HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Live: Hardy vs Lytle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2011, 05:11 AM
  #226
BrixtonBullet
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Good to see newcomer Jim Hettes pick up the win by submission.

I live about 10 minutes away from where he's from.

BrixtonBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
  #227
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
Wow, what's with the hate for Dan Hardy?

I thought sub of the night was going to Herman, but it's good to see Lytle go out the way he did.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
  #228
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Wow, what's with the hate for Dan Hardy?
I think it's because he runs his mouth in just about every fight. That'll always make for a polarizing figure. Also, he's not all that good either. He was pretty sheltered, fighting almost exclusively on UK cards when he was being built up, and his matchups leading up to GSP were pretty suited for his style. I think some people also resent the fact that he sort of became a defacto title contender since there was really no other legitimate guys at the time that he put together his string of wins. Looking back though, it's almost hard to believe that he was a serious title contender.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
  #229
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I think it's because he runs his mouth in just about every fight. That'll always make for a polarizing figure. Also, he's not all that good either. He was pretty sheltered, fighting almost exclusively on UK cards when he was being built up, and his matchups leading up to GSP were pretty suited for his style. I think some people also resent the fact that he sort of became a defacto title contender since there was really no other legitimate guys at the time that he put together his string of wins. Looking back though, it's almost hard to believe that he was a serious title contender.
I don't mind the guy. He hypes fights by talking and has an exciting style usually.

Still kind of surprising that GSP couldn't finish him in 25 minutes.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
  #230
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
Hardy seems like a good guy imo. He talks some smack every now and then, but it's usually in good humor. I'm fine with him sticking around$ hopefully he gets his career back on track.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
  #231
Jasper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 600
I don't get the Hardy hate either.. Entertaining guy, entertaining fighter. He didn't really deserve a title shot people seem to want to put him on par with Bisping for some reason.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  #232
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,600
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Wow, what's with the hate for Dan Hardy?

I thought sub of the night was going to Herman, but it's good to see Lytle go out the way he did.
Because he is not a mixed martial artist. There is nothing about Hardy's game that is "mixed". And the one thing he is good at is something that other fighters are just as good if not way better than him at.

He's a terrible UFC fighter and should be on local cards (BAMMA, KOTC, etc.). He'd be chewed up and spit out in the same manner in an organization like Bellator, even.

Yet, listening to him talk, you'd think he's the best in the world. You'd think he has no weaknesses. Every time he claims to be working on his wrestling, he's just as easy to bring down and hold down. Yet he *****es and moans that no one wants to stand with him. He complains so much about people being scared of his stand-up, etc. yet guys like Condit and Lytle have exposed his stand-up for being nothing more than average.

TL;DR - He's an annoying ***** who shouldn't be in the UFC.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
  #233
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,600
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I don't get the Hardy hate either.. Entertaining guy, entertaining fighter. He didn't really deserve a title shot people seem to want to put him on par with Bisping for some reason.
Because he's a whiner just like Bisping is. Hardy is MUCH more tolerable than Bisping, personality wise, but at least Bisping is a true mixed martial artist. Hardy is just a mediocre-poor boxer with some stupid hair.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
  #234
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,577
vCash: 1888
All anyone needs to know about Hardy and his not being UFC caliber is that he hasn't beaten any currently active guy in the UFC. And he hasn't won a single round in his four losses. Enough said. 9 other welterweights have fought in the UFC this last week or so and he wouldn't beat any of them.

Hopefully they feed him to somebody like Johny Hendricks and send his ass packing.

I think he has good boxing technique but that's part of his problem, the way he turns over his punches is better suited to 10 oz gloves than it is to 4 oz gloves.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
  #235
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
^Although I generally agree with your point, I'll add that he did beat Mike Swick whose still under UFC contract. He's injured (again) but was scheduled to fight next month.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
  #236
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,577
vCash: 1888
Swick probably isn't UFC caliber anymore, and by the time he's able to fight it will probably have been two years between fights, so I disregarded him as a matter of principle due to his being inactive. I think he would have lost that fight he had scheduled by the way.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
  #237
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Hardy is almost a victim of his own success in a way. When they booked him against Swick I think most people viewed it as a showcase fight for Swick prior to giving *him* a title shot vs GSP -- Swick was 9-1 in the UFC at that point and was on a 4-0 run at WW (albeit not exactly against a murderer's row of opposition). But instead Hardy outpointed him pretty handily and so they had to give him the shot instead. IIRC it was one of those deals where they basically hyped a fairly lacklustre card by making the fight a #1 contender bout, similar to the Ricardo Almeida/Patrick Cote fight a year or two before then. Actually Cote is a pretty apt comparison given that he was sort of thrust into a title fight, lost, then went on to drop his next two fights as well, though unlike Hardy he was actually cut at that point.

But anyways since the UFC did give Hardy a title shot, he got put in way over his depth against GSP and (IMO) they've had to feed him some stiff competition ever since in order to cover for the fact that he wasn't really championship material. Although honestly I would have thought a guy with his counterpunching ability should have been able to handle a guy who just wades in swinging like Lytle does. But I've never been a huge Lytle fan so I'm probably not giving him enough credit.

At any rate I forgot to make picks for last night's fights but I'm kinda glad I did since I probably would have gone 0-4 on the main card Was really surprised at how good both Cerrone and Henderson looked against really tough opponents.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
  #238
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,626
vCash: 500
you want to know the problem with Hardy? HE LOSES and they aren't even close losses how does a guy lose 4 in a row and still keep his job?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
  #239
Fanpuck33
Registered User
 
Fanpuck33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Wow, what's with the hate for Dan Hardy?

I thought sub of the night was going to Herman, but it's good to see Lytle go out the way he did.
I can't stand him because he's not a mixed martial artist. Dude should just start boxing, that's all he knows and he doesn't seem to show any signs of improving upon his weaknesses.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
  #240
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
I really hope that Smooth fights Guillard next, a guy who I don't think is quite as good as his recent record would indicate. One thing is certain, Guillard has no business in title contention til he faces and beats an actualy legit top 10 155er.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ben Henderson will wear the UFC gold sooner or later.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
  #241
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,005
vCash: 500
Dan Hardy's eye after Lytle poked him.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ut-with-Lytle/

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:18 PM
  #242
KrugLife
Registered Champion
 
KrugLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winchesterfieldville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Awesome event. Last 2 fights were great, and I'm becoming a huge Ben Henderson fan now. I'd love to see him get a shot at the title.

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.