HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs: Finally a NE division contender?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Brisson11

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
We will be a contender but thats up to the team to decide on how far they actually strive to go.

Old
08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
6 String Benny

I agree.Habs will be much better next season,if the NHLPA doesnt pull the carpet out from under our feet and we have no hockey to watch.The way I see it,it has been noted that we play in the arguably the toughest division and we will be hard pressed to compete with the leafs and mostly with Ottawa,but that being said,if we can only slightly improve our efforts againts those teams that we play six times,things could be quite interesting.Win against Ottawa and Toronto and not only do you gain 2 points but you take away points from the opposition.The difference of 11 pts. between us and Boston could be made up quickly unlike last year when we had such a hard time to win against those guys.And also lets not count out Boston.They were supposed to crash and burn last year and look what they did.Win against our own division and the Habs may suprise alot of people.Look what Calgary did-Why can't we?
Good post by the way-Not that much hockey news lately so this discussion kind of takes the edge off.......

Old
08-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Except for Boston possibly, which teams in the NE got weaker?
Toronto definatly. A team that old automatically regresses when going by status quo.

Old
08-07-2004, 07:35 PM
6 String Benny

I forgot one thing.I gotta run to the can right now and we are out of toilet paper.Does anyone have a copy of the Forcaster that I can borrow?

Old
08-07-2004, 08:46 PM
rocketlives

Our fate depends on Theodore. If he stays healthy and has an outstanding season, I believe the Habs could be in the battle for the division title most of the year. If Theo is on the IR for a lenghty period or has a bad season, the Habs will have a hard time making the playoffs. That's if there is a season , of course.

Last edited by rocketlives: 08-08-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old
08-07-2004, 10:03 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Toronto definatly. A team that old automatically regresses when going by status quo.
The Leafs aren't done as long as they have Sundin and a goaltender. They might have to change their style, but they've slowly been doing that from a crash-bang team to a puck possession team.

Boston is a team that could sink out of the playoffs, but probably not. They always seem to do well when they retool and they might have a real goalie for the first time since the 1940s!

If we sign Kovalev, we might have enough offense to take advantage of these two teams' weaknesses along the blueline.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Habruti!

Well I think that last Stanely cup champions will again dominate this year, they have the team for it. We are much stronger but so will be Buffalo, the Islanders should be a threat and we wont know for the other teams until free agency signature is over. I do however expect a strong year from New Jersey and some dissapointment from Ottawa (I think they will suffer the loss of Bonk but mostly the lost of Jacques Martin. I do expect the following though in the East...

First three should be without a doubt
1. Tempa Bay
2. Philadelphia
3. New Jersey

Then should come in some order that is unpredctable...
4. Ottawa
5. Islanders
6. Boston
7. Toronto
8. Atlanta
9. Florida
10. Montreal
11.Buffalo

Then we should see the rest of the crowd
12. Washington
13. Carolina
14. Pitsburg

Not much different then last year will you tell me but there is one big difference. Teams like Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida and Buffalo should be a lot more competitive this year making it a lot more difficult for the habs to make the playoff.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
Well I think that last Stanely cup champions will again dominate this year, they have the team for it. We are much stronger but so will be Buffalo, the Islanders should be a threat and we wont know for the other teams until free agency signature is over. I do however expect a strong year from New Jersey and some dissapointment from Ottawa (I think they will suffer the loss of Bonk but mostly the lost of Jacques Martin. I do expect the following though in the East...

1. Tempa Bay
2. Philadelphia
3. New Jersey

4. Ottawa
5. Islanders
6. Boston
7. Toronto
8. Atlanta
9. Florida
10. Montreal
11.Buffalo

12. Washington
13. Carolina
14. Pitsburg

Not much different then last year will you tell me but there is one big difference. Teams like Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida and Buffalo should be a lot more competitive this year making it a lot more difficult for the habs to make the playoff.
Philly and NJ are in the same division, hence they can't both finish in the top three.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
The Leafs aren't done as long as they have Sundin and a goaltender. They might have to change their style, but they've slowly been doing that from a crash-bang team to a puck possession team.
I didnt say they were done, just that they regressed.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
I forgot one thing.I gotta run to the can right now and we are out of toilet paper.Does anyone have a copy of the Forcaster that I can borrow?
Sorry, I already went today

Old
08-07-2004, 10:45 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:

1. Tempa Bay
2. Philadelphia
3. New Jersey

4. Ottawa
5. Islanders
6. Boston
7. Toronto
8. Atlanta
9. Florida
10. Montreal
11.Buffalo

12. Washington
13. Carolina
14. Pitsburg

How can NJ and Philly both be in the top 3 if they are in the same division? How do you figure that Toronto will finnish behind Boston? You forgot Washington.

