HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Kovalev Torches Media, Clouston in Interview

Old
08-08-2011, 12:35 PM
yogibear

vCash: 500
Ottawa wasted money on Kovalev, without any surprises for many people.

Does someone knows if Melnyk asked Murray to hire Kovalev or not? I have heard this a few times.

yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
No link?

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthy View Post
EK,

That's a fair enough opinion, but I would argue it's too subjective to make that call.

I know the Kovalev debate (and not just in Ottawa but all through his career) has been a pretty heated one, and probably one that has no clear answer in terms of assessing him overall. Some focus on his point totals (which I do not argue have been good over a career). Others, like me I guess, maybe put equally as much emphasis on other things like compete level (which is all in how one perceives it, I know), intensity, etc, etc, which are things that make him frustrating to me as a fan.

If it's unfair to expect players to compete hard, especially while playing for your favourite team, then perhaps my expectations were too high. I do not side with the media, because despite my position on this, I do think that he was unfairly criticized for the team's shortcomings. Some will say his style of play just gives the illusion that he's not competing as hard as he should, I guess it's whether or not you buy it. I don't.

It's not just Kovalev with me, either. I don't put 100% stock in numbers/stats in hockey, because they don't tell the whole story. Obviously they tell a chunk of it, no argument there (and you did point out a stretch of games where Kovalev did produce). It's the same reason why Yashin frustrated me while in Ottawa (not that he's as skilled, but just in terms of the way he would compete some nights), and although I, like most, liked him while he was in Ottawa, Heatley had the same symptom of being a bit lackadaisical.

My type of player is compete+production (production defined as what you're supposed to be bringing to the team, be it scoring goals, setting up goals, shutting down forwards, enforcing, stopping pucks, etc). Kovalev, again just in my eyes, had one, but not the other.
Oh I really get having your own type of player and being frustrated with a player like Kovalev seems to be normal. Hell I was getting frustrated at the guy all the time but I just feel like he is getting a worse treatment then he deserves. He did bring a lot to this team (offensively) for almost half a season in 09-10 and that really was vital since the team made the playoffs by so few points.

Now he did have a pretty bad 10-11 season that ended up with him being traded but so did the entire team. The guy did not perform up to his contract but he was a very suitable 2nd line RW in 09-10 in my opinion atleast.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
MikeyMagic

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
I'm glad he ripped into the media and told us what we assumed about CC, but this guy sure is out to lunch if he thinks everyone is just basing their opinion off of what one NY reporter said early in his career. I'm curious as to which 2 teams offered him a contract, guess they didn't watch at all last season or playoffs.

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
DefenseMinister

It should also be noted that while Kovalev may have played the same way in Ottawa as he did everywhere else his entire career, the results were very much diminished (probably as a result of his age).

I think the Sens knew what they were getting into effort-wise when they signed him and you weren't going to have a 38 year old change the way he plays at that point in his career, but I'm sure they were counting on his good spells to be more sustained than they were. You can put up with him disappearing for a time if you know that he'll carry the team for a stretch as well. He never did that and that's why his time here was so disappointing.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Juneemoon

Apparently he put on his jersey in somebody's grandma's kitchen....note the picture in the background of a hedgehog holding an apple...

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Apparently he put on his jersey in somebody's grandma's kitchen....note the picture in the background of a hedgehog holding an apple...

LOL

What the **** is that?

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Kovalev is damned lucky to have lasted so long in the NHL with absolutely no work ethic.

I seriously doubt any team in the league offered him a contract for 2011-12.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Tweeted by Brucie Bruce

Quote:
The naive are out in full force. #sens
Ya, well....you still suck!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Have to look at it through Kovalev`s eyes.
He has a Stanley Cup Ring which he was a big part off (21Pts in 23GP)
He has over 1000 career points in the regular season
In the playoffs he has 100 points and his numbers are as good as Alfredssons for example.

I am sure Kovalev believes the numbers do not lie
I completely agree that his career numbers are good, but like some other posters have said, there is more to being a complete player than numbers. Things like forechecking and backchecking hard, blocking shots, hustle, defense, etc were missing from his game. He almost always looked like he just was going (slowly) through the motions. Just think, with all the talent and skill he has, if he'd gone all out all the time, he could have been one of the greatest players of all time.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TSA0402

Not sure what people expect from Kovalev. He was injured the first year, and the second year the whole team just sucked. Some players play the game with less intensity and more finesse.

The big question is how Clouston's coaching system and attitude has affected the development of the younger players.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
I can see that everyone seems to have short memories. The guy was fine in his first season, sure he was overpaid at 5m per season but everyone knew it. He was on pace for over 50 points and 4th on the team in scoring.
Not to mention that he spent a good part of last year bouncing around the lineup, including multiple long stints on the 4th line.

He was frustrating for sure, but I think he nearly played up to expectations. There's no doubt that 5M was an oerpayment, but like you said, I think everyone knew that the second it was announced. That's what Ottawa seems to need to do to entice talented guys though.

I have never been a fan of his, but he did get a bit of a raw deal. Sure his work ethic sucked, but if anyone expected that to change when he was signed in his late 30s, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I completely agree that his career numbers are good, but like some other posters have said, there is more to being a complete player than numbers. Things like forechecking and backchecking hard, blocking shots, hustle, defense, etc were missing from his game. He almost always looked like he just was going (slowly) through the motions. Just think, with all the talent and skill he has, if he'd gone all out all the time, he could have been one of the greatest players of all time.
I think there's a difference between critiquing Kovalev's career and Kovalev's stint in Ottawa though. He has never done those things and I am very critical of that - one of the most frustratingly talented players in NHL history. But I never expected him to miraculously start doing them when he became a Senator. And I'm sure you didn't either.

DG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Why has nobody commented on his plan to return to the NHL after his two years in Russia....I for one find that hilarious, unless he's talking about playing for 50k in the ECHL lol

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Why has nobody commented on his plan to return to the NHL after his two years in Russia....I for one find that hilarious, unless he's talking about playing for 50k in the ECHL lol

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Tweeted by Brucie Bruce

Ya, well....you still suck!
I agree with Big Brucie, his bag wasn't cans of beer, it was cans of lard, we are so naive for thinking he would be resourceful enough to bring beer!

Pancakes Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:35 PM
SenatorsFC

Send a message via MSN to SenatorsFC
Quoting from Twitter :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmac1974
@SunGarrioch When you pass through metal detectors do you prefer Dos Equis? #staythirstymyfriend

SenatorsFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Anything that makes ol' Boo Boo and Dum Dum Donnie look stupid to the rest of the world is all aces in my books!

If anything, Kovalev's two year deal just paid off.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

I'm glad Kovy called out the Sun media

...it's also great to hear that Gonchar didn't know what the **** was going when he was being coached by CC, I'm expecting a 50 point season from that guy this year if the team can stay healthy.

Shanny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Garrioch and Brennan write for SUN media: the only qualification to work for them is to be full of hot air and have no brain. It's also true for anyone who takes any SUN media information seriously.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:54 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Garrioch and Brennan write for SUN media: the only qualification to work for them is to be full of hot air and have no brain. It's also true for anyone who takes any SUN media information seriously.
lol...who's taking them seriously?

Old
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
lol...who's taking them seriously?
No one here but I just wanted to say it.

I've been reading the Sun after working out cause it's what they have at the dinner I like to go to after the gym and I just had let something out...

Old
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Cowen Time

Yikes, did Loafalev show a glimmer of passion in that article? How does he explained being benched when he played in Montreal - Clouston wasn't coaching there, and in Pittsburgh "But my style didn't fit with the game coach Dan Byslma was implementing."

Dang that Bylsma, implementing a style of play that required you to work every one of your 30-40 second shifts during a game.

Amusing stuff about the media, but mostly just more deflection by Kovalev to pass off his lack of team play, passion, and not really caring as us dumb Canadians not understanding hockey. Good riddance, have fun floating in Russia

Last edited by Cowen Time: 08-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Brucies blog:

Quote:
Never a dull moment when Alexei Kovalev gets in front of a microphone.
We witnessed plenty of them here.
He had lots to say an interview with a Russian journalist.
He fired shots at former coach Cory Clouston and took swipes at the Ottawa media.

Among the lowlights: “The fact I am criticized … There are different journalists,” said Kovalev. “My opinion of Ottawa journalists is that they don’t watch hockey at all. When they fly with the team and go through the (metal detector) at an airport, their bags are filled with beer. You realize right away what these people do when they write about the NHL.”

Surely, he’s not talking about your fine servants Mr. Garrioch and Mr. Brennan. Don’t think so.
Plus you get can’t get liquids through security. Kovalev’s performance on a lot of nights has probably left the GM’s who signed him in need of a stiff drink or two but never the journalists.

Then there was Clouston: “In two seasons I still couldn’t understand the ideas of our coach Cory Clouston. It seemed that he scoffed at some players,” said Kovalev.

OK. So he’s not alone there.
If he wasn't talking about you, Bruce, who was he talking about? The Citizen? Certainly not.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Anything that makes ol' Boo Boo and Dum Dum Donnie look stupid to the rest of the world is all aces in my books!

If anything, Kovalev's two year deal just paid off.
Very few if anyone out side of ottawa will care.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

6th Sens seems to be pretty angry about Kovy's comments...surely he didn't think he was talking about him.