HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery arrested (UPDATE: Charges Dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
im not someone saying haters should apologize but i think its pretty clear there was a lot of over reacting and only because it was avery. the guy some people can do nothing but hate.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
im not someone saying haters should apologize but i think its pretty clear there was a lot of over reacting and only because it was avery. the guy some people can do nothing but hate.
Yea lets move onto the other Rangers with recent run-ins with the cops, etc.

Oh wait...

Old
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sigh. Predictable. The charges get dropped and the Avery fanboys come out and say "told you he wasn't guilty; screw you Avery bashers, you all owe an apology!"

If you go back and read what I (and what most of the others who posted anything other than blind support for Avery) said, we weren't saying "see, he's a criminal! He's guilty, **** the trial throw him in jail!" What we said was, "yet another example of Avery's stupidity. Just being in a situation where the cops a) show up and b) arrest you is indicative of bad judgment and continuation of a bad trend."

Very, very different from how many chose to interpret what was said by non Avery supporters - and no less true for the fact that the charges got thrown out.
Good post.

Avery is a jerk, period. Hes not a monster, criminal, etc - but he is a big jerk.

And I dont usually generalize like this, but I just assume that the people who defend Avery's stupid behavior are probably jerks too and enjoy that sort of thing. Thats fine - I know and am friends with a lot of jerks and that doesnt bother me.

What does bother me more is the insinuation that this team needs Avery in any way, shape, or form.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yea lets move onto the other Rangers with recent run-ins with the cops, etc.

Oh wait...
what happened? were you one of the ones who over reacted? i bet.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:

And I dont usually generalize like this, but I just assume that the people who defend Avery's stupid behavior are probably jerks too and enjoy that sort of thing.

"I don't usually generalize, but allow me to make this idiotic generalization...."

What crap.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
we weren't saying "see, he's a criminal! He's guilty, **** the trial throw him in jail!" .
That's exactly what a lot of people were saying. Not saying you did and I can't really be bothered to go back to check every single of your Avery posts, but A LOT of people (or maybe 1 or 2 who posted a lot) did basically this. I remember people calling him a sociopath, for instance.

I'm by all means no Avery fanboy. I regard him as any other player on the Rangers roster, but it's so ****ing sad to see people make up their minds based on **** they've been feeded from the media and then go out bashing like there is no tomorrow. What's even more sad is people defending that kind of behavior.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Melrose_Jr.

If the pissing content continues, I'm just to going to shut this thread down and hand out a bunch of infractions for good measure.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If the pissing content continues, I'm just to going to shut this thread down and hand out a bunch of infractions for good measure.
ive been given an infraction for less than generalizing a group of fans as all jerks

Old
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
eco's bones

Whether Avery is a jerk or not (or particular posters defending or attacking him are jerks) is subjective to personal opinion. Really none of us really know him--do we? LAPD as well has not got a really good reputation and in the end their charges turned out to be a joke--possibly an instance of one cop or another trying to get his name in the paper from a run in with a 'notorious' celebrity. As news it belongs in the circular file as a bunch of nothing about nothing--fits best as gossip rag fodder.

But it does bring us to Avery the hockey player and I can understand some of the comments made by posters who want him off the team because at least in some respects they're like arguments I was making against Drury going back two-three years as I really saw a decline in his game after his first season with us--prolonged scoring slumps, inability to find chemistry with other forwards, lack of a creativity with the puck, problems getting up and down the ice with his linemates. Avery may have different on ice issues but there have been notable signs of decline and occasional disciplined decisions on the ice exacerbate all that--and the coach maybe not really having him in his plans. He's no longer a core player--as Drury wasn't in his last year or two either. And I have to say I always liked Avery but Drury not quite so much. In any case I can live with Sean's departure if it's a hockey decision but to nail him because of this ******** incident would not be fair.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Truthfully, with or without this incident, I don't think this team needs Avery anymore. I'd rather give up his spot to a guy like Thomas, MZA, Hagelin, or whoever. Prust/Feds/Boyle/Rupp etc... I'd rather have another skill guy in the lineup.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
This whole thing is a great example of how stupid it is for fans to get worked up on one side or the other of an off-the-ice/field/court issue like this.

