HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Kevin Allen: Islanders are the sleeper team of the EC

Old
08-08-2011, 08:40 AM
strife

vCash: 500
Kevin Allen: Islanders are the sleeper team of the EC

@kausatoday Kevin Allen
Though I have reservations about their defense, the #Islanders are my sleeper team in the #NHL East.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...eam-east_n.htm

strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
@kausatoday Kevin Allen
Though I have reservations about their defense, the #Islanders are my sleeper team in the #NHL East.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...eam-east_n.htm
well thats not saying much. I mean it does not take a rocket Scientist to call any team that is a border line playoff team a sleeper.
Its not like the guy is going out on a limb and saying the isles will finish first.
More mindless crap if you ask me,

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
strife

well I think that's the difference. the isles were not a borderline playoff team. going from near last to making the playoffs in one year, even 8th seed, is a huge improvement to me.

Not too mindless. And honestly, feels good to see that people are starting to recognize the talent and other teams are actually going to be wary when they play us.

Old
08-08-2011, 08:58 AM
strife

and post #200, added in for good measure =]

Old
08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
well thats not saying much. I mean it does not take a rocket Scientist to call any team that is a border line playoff team a sleeper.
Its not like the guy is going out on a limb and saying the isles will finish first.
Totally disagree. When guys like Kevin Allen start talking about us in a positive light and as a potential playoff team, I think that's a very good sign and helps to build some positive momentum.

Sure, it's August. Everyone's tied for first right now, everyone's healthy and upbeat, but it's a very good thing to have Kevin Allen calling us his sleeper pick in the East. A positive first step back to respectability.

Now the team just has to make it happen.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
well I think that's the difference. the isles were not a borderline playoff team. going from near last to making the playoffs in one year, even 8th seed, is a huge improvement to me.

Not too mindless. And honestly, feels good to see that people are starting to recognize the talent and other teams are actually going to be wary when they play us.
Agreed.

Allen is one of the more respected hockey writers this side of the border. For him to give positive press to the Isles is nice to see.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Going out on limbs is generally mindless crap.

Its a filler article, and I think you'll see a few more of these as the Islanders got attention down the stretch drive when Grabner was a human highlight reel machine.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:08 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
at what point were we a borderline playoff team?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Going out on limbs is generally mindless crap.

Its a filler article, and I think you'll see a few more of these as the Islanders got attention down the stretch drive when Grabner was a human highlight reel machine.
Yea there will be a bunch of those.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
at what point were we a borderline playoff team?
I think this season we are a border line playoff team at best.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
I think this season we are a border line playoff team at best.
I agree, hinges on goaltending on a 4th top four guy emerging (through trade ideally, or in house). Those two happen I think we can make it. Its not like 8th spot isn't usually mediocre and flawed.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I agree, hinges on goaltending on a 4th top four guy emerging (through trade ideally, or in house). Those two happen I think we can make it. Its not like 8th spot isn't usually mediocre and flawed.
and no 20 game losing streak....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
KyleBailey12

In my opinion, goaltending will determine whether we finish at the 8th seed.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
In my opinion, goaltending will determine whether we finish at the 8th seed.
that could be said for every team in the NHL

Old
08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

No doubt the Isles will have a formidable top 9 on offense and that is before you add Nino!

Defensively, it would be nice to add one more strong piece that has a habit of staying healthy for 82 games. A top 4 guy I keep coming to Scott Hannan as a very good choice for the Isles. He wont put up numbers, but he can play a nice #4 roll as a defensive defender.

Hamonic, MacDonald, Streit and Hannan would be a solid top 4 IMO with Jucina as the #5 and Eaton and Mottau filling out the 6 & 7 slots. I would be surprised to see de Haan make the team out of camp. Let him work in BPort for a season unless he is so good that he blows everyone away at camp.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
No doubt the Isles will have a formidable top 9 on offense and that is before you add Nino!

Defensively, it would be nice to add one more strong piece that has a habit of staying healthy for 82 games. A top 4 guy I keep coming to Scott Hannan as a very good choice for the Isles. He wont put up numbers, but he can play a nice #4 roll as a defensive defender.

Hamonic, MacDonald, Streit and Hannan would be a solid top 4 IMO with Jucina as the #5 and Eaton and Mottau filling out the 6 & 7 slots. I would be surprised to see de Haan make the team out of camp. Let him work in BPort for a season unless he is so good that he blows everyone away at camp.
That is not a bad choice. I would want someone to play on the top pair though.

Old
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
MTK

We are a better team than we were last year with Rolston and Reasoner. Nabokov situation is undecided. If DP is not carted out there we will be a lot better. We need a goalie and not a merry go round of goalies.

Playoff Team? Not yet, I think if Snow gets a top 4 defenseman than I can see us being close to the playoffs.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
jerseyislander22

doesn't hurt to have that put out there though... Lets prove him right grab that 7th or 8th seed... but to make people more comfortable about it grab a top 4 d man

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
C77

The team should definitely be better. They will almost certainly not have the amount of bad luck with injuries.

That said in order to make the playoffs the Isles are going to have to be good enough defensively and in goal in order to get to force games into overtime so that even if they don't win they at least get a point. Right now I don't see that happening when the team has to go up against the Carey Price's and Ryan Miller's of the league and it is counting on Al Montoya and whoever else happens to be healthy at the time.

My other concern is obviously the Top 4 defenseman that everyone has been talking about. I really like Hamonic and think he is going to be a very good player for the Isles but what if he struggles? People tend to forget just how hard it is to play defense at the NHL level. Also, at some point one of the defensemen will be injured during the season; if the team wants to make the playoffs it has to have sufficient depth in order to be, at the very least, competitive when it is down an important part. To me, adding that top 4 defenseman that will push other guys down from a #4 to a #5 and eat up 20 minutes a night is imperative.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
TennesseeJedd

I am hoping this is the year we turn some heads and make the playoff but a lot of things have to break right for this to happen.

The question mark in qoal must be answered

The defense has to be addressed by adding a Dman who will at the very least push Jurcina,Mottau and Wishart down the depth chart.

Going into any season, having question marks at either D or goal is a big concern let alone both.

For the young psyche of this team they are going to have to compete within the division, the bar should be set higher than just being one of 16 teams getting in. The past 2 years we played the better teams in the league pretty tough only to do the inexcusable and come out flat against teams closer to the Islanders in talent.

I forget which game it was, I think it was during that losing streak, but from the drop of the puck the Islanders went through the motions as if they had a cab waiting for them. That was the most embarrassed I have been being an Islander fan in a long time.

This teams psyche will be fragile, a lot will depend on how they handle the adversity that is sure to come up during the season.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
I am hoping this is the year we turn some heads and make the playoff but a lot of things have to break right for this to happen.

The question mark in qoal must be answered

The defense has to be addressed by adding a Dman who will at the very least push Jurcina,Mottau and Wishart down the depth chart.

Going into any season, having question marks at either D or goal is a big concern let alone both.

For the young psyche of this team they are going to have to compete within the division, the bar should be set higher than just being one of 16 teams getting in. The past 2 years we played the better teams in the league pretty tough only to do the inexcusable and come out flat against teams closer to the Islanders in talent.

I forget which game it was, I think it was during that losing streak, but from the drop of the puck the Islanders went through the motions as if they had a cab waiting for them. That was the most embarrassed I have been being an Islander fan in a long time.

This teams psyche will be fragile, a lot will depend on how they handle the adversity that is sure to come up during the season.
And I'm hoping that Rolston and Streit on the roster will help us through some of that adversity. The 20 game losing streak killed last season, perhaps with some veteran presense that losing streak doesn't go on as long as it did.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
and no 20 game losing streak....
You lose games cause you gave up more goals than scored. Those are factors that go into. Its like saying your gonna change your diet to avoid getting sick and being told to avoid getting food poisoning. If you did things right, it won't happen.

And DP and Lawson's 30 games of a 3.5 GAA vs everyone elses 2.5 is about as clear of a stat as there is. Better goaltending, a defense that can handle injuries, and you have no 20 game streaks like that.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
jerseyislander22

Quote:
You lose games cause you gave up more goals than scored. Those are factors that go into. Its like saying your gonna change your diet to avoid getting sick and being told to avoid getting food poisoning. If you did things right, it won't happen.

And DP and Lawson's 30 games of a 3.5 GAA vs everyone elses 2.5 is about as clear of a stat as there is. Better goaltending, a defense that can handle injuries, and you have no 20 game streaks like that.
yeah thats one way to look at it, but the other is having a calming presence amongst a group of young guys. it wasn't just about the goalies and the defense it was about a lot of green players and no one to shake them out of it. 20 game losing streaks have a lot of factors in them.. but with going through that last year your not gonna see any losing streak of that degree out of this squad again.

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

I see 8th. I don't think Snow, Cappy and even WANG will be wanting 39 to be out there hurting the team. THEY WILL TRY but he won't be named starter before playing one minute like last year. They KNOW they have to be as liked as possible for not just Nassau but Queens and Suffolk. They're selling THE ISLANDERS to anyone who wants to help with an arena.

And Rick can't sell insulin to a distressed diabetic right now, he's that bad.

The keys? I think the biggest key is the Isles maintaining that psychological element Zenon brought. FIGHT for every play. Don't take **** from anyone.

We have thew scorers, and Comeau and Parenteau should have better years (Parenteau just has to play D and hold the puck better, but if Thompson can reinvent his game to become valuable to Tampa, PA sure as hell can do it). I have no qualms about scoring improving, as Okposo and Streit will help. Bailey is another year older and hopefully ready to break out of his funk. Reasoner makes the fourth line competitive and Haley and Martin make them scrappy. Gillies on an odd game will give them spark - and I don't think ANYONE short of maybe Okposo (though I hope he grows some) won't respond (not sure about Reasoner either).
Grabs and Nielson will have a healthy Okposo so watch their line improve.

Hamonic and MacDonald are with Streit and let's not forget Jurcina will help the powerplay and in his own end, Eaton will be there as a shut down late game player as well.

Montoya has to show he can repeat and Nabokov need only play a Glen Healy level game to be solid enough.

I see no reason why we can't finish 8th, therefore. None outside of massive injuiries and the owner demanding Rick play. Gorton is gone to top it all off!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
That said in order to make the playoffs the Isles are going to have to be good enough defensively and in goal in order to get to force games into overtime so that even if they don't win they at least get a point. Right now I don't see that happening when the team has to go up against the Carey Price's and Ryan Miller's of the league and it is counting on Al Montoya and whoever else happens to be healthy at the time.
To me you are right and wrong
The defense and goal are the issue more than scoring. You are implying that there wont be enough scoring to offset the injury ridden goalie 2021 and our defense. Price and Miller are beatable....all goalies are in this league. Its not like we dont have weapons in Moulson, Tavares, Grabner and possibly Rolston (among others).
If we can get Montoya on a roll, we wont have to worry about when DP possibly goes down. We can trade Nabby and have Poulin up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
My other concern is obviously the Top 4 defenseman that everyone has been talking about. I really like Hamonic and think he is going to be a very good player for the Isles but what if he struggles? People tend to forget just how hard it is to play defense at the NHL level. Also, at some point one of the defensemen will be injured during the season; if the team wants to make the playoffs it has to have sufficient depth in order to be, at the very least, competitive when it is down an important part. To me, adding that top 4 defenseman that will push other guys down from a #4 to a #5 and eat up 20 minutes a night is imperative.
To me we need a guy that can be a second pairing guy (could have been Ehroff) so we can go
Streit-Mac
Hamonic-guy

We can put Reasoner or Rolston on that top line until we find someone. We need a top 4 guy on d immediately, or my prediction of 7th in the east is just a pipe dream.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote