HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do you feel about the Minnesota Wild franchise?

Old
08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
And thanks for taking Sheppard aswell.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

As an Oilers fan I dislike the Wild because they're sooooooo boooring

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
DecimatorDiecuts

1) From the standpoint of watching games I'm not overly excited to watch the Wild. This is more indicative of the lame divisional schedule than anything else though. If it was only a few games a year it would be better but watching 6 games is way too many.

2) Indifferent

3) I like the red and beige more than the green....I think the dark green is depressing as the main color. This is and always will be a subjective topic for any team's jerseys.

4) I think the Wild are generally underrated but still sit as a middle level team when placed appropriately. The last couple years I've been able to get some solid production from Koivu and Brunette in my pool's mid to late rounds because everybody else overlooks them. I think the net result of the recent trades will be a minimal improvement over where you were. I have no faith in Heatley anymore and Setiguchi will be a marginal improvement over Brunette

5) With Koivu hitting his stride the last couple years you've been more exciting to watch but I don't get giddy when I see we're playing you.

DecimatorDiecuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Wooden Pickle
Valtieli Filppula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
They're there. They're a nonsucky team. They're worth getting excited about neither as a great team nor a lousy team, and stoutly in the middle third of franchises on my respect-o-meter.

Basically neutral on them. Don't love them, don't hate them, don't fear them, don't love playing them.
Since the Wild are 9-2 all time against the Bruins and undefeated in Boston, I absolutely hate seeing them on the schedule...ugh

That being said, I like their fanbase, logo, and don't see them as a gimmicky expansion team but as a legitimate franchise.

Wooden Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

I hate your team because of your lying Owner and wish you would run him out of town on a rail so I could like Minny again.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
se7en
infamous...

hahaha I definitely had to reply to you Danish!

Yes, we are definitely known for loving our hockey at all levels, especially college & High School levels.. BUT I think losing the North Stars was that wake up call that "hey, we cant forget about our pro team!" I think people just get frusterated easily in Minnesota with the pro franchise because of a few things:

There is so much love for the sport at all levels that we really enjoy & respect all those kids out there playing for just the love of the game. There's no money, no contracts, it's all about winning that chamopionship & the prdie that comes with it.. When you get to the pro level there's all this new nonsense involved. When we see guys not giving their all when getting paid milklions to play a game that we'd all play for a fraction of the price or free if we had that chance we get upset. Then when we start seeing questionable managment moves, players getting disgruntled & the team metophorically stuck in the mud people start thinking "why the hell are we paying $80 a seat for this when we can go wacth our homegrown local boys that just LOVE the game play for a few bucks...

We started to see our epic attendance records fall aprt the last couple seasons but that was because, like i said, we were stuck.. No light at the end of the tunnel in sight & we started realizing that we werent getting our hard earned moneys worth.. I think Fletch really did a great job getting the fans back on board & I think we see almost all sell-outs again this season & going forward..

So in return, I say thanks to you SJ Sharks! I think we came up with trades that really made both parties happy.. We both fit eachothers needs & I really think we're both better for it.. I for one will be rooting hard for you guys this season because I would love to see Burnsy & Havlat lift the cup with you guys.. (Shep not so much.. hahaha) But I consider your Sharks our friend now. Funny to say but I think if you had to pick 2 teams in the league and call them BFF right now it's us two. hahaha

Oh & Im one of the few MINNY fans that doesnt mind being called "Minny" at all! So use it all you want!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
BostonAJ

They do need a personality injection. Of the 30 teams, I find them the most faceless. Mikko's more of a second star than the face of a franchise. All those years of ultra-defensive hockey sorta kept them from getting any focus, IMO. Minnesota fans deserves a good team, and management needs to give them a star player.

When I hear one of my favorite teams is playing them, I think, "Oh. They're playing Minnesota. I think I can name four guys on that team."

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
hahaha I definitely had to reply to you Danish!

Yes, we are definitely known for loving our hockey at all levels, especially college & High School levels.. BUT I think losing the North Stars was that wake up call that "hey, we cant forget about our pro team!" I think people just get frusterated easily in Minnesota with the pro franchise because of a few things:

There is so much love for the sport at all levels that we really enjoy & respect all those kids out there playing for just the love of the game. There's no money, no contracts, it's all about winning that chamopionship & the prdie that comes with it.. When you get to the pro level there's all this new nonsense involved. When we see guys not giving their all when getting paid milklions to play a game that we'd all play for a fraction of the price or free if we had that chance we get upset. Then when we start seeing questionable managment moves, players getting disgruntled & the team metophorically stuck in the mud people start thinking "why the hell are we paying $80 a seat for this when we can go wacth our homegrown local boys that just LOVE the game play for a few bucks...

We started to see our epic attendance records fall aprt the last couple seasons but that was because, like i said, we were stuck.. No light at the end of the tunnel in sight & we started realizing that we werent getting our hard earned moneys worth.. I think Fletch really did a great job getting the fans back on board & I think we see almost all sell-outs again this season & going forward..

So in return, I say thanks to you SJ Sharks! I think we came up with trades that really made both parties happy.. We both fit eachothers needs & I really think we're both better for it.. I for one will be rooting hard for you guys this season because I would love to see Burnsy & Havlat lift the cup with you guys.. (Shep not so much.. hahaha) But I consider your Sharks our friend now. Funny to say but I think if you had to pick 2 teams in the league and call them BFF right now it's us two. hahaha

Oh & Im one of the few MINNY fans that doesnt mind being called "Minny" at all! So use it all you want!
Sorry to quote my own post but Fel, would you agree with this assesment?

Old
08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

They have a great fan base is all I can pretty much say, I only really get to see them play once a year so I kinda have no feelings towards them.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
se7en
infamous...

Oh & also, to everyone, THANK YOU for all your comments! Sorry Im not replying to all of you directly (even though I'd like to) but I reall yappreciate all the feed back & a extra thanks for helping pass my work day. You guys have made it an enjoyable work day!

Thanks again to everyone! keep it going! haha

Old
08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Every season I try to watch all 82 pens games. However there are some that I don't care if I miss, they just don't excite me. The wild are in this list.

Ziggyjoe21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
They giftwrapped us Nick Leddy and took Cam Barker off our hands. I'm a pretty big fan of the Wild.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Without reading a single word of your original post, I would just like to say that I've always liked the Wild. I'm usually not a fan of singular names, like Wild or Lightning. But I like theirs. And, I really love their team logo. I mean, you have a river for a mouth, things don't get much more creative and awesome. But most of all, and I can't explain why exactly, I've just always liked the way they play hockey. There was one game last season when i watched them play the Sabres and I thought they made a on of mistakes, they didn't look sharp at all and the crowd wasn't really into it either. But just about every Wild game I've ever seen I've liked the way they play, and I consider them my 3rd favorite team. I love northern yet smaller market US teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota for some reason. SO anyways, there ya go.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
1) Not a cheesy expansion team, but I don't exactly get overly excited when I see you on our schedule. There's no rivalry, and without Gaborik there's no real gamebreakers, though Koivu's pretty damn good. (FWIW I feel this way about a bunch of WC teams).

2) Probably. Then again, the general attitude around here towards Columbus and teams located in the Sunbelt makes it pretty easy to be more highly regarded then them by default.

3) They're pretty nice on the whole, the logo is a bit "busy" and I'm not sure I'd agree it's the nicest non-expansion, but it is nice and goes well with the sweaters.

4) Still a middle-tier team to me. Playoff threat most of the time, but can't get over that hump into perennial playoff team.

5) I'm undecided as to your style, mostly because the last time I saw the Canes play Minnesota mid-season they still were a Lemaire team. I can't use the two games in Finland as an accurate gauge and I don't watch many Wild games on TV as usually your games are ending as I'm getting home from my games.

Last edited by DaveG: 08-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
hockeydemon05

Send a message via AIM to hockeydemon05
I try to watch 65-70 games a year (not including playoffs). Its tough while at college and dealing with work. I don't make it a priority to watch the Wild games...that is all

edit: I like their logo and I don't associate them with a boring style of play

hockeydemon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:11 PM
alx83*

Disappointed.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

Never was a fan of the name or logo, but I do love these jerseys:

I think I dislike "Wild" because Minnesota feels like such a traditional market, and the logo and name are sort-of the opposite of that. It's like if the Canadiens moved and Montreal got a replacement franchise called the Fightin' Fierce.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

As an Avs fan I think that the fans of Minnesota deserve a better franchise.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Wingdings

They're all right. Minnesota is a respectable franchise. Great fan base and all. For a while I thought their jerseys were "meh." But the logo really is one of a kind.

In general though I don't really think about the Wild except for when the Wings play them. Just another team.

Wingdings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Good franchise let down by some poor decisions. Looks like they are taking it a little more seriously now though.

They certainly need to hang on to their good prospects a whole lot more.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The Flames and Oilers fans in the thread are hilarious. Go back to fighting each other for last place.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
BostonAJ

I have a beef with Minnesota.

I remember the North Stars as well, and there was some damn exciting hockey played by that team. Broten, Modano, Hatcher, Zubov, Nieuwendyk, Sydor... I was pissed when they moved to Dallas. One of the only hockey hotbeds in the country was without an NHL team. But Dallas had one.

So then they get a team back. It's an expansion team, so they're gonna suck, but at least they're back on the map. Now it's like ten years later and they're crap. The worst kind of crap. Not Edmonton crap where you think, "Hey, in three or four years they could be really good." Minnesota's like, 8th-10th place crap. Just mired in it. Management has given the Wild Mikko Koivu and Andrew Brunette and Brent Burns and a buncha crap. Minnesota is not supposed to be a place where hockey players wind up wallowing in obscurity.

I want good Minnesota hockey back. I want to love 'em or hate 'em. Also, screw the Stars.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Insomniac99

So now to my questions to fans around the league on how you guys view us:

As a Sabres Fan

1) How do teams & fans around the league view us? are we just a cheesy expansion team thats considered filler on your schedule or do you guys look forward to playing us?
Filler, but that goes for most West coast teams to me anyways, so take that with a grain of salt. You guys do seem a bit cheesy though

2) Do we get a little extra respect over most other new expansion teams from around the league for being a team from an American hockey mecca & for most people knowing that we shouldnt have lost the N'stars in the first place & for having great fans? or are people indifferent to that?
I respect the other expansion teams moreso I think. I think the North Stars represented Minnesota well, and I see it as a disservice to Minnesota that the name wasn't brought back.

3) I was surprised to see the Wild get voted as having the best logo recently (not counting the O6 teams) do most people see us as having generally good uni's too or is the concensus that we need to drop the red?
I'm not a fan of the logo and I hate the colors even more. I always think of Christmas when I see the Wild play. That being said, the logo IS very clever, just doesnt make it appealing.

4) Has bringing in Fletcher and all the recent moves he's making give the impression that the Wild are finally on the right track & that we're starting to command a little respectability or are we still just viewed as kind of a bottom/middle dweller?
Not knowledgeable enough on the Wild/West coast to answer this.

5) Have people finally gotten past the stigma that were a Lemaire trapping , defense only team? Or are we still considered "boring" to people?
Not knowledgeable enough on the Wild/West coast to answer this.

What it boils down to, is that I really miss the north stars. Minnesota, as you said, is the American hockey mecca and should be treated as such. It deserves to have a storied and respected franchise. I see the wild as almost a slap in the face to the people of Minnesota and fans of North American hockey in general. The uni and logo is a joke. I feel for you guys because hockey runs through your veins.

Bring back the North Stars!!!

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 1088
^^ So what your saying is you hate Christmas?

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
El Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesjustwin View Post
They are one of those meh franchises like Florida that will toil in mediocrity for years.
Actually, the Flames will toil in mediocrity for the forseeable future since Iginla and Kipper are not getting any younger and your prospect pool sucks, unlike Florida.

As a Hawk fan, I wish we had a rivalry with the Wild. I wouldn't be opposed to moving them to the Central.

Second, I loved the original green jerseys and the thirds and feel that they should stick with the green

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote