HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob McCown - "Three current Winnipeg Jets players want out"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2011, 12:19 AM
  #51
The Fat Kid
1999-2011
 
The Fat Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
You sound like you really hope this to be true. If this were about someone saying or on this case, "potentially" saying something bad about Atlanta, would you support it as well?
sorry if i sounded like i wanted guys out but that's not it at all. for all purposes this is still "my" team, the team i will be following/watching every damn game come sept/oct (provided i can find a stream)

if a guy really wants out then i'd like him gone. i'm not gonna speak bad about him because he wanted out, he has his own reasoning.

if a player comes out and says atlanta/winnipeg is a ****hole city full of ****** bags then i may have issues... i'd mostly assume he's probably hanging out in the wrong part of town because i'm no ****** bag.

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
  #52
The Fat Kid
1999-2011
 
The Fat Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Honestly, what I said was a little harsh (Thanks PensFan for keeping me real). However, I have heard people bash MY city for years and years and I am sick of it.



/rant

Welcome to the club my friend. i guess we're all ******* children now. it seems as though 1/3rd of NHL fans think hockey doesn't even belong in the south east US


Last edited by The Fat Kid: 08-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.
The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:50 AM
  #53
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote
 
Winnipeg Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: England
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
I don't know who Bob McCown is, but from what he's said and the responses I'm assuming it's someone I really shouldn't care about.
Think of a fat, old, Jim Rome, who wears glasses indoors, and thinks that Toronto and its teams are a gift from the heavens.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 01:36 AM
  #54
Jets4Life
Registered User
 
Jets4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Just for laughs, who could these players be?

-not Ladd or Wheeler, both just re-signed with us.
-not Kane, Mason, Byfuglien, Pavelec, Enstrom, Stapleton, Burmistrov, Slater, Hainsey or Cormier, who have all publicly commented positively/favorably to the prospect of playing in Winnipeg.
-not Fehr or Gregoire, because they're Winnipeggers.

That leaves Bogosian (hasn't re-signed yet), Oduya (hasn't played well since he left New Jersey), Antropov, Stuart, Thorburn and prospects.
I follow Stuart on his twitter account. He not only has mentioned to a friend "well haven't settled in yet. Still searching for a place. But hopefully soon!" He also has the Jets logo on his profile pic, so I would assume it's a safe bet he will be a Jet this year. I just hope Bogosian signs with us.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:42 AM
  #55
PostmanPat1919
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
I actually listened to the segment where McCown made this "three players want out" claim. He said that he had "first hand knowledge" of these three players "actively seeking other options". Within pretty much the same breath (he almost forgot the team name of the Atlanta Thrashers) he noted that there was "no where to live" for hockey players in Winnipeg. Elliotte Friedman in particular didn't seem to buy this. Shannon and Jones didn't touch on the subject.

Here's a link. The section in question begins just before the 27:00 mark.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...08-05-5-pm.mp3

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:47 AM
  #56
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
"Nowhere to live"? How about that $6M California-style bungalow in River Heights? Or that nearly $5M place on River Road? Guess they aren't discerning enough properties. That, or McCown has some, uh, bad information.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 03:55 AM
  #57
PostmanPat1919
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't think accuracy was a major concern of McCown's with this bit.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:52 AM
  #58
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
BTW, finding upscale housing for over 20 players and coaches is hard in Winnipeg. These guys are not looking for three bedroom bungalows. In the States there are oodles of bank repos everywhere and it is easy.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
  #59
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500


Hope the popcorn lasts all season.
Camp hasn't even opened, haven't lost any games giving up 40 or 50 shots on goal, no 5-game losing streaks, haven't even missed the playoffs once, let alone 10 years.....

This could get interesting over the months if the fact that rumors can stir such ill will towards the new franchise heroes. What's going to happen when people feel robbed of season ticket money?

My guess is Antro, Bogo, and Oduya want out for different reasons.

Antro is a quiet family man that is nearing the end of his career. He went to Atlanta because of Kovalchuk and the city's anonimity towards his family, unlike Toronto or New York.

Bogo wants something, but who knows what? He's shown to be a mess, to put it politely.

Oduya probably sees the writing on the wall that he isn't going to be relied on in Wpg.

Those would be my guesses. Blaming "housing" just deflects the bigger problems.


Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 08-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:15 AM
  #60
BrianL*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
My guess is Antro, Bogo, and Oduya want out for different reasons.
Curiously, those were the three that immediately popped into my head as well. Maybe we could work out a package deal with New Jersey. Antro gets his buddy back, Oduya seemed to play well there and Bogo is closer to home.

Travis Zajac in the mix, perhaps?