Old
08-07-2004, 11:27 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:

1. Tempa Bay
2. Philadelphia
3. New Jersey

4. Ottawa
5. Islanders
6. Boston
7. Toronto
8. Atlanta
9. Florida
10. Montreal
11.Buffalo

12. Washington
13. Carolina
14. Pitsburg

Where are the rangers? At the bottom of the standings???

Here's my standings:

1.Tampa Bay
2.Philadelphia
3.Ottawa

4.New Jersey
5.Toronto
6.Montreal
7.Boston
8.Florida

9.Islanders
10.Buffalo
11.Atlanta
12.Carolina
13.Pittsburgh
14.Rangers
15.Washington

Anyone agree or disagree with me??? Tell me what you think of that!

Old
08-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Where are the rangers? At the bottom of the standings???

Here's my standings:

1.Tampa Bay
2.Philadelphia
3.Ottawa

4.New Jersey
5.Toronto
6.Montreal
7.Boston
8.Florida

9.Islanders
10.Buffalo
11.Atlanta
12.Carolina
13.Pittsburgh
14.Rangers
15.Washington

Anyone agree or disagree with me??? Tell me what you think of that!
Sounds pretty good but I doubt TB will repeat lat year's phenomenon.

Old
08-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Traitor8

If Habs sign all their RFA and sign Alexei Kovalev then:

1-Tampa Bay->Good core+coaching
2-Ottawa->Team will do good in season again
3-Flyers->They are always there, should be able to replace leaving assets
4-Montreal->Bonk+Hopefully Kovalev+new yr for coach
5-Toronto->1 yr older+Belfour's back, all team injury prob.
6-New Jersey->Stevens Gone,same spot as last year
7-Boston->Find a way to stay in. Lost Murray,Knuble and other good players
8-Florida->Luongo + good coaching will carry them
-----------------
9-Buffalo
10-Atlanta
11-Islanders
12-Rangers
13-Pittsburgh
14-Carolina
15-Washington

The 4th spot could go to Toronto as well, it will be a fight until the end for home ice advantage. I don't see how New Jersey gets better if they lost their best defenseman. Habs with Bonk+Kovalev+hopefully healthy Koivu for all 82 G then we can really make it 4th.

The IMPORTANT thing is:

Toronto @ Montreal .......SERIES!

Old
08-08-2004, 12:19 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
8.Florida

9.Islanders
10.Buffalo
11.Atlanta
I was thinking the same thing about your top 7. In which order I really don't know but if I had to bet my life on it it's probably what I'd come up with too.

But as I said in another thread I just can't see Florida making it this season. Their defense is just way too atrocious. I think it will be a dogfight between the Isles, Sabres and Thrashers for the 8th spot. With the Isles ultimately winning the battle. Scatchard and Yashin had a lot of injury problems last season, with Hunter and Dipietro a year older, no major loss in their roster, I see them in the playoffs.

The thrashers have upgraded their blueline this summer which should greatly help Lethonen in having a succesful rookie season (the kid is awesome) and with hopefully a healthy Heatley and Savard they will look much better than last season.

Buffalo is a young and upcoming team but I'm still scared by the size of their forwards and the lack of grit up front. Their blueline and goaltending is also bottom half so I'd be surprised of seeing them in the playoffs next season.

If I had to guess I'd say:

8. Isles
9. Thrashers
10. Sabres
11. Panthers

With the Canes, Pens, Caps and Rags battling for the last 4 spots.

Old
08-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Squeaky

I think many of you are underestimating Boston for next season, thought I understand why. They are dumping a lot in terms of forwards, but many of them were underperforming. Murray is the only guy who was actually producing like he should who I think they'll let go without replacing. The rest I figure they'll replace with UFAs or maybe a trade or two. You also have to remember they they'll have Gonchar around for a whole season next year instead of just after the deadline. Gonchar is a huge addition to any team. He instantly turns your powerplay into something good, reagardless of who else is around. I think Gonchar is a huge addition for them, and he should help a bunch.

Then you have to remember who Boston are keeping around. For Boston everything starts with Thornton. He'll still be there, so their top line will still be there. Thorton is undervalued right now I think, due to his crappy play in the playoffs last season. Thornton makes a line in my books, he'll make any wingers look good. He's still just as much a superstar as ever. I think he was hurt really bad in the playoffs last year, and probably should not have been playing. Then you've got Bergeron, who should only get better. As much as I hate him, I have to admit that he's got great potential as a hockey player. Next comes Raycroft, who looked so damn good last season. If he falls apart, it's all over for Boston, but I think he can keep it together.

So if I sit back and actually take a look at their team, and not what is leaving their team, I see a good top line thanks to Thornton, a good powerplay, and top pairing D thanks to Gonchar, and great goaltending from Raycroft. Put all of those things together, and I can't see them missing the playoffs next year. They probably won't break 100 points again, but I think they should be good for 90 or so, at least.