I think it's necessary for the media to report something like this if there's a public figure involved. But people just can't digest news properly in this day in age. They jump to conclusions one way or the other.

Avery most likely wasn't completely innocent. For all we know the police department is too embarrassed about what happened (first it's a shove then its a foot in a door), or did something wrong (lied on a report?) and dropped the charges because of it. The cops might've also treated Avery different in a negative matter because of who he is. We'll never know. We should just accept that. It's not our life.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Whether Avery is a jerk or not (or particular posters defending or attacking him are jerks) is subjective to personal opinion. Really none of us really know him--do we? LAPD as well has not got a really good reputation and in the end their charges turned out to be a joke--possibly an instance of one cop or another trying to get his name in the paper from a run in with a 'notorious' celebrity. As news it belongs in the circular file as a bunch of nothing about nothing--fits best as gossip rag fodder.
there may be motives for the cop to bring foul play into it, but none of the officers names would ever make it to print.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post

"I don't usually generalize, but allow me to make this idiotic generalization...."

What crap.
i am a fan of plaxico burress. i guess im the type of guy to walk around with a gun in night clubs. seriously, the nerve of some people. get off your high horse.

wish i could write what i really thought without it being deleted.

Old
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Good post.

Avery is a jerk, period. Hes not a monster, criminal, etc - but he is a big jerk.

And I dont usually generalize like this, but I just assume that the people who defend Avery's stupid behavior are probably jerks too and enjoy that sort of thing. Thats fine - I know and am friends with a lot of jerks and that doesnt bother me.

What does bother me more is the insinuation that this team needs Avery in any way, shape, or form.
I have tried to stay out of this thread, but the character attacks and generalizations are just too much for me. If someone chooses to defend Avery, this should really should have no reflection on their character. Same goes for those who don't support him. I don't know anyone on this board on a personal level so I can't go as far to assume something about their character based on who they like or dislike as a player.

The only thing Avery is guilty of is acting like a silly immature teenager by throwing a loud party. The LAPD erred by arresting him for battery. I'm not sure how an officer getting his foot stuck in the door is somehow interpreted as a shove.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
chosen

Quote:
when a guy gets ****ted on in such a fasion, it makes me sick. more than half the time i defend him because someone else just spews **** all over the board.
So you must have been a rabid defender of Redden, right?

No one got dumped on more than him. Since you are a defender of those being abused, I applaud you for taking a similar stance with Redden. Consistency is an admirable quality.

Old
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This whole thing is a great example of how stupid it is for fans to get worked up on one side or the other of an off-the-ice/field/court issue like this.

I think it's necessary for the media to report something like this if there's a public figure involved. But people just can't digest news properly in this day in age. They jump to conclusions one way or the other.

Avery most likely wasn't completely innocent. For all we know the police department is too embarrassed about what happened (first it's a shove then its a foot in a door), or did something wrong (lied on a report?) and dropped the charges because of it. The cops might've also treated Avery different in a negative matter because of who he is. We'll never know. We should just accept that. It's not our life.
Don't you go bringing common sense into this thread. What nerve.

Old
08-19-2011, 01:16 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So you must have been a rabid defender of Redden, right?

No one got dumped on more than him. Since you are a defender of those being abused, I applaud you for taking a similar stance with Redden. Consistency is an admirable quality.
is avery getting payed 6.5 mil for 3 more years? when avery got scratched did he ***** about it to the media like redden did? is anyone as bad as redden? is avery a sociopath? did he really shove an officer? and who still plays in the nhl, at least for 1 more year?

see the difference in redden and avery? this was easy

whats next? are you saying that i should be defending hitler?

Old
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
is avery getting payed 6.5 mil for 3 more years? when avery got scratched did he ***** about it to the media like redden did? is anyone as bad as redden? is avery a sociopath? did he really shove an officer? and who still plays in the nhl, at least for 1 more year?

see the difference in redden and avery? this was easy

whats next? are you saying that i should be defending hitler?
Perhaps if Hitler could score 30 goals, you might. I don't know. We know you like Plaxico.

Many fans will openly cheer for criminals. Look at Ray Lewis.

Back to Hitler.

Billy Martin once said he would use him if he thought it would help the Yankees.

Old
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
getting ridiculous in here

Old
08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I love Sean Avery, I think he's a funny guy and I don't think any of the things he does or says are meant to be taken seriously. I think everyone is tremendously over sensitive and gets their panties in a bunch over some really trivial, insignificant stuff. I honestly think Avery would just LAUGH reading this thread, and I have a hard time not doing so myself. You people are ridiculous. If Avery is ANYTHING, he might be slightly cocky or arrogant, and I'm not even convinced of that. I'm almost positive he is a good teammate and a good guy and all of the junk that you people get hung up and judge him over is just sad. You must have a really, horrendously innocent and naive notion of what these guys are saying and doing to each other at ice level. Avery is just better at pushing buttons. The fact that people think they can honestly evaluate the kind of person he is based on ANYTHING he has done or said as a hockey player is just sad. It honestly makes me dislike the posters who are doing it MORE than anything a guy in the NHL could ever do to make me dislike them.

Old
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
I love Sean Avery, I think he's a funny guy and I don't think any of the things he does or says are meant to be taken seriously. I think everyone is tremendously over sensitive and gets their panties in a bunch over some really trivial, insignificant stuff. I honestly think Avery would just LAUGH reading this thread, and I have a hard time not doing so myself. You people are ridiculous. If Avery is ANYTHING, he might be slightly cocky or arrogant, and I'm not even convinced of that. I'm almost positive he is a good teammate and a good guy and all of the junk that you people get hung up and judge him over is just sad. You must have a really, horrendously innocent and naive notion of what these guys are saying and doing to each other at ice level. Avery is just better at pushing buttons. The fact that people think they can honestly evaluate the kind of person he is based on ANYTHING he has done or said as a hockey player is just sad. It honestly makes me dislike the posters who are doing it MORE than anything a guy in the NHL could ever do to make me dislike them.
Maybe he is a great guy to hang out with. What gets lost in these threads is that those of us who do not like him base our opinions on his effectiveness.

Old
08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Don't you go bringing common sense into this thread. What nerve.
my b

Old
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Perhaps if Hitler could score 30 goals, you might. I don't know. We know you like Plaxico.

Many fans will openly cheer for criminals. Look at Ray Lewis.

Back to Hitler.

Billy Martin once said he would use him if he thought it would help the Yankees.
30 goals, maybe... maybe.

i like plaxico because he helped my team win a superbowl, although i dont condone what he did and see the difference in playing music loud and bringing a gun into a night club.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Maybe he is a great guy to hang out with. What gets lost in these threads is that those of us who do not like him base our opinions on his effectiveness.
I'm not debating or even commenting on his effectiveness, and if your opinion (or anyone else's) is based SOLELY on how he performs as a player, that's fine and you're entitled to it.

I'm commenting on the HUGE JOKE that is people calling Avery a scum bag and saying he doesn't deserve to play in the NHL, etc. These people are honest to god stupid and their ridiculous ability to condemn a human being they don't know based on gossip, hearsay and their opinion of his antics in a game that's, quite honestly, filthy at an on-ice level, is far more pathetic than any action Avery has engaged in during his NHL career. The people who have determined Avery is a horrible human being, a cancer, a criminal, a joke and a person who deserves to be kicked out of the sport are far bigger jokes than Mr. Avery ever has been and I'm tired of reading these ridiculous judgments here AND on the main board, from Rangers fans and fans from other teams alike, and not just about players like Avery, but about every agitator or "character" in the league. People need to seriously, seriously get off of their politically correct high horses.

Hockey is a filthy sport and the things we say to one another in the locker rooms, between the benches and on the ice would apparently SHOCK most of you if you think Avery is such a villain. He's just better at playing the role of the villain than many people are, but it says nothing of the kind of human being he is, or of how deserving he is of a career. I've honestly seen people on HF wishing death or severe injury on the guy and it's just pathetic. If you don't think he's got a spot on the team going forward, that's A-Ok. I fully understand it; similar to how I don't see MZA landing a full-time roster spot next season, it's a completely different discussion and it has to do with what they bring to the ice and the merits of their game. It's the straight up BASHING of the guy that is so utterly humiliating to witness from a bunch of anonymous nothings sitting behind computer screens.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 1050
I am sorry, I apologize

There, this thread should now be dead .... right?

Closed Thread