refs. Not all of his coaches. He has created hia own mess. Why you can't see this odd to me.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
  #390
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Dear Ruckus,

So it is a conspiracy of the officials and the league itself that holds Avery back, according to you.

Who put Avery where he is?

Avery.

We are all responsible for ourselves. If Avery ever figures that out, maybe he will be a valuable player.

Until that day he will remain a self-destructive idiot who has sabotaged his own career.

At some point it becomes clear to most people that they are the primary reason for who they and where they are.

You can continue to tell us what could be if. Avery is the reason for the if. Not the league. Not the refs. Not all of his coaches. He has created hia own mess. Why you can't see this odd to me.
What has Avery done on the ice chosen, to warrant the blatant bias he receives from officials?

Can you tell me that?

And again, can you tell me how a 30 point player isn't worthy of an NHL roster anymore?

You seem to neglect that, much like you do anything that's relevant, every single time.

If you can't deflect and misconstrue you have nothing.

Avery is responsible for himself. I get it. He's also done nothing on the ice to warrant the treatment he deserves. Officials are paid to officiate the game fairly. Period. Not with a bias.

Your opinion on Avery is as worthless as sand in the desert. At least I provide facts that you never respond to.

ruckus* is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
  #391
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
He actually did hit 48 points that year he got dealt to us and his injuries have been a problem. Probably would have hit 40 points a couple of those years if it weren't for the injuries but because of that, I look like an idiot now
Yeah Avery is a solid bottom 6 player. Only problem with him now is the fact that his ****** reputation proceeds him and it effects his play because he has to constantly consider the consequences of everything he does

Swept In Seven is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
  #392
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Yeah Avery is a solid bottom 6 player. Only problem with him now is the fact that his ****** reputation proceeds him and it effects his play because he has to constantly consider the consequences of everything he does
He could play the game hard and the right way every night and be this "solid bottom 6 player" you speak of - he really doesnt have to look any further than his teammate Brandon Prust.

Not showing up to play the game hard on most nights is noones issue but Avery's.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
  #393
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
What has Avery done on the ice chosen, to warrant the blatant bias he receives from officials?
There is bias, of course there is. It's mostly because he runs his mouth on the ice and its gets annoying.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM
  #394
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
What has Avery done on the ice chosen, to warrant the blatant bias he receives from officials?

Can you tell me that?

And again, can you tell me how a 30 point player isn't worthy of an NHL roster anymore?

You seem to neglect that, much like you do anything that's relevant, every single time.

If you can't deflect and misconstrue you have nothing.

Avery is responsible for himself. I get it. He's also done nothing on the ice to warrant the treatment he deserves. Officials are paid to officiate the game fairly. Period. Not with a bias.

Your opinion on Avery is as worthless as sand in the desert. At least I provide facts that you never respond to.
All of your facts are really what ifs.

If you believe Avery is being persecuted, ask yourself why. The NHL has decided that Avery must be blackballed out of hockey. This represents a fact to you.

Bettman has ordered the refs to ruin Avery's career. Right.

And his lack of ice time is because of this. His taking of penalties, going offsides more than any player I have ever seen, and showing up every 5 to 10 games is other people's faults.

Are the linesmen calling phony off sides, too?

If everone is railroading him, how does he play a great game every few weeks? Do the refs allow it as a tease? Is he so talented that despite being shackled, his greatness can't forever be held back?

I have never seen a player defended so much for doing so little.

chosen is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
  #395
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
when a guy gets ****ted on in such a fasion, it makes me sick. more than half the time i defend him because someone else just spews **** all over the board.

chip chipperson* is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
  #396
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,016
vCash: 500
Sigh. Predictable. The charges get dropped and the Avery fanboys come out and say "told you he wasn't guilty; screw you Avery bashers, you all owe an apology!"

If you go back and read what I (and what most of the others who posted anything other than blind support for Avery) said, we weren't saying "see, he's a criminal! He's guilty, **** the trial throw him in jail!" What we said was, "yet another example of Avery's stupidity. Just being in a situation where the cops a) show up and b) arrest you is indicative of bad judgment and continuation of a bad trend."

Very, very different from how many chose to interpret what was said by non Avery supporters - and no less true for the fact that the charges got thrown out.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 09:58 PM
  #397
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sigh. Predictable. The charges get dropped and the Avery fanboys come out and say "told you he wasn't guilty; screw you Avery bashers, you all owe an apology!"

If you go back and read what I (and what most of the others who posted anything other than blind support for Avery) said, we weren't saying "see, he's a criminal! He's guilty, **** the trial throw him in jail!" What we said was, "yet another example of Avery's stupidity. Just being in a situation where the cops a) show up and b) arrest you is indicative of bad judgment and continuation of a bad trend."

Very, very different from how many chose to interpret what was said by non Avery supporters - and no less true for the fact that the charges got thrown out.
yes, because it wasnt predictable that the haters would show up to trash him when there was barely even an incident.

you and most of the board? dont think so. all of you guys over reacted.

chip chipperson* is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 10:14 PM
  #398
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post

I have never seen a player defended so much for doing so little.
One of the great mysteries of New York.

Avery has this one year, one last shot to prove he is still worth an NHL spot. The Rangers gave him a second chance -when no one else would- and his repayment to the organization has been, shall we say, disappointing.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 10:29 PM
  #399
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
yes, because it wasnt predictable that the haters would show up to trash him when there was barely even an incident.
Okay, and again, for the umpteenth time, why does poor Sean Avery have more barely-even-an-incident-s on the ice, in the locker room and in real life than the rest of the team combined?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
you and most of the board? dont think so.
Apparently you were so eager to defend Avery once again, you didn't actually read what I wrote - that's not what I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
all of you guys over reacted.
Once again, apparently you didn't read what I actually wrote.

I, and most of those who did not support Avery in this thread, did not react to the alleged crime. I reacted first and foremost to the blind defense he received from many such as yourself in this fanbase. Secondarily, I reacted to the fact that he was idiot enough to put himself in a position to be thrown in jail. Given what happened, both of those were appropriate reactions.


Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 08-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
08-18-2011, 10:39 PM
  #400
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Okay, and again, for the umpteenth time, why does poor Sean Avery have more barely-even-an-incident-s on the ice, in the locker room and in real life than the rest of the team combined?

Apparently you were so eager to defend Avery once again, you didn't actually read what I wrote - that's not what I said.

Once again, apparently you didn't actually read what I actually wrote.

I, and most of those who did not support Avery in this thread, did not react to the alleged crime. I reacted first and foremost to the blind defense he received from this fanbase. Secondarily, I reacted to the fact that he was idiot enough to put himself in a position to be thrown in jail. Given what happened, both of those were appropriate reactions.
the guy was having a party and the music was loud. yea what an absolute idiot. thats how the cops got involved... see the over reaction?

you and everybody else that cant stand avery saw this non incident as some sort of way to justify getting him off the team.

who cares how many barely an incidents avery has. the point is that it barely is an incident and people on here (dont know if it was you in particular and im not going to look because i dont care) think that this was the last straw. reading some of the points avery haters made you would think the guy drove a car drunk and killed somebody.

every hater that showed up in this thread over reacted. and that probably included you.

chip chipperson* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.