HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Met Dan Boyle today!!

Old
08-10-2011, 11:15 PM
eightyseven

vCash: 500
Met Dan Boyle today!!

I'm not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to say that I work at a restaurant called Nando's in Orleans (a suburb of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) and I served Dan Boyle and his parents dinner today!! He was nice, but seemed pretty low-key/shy, his parents seemed amazed that I even recognized him. I'm no Sharks fan, but I'm definitely a hockey fan in general, so that made my day! I was tempted to ask for a photo...but I didn't have a camera on me and the restaurant was super busy at the time.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Aw, Danny boy with mama and papa Boyle.

Thanks!

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

I'm amazed that his parents were amazed you recognized him, being in Canada and all.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

My cousin is 19 and lives in San Jose. He was at a high school party at his buddy's house where they proceeded to party in the back yard into the wee small hours of the morning. Finally the neighbor pops his head over the fence and yells, "HEY! YOU GUYS NEED TO SHUT THE **** UP NOW!" They look up and to their surprise, they are being yelled at by none other than Danny B himself. Needless to say, they shut the **** up.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:35 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
but I didn't have a camera on me

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksohnoes! View Post
My cousin is 19 and lives in San Jose. He was at a high school party at his buddy's house where they proceeded to party in the back yard into the wee small hours of the morning. Finally the neighbor pops his head over the fence and yells, "HEY! YOU GUYS NEED TO SHUT THE **** UP NOW!" They look up and to their surprise, they are being yelled at by none other than Danny B himself. Needless to say, they shut the **** up.
His buddy is quite rich, eh? Living next to Dan Boyle.

He has a baby and and early practice the next day. I forgive his grumpiness.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
That was probably a good idea. Because step 2 in the Dan Boyle "shut the neighbors up" method is to call Murray and have him kick the front door down and start cracking skulls.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That was probably a good idea. Because step 2 in the Dan Boyle "shut the neighbors up" method is to call Murray and have him kick the front door down and start cracking skulls.
Or slewfoot all of them.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:37 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Shockingly enough, I don't have a cellphone at the moment. I'm planning on buying an iphone soon though.

Oh and his dad was wearing a San Jose Sharks polo-type t-shirt.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:43 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
His buddy is quite rich, eh? Living next to Dan Boyle.

He has a baby and and early practice the next day. I forgive his grumpiness.
Oh yeah, totally justified. My cousin and his friends better not pull that crap during the playoffs

Quote:
BEST. PARTY. EVER.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
BEST. PARTY. EVER.
Yes it would be. Murray would bring his ubertap and join in on the fun.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Markus
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Oh yeah, totally justified. My cousin and his friends better not pull that crap during the playoffs
Nah, let them party. We'll just find out where the visiting team is staying and we'll all chip in to get the a couple rooms on the same floor.

Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
I Dan Boyle. I remember his first home game in SJ... I was the guy heckling him from the rim of the upper deck, yelling "Hey Boyle, stop sucking!" He was awesome in the second half, and I bought his jersey a week later.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:28 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Or slewfoot all of them.
or join them

Old
08-11-2011, 02:08 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
or join them
He'd probably crack some skulls, then use said broken skulls to fashion himself a throne, then bust out the ubertap and drink all the beer himself while sitting on his throne of skulls.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:56 AM
oyster

Quote:
He probably needed to grab a stool first.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:25 AM
sonticus
Blown Tire

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster View Post
He probably needed to grab a stool first.
Aww you beat me to it!

sonticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
lsx

Quote:
Quote:
He'd probably crack some skulls, then use said broken skulls to fashion himself a throne, then bust out the ubertap and drink all the beer himself while sitting on his throne of skulls.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Eighth Fret

man, i want to meet a Shark so badly

i'd flip out if i met Boyle, Couture, Jumbo, Patty, Pavs, Clowe or Murray

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post

I have never really understood that (no offense intended). They are just people, just like you, they just happen to be better at something than you (I am sure you are better at something than them too, your skill is probably just more boring!). I have met a lot (so many I've lost track) of famous people and I have never treated them any different than anyone else.

In all likelyhood you are better educated, less stressed, and see your family a lot more often. You can make friends without the worry that they are just hanging around you for your fame or money.

I have met enough famous people to know that I really do not want to be famous. It's usually a fairly lonely life and you can only really spend time with other lonely, often shallow and self centered, famous people. You can't do simple things like go to the grocery store with your family, or go Christmas shopping at the mall. I wouldn't trade those things for money, and most of them would tell you the same thing. They do it because they are good at it, and it's all they know.

I'm not saying to pity them, I've met a lot of very nice very famous people, but don't put them on a pedastool. All they do is entertain you, it's really not that important, probably less important than what you do.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I have never really understood that (no offense intended). They are just people, just like you, they just happen to be better at something than you (I am sure you are better at something than them too, your skill is probably just more boring!). I have met a lot (so many I've lost track) of famous people and I have never treated them any different than anyone else.

In all likelyhood you are better educated, less stressed, and see your family a lot more often. You can make friends without the worry that they are just hanging around you for your fame or money.

I have met enough famous people to know that I really do not want to be famous. It's usually a fairly lonely life and you can only really spend time with other lonely, often shallow and self centered, famous people. You can't do simple things like go to the grocery store with your family, or go Christmas shopping at the mall. I wouldn't trade those things for money, and most of them would tell you the same thing. They do it because they are good at it, and it's all they know.

I'm not saying to pity them, I've met a lot of very nice very famous people, but don't put them on a pedastool. All they do is entertain you, it's really not that important, probably less important than what you do.
Eh, for the majority of hockey players though, I really believe they aren't easily recognized and not often bothered.

I recognize players every now and then when I'm about, but it seems like NOBODY else does.

Basketball, baseball, football, that's a little different.

Hockey unless you are AO, Sid, or some other superstar, you'll go unnoticed for the most part.

Edit: unless you're in Montreal or some place like that. I'm mostly speaking from a silicon valley POV.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Eh, for the majority of hockey players though, I really believe they aren't easily recognized and not often bothered.

I recognize players every now and then when I'm about, but it seems like NOBODY else does.

Basketball, baseball, football, that's a little different.

Hockey unless you are AO, Sid, or some other superstar, you'll go unnoticed for the most part.

Edit: unless you're in Montreal or some place like that. I'm mostly speaking from a silicon valley POV.
Which is why they like playing here

My comments were just general though. I don't get why people treat celebrities like they are superior beings or something. They are just people, treat them as such, they generally appreciate it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post

I remember when they used to have autograph sessions at Logitech Ice. Half the team one night and half the team a week or so later. It was awesome to meet the guys and shake their hands. I met Jumbo Joe his first season with the Sharks and I gave him a hug saying welcome to the Sharks - it was hillarious!!! He was cracking up.

SharkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Hold the Pickles

Met 4 sharks. Patty and Dody Wood once and Bernier and Gorges the other time. All of them were super cool, except Bernier, who was still cool, but not to the same level. Josh was a dork, which made me like him the most being a dork myself.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
My comments were just general though. I don't get why people treat celebrities like they are superior beings or something. They are just people, treat them as such, they generally appreciate it.
They are not just people, they are awesome people, which is why people want to meet them. It's like saying "hey Olivia Wilde/Mila Kunis/Scarlett Johansson is just another woman - why would you want to meet them."