FA
new
 ‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏Curtis McKenzie
LW
6th
 ‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏Hubert Labrie
D
FA

Thanks to everyone who participated. We all have our own preferences of course, but overall I think this is a list we can stand behind. I mean, look at all those defensemen.

Last edited by piqued: 09-21-2011 at 09:48 AM.
piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Ub the Bub

vCash: 500
Roman dropping from 7th and all the way to out... Ouch...

Ub the Bub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Nice and solid prospect pool. Good to see that we have 3 goalies that will most likely all have a bright future in the NHL.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djungelurban View Post
Roman dropping from 7th and all the way to out... Ouch...
His Czech team really torpedoed his development. Getting scratched in the playoffs was also what happened to Korostin before he was never heard from again. Hopefully there's still time to turn it around, but I'm not optimistic.

Old
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
txomisc

Definitely things are looking up. There are some very solid prospects on that list. Next year looks very d heavy so far so I wouldnt be surprised to see another dman put into the top of our list after that draft.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
His Czech team really torpedoed his development. Getting scratched in the playoffs was also what happened to Korostin before he was never heard from again. Hopefully there's still time to turn it around, but I'm not optimistic.
I was never particularly high on him but I agree with this. He'd have been better off if he hadnt gone back overseas. What a stupid situation he found himself in.

Old
08-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Sceviour really got screwed by shiny new prospect syndrome.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Sceviour really got screwed by shiny new prospect syndrome.
Maybe. I would argue that Vincour's standing on this list is far too high and sort of balances things out. I'm not sure I ever see either scoring a ton but I think both will be contributing NHL players on good teams.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Definitely things are looking up. There are some very solid prospects on that list.
And off of it. Roman, Theriau, Bergin, Guptill, Stransky, A. Smith... these are all legitimate prospects who boast some upside. A system described as having depth is often just code for "it sucks", but in this case it's more of a real compliment.

GLU you want to comment at all on Bergin? I saw that you voted for him at 20 which I thought was an interesting (and good) choice.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Dr GLU

I wouldn't leave Winkler off that list, personally. I think he's going to have a better season than most of you expect.

With Bergin, I'm just impressed by the smoothness in his game. I think it's clear that he won't be an offensive juggernaut at the higher levels, but he's got poise, skating ability, and is a solid player on both sides of the puck. He's got upside as a bottom pairing, two-way guy, but only if he can stay on the ice. I'd say this is a critical year for him, especially with regards to staying healthy. I can see some of the people left off the list as being better, but I've just got a hunch that he may pan out.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
I wouldn't leave Winkler off that list, personally. I think he's going to have a better season than most of you expect.

With Bergin, I'm just impressed by the smoothness in his game. I think it's clear that he won't be an offensive juggernaut at the higher levels, but he's got poise, skating ability, and is a solid player on both sides of the puck. He's got upside as a bottom pairing, two-way guy, but only if he can stay on the ice. I'd say this is a critical year for him, especially with regards to staying healthy. I can see some of the people left off the list as being better, but I've just got a hunch that he may pan out.
Where would you put Winkler and what kind of season do you expect from him?

Old
08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
I hope you guys are selling Theriau seriously short. After he was dealt from Everett he was given a role best suited him and he did very well.
I'll check back this time next year and see where he's at.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:49 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I hope you guys are selling Theriau seriously short. After he was dealt from Everett he was given a role best suited him and he did very well.
I do think Theriau is likely a top 20 prospect for this team. I think he just suffers from not being a shiny new prospect and not being a hyped undrafted free agent. Hes sort of just lost in the shuffle. If we had taken him in the 5th round Im sure he would have been on this list.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Don't worry I totally voted for Theriau at 20. I'm not so turned by shiny new toy syndrome.... then again I voted for Jokipakka at 14.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
It should be pointed out that the shiny new toys that got votes looked pretty damn good while on the same ice as most of the other guys on this list. It's belittling to insinuate that these guys are getting votes based on nothing at all.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Idk, I don't see how Jokki is in the top 20.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Idk, I don't see how Jokki is in the top 20.
He's competing and finding success in the 3rd or 4th best league in the world, against men, which is more than most of the other players on the list can say. Most of these 18 and 19 year old players are beating up on other guys their age. Some of them are 20 years old in a teenager's league.

He's no blue chip prospect, but at 19 in the Finnish league, he proved he's a serious prospect. Most teams gambled on a chance to sign him as a free agent, but Dallas obviously thought burning a pick was more valuable.

Knowing how Dillon adjusted to the AHL is the only reason I'd rate him over Jokipakka. If Dillon's WHL team had somehow snuck in the playoffs, and he didn't get a shot in Texas yet, Joki's play in a tougher league is more impressive than Dillon dominating younger guys as an overage, IMO. What's impressive about Dillon is obviously his sooth transition to the AHL.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He's competing and finding success in the 3rd or 4th best league in the world, against men, which is more than most of the other players on the list can say. Most of these 18 and 19 year old players are beating up on other guys their age. Some of them are 20 years old in a teenager's league.

He's no blue chip prospect, but at 19 in the Finnish league, he proved he's a serious prospect. Most teams gambled on a chance to sign him as a free agent, but Dallas obviously thought burning a pick was more valuable.

Knowing how Dillon adjusted to the AHL is the only reason I'd rate him over Jokipakka. If Dillon's WHL team had somehow snuck in the playoffs, and he didn't get a shot in Texas yet, Joki's play in a tougher league is more impressive than Dillon dominating younger guys as an overage, IMO. What's impressive about Dillon is obviously his smooth transition to the AHL.
Pretty much I think he has a more surefire job in the NHL since he's smart and large. At worst he's a Brad Lukowich. At best... he's probably Robyn Regehr.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Pretty solid list I think the only prospect I really think should be in the top 20 that's not is Theriau.
I also agree with Rune, Sceviour in my opinion should be above Vance and Molin but overall I think this is a pretty good reflection of our top twenty.

Way to go Stars fans

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Knowing how Dillon adjusted to the AHL is the only reason I'd rate him over Jokipakka. If Dillon's WHL team had somehow snuck in the playoffs, and he didn't get a shot in Texas yet, Joki's play in a tougher league is more impressive than Dillon dominating younger guys as an overage, IMO. What's impressive about Dillon is obviously his sooth transition to the AHL.
Thats sort of the impression I got too, that most teams that were interested in him hoped to sign him later. I don't know how many overragers are drafted each year but its probably just a handful or two and I wouldn't doubt if some teams had pretty strict policies on drafting players who aren't in their first year of eligibility.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
Pretty solid list I think the only prospect I really think should be in the top 20 that's not is Theriau.
I also agree with Rune, Sceviour in my opinion should be above Vance and Molin but overall I think this is a pretty good reflection of our top twenty.

Way to go Stars fans
I'm pretty skeptical about Sceviours top end at this point. He looks like a 3rd liner and while those are very useful I personally tend towards ranking higher upside guys ahead of solid players like Sceviour.

Old
08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

I'm curious as to what the consensus is on Brendan Dillon from you Stars fans. I'm curious because I went to elementary school with him years and years ago

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Where would you put Winkler and what kind of season do you expect from him?
Winkler would definitely be a borderline case for the bottom of the list. I personally have him in that next group of guys (Smith, Bergin, Roman, etc.).

If I had to guess, he'll probably get himself decent minutes in the Top 6 with CC and his point output will jump significantly. He has the ability to be a very good two-way player. His instincts are there, the physical ability is there, and I think the talent is there for him to produce at a decent clip. Much like Bergin and Guptill, he's lost significant time to injury, and moving up the ranks (Midget->Junior->NCAA) as quickly as he did was probably a bit much for him initially. I expect him to open some eyes this year.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Mike's take on our top-20 is up.

It's essentially the same as ours. Chiasson and Glennie are flipped, but there was strong minority sentiment (myself included) to do that in our polls also. Molin is the only big disagreement as he's not even on the HF list.

Old
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Is Fraser still 18th on this list if we started the poll today?

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote