HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev Torches Media, Clouston in Interview

Old
08-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

vCash: 500
Kovalev Torches Media, Clouston in Interview

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

Confirming what we already knew.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
At least now we know Brennan and Garrioch write most of their articles hammered. Makes a little more sense now.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Afro Thunder*

Good **** Kovy.

The rest of the world needs to know about our crappy ass media.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
SenatorsFC

Send a message via MSN to SenatorsFC
awesome. Like it's been said, it isn't all that surprising.

SenatorsFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Kovalev went up a notch in my book, he is now -49 instead of -50.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Good.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
That's awesome.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Hey may be right about Clousten and the media, but the guy never owns up to anything on his part which drives me crazy, good riddance! Good luck getting that final year in the NHL your looking for.

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
OgieO

Pretty damning of CC

Quote:
I asked Sergei Gonchar(notes) what game model Ottawa had. The defenseman could only throw his hands up.

"In two seasons I still couldn't understand the ideas of our coach Cory Clouston. It seemed that he scoffed at some players."

What do you mean?

"You have to treat players kindly. If you leave someone on the bench you should explain why it happened. This is coach's job. But when a player is benched and doesn't understand what is happening, he becomes lost."

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
hawthy

This is hilarious. Talk about the ultimate parting shot for years of getting shredded in the media. The beer thing, while not a huge deal, is still pretty embarrassing for the gents down at the Sun to read.

The guy was a let down in all but about 3 games in a Sens jersey (and he talks about himself getting chastised in more places than just Ottawa, which shows it wasn't just our guys who thought he was lazy), but boy did he ever release his pent up emotions.

Interesting stuff said about Clouston, too.

hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
DG

Well, you can't say Alexei isn't candid. I think he always has been.

Hopefully Gonchar is less disillusioned with a new coach.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Bleh, when it comes from Kovalev it doesn't mean much of anything. Guy just doesn't understand the meaning of owning up. Still pretty harsh words though.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthy View Post
This is hilarious. Talk about the ultimate parting shot for years of getting shredded in the media. The beer thing, while not a huge deal, is still pretty embarrassing for the gents down at the Sun to read.

The guy was a let down in all but about 3 games in a Sens jersey
(and he talks about himself getting chastised in more places than just Ottawa, which shows it wasn't just our guys who thought he was lazy), but boy did he ever release his pent up emotions.

Interesting stuff said about Clouston, too.
That is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on these boards. You really don't remember how well Kovalev played in Dec-Feb of the 09-10 season do you? He really carried the team while Spezza was injured and without him stepping up, Ottawa likely misses the playoffs.

And for the record, he had 37 points in 39 games from Dec 1 until the Olympic break.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
We all know that the Garriochs and Brennans of the media are blithering idiots, but I'm so sick of Kovalev never owning up to anything. Remarkable how nothing is ever his fault. I guess he is right and everyone else that's ever watched, coached, or played with him is wrong, huh?

Good riddance Kovy.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Good **** Kovy.

The rest of the world needs to know about our crappy ass media.
There is media in other citys that are just as hard on some players its not just ottawa.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Bueller

Quote:
Let them make up nonsense about me. But I am happy with what I have done. I have played not for myself but for the team and fans. Teammates have never said a bad word about me. Fans are happy.

Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
We all know that the Garriochs and Brennans of the media are blithering idiots, but I'm so sick of Kovalev never owning up to anything. Remarkable how nothing is ever his fault. I guess he is right and everyone else that's ever watched, coached, or played with him is wrong, huh?

Good riddance Kovy.
Have to look at it through Kovalev`s eyes.
He has a Stanley Cup Ring which he was a big part off (21Pts in 23GP)
He has over 1000 career points in the regular season
In the playoffs he has 100 points and his numbers are as good as Alfredssons for example.

I am sure Kovalev believes the numbers do not lie

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

I can see that everyone seems to have short memories. The guy was fine in his first season, sure he was overpaid at 5m per season but everyone knew it. He was on pace for over 50 points and 4th on the team in scoring.

Old
hawthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
That is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on these boards. You really don't remember how well Kovalev played in Dec-Feb of the 09-10 season do you? He really carried the team while Spezza was injured and without him stepping up, Ottawa likely misses the playoffs.

And for the record, he had 37 points in 39 games from Dec 1 until the Olympic break.
Hey, thanks for your ability to pass an opinion respectably. I appreciate it.

The numbers during that stretch are fine, I'm talking about his style of play. In terms of compete level (or at least what I perceive as compete level), I do not believe it was there on most nights, even during this stretch which I do remember, even during his days in Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York, etc. He is skilled, and skilled players will get points, but it doesn't change the fact that on an individual game basis, I do not believe he had more than a handful of good individual game performances in the time he was with with the Senators.

Don't talk down to me. You are not better than me, so refute something without resorting to insulting me, because like I said, you are in no position to.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthy View Post
Hey, thanks for your ability to pass an opinion respectably. I appreciate it.

The numbers during that stretch are fine, I'm talking about his style of play. In terms of compete level (or at least what I perceive as compete level), I do not believe it was there on most nights, even during this stretch which I do remember, even during his days in Montreal, Pittsburgh, New York, etc. He is skilled, and skilled players will get points, but it doesn't change the fact that on an individual game basis, I do not believe he had more than a handful of good individual game performances in the time he was with with the Senators.

Don't talk down to me. You are not better than me, so refute something without resorting to insulting me, because like I said, you are in no position to.
I think your expectations were far too high then.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Tuna99

Eveyrthing in this article is true - Brennan and Garrioche are fat slobs with very low IQ's that know nothing about hockey, the players hated Clouston, Kovalev is a floater and a flake.

This interview is why we needed to rebuild, to much poison in the place, it sucked

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Kovalev did in Ottawa exactly what he's done his entire career. I wasn't disappointed with what he brought because I expected it. He was signed as a gut reaction to Heatley leaving, to provide a bit of offense and star power to entice ticket sales.

I do like how he lambasted the Ottawa media though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brennan write a brief article taking shots back at Kovalev. I understand that the best hockey journalists from this neck of the woods strive to be in Toronto or Montreal, but man I get tired of guys like Brenan and Garioch.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

I wish Kovy ripped into Brennan and Garrioch more.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Iggy77

Sounds like more confirmation that CC was a poor communicator if players didn't know why they were benched and had no idea what the system or plan was.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:32 PM
hawthy

EK,

That's a fair enough opinion, but I would argue it's too subjective to make that call.

I know the Kovalev debate (and not just in Ottawa but all through his career) has been a pretty heated one, and probably one that has no clear answer in terms of assessing him overall. Some focus on his point totals (which I do not argue have been good over a career). Others, like me I guess, maybe put equally as much emphasis on other things like compete level (which is all in how one perceives it, I know), intensity, etc, etc, which are things that make him frustrating to me as a fan.

If it's unfair to expect players to compete hard, especially while playing for your favourite team, then perhaps my expectations were too high. I do not side with the media, because despite my position on this, I do think that he was unfairly criticized for the team's shortcomings. Some will say his style of play just gives the illusion that he's not competing as hard as he should, I guess it's whether or not you buy it. I don't.

It's not just Kovalev with me, either. I don't put 100% stock in numbers/stats in hockey, because they don't tell the whole story. Obviously they tell a chunk of it, no argument there (and you did point out a stretch of games where Kovalev did produce). It's the same reason why Yashin frustrated me while in Ottawa (not that he's as skilled, but just in terms of the way he would compete some nights), and although I, like most, liked him while he was in Ottawa, Heatley had the same symptom of being a bit lackadaisical.

My type of player is compete+production (production defined as what you're supposed to be bringing to the team, be it scoring goals, setting up goals, shutting down forwards, enforcing, stopping pucks, etc). Kovalev, again just in my eyes, had one, but not the other.