HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

40 Minutes of Pavel Bure

Old
08-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
Bure was better than Ovi. He did everything by himself, and was the one of the most dominant players I have ever seen. Blew by guys like they were nothing, haha but if i do remember soemthing from watching him as a child, he never really looked for the pass
That's funny because the knock on OV 2 years ago was that he didn't use his teammates (like Crosby) and was called selfish. But hey, different eras right?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Bure was better than Ovi. He did everything by himself, and was the one of the most dominant players I have ever seen. Blew by guys like they were nothing, haha but if i do remember soemthing from watching him as a child, he never really looked for the pass
OV is Bure add Jagr.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

Well done on this compilation, thanks for the great memories of Bure.

Pavel Bure was something real special. No player that I can think of else ever had his explosiveness/speed/hands/fiestiness/shot that Pavel had, in the total package. Bure always seemed to be at the right place at the right time and the puck seemed to always find him. It's a shame his knees had to end up on the OP table so often, but.... he certainly left an amazing legacy depsite that.

The only current player that reminds me (only partially) of him is Kovalchuk and a few others.....

Kovalchuk looks very much like him in skating style, explosiveness, and full speed puck movement...... but a tad notch slower, and without the amazing soft hands and circus moves.

Datyusk has the hands perhaps even better, but not the speed. The amazing things Datsyuk does, Bure would do at full speed in a flash of an eye.

Ovechkin has the explosiveness, and ability to pile the goals, but not really the hands. The energy is on par with Bure in terms of hitting.

Kovy and Ovy may have the better shot, but Bure wasn't that far off...

I still remember watching his last short few seasons on the Rangers and Bure's last PRE-SEASON game injury (to a stupid rut in the ice) which effectively ended his playing career . His poor knees.

It would have been amazing to see how Bure would have fared with the "New NHL"... but that's been pondered about a million times already on HF..... sigh. Can't see enough Bure highlights.

EDIT: Oh, lets not forget Fedorov..... but they weren't completely comparable in their play. Fedorov dominated the game in a very different way. I wonder what legacy the current generation of Russian stars will leave, compared to Bure and Fedorov.

Last edited by Whaddagoal: 08-08-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Fedorov
Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
That's funny because the knock on OV 2 years ago was that he didn't use his teammates (like Crosby) and was called selfish. But hey, different eras right?
Bure wasn't selfish (btw, I don't think Ovechkin was selfish either); it's more a case of.. in this case, they often went with the best option, which was the solo effort. Those two players are so good, that they (rightfully) trusted themselves more than their teammates.

The same way Ovechkin takes shots from anywhere, everywhere (he's averaged more than 5 per game since he joined the league!), Bure could throw on the speed and make a dangerous move. It doesn't mean either of them were selfish, it means they had a very talented and special ability they could activate seemingly at will.

2:00 mark of

He had great vision and hands, but combined with his speed, there were frequently nobody else around that could have been ready for his passes. He was around a guy and halfway to the net before you realized it was time to get on your horse and head for open ice. Literally - in those top-10 plays, there were players that headed for the net or for open ice, but Bure finished what he was doing and had the puck in the net before they could be ready. It happens to great goalscorers.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji00 View Post
hes still nowhere near as good as ovi
As much as I love Ovechkin, he still has some catching-up to do here. You have to respect the three Richards (one was before the introduction of the award), two 60-goals seasons, five 50-goals seasons and two peaks. It is just a shame Bure had this drop-off in production in between due to injuries.

But really, rather than run any horse races, let's just recall how great Bure was and enjoy the videos.

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Moore Money

Great videos. too bad there wasn't HD back then

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Really too bad he was injured so often.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:01 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I agree with everyone here it is a joke that this guy isn't in the Hall of Fame yet. Truly one of the best pure offensive players ever to hit the NHL ice. He's a superstar a lot of people in my generation grew up with and basically worshipped. I still have a Bure poster hanging here in my basement 7 feet away from me. I am a Panthers fan but I was a Bure fan long before the trade (I did basically **** myself when it happened). He'll always be a favorite of mine and they have to put him in the Hall.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
just absolutely ridiculous speed. I doubt we will see anything like that every again.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Great vid Makaveli... Some quality music in there too, which was surprising for a highlight reel What is it? Like the second tune for instance.

Hard to not love a player like Bure. There hasn't really been anyone else with his skillset that I can think of.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:44 AM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Great vid Makaveli... Some quality music in there too, which was surprising for a highlight reel What is it? Like the second tune for instance.

Hard to not love a player like Bure. There hasn't really been anyone else with his skillset that I can think of.
The one playing during the Calgary highlights is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMn2JxyQmtQ

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Cheers!

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Zuuuuc

Simply amazing. Thanks for sharing. I remember the 05-06 season with all the rule changes opening the game up, wondering how Pavel Bure would have fared in a league like that. I dont think 70 goals would have been out of the question, especially since he's hit 60 in the dead puck era and with the 2 line offside pass

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

i wish i could have watched him more growing up. way too young to really be able to enjoy Bure. All i get to do is watch old youtube vids.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
fiji00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluss View Post
As much as I love Ovechkin, he still has some catching-up to do here. You have to respect the three Richards (one was before the introduction of the award), two 60-goals seasons, five 50-goals seasons and two peaks. It is just a shame Bure had this drop-off in production in between due to injuries.

But really, rather than run any horse races, let's just recall how great Bure was and enjoy the videos.
are you serious? as i recall ovechkins goals > bures goals . easily.

i really dont care about the numbers bure put up in his era full of plugs. its way harder to score today. there were still defensive mishaps often in that era an d a lot of bums. its not like bure could hit like ovi or pass like ovi and o yeah score nicer goals then ovi.

some of his assist totals are so laughable.

fiji00* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
OV is Bure add Jagr.
OV isn't as good as either of them were.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
therealdeal

My lord, beating Lidstrom straight up in open ice, that's badass.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
unknown33

OV is better than Bure, I can't see how anyone could think otherwise.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
OV is better than Bure, I can't see how anyone could think otherwise.
OV is not on the same planet as bure.

Bure scored 60ish goals in the dead puck era.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Those wheels, mon dieu.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

I see we have some posters who weren't old enough to have had the privilege of watching Bure play.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
OV is not on the same planet as bure.

Bure scored 60ish goals in the dead puck era.
what a joke

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji00 View Post
are you serious? as i recall ovechkins goals > bures goals . easily..
How you are comparing goals?
Bure best seasons are 60g, 60g, 51g, 58g, 59g, total 437g, peak average 57.6g.
Ovechkin best seasons are 52g, 65g, 56g, 50g, total 301g, peak average 55.75g
Granted, Ovechkin is much younger, but he has still some catching-up to do both in terms of peak production and goal total.
He may do it eventually, especially the goals total, but you have to respect the older guy who has already put up a complete career.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Zuluss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
OV is Bure add Jagr
OV isn't as good as either of them were,
Add "yet", please This Ovi guy is young yet and he still has the time to catch up with both of them, which makes him pretty exciting, you know

Old
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

I remember the week leading up to his first game as a Canuck, there was outlandish hype around Bure. My parents talked about him, and they paid no attention to hockey in general. And somehow, without scoring a goal, Bure managed to exceed expectations in his first game.

How many rookies can say they've brought an arena to the edge of their seats in their first shift?

He may not have been the best player of his time, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a generational talent.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote