HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Darkhorse/Breakout Fantasy Players for 2011-2012

Old
08-06-2011, 05:50 AM
NYR89

vCash: 500
Darkhorse/Breakout Fantasy Players for 2011-2012

Who do you think will be a darkhorse/breakout player this season in fantasy? For me:

Brandon Dubinsky - I think this year he becomes the next 30-30 100 PIM guy, ala David Backes. He is the most likely candidate to ride shotgun with Richards and Gaborik.

Mark Streit - Coming off missing a year he seems to be forgotten a little bit. You may be able to pick up a 40+ point defender late in the draft simply because everyone has forgotten about him!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:16 PM
hockeyplayer168

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Brent Burns - moved from Minnesota to San Jose. He could be looking at a solid improvement.

Kris Letang - his numbers are fairly dependent on Crosby's presence. His value was off the charts through the first half last season, then were concussed along with the Croz.

Claude Giroux - has all the skill needed to break out on a huge season. It's hard to say if the increased responsibility will help him or snuff him next season.

Ryan Callahan - missed a bit of the season last year, which may bump him from some owners' radars in early rounds. The Rangers are looking very strong and Callahan and Dubinsky have proved themselves to be dangerous on a consistent basis from last season.

Chris Kunitz - I'm a fan of players who have slipped a bit due to injuries. They can end up being fantastic middle/late round picks. Kunitz has fought the injury bug for a bit recently, but as Crosby's left-hand man, the payout could be pretty sweet.

Brad Marchand - If you were watching the playoffs, it was pretty hard to miss this kid. Speed, tenacity, above-average hands, venom. His size is a bit concerning, but he certainly has the tools to be a considerable 30-goal scoring threat.

hockeyplayer168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Leviathan

Mike Smith - could pull a Bryzgalov and really settle well into the Phoenix defensive system. maybe he puts up better numbers than people are expecting. no doubt he falls in fantasy drafts, and maybe doesnt even get picked. take him in the last round and if he doesnt pan out, just drop him.

Tomas Fleischmann and Brian Campbell - everybody will avoid these guys because they play for the Panthers now. both could surprise given how much icetime they will get

Matt Moulson - people are still unsure whether this guy is for real. is one of very few LWs who can score 30 and seems to produce when tavares produces. if you think tavares will have a great year then assume moulson will go along for the ride.

Jose Theodore - this is a supersleeper, but he's got the starting job in florida if he wants it. the panthers depth chart is looking a little bit meatier this year, so if you realllllly need a starter, i guess Jose is probably available.

Ales Hemsky - is a PPG player and is in the last year of his contract. that probably means he will be traded. what if he goes to, say, detroit? get your hands on this guy, but dont waste an early pick on him.

some other common breakout players i'm hearing: berglund, van riemsdyk, benn

Last edited by Leviathan: 08-07-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:10 PM
hskates21*

Streit I agree people will definitely forget about him and now he is coming back to a much better offensive team than what he was playing with before so i can completely see him having a good year
also I can see okposo having a good year

hskates21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:10 AM
IndianCommitted
Hello, Duncan Keef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Mike Smith - could pull a Bryzgalov and really settle well into the Phoenix defensive system. maybe he puts up better numbers than people are expecting. no doubt he falls in fantasy drafts, and maybe doesnt even get picked.

Tomas Fleischmann and Brian Campbell - everybody will avoid these guys because they play for the Panthers now. both could surprise given how much icetime they will get

Matt Moulson - people are still unsure whether this guy is for real. is one of very few LWs who can score 30 and seems to produce when tavares produces. if you think tavares will have a great year then assume moulson will go along for the ride.

some other common breakout players i'm hearing: berglund, van riemsdyk, benn
I picked up Fleischmann in free agency last year in my league once he was traded to CO. He had 10 points in 23 games with Washington but was playing at PPG in CO before he got hurt. I agree, I think he will break out in FL.

Campbell will play great as well, I believe. Campbell/Jovanovski top pair?

IndianCommitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianCommitted View Post
I picked up Fleischmann in free agency last year in my league once he was traded to CO. He had 10 points in 23 games with Washington but was playing at PPG in CO before he got hurt. I agree, I think he will break out in FL.
To be honest, many players go on a hot streak when traded. On the Habs, I can think of Pouliot who was amazing during his first few games.
I think he'll score around 50 points, like what he usually does. Not really a breakout.

And for the Habs, for some reasons, I think Kostitsyn might score 30+ goals, good for 65 points or so. But you have to keep in mind that I always say this since 3 years.

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:22 AM
NYR89

I wonder, is this the year Boedker puts up big offensive numbers? With Upshall gone, he should get more time on a scoring line.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Cappy
belgians do it best

Michael Ryder on Dallas intrigues the hell out of me, weird to say since i spent the last 3 years wishing he was anywhere but Boston.

JVR and Giroux seem likely to be put into a situation where they could produce, in Giroux's case he could become a superstar (being careful here since Krejci really underwhelmed when put into the #1 role this year-burnt me on both my teams last year)

stevie sullivan in pitt could be a lot of fun too, he was a fringe fantasy roster player in nashville with a centre's not near the caliber of crosby, malkin, or even staal

if cogliano is able to win the 2nd line pivot job in anaheim and keep it he could be a great late round pick too, dont know if he can win faceoff's consistently tho

Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Legendary319

Berglund 28G-68pts
E.Kane 30G-67pts 85PIM
C.Stewart 35G-72pts 80PIM
Benn 30G-63pts
JVR 33G-68pts
Neal 30G-67pts

All are best of the best pre-breakout stars poised for quality seasons and all minus maybe neal have point-per-game upside. Best guys to target over 2-3 year arc in most any keeper settings

Landeskog will be gold in near future as well more 2-3 seasons from now as opposed to next year

Zajac between Parise Even and Parise-Kovalchuk PP will run at low 20's G-high 70's mark
Ribiero as well will be close to point-per-game

Legendary319 is offline   Reply With Quote