HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): National Leeague Eastern Division Champs

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2011, 04:26 AM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Nonsense. This is HF. In 6 years everyone here will consider those guys washed up.
Nicely done.

Back to the game: Howard with two more of those meaningless league leading RBIs. 3 off the lead for HRs. Yeah, there are better first basemen out there but, to paraphrase Charlie, Ryan's our guy.

Old
08-11-2011, 08:35 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
What happens first? Phillies win 90 or Phillies lose 45?

Currently 77-40

Old
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Slimmer playoffs

Major League Baseball released the postseason schedule Wednesday, and it is as compact as ever. That could work to the Phillies' advantage. Fewer off days means it will be more difficult for teams to rely on only three starters throughout the postseason. And the Phillies rotation is as deep as they come.

The only off days during series are travel days. Three superfluous days off were eliminated in the newest schedule.

For the first time since 1915, the postseason begins on a Friday. The National League Division Series begins Saturday, Oct. 1, three days after the Phillies' regular-season finale in Atlanta. Game 1 of the World Series, held in the ballpark of the NL champion, is Oct. 19. Game 7, if necessary, is Oct. 27.
Wow. Look at Selig and MLB getting something right.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
****ing awesome. So when two teams that will face each other are done with their respective series', they just travel and just play? That's ****ing awesome.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
****ing awesome. So when two teams that will face each other are done with their respective series', they just travel and just play? That's ****ing awesome.
No, that's not what it means. Just that there won't be a day off in between Games 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 (in CS and WS) like there had been which allowed teams to go with only 3 starters. The actual schedule is fixed.

Old
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
No, that's not what it means. Just that there won't be a day off in between Games 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 like there had been which allowed teams to go with only 3 starters. The actual schedule is fixed.
Oh ok. Would be kinda nice to do it the way I said it though .

Old
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
As long as Oswalt gets healthy then its good.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Oh ok. Would be kinda nice to do it the way I said it though .
Except for the fact of the season ending later, I really don't mind the teams setting up he rotation for the upcoming series... possibly allowing the best pitchers to go head to head and get more games in. Having the starting rotation the Phillies have can only mean they have the edge as I see it... and the fans get to see a better product from both sides if the cards fall in place with the off days between series.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Nicely done.

Back to the game: Howard with two more of those meaningless league leading RBIs. 3 off the lead for HRs. Yeah, there are better first basemen out there but, to paraphrase Charlie, Ryan's our guy.
RBI's? meaningless.

.939 OPS? full of meaning.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
RBI's? meaningless.

.939 OPS? full of meaning.
Both have almost zero meaning in a single game sample.

I enjoy having RBIs mentioned personally, even with complete knowledge of their limited utility as a statistic. If you're familiar with the player's situation and opportunities, they're not completely meaningless; they're just terrible for any sort of comparison/evaluation across teams.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Both have almost zero meaning in a single game sample.

I enjoy having RBIs mentioned personally, even with complete knowledge of their limited utility as a statistic. If you're familiar with the player's situation and opportunities, they're not completely meaningless; they're just terrible for any sort of comparison/evaluation across teams.
I'm just poking at mja's little crusade for the much beaten RBI statistic's resurrection.

And the OPS number was his August run, coinciding with a string of RBIs. It's no accident that Howard's RBI totals oscillate with rising and falling OPS numbers in splits.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
I'm just poking at mja's little crusade for the much beaten RBI statistic's resurrection.

And the OPS number was his August run, coinciding with a string of RBIs. It's no accident that Howard's RBI totals oscillate with rising and falling OPS numbers in splits.
Ah okay, that's good. Actually no, it's not; I expect >1.1 OPS in Aug/Sept from him.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:

So you are saying that his recent string of RBIs are linked to his increased OPS?

Old
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Lol.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
So you are saying that his recent string of RBIs are linked to his increased OPS?
All things being equal, the better you hit... the more RBIs you're going to have. The worse you hit... the less RBIs you're going to have.

It's also tied to things like Chase Utley's .243 BA this month and Rollins .362 OBP.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
All things being equal, the better you hit... the more RBIs you're going to have. The worse you hit... the less RBIs you're going to have.
So, in other words, RBIs are a rather crude yet not completely ineffective way that the non-mathematically inclined among us can use in order to keep track of who is being effective during the course of a season?

Fantastic!

Old
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Yoshimitsu

Just because something isn't completely ineffective doesn't mean that it should be used.

RBI is a bad stat. There's no way around it.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
So, in other words, RBIs are a rather crude yet not completely ineffective way that the non-mathematically inclined among us can use in order to keep track of who is being effective during the course of a season?

Fantastic!
You say this as if looking at a RBI column on the stat sheet is different from looking at the OPS column.

It isn't like they make you calculate the numbers, man.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...1/seasontype/2

It's the last column on the right... since you're not mathematically inclined, but want to reference one number over another number, both of which are arrived upon by math.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
You say this as if looking at a RBI column on the stat sheet is different from looking at the OPS column.

It isn't like they make you calculate the numbers, man.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...1/seasontype/2

It's the last column on the right... since you're not mathematically inclined, but want to reference one number over another number, both of which are arrived upon by math.
How many different statistics am I supposed to look at? I mean, there's the traditional things like BA & such, then there is OBP, SLG, OPS, BABIP, and on and on and on, and I won't even get into the pitching or fielding stats, or the attempts at a grand unified field theory like Win Shares or WAR .

I watch baseball to enjoy it. I don't enjoy looking at a bunch of numbers. You do, and that's fine with me, it really is. When you bring up those stats in a debate as to whether or not one player is better than another or whatever, I won't belittle you or the stats.

But for ****'s sake, can you let me enjoy my primitive little stats as I drink a beer and watch the game? I mean, if Howard ends up with .260, 40, & 130, I'm pretty sure his OPS will be great.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:51 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Just because something isn't completely ineffective doesn't mean that it should be used.

RBI is a bad stat. There's no way around it.

****, I wasn't aware that scoring didn't matter anymore.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Sabremetrics FTW?

Old
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post

****, I wasn't aware that scoring didn't matter anymore.
Was this post supposed to make sense?

Old
08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Was this post supposed to make sense?
Was saying sending Dom Brown down and keeping Raul in the lineup would be "the worst mistake" supposed to make sense? The Phillies have been on an historic run ever since you made that comment.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Was saying sending Dom Brown down and keeping Raul in the lineup would be "the worst mistake" supposed to make sense? The Phillies have been on an historic run ever since you made that comment.
Raul Ibanez has a line of .190/.244/.405 since Brown was sent down. That is terrible. Looks like the joke is on you.

Now, please explain to the class how RBI, a team statistic, is a relevant metric for determining the skill of an individual player? I'll wait.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Raul Ibanez has a line of .190/.244/.405 since Brown was sent down. That is terrible. Looks like the joke is on you.

Now, please explain to the class how RBI, a team statistic, is a relevant metric for determining the skill of an individual player? I'll wait.
Joke is on me? With an 11-1 record? I truly am ashamed. You were right when you said it would be "the worst mistake." The team is in ruins!

RBI are important because, I don't know, you have to hit runs in to win a baseball game? No, if something seems so simple we should turn to the computer to make up some ******** statistics that mean more than simple runs, earned runs, wins, and losses. "Any run of the mill 1B would be as good as Howard because of his WAR!"

Closed Thread