HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best place to get car paint/painted

Old
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
ejams

vCash: 500
Best place to get car paint/painted

I have an older 95 Corolla. I love the car, it probably has minimum 5 years left/
But it's getting cracked and rusted due to neglect from being left in the weather for almost a whole year, and me not waxing it =(.

Where is the best place to get a car completely painted? Anyone try Maaco? I don't want the cheapest paint but I don't want to spend to much as it is a Corolla not a Porsche.

Or if it will be too expensive.. Where is the best place to get paint mixed(color code 923)?

Thanks for your help fellow Oilers fans =)

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Getting your car painted could possibly cost more then what its currently worth.

Why bother?

Go to Canadian Tire and pick up a few cans of paint and do some touchups. If theres severe rusting a paintjob is only going to be a temp fix anyway.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 02:18 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
I have an older 95 Corolla. I love the car, it probably has minimum 5 years left/
But it's getting cracked and rusted due to neglect from being left in the weather for almost a whole year, and me not waxing it =(.

Where is the best place to get a car completely painted? Anyone try Maaco? I don't want the cheapest paint but I don't want to spend to much as it is a Corolla not a Porsche.

Or if it will be too expensive.. Where is the best place to get paint mixed(color code 923)?

Thanks for your help fellow Oilers fans =)
If you are willing to DIY...go to Desro and rent the paint booth...I think its 35$ a day or something...don't remember...unless its 35$ an hour

Midtown is pretty cheap in price...I got mine painted there. Maaco is hit or miss it seems since a lot of the people that work there are high school drop outs I've heard

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:16 AM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Getting your car painted could possibly cost more then what its currently worth.

Why bother?

Go to Canadian Tire and pick up a few cans of paint and do some touchups. If theres severe rusting a paintjob is only going to be a temp fix anyway.
I agree with the first part.

Butttt Canadian Tire does not carry my paint or anything close to it =(.

It's only slight rusting that needs sanding.

And thanks frag2 I'll check out Desro and see how Midtown's pricing is.

Anyone else know shops that mix paint?

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM
HopelessOilFan

Maaco is great if you do the pre paint work yourself. The sanding and priming, etc. The difference in a good and bad paint job is all about the preparation work.

Otherwise they just throw a coat of paint over your old one.

I'm with replacement though, i wouldn't put any significant amount of money into a car that old, especially if its rusting.

That rust will become a serious problem sooner rather than later, and the paint will only make it harder for you to notice and prevent.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Redbarchettayyz

vCash: 1002
I see no point in repainting a 95 corolla, but if you are absolutely dead set on it and wish to go the DIY route so you don't end up paying more than the car is worth (If you know someone who can paint, etc.) I recommend contacting Endura Coatings in Edmonton. For the small amount you would need to paint a small car, the cost would be fairly reasonable. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, non-industrial customers are limited to waterborne paints (and this includes car and body shops), rather than solvent borne. They are more difficult to paint, but if you know someone who knows how to apply it, it would still look great. Although I'm still in favour of buying a new car if you can and avoiding all this hassle.

edit: Just wanted to reiterate what hopelessoil said- your prep work is the MOST important part of any paint job. Your arm may fall off from all the sanding, but it makes all the difference.

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote