HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do you feel about the Minnesota Wild franchise?

Old
08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
How do you feel about the Minnesota Wild franchise?

Let me start this thing off by saying that I'm stuck at work on a terribly boring day just trying to kill the next 7 hours as best I possibly can...

The backstory -

I grew up a Minnesota North Stars fan, I LOVED them and everything about them (Great name, fantastic logo, unique colors, etc,etc) and even tho I was only 11 years old when they left, to this day I still wish we could of been the North Stars again, I feel we lost all of our hockey heritage having to start all over as an expansion but that's neither here nor there at this point..I support the Wild because they're Minnesota. Not because they're the Wild. I dont like our name, Im not a fan of our colors, I dont like that we dont have any rivals anymore. I dont like that we lost our heritage. And I dont like that we're widely ignored for the most part in a national sense. (granted, all the recent big trades have changed that a bit this season haha)

I do think our logo is creative but I'd take the North Star logo over it anyday of the year.. I LOVE our arena, and I do just love having a team but I feel like I really had to settle with the Wild. I really thought they'd grow on me and that Id be over all my qualms about them but here 11 years later, Im still complaining! haha I will say that I do like the direction we're going in now but overall Im really just a fan because they're my hometown team from the Twin Cities, Minnesota. If I was born anywhere else I dont think Id have much respect for them besides the fact that they're from a big hockey state like Minnesota. We got a house in NY in 1992 & I started following the Isles since the Stars left & to this day I have way more pride in the Isles than I do the Wild and I know thats funny to alot of people since the Isles have kind of been the butt of many jokes for years. Also, it's not that I hate the Wild or anything but like I said, there's just so much about them I dont like & its that I feel they pale in comparrison to what we had in the North Stars... I keep hoping that once the Wild finally can put a few solid play-off runs together that my opinion of them will change but that needs to happen first to see...

So now to my questions to fans around the league on how you guys view us:

1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?

I could ask a million more questions but hopefully you see what Im getting at...

Sorry for the long post & for all the questions but Im just really curious to hear how other fans view the Wild & what they think of them as a franchise. Any & all comments & feelings about them good or bad are totally welcome!

Thanks Guys!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

they are a pretty cool guy who doesnt afraid of anything

I like Koivu & Brunette, too. Latendresse is good.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Ruslan Zainullin

1. As a Canadian I have much more respect for the franchise and fans being from Minnesota than I do for the franchise and fans of someplace like Nashville (who has a dedicated group of fans, im commenting on location and being a traditional market) or Carolina. I view Minnesota as someplace just as dedicated to hockey as Canada is, therefore i could not look at your team as "just another cheesy expansion team". The cheesy expansion teams are in non hockey markets where the program's have sections explaining what icing and offsides are so the fans can actually understand whats going on on the ice.

2. See above, should you have lost the North Stars? i guess that was just the economics at the time, plus everyone knows that professional hockey has never gotten the support that the Gophers or even high school hockey gets in Minnesota.

3. meh, logo's are logos

4. I really wanted Pierre Mguire to get the GM job in minnesota, I can't really say that Fletcher gets any more credit than another young GM based upon his background with pittsburgh, or being Cliff Fletchers son.

5. last year you were still pretty vanilla offensively, with the addition of heatley and setoguchi i think things will change and the wild will be a more exciting team to watch.

Ruslan Zainullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

They have a great fanbase.

I hate Niklas Backstrom... That is all.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Ever since you guys acquired Heatley, I have lost much respect for the franchise(nothing personal, I just despise that allstar).

...seriously though; Chicago, Minnesota and Nashville are my favourite fanbases out of the American teams.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Canjo
AVA

you seem a little insecure about your team, but I'll bite.

personally, I like Minnesota, I don't think of them as a "cheesy expansion team" because it seems like the kind of place where hockey should be, and the fans there seem to support that theory with great support of the team.

as for the jerseys (one of my favorite topics), the logo is really cool and makes up for the rather stupid name of the team (sorry), but I dont like when it is put in a circle, then the whole thing looks bad. and, other than the green "Minnesota" thirds, I dont really love the layout and design of the jerseys, I think they should go predominantly green.

as for being on the right track and/or a boring team, I dont get to watch many games, nor do I follow the west that carefully, so I'll let people who know what they are talking about answer those questions

hope I helped you get over you insecurities

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I like when the Flyers play the Wild. Not just because it only happens, every so often, but I like your stadium and your fans. I would love to go to a game in Minn. one day. And your jerseys are probably my favorite!

Hockey should have never. Period.

Oh yes, I love Clutterbuck.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
letsgohawks19

Big fan of the franchise. Minnesota is a great hockey state with great fans. Would like to see them back in the playoffs soon.

letsgohawks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
se7en
infamous...

Thanks for the great responses so far guys, I appreciate it!

The funny thing is, yes, you could say I'm insecure about my team. haha

I think the biggest part of it is that I dont like our name or colors so I dont like sporting our jersey very often. Id MUCH rather throw on my Blackhawks or Islanders or Flyers jersey than my Wild one, again mostly just because I dont really like them. The new greens are the best of the 3 but they're still not quite right yet.. I think if we could finally find a nice jersey to sport where are home & away are the same style & we drop the majority of the red I'll start to like them a little more...

Also, its really nice to hear that so far you guys dont think of us as a cheesy expansion team. I always wondered about that. It's harder to gain respect IMO when youre a new team, especially one with a questionable name haha.. I had always hoped that the "Minnesota" in front of "Wild" helped our cause but I wasnt sure so that was great to hear!

BUt ya, keep the opinions coming! Good or bad, it's not going to hurt my feelings or anything & like i said, I gota ton of hours to kill so having something to read is great! haha

Old
08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
CNS
A World Alone

1. I see them in a weird place. They're not a good team but they're not awful (see: Coyotes, Phoenix). They don't have a great future but they have some decent prospects.

2. They're one of my favorite expansion teams. Nashville is 1 and the Wild are 2.

3. I like the color scheme. Its unique. But I, like you, LOVED the North Stars colors, jerseys, and logos. My coach, Ernie Hicke, played for them and lead them in scoring one year. cnshockey = California North Stars, the youth tier team he formed out here after retiring. If the North Stars came back, I'd have a struggle between my favorite teams between then and the Kings. I love the Kings so much but the North Stars coming back would be enticing as hell to be my new favorite. As for the current logo, I like it.

4. Bringing in Heatley was horrible. I hate him and he sucks.

5. Haven't really watched them enough to judge.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Schalkenullvier*

1) and 2) in one: No, you're not just another expansion franchise. I don't necessarily look forward to playing you, that's reserved to Montreal and, to a lesser extend, Toronto and Detroit (and in the past few years, Dallas lol). It also doesn't help that we only get to play you once or twice a season. But, I rescpect your North Stars history, and that your state is probably the most hockey-crazed in the USA.

The fact that you're in the west is also why I can't say too much about your franchise, to be honest, so that'd be #4. But hey, I plan to write a season-preview-blog on the wild on a German sports side, do ask me again in a month when I have done some research

3) I love your logo, the red jersey with the circular logo, not so much. The green one with the Minnesota script I like.

5) I do see you as a defense-first team, although I don't think I watch more than maybe 5 Wild games a year, if even, so that is not really all that accurate. But being a bruins fan, I can appreciate a good defensive game and don't find it boring.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

1) The Wild are just another team to me. They aren't a powerhouse and don't really have any marquee talent worth buying a ticket to go see.

2) Yes definitely. Minnesota has one of the best fanbases in the league.

3) Great logo and uniforms.

4) I want to see the Wild do better (mostly because of their fan support) but don't know if the moves that were made will end up having a positive effect on the team. We'll see I guess.

5) Don't watch enough to be able to comment

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Inferiority complex, it sounds like.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Leafidelity
40/30 grit grinder

vCash: 1775
As a Leafs fan, I'm pretty indifferent to the Wild.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

They're there. They're a nonsucky team. They're worth getting excited about neither as a great team nor a lousy team, and stoutly in the middle third of franchises on my respect-o-meter.

Basically neutral on them. Don't love them, don't hate them, don't fear them, don't love playing them.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

I like the state of Minnesota's dedication to hockey. Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts, New York, and Colorado have excellent hockey cultures, so I have a soft spot for all associated teams, even if the Wild are our rival.

The name, logo, and jersey layout are absolutely horrible. They make the Wild, and by proxy, Minnesota hockey, seem more gimmicky than they are.

I dislike playing the Wild-- the games seem really boring. Minny might not still use the trap, but they play a very dull game. Like others have said, Heater and Seto should help that.

So basically, I respect Minnesota more than the Wild. They're a divisional rival, but I put them with Edmonton in terms if hate. I hate Vancouver and Calgary more than either.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
As a Leafs fan, I'm pretty indifferent to the Wild.
Yup.

Though I do like/respect the city.

Love their logo as well.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?

For the most part, the Wild is just another expansion team to me, but not on the same level as your expansion siblings. For next year I look forward to playing the Wild because I want to see a tribute to Boogaard.

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?

I definitely give Minnesota more respect than the other expansion teams, like I said in question 1.

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?

I like your jerseys. But you should get rid of those baseball jerseys.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?

I wouldn't call them back on track, because I don't even know how they will adjust on the Wild. But I can see the Wild make a solid run.

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?

Yea I got past that. But I don't really know if the Wild is still a defense-first team because I don't really know how they play.

08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
5lidyzer19

Quote:
Basically neutral on them. Don't love them, don't hate them, don't fear them, don't love playing them.
I feel the same way. They seem like one of those teams that we never get to play, which is the way I feel about a lot of teams.

5lidyzer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:15 PM
se7en
infamous...

It's nice getting alot of opinions from East Coast teams. I have to say that I have soooo much respect for the east. So many storied histories & great rivalries out there.. I guess you could say Im a little jealous of that. I try to get out & catch a few games of a few teams every season & I always really enjoy them. Almost a completely different feel out there.

I guess that's where part of the reason for this thread comes from...

The one guy said I'm insecure.. I wouldnt say thats 100% accurate but I won't argue it either... Its not really insecurity that much but its more just the levels of respect I have for different teams around the league. All the teams with long & storied histories I cant help but respect, even if Im not a fan of the team I can still appreciate their history & all the highlights & downfalls of their franchise. There's just so many stories & highlights from all the years, great players that have come & gone, great moments, cup runs, epic fights, huge rivalries, etc ,etc..

When we were the North Stars I felt like we were part of all that, we had history, we were the next 6. We may have never won the cup but we had our runs, we had great players play for us, we had our epic moments. retired jersey's hung in our rafters, awards where named after our players, & so on..

Its amazing how with one bad owner all that got wiped away taken to dallas.. Now they present our banners, they sport our heritage (& kind of poorly I might add) Not to go off on a tangent but what bothers me most is that Dallas's & our franchise was a next 6. Not a true orginal but about as original as you can get. But yet they stamp Dallas over the N'stars accompliments & have the nerve to say Founded in 1993... It's like Come on!?

Either completely honor that the Stars have been around since 1967 & cherish it, or dont even acknowledge anything before 1993 & leave it with Minnesota. it always bothers me that they say 1993. Its kind of a smack in the face.. They used our 3rd jersey for years, they kept the basics of our color & name. You cant ignore all that & then wipe 26 years of history away...

Anyways, Its like we had to start all over with the Wild.. Yes the North Stars stuff happened in Minnesota & they cant change that but now our rafters sit empty, there's no real history to speak off. All the rivals we had are now pretty much forgotten. We dont even play the same teams on the regular.. The Canucks & Flames, Oilers, etc dont care about us really, they got there own thing going..

Its hard to put into words but it feels like Minnesota was a parent & the North Stars were our kid but our kid got kidnapped & was given a new name & he forgot he was ever ours to begin with... So to replace them we adopted a new kid that looks different & sounds different & his trying hard to replace the old kid but it just isnt the same. You love them for trying but you still miss your first true kid...

Maybe a terrible anaolgy but like I said, its tough to explain... Thats why its nice to hear an outsiders opinion on the situation & the thoughts on the "new Kid" haha It's just rough having to start from scratch.. Maybe years from now when we have our own new history it will be nice to look back & know that I saw it all from the beginning.. I know I just need to not worry about it & enjoy the ride for what it is but like i said, it's rough starting over...

Last edited by se7en: 08-07-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old
08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I liked the NorthStars quite a bit; was hoping they'd win that last time. I was also happy to see Minnesota get a team again. That being said, I haven't yet been able to get a feel for the Wild team at all. I would be hard-pressed to describe them in any sort of descriptive way in regard to team character. Maybe that just takes time...also, it's prolly 'cause I rarely get to watch them play.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I dont like our name, Im not a fan of our colors,

I do think our logo is creative but I'd take the North Star logo over it anyday of the year.
^^^^ I agree, terrible name.

colors: meh

logo: do not like at all. Waaaay too busy.

I miss the name North Stars. I never liked it when they became the Stars, and hate it they kept the Stars name in Dallas.

Clutterbuck: one of the best names in hockey right now.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Flamesjustwin

vCash: 463
They are one of those meh franchises like Florida that will toil in mediocrity for years.

Flamesjustwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:33 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
For whatever reason, I always viewed Minnesota as different than the other three expansion teams from the late 90s/early 00s (Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus). No disrespect to those teams and their fans, but Minnesota felt like an established franchise with an established fanbase when they entered the league. Probably because of the North Stars recent departure.

Quote:
Absolutely. Minnesota needs a hockey team.

Quote:
The logo is very clever in design, but not one of my favorites. I'm pretty indifferent about the jerseys too, but they certainly are not bad. Especially compared to some of the other horrific jerseys in the league.

Quote:
I hope so, I really want that franchise to succeed. Though honestly, I don't the moves they made are suddenly going to make them more competative.

Quote:
I honestly don't watch the Wild enough to know exactly what type of system you guys play, but it's been a while since I considered them a "trapping" team.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

So now to my questions to fans around the league on how you guys view us:

I used to hate playing you guys because of Lemaire dont hate the wild but dont dislike them either kind of a middle of the road team...

Annoys me Dallas got the N'Stars sad. I have never really considered them an expansion team but isnt minny more of a college and high school hockey area???

Well i think the O6 logos are freaking overrated but I do like the wilds logo and dont mind their colors but again dont find them all that appealing either... I do like the colors...

In time those moves should really help you guys and I love the fact you guys gave us Burns so I like the wild a lot more now probably a boarderline playoff team but not a bottom team... I do dig the fact that they have been trying to open up their offense the last several years...

I have...

thanks for burns and havlet also...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote