HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): National Leeague Eastern Division Champs

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2011, 05:35 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
He's on ESPN doing Baseball Tonight from time to time. I don't know what the status of his rehabbing is offhand.

E: In fact he's on now.
Cool, don't watch ESPN anymore and didn't know he was doin some studio work. Is he any good? He sure has the knowledge but sometimes that doesn't translate to tv.

Old
08-19-2011, 06:36 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I hope Moyer ends up with the Phillies in some job eventually.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Reading an article about Thome in the Daily News and it's entirely possible for him to end up here. If the Phillies are the team he wants to go to.

A Minneapolis Star-Tribune writer says that he has heard that the Twins front office would be willing to accommodate him if he wants a chance to win it all.

The article then goes on to say that if Thome is waived and claimed by a team that he does not want to play for, due to the fact that he has a NTC, he could decline assignment and become a free agent. He'd have to forfeit the remainder of his contract though. That obviously shouldn't be a big deal though.

Or they could put him on unconditional waivers and Thome himself can reject any claims from teams he doesn't want to play for.

All depends if Thome wants to only play here or he'll play anywhere with a chance to win.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Mayberry is really fighting to at least split time with Raul right now. It's looking like he could be a solid full-time ML player next year, but our outfield is already set (Brown-Victorino-Pence).(!)
He actually has since his call-up. I believe I read he's started over Raul in every game vs LHP (save for last night I guess where he played CF).

He could always platoon at 1B next year.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Jester

Depends how much Thome actually would want to come here to be a bench player. Was just reading a Minnesota writer opining that it would be HIGHLY likely (and I think he's right) that the White Sox would put a claim in on Thome... where he could go and be a regular DH on a team trying to get into the playoffs.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
He actually has since his call-up. I believe I read he's started over Raul in every game vs LHP (save for last night I guess where he played CF).

He could always platoon at 1B next year.
I really like the idea of a Mayberry, Brown, Victorino, and Pence OF next year... and given his ability to play CF, you could give Victorino some games off against lefties. I'm not sure I buy Mayberry as a full time starter, however.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Depends how much Thome actually would want to come here to be a bench player. Was just reading a Minnesota writer opining that it would be HIGHLY likely (and I think he's right) that the White Sox would put a claim in on Thome... where he could go and be a regular DH on a team trying to get into the playoffs.
Yeah, I'd have to think he'd prefer to be a DH and play every day. It would be awesome to have him back here but unless he can suddenly play 3B the fit isn't right for him.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I'd have to think he'd prefer to be a DH and play every day. It would be awesome to have him back here but unless he can suddenly play 3B the fit isn't right for him.
The wild card would be that if he's planning on retiring after this year, he may like to finish it out playing with Charlie. At this point in his career, I'm not sure Thome is all that concerned about ABs... might be more about the people.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
I really like the idea of a Mayberry, Brown, Victorino, and Pence OF next year... and given his ability to play CF, you could give Victorino some games off against lefties. I'm not sure I buy Mayberry as a full time starter, however.
You're probably right, but in that scenario I'd love to see guys rotated a little bit so he ends up starting 40+ games, and not just because of injuries. He has the most consistent power out of those 4 guys right now, something we need from those positions.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
mm6492

Quote:
The wild card would be that if he's planning on retiring after this year, he may like to finish it out playing with Charlie. At this point in his career, I'm not sure Thome is all that concerned about ABs... might be more about the people.
And the chance to win it all. White Sox are fighting for a spot in the playoffs, but are not serious contenders IMO.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Hollywood Couturier

The Charlie factor is huge here IMO. I'd just really like to see Jim come back and if the Phillies win it this year it would be great. The guy who pretty much started this era of Phillies baseball coming back and finally winning.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
You're probably right, but in that scenario I'd love to see guys rotated a little bit so he ends up starting 40+ games, and not just because of injuries. He has the most consistent power out of those 4 guys right now, something we need from those positions.
He's done well this year, but I also think he's benefiting from being 27 (maturity as a hitter) with MLB pitchers not knowing him all that well. He definitely has come back up with a better idea this year... whether he can maintain it is another matter. I would definitely start him over Ibanez against lefties the rest of the way, but I'm not Charlie so we'll see what happens.

I also don't like guys playing 150-60 games all that much. If you can drop that number to the 130-40 (due to getting some rest and not injury), I think it can do a team some good in the long run... and keep people fresh throughout the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
And the chance to win it all. White Sox are fighting for a spot in the playoffs, but are not serious contenders IMO.
I tend to agree, but if you get in you have a shot... and he also has ties to that team.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I don't know if it would matter to him because he's been a bench player in the NL before, and more importantly we currently reside in baseball heaven.

Would you rather DH on a team fighting for a playoff spot after a 20 year career with no rings, or be a bench player on a team with a historic rotation, and a manager who you consider to be a father figure?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up right now, but seeing that his NTC means he can opt out of a deal and become a FA is pretty friggin exciting.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I don't know if it would matter to him because he's been a bench player in the NL before, and more importantly we currently reside in baseball heaven.

Would you rather DH on a team fighting for a playoff spot after a 20 year career with no rings, or be a bench player on a team with a historic rotation, and a manager who you consider to be a father figure?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up right now, but seeing that his NTC means he can opt out of a deal and become a FA is pretty friggin exciting.
He has just as much of a connection to the White Sox as he does with the Phillies. We're not talking some random here.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
He has just as much of a connection to the White Sox as he does with the Phillies. We're not talking some random here.
The White Sox don't have our rotation, don't have the best record in baseball, and aren't managed by Charlie Manuel. You heard how he talked about Manuel.

I know he has connections to the White Sox, but after 20 years with no rings, wouldn't you want to go to the place that gives you the best chance to win?

EDIT: I know he played for the White Sox for like 4 years, but he also played with the Phillies for 3. Its not like there's a huge difference there. We don't know what Thome is thinking, but just comparing the two teams, one is below .500 and 4 GB of the division, and one is 38 games over .500 and like 15 games up on a playoff spot.

I think the team I'd be more worried about him signing with would be the Indians, if they have a role for him. I think their DH is Hafner, and doesn't he make a ton of money?

I know its very, very far from being a sure thing, but we have a reason to be optimistic about our chances if he does get waived. I think we'd be the front runner for him.

Last edited by Protest: 08-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old
08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
The White Sox don't have our rotation, don't have the best record in baseball, and aren't managed by Charlie Manuel. You heard how he talked about Manuel.

I know he has connections to the White Sox, but after 20 years with no rings, wouldn't you want to go to the place that gives you the best chance to win?
Or do you want to have your father sitting in the stands watching you play? I understand the Charlie connection, I just think you're dismissing the White Sox a bit too quickly... and that's without getting into the question of playing time.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Johnny Damon is a name being mentioned by Ken Rosenthal. Already cleared waivers.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Johnny Damon is a name being mentioned by Ken Rosenthal. Already cleared waivers.
He wouldn't be a bad option at all... certainly more "usable" than Gload is right now.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
He wouldn't be a bad option at all... certainly more "usable" than Gload is right now.
And has previously kicked our ass.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
If Thome wants to come here they can make it happen.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Reading an article about Thome in the Daily News and it's entirely possible for him to end up here. If the Phillies are the team he wants to go to.

A Minneapolis Star-Tribune writer says that he has heard that the Twins front office would be willing to accommodate him if he wants a chance to win it all.

The article then goes on to say that if Thome is waived and claimed by a team that he does not want to play for, due to the fact that he has a NTC, he could decline assignment and become a free agent. He'd have to forfeit the remainder of his contract though. That obviously shouldn't be a big deal though.

Or they could put him on unconditional waivers and Thome himself can reject any claims from teams he doesn't want to play for.

All depends if Thome wants to only play here or he'll play anywhere with a chance to win.

That's basically what I was asking the other day about his having a NTC coming into play in one way or another... and what were the rules.

Thanks.

Old
08-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Cool, don't watch ESPN anymore and didn't know he was doin some studio work. Is he any good? He sure has the knowledge but sometimes that doesn't translate to tv.
He does okay. It's his first year there so he's a bit tentative and whenever I catch him doing a show he sticks to what he knows for the most part, and that's pitching. One of his most commonly used phrases is "downward plane," when talking about the good pitches.

Quote:
Kinda a shame if that's going to be the OF next year that JMJ is a righty, and to give Vic a blow every so often it would make sense to give JMJ a spot start against lefties (and even though this year JMJ is better against righties, I doubt that will last forever) because Vic is actually better batting righty. But if that's the worst problem with the OF next year I think I can handle it.

I'll agree with the Mayberry sentiment though, he's looked good thus far but I'll need to see this relatively consistently for the rest of the year, and bring this kinda production into Spring Training of next year and at least a month or so to really consider him an everyday kinda guy.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
To me JMJ is going to be a very good 4th OF but right now he is playing awesome.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:09 PM
mm6492

God Ibanez is ****ing slow...

Old
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
God Ibanez is ****ing slow...
He's no speed demon but that was a pretty good throw by Werth. I think Samuel would have held him if it wasn't the pitchers spot coming up.

Closed Thread