HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Kovalev Torches Media, Clouston in Interview

Old
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Awesome. Always a good day when Sun media gets ripped a new one.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Another self centered Russian player who thinks he is right & everyone else who thinks they are self serving, lazy & money hungry is wrong. Isn't this the same Kovalev who was sent home in Montreal for non-performance & none of the HOFers in Montreal or managment in Montreal couldn figure this guy out or get him to compete consistently. He has been a right off for the last few yrs with glimpses or teasers of what's possible occassionaly but the majority of the time lackadaisical incompetence. Another guy who was lucky that a hockey pay cheque was not based on performance or he would still be owing money in several cities. Another example of wasted talent on the wrong player.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Kovy is one of the few that played here that was interesting on and off the ice.
Most times this team is full of dry, monotone robots. Even Jason Spezza has had the personality beaten out of him by the fanbase.

He's also right about the media; they zone in on talented players and run them out of town while grinders are adulated.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
6th Sens seems to be pretty angry about Kovy's comments...surely he didn't think he was talking about him.
Yeah, settle down guys you don't work for the team or are married to the players so why take it so personally?

#it'sagameplayedbymultimillionairesgetsomeperspect ive.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Good stuff, the comments about the media, and part of the Clouston comments.

While everyone is eager to hate on Clouston, the part about benching is sour grapes from when Clouston benched Kovalev, kinda funny he was this insulted. If he needed to be told why he was benched with the way he was playing then, he really doesn't know much about hockey himself.

The comments about the (non-existant) system and media are pretty telling. Nice to see someone with the balls to say it.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Good for Kovalev! But he's still a piece of ****.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
"It seemed that he scoffed at some players. You have to treat players kindly. If you leave someone on the bench, you should explain why it happened. This is coach's job. But when a player is benched and doesn't understand what is happening, he becomes lost." - Kovalev

LOL Kovalev needs to have it explained to him that he skates like a bum and is useless?

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Kovy is one of the few that played here that was interesting on and off the ice.
Most times this team is full of dry, monotone robots. Even Jason Spezza has had the personality beaten out of him by the fanbase.

He's also right about the media; they zone in on talented players and run them out of town while grinders are adulated.
i agree with that.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Apaharn

Quote:

The same can also be said about the fanbase.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apaharn View Post
The same can also be said about the fanbase.
Indeed. The less intelligent fans are always easily swayed by the trite written in that tabloid though. When talking to casual fans, rarely do I ever get an informed opinion or original thought. Its quite easy to tell who watches games and who doesn't.

Old
08-08-2011, 04:17 PM
PanniniClaus

As Kovalev heads to the other side of the water it is too bad it ends this way. He is a player whose games I would search out on the hockey package in the late 90's and early into the 2000's.

He is very eccentric and I think sees himself more of an artist and a touch above others. Technically brilliant, strong as a bull and a handful when in the mood - he was never one to waste much energy and no Captain, veteran or hard working plug could shame him into working harder. He saw himself as more intelligent and above chasing down pucks.

I think the league was better for having him and he will be missed. As far as him and coaches go - I cannot see him and any coach being on the same wave length Coaching him would require an acceptance of occasional brilliance and plenty of frustration.

On the topic of Gonchar not knowing the system? That makes me laugh. What system has Gonchar ever known? Get the puck and shoot it hard. He has some of the same issues as Kovalev when it comes to nonchalance and indifference. Gonchar knows where the bank machine is. Clouston's failure was in not understanding these types of players and the fact that coaching everyone the same does not work.

Last edited by PanniniClaus: 08-08-2011 at 06:46 PM.
PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
I wish Kovy ripped into Brennan and Garrioch more.
I was hoping the same thing.

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
At least now we know Brennan and Garrioch write most of their articles hammered. Makes a little more sense now.
I find even is this gov't town, people (especially the media) think they can half-a.s.s it as still keep their jobs

No wonder these idiots aren't in the big media centres

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Indeed. The less intelligent fans are always easily swayed by the trite written in that tabloid though. When talking to casual fans, rarely do I ever get an informed opinion or original thought. Its quite easy to tell who watches games and who doesn't.
Do you ever feel like the casual fan actually thinks you know less about the team because everything you say flies right over their head, especially people who don't know how closely you follow.

It's hard to forcefully dumb it down sometimes.

Sometimes I just give in, "Yeah, Bryan Murray is awful, why did he ever draft Brian Lee anyways".

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Do you ever feel like the casual fan actually thinks you know less about the team because everything you say flies right over their head, especially people who don't know how closely you follow.

It's hard to forcefully dumb it down sometimes.

Sometimes I just give in, "Yeah, Bryan Murray is awful, why did he ever draft Brian Lee anyways".
Oh, the other day I was told firmly that Bryan Murray traded Chara away. Despite my correction of everything that has to do with that statement, apparently I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.

I generally find it difficult to have a conversation with people about things I'm passionate about unless the other party is equally passionate. This doesn't just apply to hockey but its a great example as you've pointed out.

Old
08-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Minister of Offence

You get to see quickly how useless peoples opinions are based on how little thought it takes for them to reach them.

Still, can't wait for hockey season...

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Oh, the other day I was told firmly that Bryan Murray traded Chara away. Despite my correction of everything that has to do with that statement, apparently I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.
That's the problem with dealing with the kids. Anything more than a few years old is beyond their comprehension.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
That's the problem with dealing with the kids. Anything more than a few years old is beyond their comprehension.
This individual was in their late 40s.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
This individual was in their late 40s.
Damn kids.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
tubby

Quote:

If you want excitement off the ice we can call back Kovalev, Emery, McGrattan and see how better our team will be.

tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
pt_mck

Quote:

I generally find it difficult to have a conversation with people about things I'm passionate about unless the other party is equally passionate. This doesn't just apply to hockey but its a great example as you've pointed out.
A lot of people saying Murray should go I speak with list his mistakes. My response is mostly "No, that was Muckler's decision"

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
trobby

What a joke Kova-slow is.
$10 Million for 2-years, to play with the level of disinterest he did, he should be greatful. Without the Ottawa offer, the next offer would have been about 1-year, 2.5M max.

As far as Clouston goes, I was happy with his style he deployed here. From a fans perspective, it included a lot of movement, and accountability. Something Kovalev doesn`t enjoy. I didn`t always agree with personnel moves, and shifting players after 3 shifts, but that`s a different story. His coaching style was a 180 degrees different from Hartsburg, and too me that was refreshing.

As for the media, let`s get real, they`re not idiots, they wouldn`t try to take beer with their luggage...come on.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
What a joke Kova-slow is.
$10 Million for 2-years, to play with the level of disinterest he did, he should be greatful. Without the Ottawa offer, the next offer would have been about 1-year, 2.5M max.

As far as Clouston goes, I was happy with his style he deployed here. From a fans perspective, it included a lot of movement, and accountability. Something Kovalev doesn`t enjoy. I didn`t always agree with personnel moves, and shifting players after 3 shifts, but that`s a different story. His coaching style was a 180 degrees different from Hartsburg, and too me that was refreshing.

As for the media, let`s get real, they`re not idiots, they wouldn`t try to take beer with their luggage...come on.
Brian Elliott nods his head as lets in another soft goal.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
I wish Kovy ripped into Brennan and Garrioch more.
reality is, those morons are more of a sports embarrassment to this city then Kovy ever was.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
jbeck5

Quote:

Easily solved by pulling out your phone and googling it. You always gotta bet a few beers first, though.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote