HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather appreciation thread

Old
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Glen Sather appreciation thread

Marvelous job at deadline, IMHO. That should exonerate Glen from major mistakes committed earlier. The team looks quite competitive now. I am still not certain if coaching change was necessary, but personnel overhaul was what the doctor ordered. Thank you, Glen.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Marvelous job at deadline, IMHO. That should exonerate Glen from major mistakes committed earlier. The team looks quite competitive now. I am still not certain if coaching change was necessary, but personnel overhaul was what the doctor ordered. Thank you, Glen.
This isnt going to go very well. I give him credit over the last 10 days for the coaching change and the deadline deals. That in NO WAY exonerates him from the last 2 Free agent periods that has left us in cap hell for the foreseeable future.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

im gonna reserve judgment on Drury and Gomez. they have looked much better since torts has come in.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
SPG

Wade Redden is still making $6.5 million for the next 5/6 years.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
94now

Ooops, I didn't mean to get into Drumez signing , not that far.:

Old
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
chosen

Thank you Glen, for accomplishing nothing in over a decade. We should erect a statue to him. No, scratch that, we should put his face on money. No, that's not good enough. He must be named world premier.

The standards for appreciation may have reached an all-time low with this thread.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
im gonna reserve judgment on Drury and Gomez. they have looked much better since torts has come in.
This is how I kinda feel. Even if Gomez, Drury, and Redden noticeably improve under Torts, they will still be overpaid.

One thing I kinda give credit to Sather... he always seems to be able to fix things. He turned all of our overpaid UFA's into a nice prospect pool before the lockout.

Yes we are bumping against the cap right now, but what would an extra 5 million cap space do for us right now? Nothing. If we lose out on a good UFA or cannot resign our RFAs, then get mad.

I dont know, trying to be optimistic. But I do believe we will see all our RFA's back. I also like all our UFA's. Who knows... Sather might move Gomez at the draft for a 1st and a decide prospect... fix our cap problems... sign everyone... then be called a genius. Its possible.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Terrible thread.

The very fact that he sent two RFA's pakcing is because he HAD to. His gross mismanagement of the cap and undervaluing of his assets continues no matter how this team plays.

His best move in his tenure here was hiring Tortorella though, so ill give him that... except it was like 9 years too late.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No, it really shouldn't. At least not yet...

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I'm pretty sure Don Maloney is still our assistant GM. He just calls Sather to let him know which players he's taking and what he's sending back. Since sometimes Sather's cell phone service is spotty out on Messier fishing boat, Maloney has power of attorney so he can just fax the league representing both teams. That way Glen doesn't miss anything when the fish are biting. Thanks Don for continuing your great service to this organization. Can we start a Don Maloney appreciation thread?

darrenturcotte#8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
GoNikolaiZherdevGo

i like the moves at the deadline, but unless we sign antropov we wasted a second round pick.

As long as i see redden's ugly mug in blue i can't stop day dreaming of beating sather with a drury bobble head.

The Gomez signing i can forgive because i can see where he thought his game would pick up and become a true #1 center.

Drury was crazy, i don't want to hear you can't buy intangibles, apparently they cost around 7 mil.

Redden shows me that someone in the rangers brass has a substance abuse problem.

GoNikolaiZherdevGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

This deadline was either selling tickets on the "Fire Sather" bus or the "I hate Dolan", that latter of which I've been riding for many years and would be more than happy to purchase a ticket for someone else.

To give up young players and draft picks for rentals just to give a team a better chance to make the playoffs, which is still in doubt, doesn't make any sense. It's either an attempt for Sather to cover his tracks or direction from Dolan to ensure that the playoffs are achieved to ensure his maximized profits. Either way, neither cares about winning and they both only care about "just making it".

The only way I can see Sather redeeming himself is if guys like Morris and Antropov are resigned to reasonable contracts and guys like Naslund and Rozsival are dealt to restock youth and picks.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I really don't understand you 94, some days you are right on, others I think you do things just for kicks.

Sather gets a C+ rating in the game of managing, thats about the best you'll get outta me.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

When a Sather run Rangers squad wins the division or gets past the 2nd round of the playoffs, maybe I'll appreciate him.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
DontStepanMe

I give Sather alot of crap for his signings on this board, and rightfully so. His FA signings to this point have been nothing short of atrocious. But I must admit that he does have a knack at making us better each TD since the lockout and not give up a whole lot. He deserves credit for this TD's trade and firing Renney. Both moves will help this season tremendously, and at least one (Torts) will help in the future.

So now I wish that Sather was fired immediately once the PO's have ended, and we hire another GM to do our Draft and FA period, than Sather is rehired once the season starts so he can make the trades.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
NHLsnipers

Rangers fan proving why other teams fans consider us the worst fans in the league....

Be positive for once

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

His trades have been good, but it still doesn't make up for the UFA's...

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2009 View Post
Rangers fan proving why other teams fans consider us the worst fans in the league....

Be positive for once
I am positive. And I'm definitely appreciative of a job well done. I'm the guy with Tom-****ing-Renney as my avatar. But a Glen Sather Appreciation thread? ****. Thanks, Glen, for doing a decent job at the deadline and an absolutely mediocre job in every other aspect of running the franchise. Good ****ing job, *******.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Be positive for once
First of all, i really really want other teams fans to like me Funny thing is I think they'd agree with the negatives thrown towards Slacks Sather.

Second, rating our GM we should just look at the positives? Why? They're not outweighing the negatives, thats the point of what most are saying here.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
First of all, i really really want other teams fans to like me Funny thing is I think they'd agree with the negatives thrown towards Slacks Sather.

Second, rating our GM we should just look at the positives? Why? They're not outweighing the negatives, thats the point of what most are saying here.
Spot on.

I'm thinking 94 started this thread so he can be amused by the responses. I can't think of any other reason...

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
pld459666

Kudos for a medicore deadline day, good on the Antropov deal, not so good on the Morris deal, but overall he had a good 2 weeks (getting Torts, Avery and Antro was nice)

Last edited by pld459666: 03-07-2009 at 10:44 AM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Vito Andolini

I'm quite positive...that Glen Sather should have been fired a very long time ago.

He ran the team into the ground once...and if you ask me, he's well on his way to doing it again.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

Be positive for once
I love how people say "Rangers fans are the worst in the league." So I guess fans who don't fill up their team's arena are better? Fans that are quiet all game long. Fans that never tell the team when they feel disappointed and annoyed at them. Give me a break. If anything Rangers fans are top 3 in the league. I guess booing a player (who makes millions) because he sucks makes us bad fans. Booing a powerplay that sucked for years, makes us bad fans. Booing a GM who signs big name players who aren't worth their salary, makes bad fans.

Or maybe we're just well informed fans who don't take crap. We don't like to pay our hard earned money to the Dolans to get s*** on by the players and management. That's why NY fans always treat the players who give their all every game and who deliver in NY like kings. We recognize hard work and effort. We recognize the players who want to play for NY and not just their paycheck and we treat them how they treat us.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I'm quite positive...that Glen Sather should have been fired a very long time ago.

He ran the team into the ground once...and if you ask me, he's well on his way to doing it again.
The Rangers were so far into the ground when Sather got here they were practically in China.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Sather gets a C+ rating in the game of managing, thats about the best you'll get outta me.
In my book C+ is a good grade. I accustomed to F (or FU?) being in Rangerland for so long. Thus, the appreciation for the improvement. Antropov over Dawes, Avery over Prucha and Morris over Kalinin for a few picks. That made my day!