HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teemu Selänne Discussion (Surgery, Sept Announce, Fedorin Cup, Perhaps Camp Tryout)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Wayfarer

vCash: 500
Teemu Selänne Discussion (Surgery, Sept Announce, Fedorin Cup, Perhaps Camp Tryout)

Just found out that Teemu has started a blog today at the Finnish MTV3 -channel's website. Of course, it's only in Finnish. The name of the blog (salama) means lightning in Finnish, a nickname Teemu has had in Finland throughout his career. He's going to write twice a month.

Here's the link: http://blogit.mtv3.fi/salama/

Few things he said..
For the first time he feels that this actually is going to be his last season.
At old age he has begun to have contradictory feelings about training camp, because he doesn't really need to compete for a spot.
For him and other veteran players training camp feels more like just waiting for the real games to begin.
He's also happy that the coaches "gave up" and moved him from being centered by Bobby back to the line with Koivu and Blake.
He has one goal for the upcoming season: to stay healthy, because the three injuries he had the last few seasons were only because of bad luck.

Old
10-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Wayfarer

Don't know if someone has posted about this already, but Teemu's also going to have a TV-show of his own on MTV3, called Teemu's garage. The show is all about cars that he owns and his passion for cars. Here's a link, you can find some of his cars in the text even though it's in Finnish.

The first show aired three days ago, if there's a Finn who saw it please tell us about it!

Old
10-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Mooseduck

Quote:
He's also happy that the coaches "gave up" and moved him from being centered by Bobby back to the line with Koivu and Blake.
Solid gold from Teemu - many similar comments from players at Faceoff Fest

Old
10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

I, and many others I presume, would appreciate it if you could keep us updated on what he writes each time since most of us do not speak Finnish.

Thanks.

Old
10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Unholy

Something from Curtis Zupke's report a couple days ago made me laugh

Teemu Selanne delivered the light moment of practice when he spotted Scott Niedermayer sitting in the stands and yelled at Niedermayer to “Get down here!”

Old
10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
OCNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Something from Curtis Zupke's report a couple days ago made me laugh

Teemu Selanne delivered the light moment of practice when he spotted Scott Niedermayer sitting in the stands and yelled at Niedermayer to “Get down here!”
Here's a thought...if they don't have a big retirement party for Nieds when NJ is in town (10/29) that's a good indication that indecisivemayer is having second thoughts.

Everyone saw how much damage his drag it out routine did last time, so he's got to act like this time he means it, but he's probably told them to cool it on the planning until he's "really, really , really sure." If they're in contention in Feb., there's a good chance he's back. Again.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Mooseduck

There isn't a good chance he's back again. - See article -
Although, it would be fun to see him repel from the rafters on Sundays ala Wildwing once in a while.

Old
10-07-2010, 02:28 PM
OCNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
There isn't a good chance he's back again. - See article -
Although, it would be fun to see him repel from the rafters on Sundays ala Wildwing once in a while.
That article looks pretty convincing. Still I think it's wise to judge people more on what history shows they do; rather than what they say. You'll be right much more often.

"This time is different", but usually not. If there is no retirement night, I stand by my prediction.

Old
10-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Don't know if someone has posted about this already, but Teemu's also going to have a TV-show of his own on MTV3, called Teemu's garage. The show is all about cars that he owns and his passion for cars. Here's a link, you can find some of his cars in the text even though it's in Finnish.

The first show aired three days ago, if there's a Finn who saw it please tell us about it!
I saw the second one. They are very short just about 10 mins.

This one was about 1959 Cadillac Coupe, a car he bought from the 1st owner about 10 years ago. The car is in original condition, driven only on Sundays and miles just over 30.000.

-He told that it took about 5 years before the man who owned the car until he sold the car to Teemu. He got to know Teemu a little bit better and knew he will treat it well so he finally sold it.

-Especially old ladies seem to like the car. Once in a golf course parking lot they was just stearing the car and asked Teemu "Hey young man what year is that car?"
Teemu: "59".
Old Ladies: "We knew it"
Teemu: "Does this car bring some great memories?"
Old ladies just smiled: "Oh yeah!"

So Teemu just comments in the show I bet these coupes were love nests back in the time due to the massive back seats of this car.

His kids called the car "bat mobile" when they were younger.

And in American gangster movies you could fill 8 bodies to the trunk.

390 V8 is not fast but runs smoothly.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Metalcommand

Selänne's blog

Heya guys a ducks fan from Finland here. Selänne has been writing a blog on a finnish website for sometime now (3 entries) and the last one just came in and though i'd share it if anyone of you is interested.

The translation is not perfect but should be okay. Here it goes

''Hello to everyone! In NA numbers have always been a important part of being an American and so it is also in the NHL. Actually in here statistics are kept almost about everything and especially in sports it has no limits.

Lately numbers have also been on the show for me, I just passed legendary Bobby Hull on the all-time goals scored list (611). If somebody had said to me on Kivenlahti's outdoor rink in 1978 that I would one day pass Bobby Hull I would have called the doctor there. Although at the moment passing him doesn't feel very special at all but I think this is one of those things that will really set in long time after my career has ended.

A few days ago a round of golf that I played felt more special. First time in my career I played under one par (71). Awesome feeling!

I remember when I came to the NHL that numbers were more important to me than they are now. Back then it was a great challenge and I had great hunger to score 50 goals or total over 100 points for instance. And in general personal records felt really important. It was a big craving to test one's boundaries and to see how good and effective you can be. Younger I had an aim for a certain amount of points or goals. Thankfully it isn't like that anymore.

There really are three periods that happen in a players developing trajectory. At first you seek your own limits and fight for a place inside your team. The second is to once again find your limits and fight for your level and place within the league and at third you try to grow into a winner - as a team. This is the way it also went for me. Nowadays when I go into the season my only goal is to stay healthy and enjoy this fantastic game!

Staying healthy gives you a chance to play at your own level everynight. In this sport there are always little things like injuries, fatigue and something that makes it harder. But yet everynight you have to be able to dig out your own level of play. That's a challenge that makes a player better than an another player.

82 games, over 100 000 miles on the plane and all those hotel nights take their toll. The reality is that when the season starts the body wont see a 100% condition night anymore.
Biggest challenge for me as a 40 year old hockey player is to recover from matches and stress as fast as possible. You have to eat right, drink enough, rest, strech enough and in general take good care of yourself.

That's the biggest difference between being ''young'' and ''old''. Thankfully in the end age is just a number. At most nights I feel more like 30 than 40. I remember when I was younger you could party with your teammates almost the whole night, then just take a shower and get to practice and you didn't feel a thing. If I did the same now it would take 5 days to get to ''normal condition''

I laugh at my young teammates partying and just say enjoy it now because the situation will change...haha!

So in the end this is actually a young mens game but luckily a few ''grandpas'' can still fit in!''

There it is I hope you enjoyed it. Something might have been lost in translation but it shouldn't be anything important.

Here is the link for the original http://blogit.mtv3.fi/salama/

Old
11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Can I have a bigger man crush than I do with Teemu? I don't think so.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
Can I have a bigger man crush than I do with Teemu? I don't think so.
He winked at my BF one time during warm-ups... my BF has been in love ever since

EDIT: I'm being forced to type that it was probably because he was wearing the signed Teemu jersey and was 1 of 3 ducks fans watching them warm up in Calgary. But it's really besides the point because the man is obsessed, understandably so

Old
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
He winked at my BF one time during warm-ups... my BF has been in love ever since

EDIT: I'm being forced to type that it was probably because he was wearing the signed Teemu jersey and was 1 of 3 ducks fans watching them warm up in Calgary. But it's really besides the point because the man is obsessed, understandably so
You really can't blame him, can you?

Edit: I'm raising the BS flag on it "probably because he was wearing the signed Teemu jersey", tell him just to man up and admit it.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
rmarion

Teemu = CLASS ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will go down in History as the Best Duck Player of all Time!!!!!!!

Old
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Finnpin

Teemu Rocks!

just look at this 6.44 - 6.55

Old
12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
MaNNe

Teemus Finnish blog

Hey guys, i'm feeling bored and since it's Christmas i thought i could translate some of the most recent blog entries from Teemu to English, if anyone is interested ?
I personally thought they have been pretty good =).

For those who didn't know you can find his blog here:
http://blogit.mtv3.fi/salama/

So post something here if you are interested, cause i'm not gonna do it if no one will read them ;P.

Old
12-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

do it!

Old
12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
MaNNe

Okay, i'll start with his post on 13. December.

Can't sleep after a game - i won't take sleeping pills.

Hello again everyone!

Christmas is getting closer, although we still have many games left and i still haven't bought gifts. Now that i'm having a bit of trouble with injuries, i'm sure i'll have time to go to shop as well.

Lots of people have been asking me, what is our game day schedule like? Well, it's almost always the same. Every game starts at 19:00 in weekdays. So in the morning i wake up at around 7:30 am, eat breakfast and go to the rink at around 9.00 am. At 10.00 am we usually have morning practice, which is usually only 20-25minutes long. So easy and light training after which we have a pre-game meeting at around 11.00 am after that i head back to home. As game day lunch Sirpa makes me spaghetti in the noon.

I usually take a nap at 14:00 and wake up at 15:30. I wake myself up with a shower and drink some coffee and eat a bagel and then head back to the rink at 16:20. It usually takes me around 40 minutes to drive to the rink, so i arrive at 17:00. I am usually the last one to arrive !

Some of our players come to the rink four hours before the game. Personally i'd come even later, but we have a power-play meeting at 17:15 and penalty kill meeting at 17:30.Warm-up starts at 18:30 and the puck drops in to the ice at 19:05.

After the game i use an exercise bike for a little while, do some stretching and in between get a massage. All of this helps me to a faster recovery, especially at this age it is a must. Often everyone also does a light weight training with weights, after that i'm off to eat and back to home.

Often after the game my night-time sleep is too short, because after a game my body often goes to overdrive and it's hard to get sleep because of that. Many players take sleeping pills after a game. I myself try not to take them, because it's easy to get addicted to them and you can't get sleep without them at all anymore.

The next day we usually have practice at 11:00 and we go to the rink one hour before the practice. At home i'm usually at around 13:00 and the afternoon is free.
However often i take my boys to their practice in the evening, so i can say that the rink is like our second home. Often we go there with the whole family, so we can spend some time together.

So far my boys have really enjoyed the game and i can see it from them that the passion for the game hasn't fallen far off the tree. It's also nice that my boys have been able to follow my career so closely and have been able to share my Stanley cup victory and Vancouver Olympics with me for example. I'm sure those have been nice memories for them. Also they have really enjoyed, when they have been able to come to my practices and skate with me in the Honda center.

Maybe some day the roles will be switched and i'll be watching and cheering in the Honda Center when another generation of NHL-players, with Selänne in their back is skating. Who knows! Only time will tell.

Happy holidays for everyone!

This is not a word-to-word translation, because that's not really possible. Also there might be some typos, but i cant be bothered to fix them. I'll post the newest entry later. Keep in mind that english is not my native language so there might be some grammatical mistakes.

Old
12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Hey thanks for this. It's really cool.

This struck me:
Quote:
Lots of people have been asking me, what is our game day schedule like? Well, it's almost always the same. Every game starts at 19:00 in weekdays. So in the morning i wake up at around 7:30 am, eat breakfast and go to the rink at around 9.00 am. At 10.00 am we usually have morning practice, which is usually only 20-25minutes long. So easy and light training after which we have a pre-game meeting at around 11.00 am after that i head back to home.
Either here or in AD, some people were speculating that Carlyle practices the players too hard, and that's why they sometimes look sluggish in games. But even Selanne, a guy who's known for not liking much practice, says that game day morning skate is only 20-25 minutes long and is "easy and light training."

There goes that theory.

Old
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Thanks MaNNe, that was a good read!

Old
12-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Hey thanks for this. It's really cool.

This struck me:

Either here or in AD, some people were speculating that Carlyle practices the players too hard, and that's why they sometimes look sluggish in games. But even Selanne, a guy who's known for not liking much practice, says that game day morning skate is only 20-25 minutes long and is "easy and light training."

There goes that theory.
Not really. Carlyle has given Selanne time off...because of his birth certificate, in his words. Makes sense that vets wouldn't have to skate hard during the game day skate.

Old
12-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Fighter
Legend

Thanks for the interesting read, keep em coming!

Old
12-24-2010, 07:09 PM
MaNNe

Okay, i'll translate the newest blog entry now.

The bad situation in Boston, Junior memories and happy Christmas!

Hello again everyone!

I'm writing this on the plane and we have still 6 hours left on the journey. Again we have one trip behind us and it has been a rough one. It's nice to get back home to the family. As Tapio Rautavaara(Finnish singer and actor) once wisely said:"I have been on a lot of trips and traveled a lot, but going home is always the best journey".

We had five games in 7 days, phew... At the last game in Buffalo I simply had nothing left in the tank.

By the way they are getting ready for a big hockey competition in Buffalo. This years U20 tournament will be held there. The games are a big thing here and all the important hockey people, scouts and GMs will be there. Everyone is interested in the superstars of the future. The tournament will be a great place to showcase their talent for the players.

For team Finland i wish good luck and a lot of fight. Everyone is eating the same bread there. Every game is winnable!

I remember well my own U20 games, which were held in the freezing cold Alaska in the town of Anchorage. Every day we had over -25 Celsius, but it didn't slow us down. The tournament was also a big thing there, the whole town was interested in the tournament. The games were played at a really high level and most of the players were a year older than me. Even then you could see who would become future NHL-stars. The teams were full of talent.

They had for example: Modano, Roenick, Brindamour, Bure, Mogilny, Fedorov, Sundin, Lidström etc. Altogether the tournament was a really awesome experience.
The next tournament was held in Finland. And we had many players who had been with us in Alaska as well. We had a good team and expectations were high.

For me however destiny decided otherwise. Two months before the tournament on October 19th in 1989 in the OT of Jokerit-JYP game at 60.56 i broke my ankle- and calf bones in a harmless situation. It felt like the world had collapsed in one second.

It's funny how i can still remember the date and time so clearly after all this time. It was a tough situation to be in for a young kid. I had a long pause from hockey and a long rough recovery period. Lots of questions were in the air about my career. Would my foot ever work normally again? Was my career over?

For three months i had a cast from my toes to my groin. I remember when the cast was taken off, i didn't know whether i should laugh or cry. My foot was like the ones a Kenyan runner would have, only skin and bones were left. First month in physiotherapy, went in trying to learn to walk again. I think it took 10 months, before i was fully fit again. But i did survive it and came back to the games stronger than ever especially mentally. And more humble and thankful for being able to do what i love. I have always said that "I would rather be lucky than good". So much luck is also needed in success and in everything in life. Your career can be over in one injury.

Even during this trip in Boston luck was needed, when we were going to the same corner with a Boston D to get the puck. He decided to tackle me before he got the puck, small contact and somehow he lost his balance and flew head first in to the side. It didn't look good. I was really frightened. Everything happened so fast and the speed in this sport is so quick! It's the last thing you want to see someone get injured badly.

So lets enjoy every day.
It's time spend the Christmas holidays. We have four days free and i'm going to take it easy and spend it with my family. Maybe one round of golf will fit the schedule, but otherwise Christmas for me is about taking it easy and "recharging batteries" for future games.

I want to wish everyone a very happy christmas!

Let me know if you people want more and i can translate some of the older blog entries.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:57 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Thanks for all the effort in translating that.

I'm not even a Ducks fan but how can you not love Teemu so I'm really interested in the other entries please.

Old
01-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Ducks

thank you very much to our nice Finnish friends for translating Teemu's blog for us!

Closed Thread