HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Louis Leblanc traded to Shawinigan

Old
08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Louis Leblanc traded to Shawinigan

http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/325047.html

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Top Corner2

so if he goes back to the Q he gets to play in the memorial cup

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Since when did they get an ahl team

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Gustave

What am I missing here?

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
What am I missing here?
Louis could go back to the Q as a 20 years old... Very unlikely but still a possibility, that's why there are some conditional picks.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Kriss E

Probably figured he'd make the Bulldogs so they got something for him. Not a bad move. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play in the AHL next year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Would be nice to see him play with Bournival in the Memorial Cup

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

What's best for Leblanc: playing in the Q for one final season or playing as a Dog?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
What's best for Leblanc: playing in the Q for one final season or playing as a Dog?
Probably playing for the dogs, although who knows? Gauthier may surprise us and let him play in the Q as an overager.

But it would be quite surprising. It almost never happen - drafted players rarely stay as overagers, and first round pick even less.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
icerocket

He's going to Hamilton.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
habitue*

Actually, dominating at one level would not be bad for him.

The guy has not followed the usual path to say the least...

In a US high school at 17-18
At the University (College) at 18-19
In the Q at 19-20...

3 different systems with 3 diffrent coaches with 3 sets of teamates in 3 different regions. Mind buggling. Do you know another player that had follow this path ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
habsrock76

Any word on the progression of his shoulder, is he projected to start the year? The last I heard was that he was to miss the start of the season.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Toro

not sure what to think about this trade. Other than he will most likely play in Hamilton. Can't see him playing as an overager as others have said.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
PinchedNerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
From what I saw of him last year, another year in the Q won't hurt.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
not sure what to think about this trade. Other than he will most likely play in Hamilton. Can't see him playing as an overager as others have said.
Might be a result of his injury. Maybe they want to ease him in. Could be they know he won't be back until close to mid season. After a lengthy injury like that it might be good for him to ease back into the game playing Q players instead of being crushed by AHLers.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

What ever is best for his game, let's be honest he didn't dominate in the Q, if he is going to go to Hamilton and not play much just a learning season he is probably better staying in the Q and having a chance to play in the Memorial Cup

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I'd like to see him and Bournival play together. I'm pretty high on Bournival.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
shello
@WShello9

I'd like to see him go back in the Q for one more season to let him try and dominate this year with Bournival.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:43 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I really doubt he is sent back but I guess they are hedging their bets in Shawinigan just in case.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
larrypacman8167

i think it would be a good thing (though not likely) if he goes back to the Q, the kid is far from strong enough ("6,0"-185lbs) to play against men and played the 2010/2011 season with a bad shoulder, having a free pass for the mem.cup on a strong team is never a bad thing either.

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I can help you there, don't think about it since it's a meaningless move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchedNerve View Post
From what I saw of him last year, another year in the Q won't hurt.
Don't see why they would send him back to the Q, he led his team in scoring (ppg average) while dealing with injuries, time for him to move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Any word on the progression of his shoulder, is he projected to start the year? The last I heard was that he was to miss the start of the season.
He has been on the ice, last I heard he is doing well with his recovery and could be ready for the start of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypacman8167 View Post
i think it would be a good thing (though not likely) if he goes back to the Q, the kid is far from strong enough ("6,0"-185lbs) to play against men and played the 2010/2011 season with a bad shoulder, having a free pass for the mem.cup on a strong team is never a bad thing either.
He looks like he needs to add weight and strength but somehow he goes in corners against bigger players yet often seems to come away with the puck. In the NCAA where he was playing against kids much older and bigger it didn't seem to give him any problems. I'm not sure playing in the Q as a 20 year old against 16-20 year olds would be a good thing, imo I'd much rather see him more challenged going up against bigger, older, faster, stronger players in the AHL then being back in the Q.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Weird. At first I saw "traded" and thought "uh oh what did you do PG?!"

He should be playing with Hamilton now.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He looks like he needs to add weight and strength but somehow he goes in corners against bigger players yet often seems to come away with the puck. In the NCAA where he was playing against kids much older and bigger it didn't seem to give him any problems. I'm not sure playing in the Q as a 20 year old against 16-20 year olds would be a good thing, imo I'd much rather see him more challenged going up against bigger, older, faster, stronger players in the AHL then being back in the Q.
the strength thing i was saying didn't have anything to do with the fact that he can or can't win battles it's just that he's recovering from a pretty bad injury and i don't want him to get crunched by huge AHL players................ and i think there is actually nothing wrong with dominating a league and getting physically stonger before turning pro

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why do you think it will hurt his development to play in the Memorial Cup instead on a depleted AHL roster?

He is projected as more of a strong two way player than an offensive beast at the moment. Playing against younger weaker competition might give him the opportunity to hone some of that untapped offensive potential. Playing against tougher competition in the AHL will force him to focus more on his defensive play imo and I'd like to see him have a chance at developing more offensive upside.

I think he has a greater chance of developing those skills in the Q. I also think the competition of playing in the Memorial Cup will be good for him. Its good to have players who are use to winning. Its helped Carey Price & Josh Gorges.

Winning championships helps players develop. Look at the 2006-07 Bulldogs and how many players from that team have graduated to the NHL

Mikhail Grabovski
Andrei Kostitsyn
Matt D'Agostini
Kyle Chipchura
Maxim Lapierre
Ryan O'Byrne
Jaroslav Halak
Carey Price

I don't see how playing in the Memorial Cup will be bad for him. Can you explain your reasoning please.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't see how playing in the Memorial Cup will be bad for him. Can you explain your reasoning please.
Montreal already explained his reasoning: Leblanc will become better by playing against better competition.

The "he will be able to develop skills against weaker opponents" make sense for pure projects. Tinordi is a great example. Nobody see him as an offense force in the pro, but it is still a good idea for him to develop some offensive skills in the CHL and log some PP time, because there's no way he's going to have any when he turn pro. But Leblanc isn't some kind of long term project, he's a player who has already developed the fundamental of his offensive game. The next step for him is to test those fundamental against better players.

It's like any game really. Say chess. What's the best way to get better at chess? Playing against your little brother who sucks, or playing against good players? If you know nothing about the game, then sure, it's better for you to face someone of similar skill level. But aside from that, you want to test yourself against good competition. The sweet spot is to find someone who is better than you, but that you can still beat if you play well. That's how you get better at practically everything.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote