Bob McCown - "Three current Winnipeg Jets players want out"

Old
08-07-2011, 01:38 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
I was in Winnipeg this past weekend, nothings changed...still the same as how I remember it. Your choice if you want to live there, no one is stopping you from doing so.
err....really?.....what is your time of reference?....hasn't changed since last week?

if it is longer than a couple of years, i would seriously beg to differ.

doesnt surprise me at all that there are a few players who dont want to move to winnipeg....im sure there were lots who didnt want to go to atlanta either....its just the way it has always been and always will be....its a matter of personal preference....some will want to be treated like rock stars, some will want to golf on their days off.

i just hope we get good value sending whoever these guys are packing....as far as i can tell, the important pieces on this team have been signed, so whoever is bellyaching can be replaced if need be.

if it is any of the three being mentioned, i certainly wont lose sleep over it...just make sure the trades are at least even.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:39 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Leafs wouldn't trade Kadri or a first for Antropov.

Bogosian for a proven, young 50 point defenseman.. is something Phoenix would not consider.

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Relax man.

It's simply someone's opinion and at often times Tox goes a little overboard.

Doesn't mean it's true, doesn't mean it isn't. At this point these are simply OUR thoughts of what these guys could be thinking. I can guarantee you the families are the ones most upset by this, simply because they're the ones that have to move their whole lives, especially those with children. Again it's a small price to pay for living a life of luxury, but it's still an aggravation to anyone.

The players on the other hand, we can speculate all we like as well as the media but that's all it is. No player (other than perhaps Bryzgalov) is going to come out and say he hates this and won't play here and wants to be traded blah blah blah.

So who really cares who wants to play here and who doesn't, fact remains if you want out and are on contract you're going to have to work your way out. Last I checked the professional sports market is pretty tough and performance is highly touted.

Now this is just my opinion obviously, but it's how I treat the situation.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:48 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac1313 View Post

2) Antropov.....we'll take Kadri and a 1st...thank you Brian

.........?

No but seriously, Bob Mccown is a total ******. Don't let him crawl under your skin ladies and gents. Seriously the man wears sunglasses inside, that alone should give you a sign of his trustworthyness.

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:54 AM
TroubaFan1

Bob is entertaining to listen to IMO. But in saying that he does make some pretty ridiculous statements i.e. Crosby was going to retire last year and Thompson wants to purchase MLSE. He just looks like a stoner who has a really laid back sports talk show that I enjoy.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Jet
Big Ben

vCash: 50
Quote:
I was in Winnipeg this past weekend, nothings changed...still the same as how I remember it. Your choice if you want to live there, no one is stopping you from doing so.
I lived in Surrey and can tell you for sure it's no contest for me. I'd live here over there any day of the week. I won't get into specifics because I don't want this to be about here vs. there but my reasons are varied and plentiful.

If you were here for a weekend, you missed what is happening in this city. It really is stunning. Development, attitude, growth. This city is going through a renaissance, especially downtown.

08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Relax man.

It's simply someone's opinion and at often times Tox goes a little overboard.

Doesn't mean it's true, doesn't mean it isn't. At this point these are simply OUR thoughts of what these guys could be thinking. I can guarantee you the families are the ones most upset by this, simply because they're the ones that have to move their whole lives, especially those with children. Again it's a small price to pay for living a life of luxury, but it's still an aggravation to anyone.

The players on the other hand, we can speculate all we like as well as the media but that's all it is. No player (other than perhaps Bryzgalov) is going to come out and say he hates this and won't play here and wants to be traded blah blah blah.

So who really cares who wants to play here and who doesn't, fact remains if you want out and are on contract you're going to have to work your way out. Last I checked the professional sports market is pretty tough and performance is highly touted.

Now this is just my opinion obviously, but it's how I treat the situation.
Thanks for having my back. Just trying to fill in the blanks, speculation grounded upon direct quotes from the players, and from seeing how they are in person of the ice, and the Bogosian thing comes from that there was a brief official blog posting that Bogo had problems with motion sickness when travelling. In many cases this has led to "self medicating" from hockey players that hurt their career. Didn't make it up.

I don't think we have any Pronger/Edmonton situations here at all, except perhaps from Mrs. Antropov. She's a little fashionista.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Fulgur View Post
Fact: the overwhelming majority of The Jets roster is thrilled that they are in Winnipeg, especially since they've been playing in front of small crowds for the past three seasons thanks to the incompetence of Atlanta Spirit.

Fact: there are some guys that did not fit in with Atlanta, and are still "square pegs" (get it???) in Winnipeg. This is not a reflection upon Winnipeg - this is a reflection upon what these players want to achieve.

1.) Bogosian has homesickness and travel sickness issues. He ideally wants to play for a NY team or MTL/OTT/TOR/BOS. Ottawa is closest to his home.