Old
08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Hab-a-maniac

I think at this point, it would be:
1. Tampa Bay (105-110 pts.)
2. Ottawa (100-105 pts.)
3. Philadelphia (100-105 pts.)
4. New Jersey (95-100 pts.)
5. Toronto (95-100 pts.)
6. Montreal (95-100 pts.)
7. Boston (90-95 pts.)
8. Atlanta (90-95 pts.)

9. Buffalo (85-90 pts.)
10. NY Islanders (80-85 pts.)
11. Florida (80-85 pts.)
12. Carolina (75-80 pts.)
13. NY Rangers (65-70 pts.)
14. Pittsburgh (65-70 pts.)
15. Washington (55-60 pts.)

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 08-08-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old
08-08-2004, 07:42 AM
eddy

North East is quite strong, 4 of the 5 made the playoffs and Buffalo wasn't far behind. I think Toronto is good but ageing, Boston was just stupid and they lost a lot of good players and now thornton wants out, Buffalo is young and not bad, and Ottawa is strong as always. If we sign Kovalev I think we'll have a great team and could do alot better then the Habs have done in recent times, the top line is strong, 2nd line is offencive and young, I love the new 3rd line best it's been in a while and the fourth is full of high energy guys. Defence is solid and we have jose Theodore in goal. I really like the team they've put together for next season i'm excited to see how they do. As for predictions of where we'll end up i'd say it's just between 2 and 3 in the NE, don't see us getting ahead of Ottawa, leafs are strong but there so damn old which comes with injuries, they may not do so well, which would put us in 2nd but theres no telling. I don't think Boston is much of threat anymore they fell apart fast and I think Buffalo is us of a couple years ago young, rebuilding, good goaltending they'll end up 8th in the conference or somthing like that. All in all i see habs 2 or 3 in NE and at best 4th in conference but i'm betting on 5th or 6th if all goes well and theres no disaters, i.e. Theodore getting injured or somthing of that nature.

Last edited by eddy: 08-08-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old
08-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I still find it too early to make a believable prediction. We have no idea what Boston's team will look like. I can easily see predictions like Forecaster's coming true, with us out of the playoffs. I can just as easily see us making it in. Meanwhile, there is the very real prospect of there being no hockey at all next year. Which ought to help us gain ground on the Leafs for 2005-06, anyway.

It's all up in the air right now, and it might not all come down for a very long time, so I'm not worried about the specifics. In general, we know we're on the right track, and management seems to be doing all the right things to take us closer and closer to contention, so whether we think we can be 2nd or 5th in the NE, or whether we are in or out of the playoffs, at this point in extreme conjecture, it doesn't get me too excited.

Old
08-08-2004, 09:10 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²

8. Isles
9. Thrashers
10. Sabres
11. Panthers

It's pretty obvious that there will be a real dog fight between those 4 teams, and maybe even the habs & Boston for that 8th spot.

In my book, Isles, Thrashers, Sabres and Panthers are very equal.

Isles are talented at the offence and blueline but a little weak yet in goals.
Thrashers have 2 good offensive lines filled with superstars. Or at least 3.
Sabres are always tough to beat and Ruff is a good coach for this kind of team.
Panthers, leaded by J.Martin, could become as good as Ottawa in 2-3-4 years.

Old
08-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Imo

Personally, I think that Montreal has a good chance of making it, but if we just rely on our players then yes, the forecaster will be right. But the fact of the matter is, that Montreal hasn't been about the skill of one player over another, they're about a solid system and hard work.

I also think that a lot of people are writing off Toronto as being old for no good reason, fact of the matter is, they've been able to trade up, and pick up good players every year to keep themselves in contention.

I personally think that NJ will be looking at a tough year this year, they're pretty much where the Habs are except they're on the decline. I think that its all going to be on their goalie and if Brodeur gets injured for any lenght of time they're done.

Atlanta will be a major suprise this year I wouldn't be suprised to see then challenging for 8th spot this year. They've got a bunch of skilled young players that can really push.

Tampa should be a shaker and a mover again this year if they can keep the chemistry going. The X-factor for them is their coach if the players start fighting him the way Lecavalier was last year it could be a full rout for them this year...but all in all they should end up first or second overall.

As for Ottawa, well I think that they shot themselves in the foot with the whole Dominator grab. If he stays healthy and IF he comes back to form and IF his age doesn't slow him down and IF he can have his mental game back; then they might have a first rate goaltender...Those are all really big ifs. And on top of that they traded away Bonk for almost nothing. I have a feeling this is going to be the most boneheaded off season move since Montreal traded John LeClair away for nothing out of sheer overconfidence.

As for everyone else...well I can't honestly comment on those teams as I haven't watched them enough. Lets all hope our Habs can make good this year. I'm hoping for a 6th or 7th finish this year.

Closed Thread