HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi

Old
08-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Nitram27

vCash: 500
Paajarvi

I'd like to have some info on Paajarvi. What you guys thought about his 1st pro season, and what we can expect from him next season.

His he 1st line talent or he'll get burried in edmonton's load of young offensive talent ?

Nitram27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:33 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Lack of confidence in the offensive zone during the first 40 or so games. He really likes to cheat defensively and tends to leave the offensive zone a bit earlier than we'd all like to see. A very competent 2 way player already. His plus minus might not tell a lot about it, but he's going to be a beaut in both ends. Extremely fast. Great acceleration, and top end speed. He also tends to take high, outside perimeter shots just as he enters the blue line. Once he was paired with Omark though, and with the injuries was given legitimate time on the ice, he was rushing towards the net and playing great hockey overall. He can cycle like no other with Omark. A very underrated shot, and above average hands.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

He basically uses his speed to his advantage, and once he realizes just how strong he is out there he's going to be a force.

My guess for his career will be a perrenial 25-30 goal scorer.

EDIT: Because of the talent up front, he'll probably end up being a 2nd line player in the coming years for the Oilers. But after the initial viewing, he could just be a legitimate 1st liner on most NHL teams.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
jmoss45

As long as Hall here Paajarvi will likely line up on the 2nd/3rd line. I love the guy though, easily my favourite Oiler already. Speed to burn and nice to see a young guy come in with a good 2 way game.

From what I saw the criticism about his shot were overblown. I thought he showed a good wrister (including off the rush) as well as a decent slapshot when he played the point on the PP.

His best assets are his speed off the rush, but his power game is under rated. He protects the puck well and scored some beauties off the rush because of it. He also has a solid build at this early age and should get stronger with time.

My biggest worry about him has nothing to do with him, and more about how he fits on the Oil long term. The oilers deepest position is the left wing at both the NHL and AHL levels. His game didn't seem to mesh well with Hemsky for the few games they played together. With the Oilers having other big holes to fill (specifically on D) and only limited cap space, I wonder if he could be the centrepiece to a deal for a big 2-way C or a big 2-way D.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
As long as Hall here Paajarvi will likely line up on the 2nd/3rd line. I love the guy though, easily my favourite Oiler already. Speed to burn and nice to see a young guy come in with a good 2 way game.

From what I saw the criticism about his shot were overblown. I thought he showed a good wrister (including off the rush) as well as a decent slapshot when he played the point on the PP.

His best assets are his speed off the rush, but his power game is under rated. He protects the puck well and scored some beauties off the rush because of it. He also has a solid build at this early age and should get stronger with time.

My biggest worry about him has nothing to do with him, and more about how he fits on the Oil long term. The oilers deepest position is the left wing at both the NHL and AHL levels. His game didn't seem to mesh well with Hemsky for the few games they played together. With the Oilers having other big holes to fill (specifically on D) and only limited cap space, I wonder if he could be the centrepiece to a deal for a big 2-way C or a big 2-way D.
I think Pajaarvi's spot is safer than any LW in our system other than Hall. We have Lander coming up soon, and I would bet good money that the Oil see them being 2/3 of the second line in 2013.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
HermanMunster
Easy Money

I see big potential in Paajarvi. Not first line super star, but certainly great or (dare I say) perhaps elite second liner. He's young and it was his first year of North American pro last year, so understandably he looked shaky at times. Once he puts it all together (size/hands/confidence), I think he'll be a very good player.

His biggest problems are confidence and finish. I think the finish will come with confidence and the confidence will come with more experience, but even if he doesn't reach the potential I see in him, he'll still be a great checking line/defensive forward who can chip in some offense.

HermanMunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Everest

There wasn't much not to like about his rookie season. He played a simple game. Without the razzle dazzle of Eberle or the game breaking explosions of Hall. But he was steady while getting less ice time than other rookies.

The eye catching thing about Mangus is his size. Its not so much that he towers above guys...or holds huge weight edge(s). But whats there, appears natural and he carries it all so fluently. He's got the speed burst of a small-ish player but the ability to cover the long races with another dimension of open ice skating as well.

HIs best shot right now...is his slapshot. I think that will have to be remedied. The clapper hasn't been an elite effective scoring shot for a long time now against NHL goalies.

And his hands aren't quick enough in small areas to be a deadly finisher. I dont think its common for this aspect to drastically improve in very many players.

Therefore, in order to become dominant...he'll need to do what most guys need to do: Continue to play a simple game, put the puck on net and use speed & power to get to loose pucks.

He can do this....but...he will need to awaken a more aggresive passion inside of him. Watching all last year...I don't know if I EVER saw him throw a hit. Thats another thing that has to change. Because...if your a big(ger) player without magic mittens...the only way to create the time & space your 'average hands' require to score goals...is to knock opposing players out of position with brute force. It doesn't have to be violent. Just well timed and persistent.

With all that said...he does have a heavy slapshot. It might be neat to see what happens if he sticks with it and continues to take the big shots from far out. Every once in awhile a winger comes along who can pound 'old school' goals. And I think thats why I find him appealing as a guy I like to cheer for.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
jmoss45

Re: Everest

You are right about not hitting. Cullen did an article about those who hit least this week and Pajaarvi and his buddy Omark are both top of the list. Heres the article:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=373131

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Re: Everest

You are right about not hitting. Cullen did an article about those who hit least this week and Pajaarvi and his buddy Omark are both top of the list. Heres the article:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=373131
LOL@who is number one.

Old
08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Paajarvi is unbelievably talented and would be a great 1st liner if he wasn't behind Hall. I'm pretty convinced he's going to wind up our 3rd best player behind Hall and RNH. He's just so fast and so good defensively. I think he's going to be a perennial 30 goal guy who can kill penalties and be sent out to shutdown the other team's top line

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 10:57 PM
GMofOilers

Gets the puck flies down the wing and shots from the blueline.......

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 11:00 PM
UnrefinedMcCrude

vCash: 333
Paajarvi is a power forward in waiting. As the year went on he seemed to get more comfortable using his size and speed. he needs to add some nasty to his game.

I think he'll take a step forward in development this year.

His confidence was growing as the year went on. he'll finish better this year.

It's nice to have a bigger kid with elite speed (and he does have elite wheels,) who knows how to protect the puck.

UnrefinedMcCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
I have high hopes for mps and I think that he will be better then klima with more heart

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

I still think Paajarvi > Hall, when it's all said and done.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Thats great because now we will have two franchise left wingers.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
beaterson

Quote:
Huge Paajarvi fan, but thats a bold statement. Surely you don't mean in points, right?

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
Huge Paajarvi fan, but thats a bold statement. Surely you don't mean in points, right?
In terms of overall impact on our team. Hall will be the centrepiece of this team for years to come (hopefully), however Paajarvi will anchor the second line and give us the depth we need, while playing solid two-way hockey.

Old
08-07-2011, 01:16 PM
enthropi

I think he is shaping up as a Loui Eriksson lite... We can hope for that anyway...

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
only if Hall's career ends in the next 3 yrs. I am a huge Pajaarvi fan but he hasnt shown enough to be any better then Cogliano "when its all said and done".
Hall is a franchise forward and comparing the 2 is not fair to either player.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
beaterson

Quote:
In terms of overall impact on our team. Hall will be the centrepiece of this team for years to come (hopefully), however Paajarvi will anchor the second line and give us the depth we need, while playing solid two-way hockey.
Kinda like a Kesler to Sedin type of thing?

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I know that's how I see Paajarvi. He's the type of player you'd gladly want as your first line winger... But we get to have him as our second line winger

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Basically.

Old
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
LOL@who is number one.
Milan Hejduk?

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:44 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Milan Hejduk?
Ach. Called me out on it. I read it quickly/backwards.

Old
08-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Oilwings

I love MP as our 2nd line winger. He not only has size but speed to burn. I'm pretty positive that we'll see a different MP this coming season.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:59 PM
JBell84

Personally I think his upside is overrated around here and I hope he gets shipped in a package for a 1D while his value is still high.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote