HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Alex Burrows Overrated?

Old
08-06-2011, 01:15 AM
whoshouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
Really? How? Because were deep in every position and have every tool required to go far.

Unlike your team who has Luongo, an overpayed mentally weak goaltender, and the Sedin Twins two guys who dissapear when it matters most.
How did I know this was a troll thread..

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The Sedins could use a bigger body with a little higher skillset but in the cap world, he serves his purpose on that line. Being a 30+ goal scorer is nothing to sneeze at either.
Burrows is not a legit 30 goal scorer, he is a guy who scored 30 goals once, and ya 28 twice with two of the most consistent producers in the league today.

He is overrated if you think that he is a legit 1st line player.

Burrows is a very useful player but sometimes he reads the hype and forgets all the hard work and agitation that brought him to the NHL in the 1st place.

also his playoff performances have been inconsistent and not all that great if you look at the whole picture.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:26 AM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
How did I know this was a troll thread..

It's not? But how is a great team like the Sabres overrated?

SabresFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:27 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If overrated is somehow a code for has a taste for human flesh, then yes
I hate you but I laughed.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:30 AM
tesplen

Overrated offensively, but underrated defensively. Kesler might have won the Selke, but I think Burrows is actually the better two-way player on the team.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:33 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
Overrated offensively, but underrated defensively. Kesler might have won the Selke, but I think Burrows is actually the better two-way player on the team.
This just simply isn't the case. The only possible way you could construe that to be the case is the fact that Burrows doesn't play against the other team's biggest offensive threats.

In fact, he's usually playing against the shutdown line of the opposing team.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Really? How? Because were deep in every position and have every tool required to go far.

Unlike your team who has Luongo, an overpayed mentally weak goaltender, and the Sedin Twins two guys who dissapear when it matters most.
Yeah I mean it's not like that Mentally weak goaltender and and the twins that disappear took there team to game 7 to the Cup Finals this year (The Sabres haven't been that close to a cup in franchise history) You're a joke if you think the Sabres are better than the Canucks.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Stephen

Quote:

Seriously?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:35 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

the Sedins were both great in the conference finals... and together with Luongo (who was also solid in the conference finals), they made it to the finals, and to game 7 of the finals. Buffalo may be deep in every position and have every tool required to go "far" ... but the Canucks proved their were deep and did actually go far. I'd wait till Buffalo actually goes as far before throwing insults at a team that just did.

When have the players on the Sabres, including Miller, last made it that far? I find it hilarious when fans of teams who didn't come close to making it as far as the Canucks, in any recent year, sit there and call the Canucks chokers and how the Sedins disappear, etc. And btw, Luongo - the "overpaid" goalie with a cap hit almost $1mill *less* than Miller - the goalie with worse goalie stats all around, who has won 0 playoff rounds in 4 years.

It's been 4 years since Miller has made it past the first round... never made it to the finals. And no one on the Sabres has had anywhere near the playoff success that the "invisible" Sedins had this season.

Great you think you have every tool required to go far... but until you actually do, maybe you shouldn't throw insults at a team that *has* actually gone "far," nor players that have outperformed your guys in recent playoffs.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:37 AM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

He's a good player in his own right, but his stats get inflated because of his current linemates. Put any sort of power forward in his spot and they'd flourish as similar. Put Burrows on another line and the results wouldn't be as fantastic as they are.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
the Sedins were both great in the conference finals... and together with Luongo (who was also solid in the conference finals), they made it to the finals, and to game 7 of the finals. Buffalo may be deep in every position and have every tool required to go "far" ... but the Canucks proved their were deep and did actually go far. I'd wait till Buffalo actually goes as far before throwing insults at a team that just did.

When have the players on the Sabres, including Miller, last made it that far? I find it hilarious when fans of teams who didn't come close to making it as far as the Canucks, in any recent year, sit there and call the Canucks chokers and how the Sedins disappear, etc. And btw, Luongo - the "overpaid" goalie with a cap hit almost $1mill *less* than Miller - the goalie with worse goalie stats all around, who has won 0 playoff rounds in 4 years.

It's been 4 years since Miller has made it past the first round... never made it to the finals. And no one on the Sabres has had anywhere near the playoff success that the "invisible" Sedins had this season.

Great you think you have every tool required to go far... but until you actually do, maybe you shouldn't throw insults at a team that *has* actually gone "far," nor players that have outperformed your guys in recent playoffs.
Once again NFITO nails it!

Old
08-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders0n74 View Post
He's a good player in his own right, but his stats get inflated because of his current linemates. Put any sort of power forward in his spot and they'd flourish as similar. Put Burrows on another line and the results wouldn't be as fantastic as they are.
That's not correct seeing as when Burrows plays with Kesler he scores at a similar pace.

Old
08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
SabresFan44

The reason I made this thread is I read a Canuck fan saying he'd keep Alex Burrows in a potential trade for Jason Pomiinville straight up!

LMFAO.

Pominville llike Burrows can get it done in both seasons and is 30 goal scorer, a better set up man, plays on the 2nd line not the 1st, doesen't need the Sedin Twins. Pominviille is a better all around player them Burrows so when I read that I had to ask fans of the league what they thought of one Alexandre Burrows. If he is overrated? (Both guys got awesome Playoff OT Goals to eliminate a team) Well when compared to Jason Pominville he is extremely overrated.

Old
08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

By some of the folks in his team's fan base, sure. But he is a pretty solid player. As for his cap hit, that always cracks me up. Kesler made a huge stink about cap hits and taking a little less and then didn't when he should have. I bet if Burrows could do it again and Kesler didn't babble on about that, things would be a bit different.

In any case, he's physical, a solid 2-way player and he can fit on any line with the Canucks. A part of me wonders if he would be as effective on other teams, some players just fit so well with 1 team that they disappear with others. I think Burrows is like that, he's found a great home with the Canucks, they love him and he loves them.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

The buffalo guy is probably overstating things but the gap between the Sabres and Canucks will be much smaller than the 31 points it was last year with the Canucks falling and Sabres rising. my bet is that it's a 13 point difference and maybe even less at this point.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner Coffee View Post
It depends who's rating him...

That was seriously the biggest goal in Canucks history? ****
0 cups. Could be actually considering we havent won ****.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:43 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:43 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

Miller is much more mentally weak than Luongo.

Old
08-06-2011, 01:44 AM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Seriously?

Hmmm...3rd in goals for last year in the East without Roy and Poms. Now we have added Leino, Ehrhoff and both of them while our young guys get better.

All Star Coaching.

All Star Goaltending.

Our top 4 D Men are

Myers-Regehr
Ehrhroff-Leopold

So Where exactly do we need help?

Old
08-06-2011, 01:45 AM
SabresFan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Again where do we need help?

Old
08-06-2011, 01:46 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:

The reason I made this thread is I read a Canuck fan saying he'd keep Alex Burrows in a potential trade for Jason Pomiinville straight up!

LMFAO.

Pominville llike Burrows can get it done in both seasons and is 30 goal scorer, a better set up man, plays on the 2nd line not the 1st, doesen't need the Sedin Twins. Pominviille is a better all around player them Burrows so when I read that I had to ask fans of the league what they thought of one Alexandre Burrows. If he is overrated? (Both guys got awesome Playoff OT Goals to eliminate a team) Well when compared to Jason Pominville he is extremely overrated.
Burrows is a known asset, as in they know what they are getting with him in their line up in any situation. Who is to say Pominville fits as well as Burrows does? I bet when Heatley was traded to San Jose, people were like "60-70 goals man! he can do it with Joe Thornton! 90 assist guy!"...well boy were they wrong.

There is something to be said about chemistry, you can't force it, Burrows has that in spades with his current team. Why would they move him with his cap hit and his versatility in that line-up as well as chemistry and very solid production for a player that might not fit as well and is a higher cap hit?

Old
08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

LMFAO.

So you made a troll thread then..... LOL

Burrows HAS gotten it done in the playoffs. Pominville hasnt. I'd never take Pominville over burrows.

You can keep that overrated (by sabres fans) team in "hockey heaven". They havent proven anything except that Ryan Miller can be outduelled by 3 backups.

Old
OnlyTheBrave*

Buffalo and this magical potential, Sabresfan44...you never cease to amaze me. You will die arguing that Miller is god even if he never takes his team to the SCF while the goaltenders and teams you despise, do and actually win.

Old
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Miller is much more mentally weak than Luongo.
Umm, no.

Luongo gets this frantic look in his eyes that I don't know if I've ever seen in any other professional athlete. You can see the panic and anxiety all over his face and then you just know; he's letting in about 7 goals.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:48 AM
SabresFan44

Quote:

Um in 2006 you may remember we played without 4 of our regular 6 D against Carolina and lost Game 7 4-2 because of it. We surely would of gone on to face the Oilers and probably beat them.