2.) Antropov and his family especially will want to be in a large US city. There could be opportunities in the NY area teams.

3.) Oduya has no future in the organization, and would love to get a chance playing in the top four again if the opportunity is available.

In all of these cases, it has nothing to do with the players actively disliking Winnipeg; although I would say that the type of neighborhood that they lived in as a Thrasher cannot be found in Winnipeg ( most of them were in warm, lush, gated communities on a golf course).
I was with you for MOST of your thread up until this point. There are plenty of beautiful neighborhoods on lush golf courses in this city. Of course, it's cold here during hockey season but personally I don't want the players on my team working on their golf game during the season anyways.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Jets2011

Quote:
Feel free to never come back. We don't need you.

Jets2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
Well we know it isn't Wheeler, he just tweeted:

BiggieFunke Blake Wheeler
Driving back to Minneapolis with my man Stapes. Can't wait to get back up in Winnipeg #hiddengem

Primetimey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
I have less of an issue with this post than most.....maybe you have to live here full time to get it and or feel it....there is a reason some people chose to relocate from our fair city and as you said nobody is stopping you

Also there will be many wives and families that might not be pumped with the move to Winnipeg, Detroit, or NY for that matter, and there will some that love it....that will be Chevy and TNSE's job to sort out.

I am happy with our town's progress and if TNSE sets the culture they will be able to attract talent

These are the salad days......not everyone's cup of tea I am sure and I am totally cool with that

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 800
Someone always wants out, no matter what team/city.

One would hope that these people/families who earn more in one year than the average fan who pays their way do in 20ish years of actual working, would at least give the new environment a chance though.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Well we know it isn't Wheeler, he just tweeted:

BiggieFunke Blake Wheeler
Driving back to Minneapolis with my man Stapes. Can't wait to get back up in Winnipeg #hiddengem
He had been asked on his tweets where the good steak houses in Winnipeg were. Sure sounds like he had been here for the weekend or a bit longer.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I have less of an issue with this post than most.....maybe you have to live here full time to get it and or feel it....there is a reason some people chose to relocate from our fair city and as you said nobody is stopping you

Also there will be many wives and families that might not be pumped with the move to Winnipeg, Detroit, or NY for that matter, and there will some that love it....that will be Chevy and TNSE's job to sort out.

I am happy with our town's progress and if TNSE sets the culture they will be able to attract talent

These are the salad days......not everyone's cup of tea I am sure and I am totally cool with that
+1

Many visitors to the city are unfortunately left with an impression of the drive from the airport to downtown via Portage Ave, especially if they are just here on business. They don't see the Forks and the condo village springing up near the baseball stadium. The don't get (or bother) to take a stroll down Broadway or check out the rooftop patio at Tavern. They don't see any of the high end housing available on Wellington, or in Tuxedo, Lindenwoods, or along the river between Headingly & the Perimeter Hwy. They don't visit any of the incredible golf courses found within the city limits or just outside the city.

OT, but I just played Bridges again the other day. Love that course!

Anyone that dismisses Winnipeg has obviously never been to any of the multitude of incredible lakes and beaches we have within a short drive of the city. Between Clear Lake, The Whiteshell, cottage country due north at the two lakes, Lake of the Woods, etc. We've a veritable wealth of summer goodness here.

Winnipeg and the surrounding area is a summer paradise and a winter wonderland. Sure it may get really cold for one month in the winter but the summers here more than make up for that.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 08-07-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Dude, I understand you have an opinion of the city, but you came across as an arrogant snob, typical of the lower mainland. Perhaps you could have just said "I'd prefer to live in the Surrey" and left the attitude at the door. You probably didn't mean it like that, but that is definately how you came across, and was deemed as a slam against the city.

And FYI, I've spent time in Surrey, and I'll take Winnipeg (hell, even Edmonton) over Surrey anyday.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
+1

Many visitors to the city are unfortunately left with an impression of the drive from the airport to downtown via Portage Ave, especially if they are just here on business. They don't see the Forks and the condo village springing up near the baseball stadium. The don't get (or bother) to take a stroll down Broadway or check out the rooftop patio at Tavern. They don't see any of the high end housing available on Wellington, or in Tuxedo, Lindenwoods, or along the river between Headingly & the Perimeter Hwy. They don't visit any of the incredible golf courses found within the city limits or just outside the city.

OT, but I just played Bridges again the other day. Love that course!

Anyone that dismisses Winnipeg has obviously never been to any of the multitude of incredible lakes and beaches we have within a short drive of the city. Between Clear Lake, The Whiteshell, cottage country due north at the two lakes, Lake of the Woods, etc. We've a veritable wealth of summer goodness here.

Winnipeg and the surrounding area is a summer paradise and a winter wonderland. Sure it may get really cold for one month in the winter but the summers here more than make up for that.
Cottages are fairly irrelevant. Most players go "home" in the off-season.

Winnipeg has its features. The other NHL cities have more. That's the way it is and forever shall be.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Dude, I understand you have an opinion of the city, but you came across as an arrogant snob, typical of the lower mainland. Perhaps you could have just said "I'd prefer to live in the Surrey" and left the attitude at the door. You probably didn't mean it like that, but that is definately how you came across, and was deemed as a slam against the city.

And FYI, I've spent time in Surrey, and I'll take Winnipeg (hell, even Edmonton) over Surrey anyday.
Not really a surprise, he trashes Winnipeg all the time.

On-topic, big whoop. There's always going to be some players who don't want to be in certain cities.

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Cottages are fairly irrelevant. Most players go "home" in the off-season.

Winnipeg has its features. The other NHL cities have more. That's the way it is and forever shall be.
Nice to see that Buffs cottage is about an hour and a half from Winnipeg.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Nice to see that Buffs cottage is about an hour and a half from Winnipeg.
If he got a cottage, great. By next year there will be 3 or 4 join him for the summer. The rest will go their home town and/or the wife's home town.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

I will be the first to admit, I wanted out if Winnipeg when I was 21...Moved to Alberta for college and still live here. 5 years have past and would truly love to move back to Winnipeg. What's holding me/family back is my career, it would be a huge paycut to start and being a rookie agian is not appealing to me. What I am trying to get at is Winnipeg is a gem of city and IMO is second to none. Winnipeg has lots to offer young people, ever time I go back its interesting to see how quickly it's growing. That being said I haven't even mentioned lakes/outdoors. Every year my wife and I have taken a week fishing trip in flin flon/Thompson. Trying finding a lake near Edmonton that isnt a zestpool slu. Anyways keep your head up Winnipeg and ignore the arrogant critics from elsewhere.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Curiously, those were the three that immediately popped into my head as well. Maybe we could work out a package deal with New Jersey. Antro gets his buddy back, Oduya seemed to play well there and Bogo is closer to home.

Travis Zajac in the mix, perhaps?
that package wouldn't come close to getting you zajac. he's much to valuable to the devils. it would take enstrom, kane, or little+ and obviously winnipeg wouldn't do any of those deals.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
that package wouldn't come close to getting you zajac. he's much to valuable to the devils. it would take enstrom, kane, or little+ and obviously winnipeg wouldn't do any of those deals.
I have to agree and disagree with you on this one. I agree that the Bogo, Antropov, Oduya package will not get Zajac. Antro and Oduya are actually a little bit of a drain on Bogo's value in a package (nothing against Antro and Oduya but adding all 3 in a package means that a team needs both the roster space and cap space for all 3).

I disagree with the Enstrom, Kane, and Little + part. If the player was Enstrom or Kane, it would be Zajac +. Little and Zajac are very similar players and considering that Little already has a 31 goal season under his belt, has played with lesser linemates over his career, and is 3 years younger than Zajac, I wouldn't trade Little for Zajac straight up right now.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I have to agree and disagree with you on this one. I agree that the Bogo, Antropov, Oduya package will not get Zajac. Antro and Oduya are actually a little bit of a drain on Bogo's value in a package (nothing against Antro and Oduya but adding all 3 in a package means that a team needs both the roster space and cap space for all 3).

I disagree with the Enstrom, Kane, and Little + part. If the player was Enstrom or Kane, it would be Zajac +. Little and Zajac are very similar players and considering that Little already has a 31 goal season under his belt, has played with lesser linemates over his career, and is 3 years younger than Zajac, I wouldn't trade Little for Zajac straight up right now.
I agree with nearly everything you stated. However, I would do Little for Zajac straight up. Being a devs fan for years I love his game. Hopefully Little proves me wrong tho.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

oh no question, in terms of who the better player is, zajac is lesser than enstrom and kane by a wide margin, and probably equal to little (they're very similar players, however little is probably a bit better offensively and zajac is a bit better defensively).

but as rough as winnipeg's organizational strength at center is lacking, new jersey's is even more. if they give up their best center, and one who is in his prime, they'll want another center back. it doesn't make much sense to trade zajac for little straight up for either team because of how similar they are. winnipeg would want a little added since little is younger and new jersey would want more because zajac is as good as he is defensively and that organization values defensive play as highly as he does (not saying little is bad defensively, he's winnipeg's best defensive forward, but zajac is just that much better).

a trade that would make more sense is burmistrov for zajac. if winnipeg thought they were close to competing, they might be willing to move burmi for a more proven player. the devils are in a mini rebuilding mode and so may be willing to move zajac for a player with the potential to be a bit better offensively. though i think even if winnipeg thought they could contend this year, they would likely want new jersey to add something to get burmi.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Zajac just isn't what Winnipeg needs.. they've already got Little who is/can be a good second liner, same with Burmistrov. They need a #1.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote