HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Paul Holmgren in Philadelphia invited Hyka to the Flyers camp. He even played a pre-season game for them.

Problem is, he played last year in Europe. Meaning he is still eligible for the NHL Entry Draft and is not able to be signed. He has now broadcasted Hyka in an NHL pre-season game for every one to see. A guy they could've had in the 7th round, is now known and will likely see his name called in the upcoming draft.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Andy

Still can't believe they threw a banana at Simmonds.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Paul Holmgren in Philadelphia invited Hyka to the Flyers camp. He even played a pre-season game for them.

Problem is, he played last year in Europe. Meaning he is still eligible for the NHL Entry Draft and is not able to be signed. He has now broadcasted Hyka in an NHL pre-season game for every one to see. A guy they could've had in the 7th round, is now known and will likely see his name called in the upcoming draft.
Scored a nice goal in the game he played too

The best part is, they thought about taking him in the 7th, but figured they could sign him instead and not waste a pick on him, so they drafted some goon instead. Boggles my mind.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Still can't believe they threw a banana at Simmonds.
Not really surprising IMO...surprising yes in a sense that i'm surprised someone had the balls to do that, usuall, racists are cowards and only 'support their cause' behind closed doors.

But not really surprising that, that's happened at a hockey game...i've known a few black players who have played hockey at various levels and none of this is new, it's been happening for years.

One of the greatest myths that exist is that racism doesn't exist anymore...hockey especially, at least IMO, still hasn't gotten through the barrier but that's not surprising, the NHL is always behind the curve.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not really surprising IMO...surprising yes in a sense that i'm surprised someone had the balls to do that, usuall, racists are cowards and only 'support their cause' behind closed doors.

But not really surprising that, that's happened at a hockey game...i've known a few black players who have played hockey at various levels and none of this is new, it's been happening for years.

One of the greatest myths that exist is that racism doesn't exist anymore...hockey especially, at least IMO, still hasn't gotten through the barrier but that's not surprising, the NHL is always behind the curve.
It's shameful. Actually it's been one of my biggest fears since Subban has started playing with us that he'll enter into a Boston or Philadelphia arena and be subject to that Garbage!

Old
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:

Old
09-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
It's shameful. Actually it's been one of my biggest fears since Subban has started playing with us that he'll enter into a Boston or Philadelphia arena and be subject to that Garbage!
I'd be really surprised if this happened in the US actually, especially now in Philly since they have Simmonds. Most US cities are huge sports cities and most have great black athletes, it really wouldn't make sense

Old
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Andy

Wow, video explanations as to why people get suspended. It's about ****ing time.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'd be really surprised if this happened in the US actually, especially now in Philly since they have Simmonds. Most US cities are huge sports cities and most have great black athletes, it really wouldn't make sense
Not quite sure making sense is on their priority list to begin with.

Quote:
Wow, video explanations as to why people get suspended. It's about ****ing time.
It's really cool for them to do this. I wonder if they'll only do it for suspensions or for controversial hits that aren't deemed to be worth a suspension after review.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
09-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not quite sure making sense is on their priority list to begin with.
That's true especially those 2 cities but I would still be surprised if they did something like that

Old
09-23-2011, 11:14 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Believe me, Subban grew up in a tough neighborhood playing what is more or less considered a 'white man's' game. I'm sure he's heard it all already. Not that it makes it acceptable, but part of what make's P.K who he is is that positive attitude he's always got.

Quote:
That's true especially those 2 cities but I would still be surprised if they did something like that
I wouldn't. People need to realize that most things of this nature are caused by one idiot who is probably drunk and trying to get a laugh out of his friends. It's stupid and immature, but it's not like anyone should take this seriously. The more attention you pay to garbage like this, the more people will do it for their share of the spotlight.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I wouldn't. People need to realize that most things of this nature are caused by one idiot who is probably drunk and trying to get a laugh out of his friends. It's stupid and immature, but it's not like anyone should take this seriously. The more attention you pay to garbage like this, the more people will do it for their share of the spotlight.
In cities like Boston and especially Philly, fans can easily turn on you even if you're cheering for the same team, they don't care and start fights for fun

Old
09-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Believe me, Subban grew up in a tough neighborhood playing what is more or less considered a 'white man's' game. I'm sure he's heard it all already. Not that it makes it acceptable, but part of what make's P.K who he is is that positive attitude he's always got.

To ignore it and act like it doesn't happen or it's just one or two people here and there, is just as shortsighted IMO.

Take a look at Subban last year, he got booed in arenas he never even played in before...I don't agree that it's a rare occurence at hockey games. The truth is, hockey and it's fans still aren't quite used to black hockey players...it's still very much somewhat of a novelty.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Regarding illegal hits..

Why am I laughing every time Schneider looks at Shanahan?

Old
09-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Compare this to Campbell's version of transparency, ie going on TSN Radio and basically calling the two hosts idiots for disagreeing with him.

On the subject of minorities in hockey, Off The Record had an excellent panel a couple months ago with Kevin Weekes, Wayne Simmonds, Anthony Stewart and I believe Joel Ward. Even had two of their fathers there discussing their lives growing up playing the sport as first generation immigrants.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:24 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
To ignore it and act like it doesn't happen or it's just one or two people here and there, is just as shortsighted IMO.
I'm not saying to ignore it, I'm just saying we shouldn't freak out and act all sanctimonious about **** like this because it just shows the idiots of this world that they can get the reaction they want.Dude from London wasn't likely out to hurt Simmonds' feelings. He wanted to be part of a story, the spotlight, the talk at the water cooler. Like ethnic slurs, actions like these only have as much power as you give them.

Yes, it's unfortunate that people are still this stupid. But at a certain point the world needs to move forward, with or without the inbreds who think **** like this is funny.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Shanahan is boss.

Old
09-23-2011, 11:49 AM
skule123

If Shanahan keeps up the video explanations, this will help us realize what a terrible job Colin Campbell did, and what a disgrace he was to his job.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Who cares about the banana thrown? People are so sensitive these days. One bigot does something, ignore them! Given attention he thinks he did something cool. No matter where you go you will find an idiot doing something. I can't believe he got passed security with a banana in his pocket, or maybe the security guard thought he (maybe she) was happy to see them

Old
09-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying to ignore it, I'm just saying we shouldn't freak out and act all sanctimonious about **** like this because it just shows the idiots of this world that they can get the reaction they want.Dude from London wasn't likely out to hurt Simmonds' feelings. He wanted to be part of a story, the spotlight, the talk at the water cooler. Like ethnic slurs, actions like these only have as much power as you give them.

Yes, it's unfortunate that people are still this stupid. But at a certain point the world needs to move forward, with or without the inbreds who think **** like this is funny.
Fair enough...just don't agree with the attitude that stuff like this shouldn't be talked about. It allows cowards like that to keep doing stuff like this in the shadows...but that's just me.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:27 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Fair enough...just don't agree with the attitude that stuff like this shouldn't be talked about. It allows cowards like that to keep doing stuff like this in the shadows...but that's just me.
Agree, also just because we ignore em' , wont make em' stop acting racist. I'm pretty sure its more then just a few 'drunk' aholes; they might be the ones to be bonehead enough to act on their racism, but believe me there probably was alot of people in that arena that had a good chuckle.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
le_sean

Quote:
In cities like Boston and especially Philly, fans can easily turn on you even if you're cheering for the same team, they don't care and start fights for fun
I could maybe see fans in Boston doing this simply because the community is mostly Irish and Italian. Not that these groups should be labelled as racist but historically speaking they aren't the friendliest in terms of accepting different cultures and ethnicities.

Philly has crazy fans but that city is very diverse. I wouldn't expect it from there.

Either way the incident happened in Canada. So we aren't so innocent ourselves. In fact some stupid fan did the sane thing to Kevin Weekes here.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
shamrun

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...dro-98176.html

We can hear PK subban take on what happened to Simmonds here.

I think its gutless and stupid. I wished someone caught the person doing this on camera.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I could maybe see fans in Boston doing this simply because the community is mostly Irish and Italian. Not that these groups should be labelled as racist but historically speaking they aren't the friendliest in terms of accepting different cultures and ethnicities.

Philly has crazy fans but that city is very diverse. I wouldn't expect it from there.

Either way the incident happened in Canada. So we aren't so innocent ourselves. In fact some stupid fan did the sane thing to Kevin Weekes here.
Absolutely agree le_sean, no way we are better in Canada, both happened in Canada. Someone mentioned now that we had Subban he thought something like that could have happened to him and those are the 2 cities that came up in discussion, but we aren't better I agree

Old
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Gros Bill

Could've been worse...

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/...s-on-city.html

Closed Thread