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:28 AM
  #61
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLhockey437 View Post
Thats a really harsh and classless thing to say, especially as a moderator. All over a bunch of rumors and your wishing that potentially some players on your team now to go to hell? Just be glad you at least have a team. Even if this was true, last time I checked, it wasn't in these players power about the move so I guess lets send them to the gates of hell for not being the most excited about it.
Well, considering I don't believe a word of what was said (if you read my post you will see I am pretty clear about that), I am not actually telling anyone to go anywhere.

Being a moderator does not preclude me from having an opinion (a strong one at times) or being a defender and patriotic citizen of the city I love.

Of course, if you believe I crossed the line, you are free to report my post. I am bound by the rules and regs of HF boards just as anyone else.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
  #62
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
Think of a fat, old, Jim Rome, who wears glasses indoors, and thinks that Toronto and its teams are a gift from the heavens.
lol, you likely don't listen often, he's especially hateful and hard on the Toronto teams. Mccown is pretty plugged in, he's a bit of a tool but he definitely knows people, especially on the sports business side and his show is a good listen a lot of the time because they get A+ guests (and I like Brunt).

I live in Winnipeg (and like it to a reasonable degree) but fans need to calm down with their defensiveness, not just on here but around the city. I guarantee there is/will be players who don't want to live in Winnipeg, just as there are players who don't want to play in every city in the league. The fact that a handful of players potentially are upset about a forced move to another city isn't really surprising, if true.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:52 AM
  #63
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post


Hope the popcorn lasts all season.
Camp hasn't even opened, haven't lost any games giving up 40 or 50 shots on goal, no 5-game losing streaks, haven't even missed the playoffs once, let alone 10 years.....

This could get interesting over the months if the fact that rumors can stir such ill will towards the new franchise heroes. What's going to happen when people feel robbed of season ticket money?

My guess is Antro, Bogo, and Oduya want out for different reasons.

Antro is a quiet family man that is nearing the end of his career. He went to Atlanta because of Kovalchuk and the city's anonimity towards his family, unlike Toronto or New York.

Bogo wants something, but who knows what? He's shown to be a mess, to put it politely.

Oduya probably sees the writing on the wall that he isn't going to be relied on in Wpg.

Those would be my guesses. Blaming "housing" just deflects the bigger problems.
Welcome to a Canadian market I'm assuming here (forgive me if I am incorrect) that you are from Atlanta. Go visit any of the other Canadian team's forums. We are insane about hockey, and our home towns. There are going to be plenty of moments of insanity here.

It won't take long for the glow of having a team back wears off and we are being hypercritical of everyone and everything to do with this team.

Don't worry, Jets fans are EXTREMELY familiar with losing.

My only regret from my comments yesterday is that I was perhaps a little bit harsh. I am fiercely protective of Winnipeg and that will NEVER change. I've travelled all over North America, have lived in several other cities and know where this town stacks up.

The people who really annoy me are people who comment without any REAL knowledge of this place. The player comment was meant to convey that anyone who is so simple minded as to reject somewhere out of hand without even knowing anything about it can take a hike afaic.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:57 AM
  #64
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I've never been a fan of McCown. He just annoys me to listen to/watch.

Seriously though, take off the ****ing sunglasses indoors you tool.
The bobcat wears the shades because he has a pronounced light sensitivity in his right eye and wearing a dark monocle would be singularily pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
chris thorburn has a home in atlanta and probably, other than boulton, was the most "out-and-about" Thrasher around the city.

it wouldn't surprise me if he's still a little cross having to move across the continent, but then again, he's a good guy.

I don't know who Bob McCown is, but from what he's said and the responses I'm assuming it's someone I really shouldn't care about.
McCown is Canada's foremost radio talkshow guy, he is highly opinionated and because of this is polarizing, baseball is his first love followed by hockey. He is highly critical of the NHL and it's business practices as well as the current direction of the league in general. IMHO he is a very bright guy, his contacts go from amateur scouts to owners of pro sports franchises and not just a few agents as someone suggested.

have a listen yourself before you take the word of a lot of people who are currently peeved at something he said recently

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan59...08-05-5-pm.mp3

You may also wish to read his book "McCown's Law: The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments," which if you're a hockey fan is highly inforamtive and almost a must read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
Think of a fat, old, Jim Rome, who wears glasses indoors, and thinks that Toronto and its teams are a gift from the heavens.
actually he is highly critical of the TMLHC and MLS&E in general, he does however love the Blue Jays.........you should give him a real listen sometime and not just on hockey talk, the way his guests speak to him, other than Doug MacLean and Gary Bettman it is always with respect and always open and jovial.

therealkoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
  #65
Primetimey
Registered User
 
Primetimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,857
vCash: 83
These players don't want 4-5-6 million dollar mansions. Not sure why people are concerned about "upscale" housing. Remember, this team is full of players under the age of thirty and they are millionaires but not making eight million a year. $500,000 - $850,000 condos would be more to their liking.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:26 AM
  #66
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
These players don't want 4-5-6 million dollar mansions. Not sure why people are concerned about "upscale" housing. Remember, this team is full of players under the age of thirty and they are millionaires but not making eight million a year. $500,000 - $850,000 condos would be more to their liking.
I think the problem is the upscale furnished apartments that the young players are looking for. That market is very competitive here. I've heard that my building had enquiries from the Jets about the furnished suites here (those are more likely for call ups, etc).

For young, single guys just starting to get paid, and not planning on living in Winnipeg year round, buying property probably is not in the cards yet.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:35 AM
  #67
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
The bobcat wears the shades because he has a pronounced light sensitivity in his right eye and wearing a dark monocle would be singularily pretentious
If that is indeed the case I certainly take back my comment regarding him. I honestly just thought it was something he did to boost his ego even more. I still think he's a bit of a goof but that's just me, consider it personal taste in regards to tv/radio if you will.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=141082  3903
"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
  #68
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
The bobcat wears the shades because he has a pronounced light sensitivity in his right eye and wearing a dark monocle would be singularily pretentious



McCown is Canada's foremost radio talkshow guy, he is highly opinionated and because of this is polarizing, baseball is his first love followed by hockey. He is highly critical of the NHL and it's business practices as well as the current direction of the league in general. IMHO he is a very bright guy, his contacts go from amateur scouts to owners of pro sports franchises and not just a few agents as someone suggested.

have a listen yourself before you take the word of a lot of people who are currently peeved at something he said recently

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan59...08-05-5-pm.mp3

You may also wish to read his book "McCown's Law: The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments," which if you're a hockey fan is highly inforamtive and almost a must read



actually he is highly critical of the TMLHC and MLS&E in general, he does however love the Blue Jays.........you should give him a real listen sometime and not just on hockey talk, the way his guests speak to him, other than Doug MacLean and Gary Bettman it is always with respect and always open and jovial.
Let me be the first to welcome Bob McCown's agent, therealkoho, to our Winnipeg forum.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  #69
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Hi, I'm Bob McCown, I want ratings. I'll say any damn vague thing I want to get people to tune in or visit our website. Sports 'journalism' used to be taken as seriously as news. It has now sunken to a depth so vile I can't even stand it. I wouldn't give this meathead the time of day, or a buoy if he was drowning in Lake Ontario.

Garbage like this seriously pisses me off because you know what? Now we will have a 40 page thread on how no one wants to come to the cesspool known as Winnipeg based on nothing but the baseless musings of some moron, and in the end, McCown gets what he wants - people talking about him and more exposure.

Here is where you are wrong. Do you know what the fan 590 ratings are and his show in particular are in Canada? Many dislike Mcown, but don't kid yourself he is very well connected in certain circles. Whether it be Beeston, Gillick, Cinnamon, Burke, and some owners in the NHL, and executives in MLB. I'm not suggesting what he said was correct, but what I will debate is that it is was certainlly not an attempt at ratings and like him or not, he does have legit contacts in high places in the world of sports.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:11 PM
  #70
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 1580
This was likely going to happen, and to be honest it's no surprise. You don't often see teams move cities so there's bound to be a couple of people on the roster who might want out for whatever reason, be it organizational or something else. If a trade can be worked out for these supposed players then that is the route that should be taken. It would be best to have guys that want to play for your organization and give a full effort.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
  #71
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Let me be the first to welcome Bob McCown's agent, therealkoho, to our Winnipeg forum.
.....nah not really just trying to keep it real brother

I don't think the bobcat is the end all and be all, but he's hardly the partisan moron some of these folks are trying to make him out to be. He's smart and has a great wit and I think a few of the younger peeps that listen to him miss a lot of the nuance in his contentiousness.

How do I know he's not a moron, because if you look up moron in the dictionary you'll see these two pictures




therealkoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:34 PM
  #72
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I don't think the bobcat is the end all and be all, but he's hardly the partisan moron some of these folks are trying to make him out to be. He's smart and has a great wit and I think a few of the younger peeps that listen to him miss a lot of the nuance in his contentiousness.

How do I know he's not a moron, because if you look up moron in the dictionary you'll see these two pictures
Bob McCown dresses most of the time as if he is headed out for a night at the disco in Miami... in 1982. That should invalidate pretty much all that he says, or at least it should. He excels at the all sports format because a tacit knowledge of any individual sports in not required when discussing them in such an ancillary fashion.

I'm actually thinking of changing my username to BobMcCown'sHairpiece.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
  #73
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 571
A few weeks ago he mentioned that he found he was getting headaches in the studio but didn't know the cause. One day he accidentally forgot to take off his sunglasses, and found he didn't have a headache, so he's worn them ever since.

not to hijack this thread, but is there a list of twitter account names for jets players ?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  #74
jamwires
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
does Heatley want out of Minnesota yet?

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
  #75
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 571
I've thrown those 3 names in the trade proposal thread as a package deal...let's see what others would offer from their teams to get them.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.